Across the area

Man says robbers took credit cards, vehicle

Police are searching for two men accused of robbing and injuring a man at a downtown hotel Friday night.

The victim told police that while he sat in his SUV at Budget Inn in the 400 block of Broad Street two men approached him about 11:30 p.m., striking him on the head with a handgun. He said the men entered his vehicle and they drove to a Wachovia ATM to withdraw money from the victim's account. The men reportedly took $300 from the ATM, drove the man back to the hotel and left with the man's vehicle, cash and two credit cards.

Break-ins reported at Augusta area schools

Authorities discovered Saturday that two Augusta area schools had been broken into.

In one case, Richmond County sheriff's deputies responded to Alleluia High School, in the 2000 block of Peach Orchard Road, at 1:39 a.m., according to a sheriff's office report. A witness stated that four men ran from the school and had entered through a rear door. No items were reported stolen.

The second case was reported at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Southside Elementary School, 3310 Old Louisville Road. The break-in reportedly happened between 5 p.m. Friday and 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Someone pried open a classroom window and took a Dell computer worth $650.

Police seek two men in afternoon holdup

Police say two armed men robbed an Augusta convenience store Saturday afternoon.

The holdup at the Golden Pantry Food Store in the 3000 block of Mike Padgett Highway occurred about 4:30 p.m., according to an Augusta 911 dispatch supervisor. Two men reportedly entered the store wearing do-rags over their faces and held up the store clerk. Authorities were unsure what was taken in the robbery.

Road check results in several arrests

Richmond County police made several traffic arrests Friday night while conducting a road check in Barton Village.

Sheriff's deputies, Special Operations Bureau units and the Georgia State Patrol conducted the check from about 10 p.m. to midnight. There were 30 cases, including two DUIs, three outstanding warrants, five suspended or unlicensed drivers and 20 other assorted charges, according to a sheriff's office news release.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/10/08 - 07:33 am
Okay, so I beat you, rob you

Okay, so I beat you, rob you but I gave you a ride back to the original crime scene, not knowing if anyone had called the police? Yeah, what a couple of nice crooks.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/10/08 - 07:55 am
So, one crime on Broad Street

So, one crime on Broad Street and a bevy of crimes in South Augusta. Is this paper trying to make South Augusta look bad?

Rupret in the middle east
Rupret in the middle east 08/10/08 - 08:19 am
I am a black male working in

I am a black male working in Iraq, I don't know what is wrong with south augusta, but I would say the brother need to tighten up and stop all the robbing, mugging, and shooting. Every time some one white say something about south augusta it is a race thing. I hope we can police up our neighborhood and the court system put those low life behing bars.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/10/08 - 09:43 am
Rupret, thanks for your

Rupret, thanks for your service. Like you I am so tired of reading about hard working people getiing robbed, murdered, raped or whatever by these thugs. The fact of the matter is that they are some sorry azzes who are just too lazy to work for a living. Have no self respect, therefore have no respect for others and their property or life. It's no one fault but their own. I am not just talking about Blacks, I mean criminals of all races. We can sit here and talk about the past all day long and it will not change. We cannot blame things on our past nor on the present. It is cop out to blame someone else, for being a low life, murdering, raping, robbing piece of human waste.

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 08/10/08 - 10:11 am
South Augusta makes itself

South Augusta makes itself look bad without any help, thank you. Criminals are criminals; whether they are black or white is only an issue for statisticians. Until we as a society begin to once again punish criminals, the situation will only get worse.

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 08/10/08 - 02:14 pm
i can remember when south

i can remember when south augusta was the place to be.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/10/08 - 02:16 pm
I hope the next time these

I hope the next time these crooks steal.. they are met with a gun in their face.... all of them!!! Maybe that'll deter them!! [filtered word]'s!!!!!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/10/08 - 02:16 pm
I hope the next time these

IBpolyticken
IBpolyticken 08/10/08 - 08:32 pm
Rupret, I agree

Rupret, I agree wholeheartedly. I am a white male who has lived in South Augusta for almost 30 years. My children attend one of the schools in the article that was robbed. We do have criminals (black and white) in our area but we also have wonderful people (black and white) that love South Augusta and need to work together to take back our neighborhoods. We need to be in prayer,be faithful to look out for one another, and insist that these criminals pay the price for their crimes. I also want to thank you Rupret for your service to our country. God bless you.

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.