Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
l The Thomson-McDuffie Recreation Department will begin a fall travel baseball league for the following age groups: 8-under machine pitch; 8-under kid pitch; 9-under; 10-under; and 11-under. Play will be on Saturdays only, on the following dates: Sept. 13 and 27 ; Oct. 4 and 18 ; and Nov. 1 . Teams will play two games per Saturday for a total of 10 games. All games will be played at Sweetwater Park Complex in Thomson. The deadline to enter your team will be Aug. 29 . The entry fee for the leagues will be $400 for machine pitch and $500 for all other leagues. Baseballs will be supplied. For more information or to enter, call (706) 595-2152 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Georgia Lightning 14-under travel baseball team is looking for several dedicated players for the upcoming season. For more information, contact Billy Kelley at (706) 825-9898.
- Atomic City Sports will play host to the fourth annual Atomic City Summer Blast on Saturday-Sunday at Citizens Park in Aiken for baseball teams and girls fast-pitch teams ages 8-18U. Please visit atomiccitysports.org or call (803) 292-9993 for entry information.
- The Harlem Crush 11-under travel baseball team is looking for dedicated players. Pitchers are a plus. If you are interested, contact Emmett Perdue at (706) 556-8335 or (706) 825-8591 or Bobby Burke at (706) 863-0696.
- Registration is now open for the CSRA Fall Baseball League. Any child ages 8-18 can participate. The fee is $50 per player or $500 for a full team. The season will run for six weeks, beginning Sept. 15 , and games will be played on Tuesdays and Thursdays . Registration forms will be accepted until Aug. 25 . For more information or to register, visit www.csraleague.com.
- The Aiken/Edgefield District of the South Carolina Football Officials Association is looking for individuals interested in becoming football officials for the 2008 season and beyond. For more information, call Ron Paul at (803) 221-9218 or Steve Hook at (860) 303-3718.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department will hold registration for adult flag football through Aug. 31 . To register, call Lida Gregg at (706) 842-2682.
- The GT Club of Augusta is sponsoring a bus trip to the Georgia Tech/Jacksonville State game on Aug. 28 . The bus will be parked in the Hooters parking lot and will depart at 4 p.m. for the game, which begins at 7:30. The bus will drop all passengers off within one block of the stadium and will pick up all passengers after the game. The cost of the bus trip is $35 and does not include tickets to the game. For more information, contact Kent Gilbreath at (706) 860-4045 or (803) 208-8237.
- The Town of Jackson, S.C., is accepting registration for Pee Wee Football and cheerleading. Registration fees are $50 for football and $70 for cheerleading for ages 7-12. You may register at the Jackson Municipal Complex at 106 Main Street in Jackson from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday through Friday . Deadline to register is Friday .
- The Eagle Sports Guardians football team is looking for private and home-school students ages 13-18 to play for its team. Practices are Monday through Friday, excluding Wednesday, from 6-8 p.m. Cost is $250 per player for pads and equipment. For more information, call (706) 739-0113 or (803) 275-0643.
l The Egolf Amateur Tour of Augusta will play its next event at Forest Hills Golf Club on Aug. 19 . There will be a 9:30 a.m. shotgun start. The entry fee is $65. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Phil Robinson at (706) 414-1170 or visit www.amateurgolftour.net.
- Men Making A Difference will hold a golf tournament at Gordon Lakes Golf Club on Aug. 23 . Check-in is from 10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., with a 12:30 p.m. shotgun start. Entry fee is $35 for members of Gordon Lakes and $45 for nonmembers. To sign up, call Willie Williams at (706) 791-3007 or (706) 627-3234 or Willie J. Battle at (706) 592-2280 or (706) 231-2007.
- The Georgia Tech Club of Augusta will hold its 12th annual golf tournament on Aug. 23 at Forest Hills Golf Club. The format will be a four-person Lauderdale, with a 9 a.m. shotgun start. For more information or to sign up, contact Chip Cochran at (706) 726-8658 or Don Thorstad at (706) 724-5756 or (706) 733-6263.
- The John de la Howe School Alumni Association Open Golf Tournament will be held at Savannah Lakes Village's Monticello Championship Golf Course in McCormick on Aug. 23. The cost is $70 per player, and the field is limited to 30 four-man teams. There will be a 1 p.m. shotgun start, and the play will be in the Captain's Choice, Team Handicap format. Registration begins at noon on the day of the event. For information, call Ann Caughman at (864) 391-0424.
- The USC Aiken women's basketball team will hold a "Fun-Raising" Golf Tournament on Sept. 15 at Woodside Plantation. The tournament will have three formats: The "Three Pointer Flight" for men, women or mixed teams. It will be Lauderdale, with 80 percent handicap. Cost is $75 per player, $300 per team; The "Free Throw Flight" for men, women and mixed teams. It will be Captain's Choice/Scramble. Cost is $75 per player, $300 per team. The "Lay-up Flight" for women only. It will be a nine-hole Captain's Choice/Scramble. Cost is $45, $180 per team. Proceeds go to fund the team's participation in the Disney Division II Tip-Off East Coast Classic. For more information, contact Mike Brandt at (803) 641-3491 or at email@example.com or Cindy Hilbrich at (803) 641-3638 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health Central will be teaming up with the Family Y to sponsor a "Fitness Field Day" and Katie York Night at the GreenJackets game on Saturday at Lake Olmstead Stadium. Fitness Field Day will be held that morning from 10 a.m. to noon. The entry fee for Field Day will also get you a hat and a ticket to the game that evening at 7:05. Tickets are $8 for general admission and $10 for reserved seating. That night will be Katie York Night. Katie was an active member of Health Central who passed away in May, just shy of her 21st birthday. Proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to Katie's Pool for adaptive aquatics at the Family Y. Only tickets purchased in advance for Health Central or the Family Y will benefit Katie's Pool. For Katie's amazing story, go to chronicle.augusta.com/stories/071308/mic_465558.shtml.
- The Augusta Junior Rowing Club invites parents and youth ages 12-18 to the Fall Open House at the Boathouse, 101 Riverfront Dr., on Aug. 19 at 6 p.m. For more information, visit www.augustarowingclub.org.
- Tryouts for North Augusta High's girls team will begin Monday at 4:15 p.m. at Riverview Park. Anyone wishing to participate must have a current physical on file. You must be present on the first day to be eligible. If you have any questions, contact coach Betsy Luquire at (803) 442-6100 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department will hold fall registration for adult volleyball through Aug. 31 . To register, call Lida Gregg at (706) 842-2682.
- Python Gym's Strongest Man/Strongest Woman "Reps" contest will be held at 11 a.m. on Aug. 23 at Python Gym, 2250 Lumpkin Road. Entry fee is $30. Contests will include reps in the bench press, dead lift and military press, as well as lateral and dumbell hold for time. For additional information, call (706) 790-3806.