Entertainment media is out of control

I have spent a few evenings lately watching network television and listening to local radio. I'm told that a responsible parent needs to be aware of what their kids are watching and listening to.

Recently my young kids and I were treated to a TV commercial talking up a hot new program about a man who had a baby. We got to see his belly and everything. What does a responsible parent do at a moment like this? Change the channel? I tried to, but it was too late. I think with all my scrambling about, the kids were probably distracted anyway.

This occasion was followed by a network show in which a man fell down an escalator, blood pouring from his privates. The postmortem was grim: his "penis and testicles had been cut off."

Later, there was a murder mystery with a pretty girl and her cranky and controlling husband. But wait, there's more: The pretty girl is having a lesbian tryst with the housemaid.

Where will it stop? While in the car I scanned the radio waves for something upbeat and different. I found it. A local radio station was playing what I guess is a new song by some energetic young ladies. The words they sang went something like this: "I kissed a girl and I liked it."

Who actually enjoys the unmitigated drivel that pours forth from popular media these days? Is this entertainment fit for today's minors, let alone an adult who is attempting to live a life of honor? Is this what we will leave to our kids -- an America that is adrift at sea without a rudder? What lies ahead for our country, given this entertainment trajectory?

Dave Wallace

Aiken, S.C.

younameit
younameit 08/09/08 - 04:50 am
Dave, if you use the

Dave, if you use the reasoning of Don Tate, who wrote the previous letter, Americans should approve such smut as long as we can extract tax money from it. Everything's for sale, even that which separates us from the beasts - our souls. And for people like you who object, the entertainment industry waves its painfully twisted interpretation of the first amendment like a sword.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/09/08 - 05:08 am
Mr. Wallace, do you have the

Mr. Wallace, do you have the V-CHIP? Also, do you bring your own CDs or cassettes when you're on the highway? If the answer to both are yes, then I would highly recommend you do both at all times.

I mostly don't object to the music being played on the radio. My main objection is the destruction of our music by the radio industry -- by editing for time. Shortening songs for airplay is the most heinous act any DJ, or radio station for that matter, could ever committ. The FCC needs to make this practice illegal. I always say this: play the song in its full length or don't play it at all. Enough said.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/09/08 - 06:49 am
Mr Wallace, my father would

Mr Wallace, my father would have written this same letter in 1965. He certainly gave this speech enough. He was probably right too, but time still marches on.

jsterett
jsterett 08/09/08 - 06:53 am
What should we expect from a

What should we expect from a society addicted to "entertainment"? As with other addictions the entertainment addict seeks ever increasing levels of stimulation to satisfy the craving and the entertainment industry has to provide that level of stimulation or suffer the consequences of decling ratings.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/09/08 - 07:26 am
Good grief don't you people

Good grief don't you people have a button to turn off your TV? Why should I be bombarded daily with your moral beliefs? I can think for myself thank you very much. Maybe I like to watch crime dramas with a little blood and gore. Maybe it's my business what I watch in my living room. There is obviously a demand for these types of programs. Last time I checked we live in a free market society. I have the right to like terrible blood and gore with nudity entertainment and you have the right to turn it off or get rid of your TV. STOP trying to tell me what I can watch and be entertained by!!!!

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 08/09/08 - 07:47 am
Why do more families have to

Why do more families have to watch TV when they can actually have a family night by playing games and having some fun? TV should be viewed small amounts when activities should be increased to reduce the kids from getting fat, and adults would do well to lead their kids in this direction. Just my opinion, but it does create a better health agenda for the family.

LaTwon
LaTwon 08/09/08 - 08:28 am
its all part of the

its all part of the process....... schools turn out idiots that sit and stuff their faces with cheetos and are easily amused by nonsense while bombarded with ads so they can mortgage their futures for junk they do not need. consumerism rocks........
then u get a stimulus check for not doin a damn thing so you can enable quarterly profits to meet the street forecast, keep us rich folks rich and working out at the country club or a fine caribbean spa while you continue your spiral into chronic obesity and dependence on da gubment. aint it grand? what did brittany and paris do yesterday?

christian134
christian134 08/09/08 - 01:53 pm
This smut did not begin

This smut did not begin yesterday or the day before that or last year or even 10 years ago..It has been stomping right all for the past 40 odd years...The more people looked the other way and failed to see anything wrong the more this sort of behavior was becoming the "norm" not the abnormal..People start to become desensitized to where the smut is accepted behavior and the absence is to be considered right-wing conservative fanatical Christian rantings...What has to happen is a revival of morality as normal behavior and that is not going to happen anytime soon. The tide is going to change only with the younger parents who will stand up and fight for the children of the future. Fight for the right of people to enjoy entertainment without the filthy language, sex scenes and inferences to abnormal partnerships of men and men and women to women...It is here to stay and will only worsen with time if people don't take a stand and say enough is enough...I don't care to see men and men kissing and engaging in sexual contact as well as women and women or opposite sex acts in my living room all the while they are cursing..All this in prime-time...Which by the way used to mean something...

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/09/08 - 02:21 pm
I agree Christian. Some

I agree Christian. Some things I do not want to see. That's why I change the channel or do not patronize a particular channel that condones things I do not agree with. Freewill at its best.

FedupwithAUG
FedupwithAUG 08/09/08 - 03:24 pm
I agree with wylds.

I agree with wylds.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/09/08 - 04:15 pm
christian134, your 14:53

christian134, your 14:53 remarks signifies a larger problem. And that problem is that you and Mr. Wallace and others like you professes to be for less government, but yet you want the government to control what we as ADULTS can watch -- that's people 18 years of age or up. Are we trying to control what you can or cannot watch? If it is something I don't like, I either flip the channel or turn it off. Why can't some of you do the same thing?

That is why I am glad that we have had DirecTV for 13 years now. Maybe you should consider getting DirecTV, christian134. They have religious channels on there, between ch. 365-374, I believe. correct me if I am wrong.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs