Baby left in car for an hour dies

A 6-week-old boy died late Thursday night after being left in the back seat of his mother's car for an hour as the heat index soared above 100 degrees.

Lisa Marie Morris, 25, of the 2400 block of Patrick Avenue, Hephzibah, was arrested Thursday and is facing a charge of felony murder, said Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Ken Rogers.

Investigator Thelma Gilchrist said the child, whose name wasn't released, was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital in critical condition Thursday afternoon. Sgt. Rogers said the child died at 10:04 p.m.

Investigator Gilchrist said the baby was left in Ms. Morris' vehicle from about 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. outside Ms. Morris' home. She said the mother apparently forgot the child was inside the car, which had its windows rolled up.

Investigator Gilchrist said police were informed about 2:30 p.m., after Ms. Morris took the infant to MCG.

Ms. Morris told police she had returned home from taking her 4-year-old daughter to the doctor's office and asked her cousin "where's the baby," Investigator Gilchrist said.

After her cousin said she was unaware of the infant's whereabouts, Ms. Morris said she checked the rear seat of her black, 2000 Dodge Neon, Investigator Gilchrist said.

"She told us that the child was unresponsive and was blowing bubbles through his nose and mouth," Investigator Gilchrist said.

The temperature at Augusta's Bush Field Airport at noon Thursday was 95 with a heat index of 104, said Tim Hawks, a National Weather Service meteorologist in West Columbia, S.C. Thursday's high temperature was 101 at 3 p.m., he said.

Police said the child's father and another man were inside the residence, but the father was asleep. Ms. Morris told authorities she and the father had been arguing, which could have caused her to become disoriented.

Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen said an autopsy is scheduled for this morning at the Augusta GBI crime lab.

THE CHRONICLE BROKE THIS STORY ON ITS WEB SITE AT 8:37 P.M. THURSDAY.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 08/08/08 - 12:27 pm
To those who insist we should

To those who insist we should feel sorry for the mother because she 'lost a child,' I have to ask whose fault is it she 'lost' the child? Should we feel sympathy for a man who has murdered his parents because he's an orphan? My feeling is that the mother was incompetent due either to retardation or substance abuse. My money is on the later. Whatever the reason, an innocent baby is dead as a result and I'm not prepared to speculate as to how much grief/guilt a parent feels as a consequence. At the very least, it's manslaughter.

If a person steals a wheelbarrow he can give it back or pay the victim for the loss. He can apologize, do public service, make restitution, But no one can restore a person who is dead whether the death was by design or by oversight.

Lank
Lank 08/08/08 - 12:28 pm
Well, that's one thing

Well, that's one thing everyone could agree on.

Lank
Lank 08/08/08 - 12:29 pm
Sorry, last comment was about

Sorry, last comment was about it not being as warm this weekend

zzzzzzt
zzzzzzt 08/08/08 - 12:43 pm
As a single dad with 3 young

As a single dad with 3 young kids I know how hectic and stressed things can get. I'll admit I once forgot a bag of groceries in the car on a hot day and ended up an exploded milk jug and melted ice cream in the back seat, but how in Gods name do you forget a 6 week old baby? Talking on the phone? Excuse me, but again, unless it's an emergency, talking on the phone is a luxury that comes way down the line from taking care of a young child. How do you argue with a sleeping man?

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 08/08/08 - 01:03 pm
two words... birth

two words... birth control!!!!!!!!

john
john 08/08/08 - 01:18 pm
Nicole, thats what Willis

Nicole, thats what Willis thinks abortions are.

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 01:24 pm
5:00smwhr what in the world

5:00smwhr what in the world does being a Christian have to do with anything other than to let this person know that there is God and Jesus Christ who will forgive her and will help her. That in no way alters the fact that she committed an act so heinous that it boggles my mind and sears the soul to even contemplate the horrors of what that child endured. This mother has lived, still lives but her irresponsibility needs to be addressed in the harshest of sentences if only to send out a message to people that someone other than themselves, someone they have brought into this world, is more important than all their petty little squabbles or other excuses they can come up with...

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 08/08/08 - 01:55 pm
tjohns22....wrong,this woman

tjohns22....wrong,this woman is a candidate for the electric chair

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 08/08/08 - 02:02 pm
This is a good case for

This is a good case for sterilization for the mother and both parents should be given drug test.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/08/08 - 02:02 pm
What sick people to make

What sick people to make jokes about Obama, one less child to fail in school and other callous remarks. Shockingly not one of his/her fellow gang members called it on those remarks. SICK.

dale88fan
dale88fan 08/08/08 - 02:05 pm
saywhat - you are a fu@#$%

saywhat - you are a fu@#$% idiot!!

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 08/08/08 - 02:13 pm
Family planning and birth

Family planning and birth control are not promoted properly. The state needs to get in on the birth control business. Support The Birth Control Source on Walten way and Planned Parenthood which is downtown.

ab2229
ab2229 08/08/08 - 02:17 pm
You mean to tell me that

You mean to tell me that there were 4 adults in that house and NOT ONE of them wondered where that little baby was? This makes me absolutely SICK! When my child was that young he was in my sight EVERY SECOND of every day (and still is 3 1/2 years later). I have no sympathy or compassion for any of the adults involved in this situation! The only thing I will say in her defense is that she should not be the only one sitting in jail right now for this! This disturbs me TERRIBLY!

pooh2003baby
pooh2003baby 08/08/08 - 02:29 pm
Just Say No.....thank

Just Say No.....thank goodness i'm drug free

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 02:29 pm
Firefighter what does making

Firefighter what does making jokes about Obama have to do with the horror of that baby dying? And quite frankly Obama is a sick joke being played out on the American population at large...I keep hoping for the punch line soon as then I can laugh, give out a sigh of relief...That aside some of the remarks are quite nauseating in and of themselves but Obama, never figured into it...

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 02:32 pm
The baby was cooked alive and

The baby was cooked alive and we feel sorry for the living.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 08/08/08 - 02:37 pm
zzzzzt... your 12:43 shows

zzzzzt... your 12:43 shows great observations. I, too, am a single dad and I don't leave my car before double checking everything. How does one argue with a sleeping man? And all this phone talking in this town has got to stop. Too many people driving while digging in their back seats to grab the phone and moving forward down a busy hwy at 45-75mph. JUST HOW IMPORTANT IS A PHONE CALL????? Jeesh. Some folks just need to simplify their lives if they intend to exist as such imbeciles. If you can forget a child who is only a few weeks out of your belly, then something is drastically wrong with that mother. And no more crap about post par tum depression or distractions or arguments etc. This lady was having mental or emotional problems or she would not have forgotten her child. Drugs may have been it but being as she just came from the doc, I doubt it. But she is sick, and it was no accident. It was at the very least negligence of the highest order. Kinda like leaving a loaded 9mm on the coffee table for the kids to play with. Just as irresponsible. No excuse at all.

freebird
freebird 08/08/08 - 02:39 pm
I have one child (planned). I

I have one child (planned). I make it my business, my job, my duty to know where she is. If I was on a phone call and thought someone was getting her out of the car...I would stand there and watch them get her out or tell the person on the phone to "hold on" a min. If we have guest backing out of the driveway, I do not let them go until I have my had on my child..being a good parent is ALOT of work. How does a 25 yr old not know this? who raised her?

corgimom
corgimom 08/08/08 - 02:56 pm
I think there's more to the

I think there's more to the story than the paper reported.

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 03:00 pm
I'm sure these is lots that

I'm sure these is lots that we don't know about, but until we begin to focus on the victim and the pain they endure before dying, we will get nowhere. The pain of the family would not even begin to compare with that of the little boy.

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 03:00 pm
I'm sure there is lots that

I'm sure there is lots that we don't know about, but until we begin to focus on the victim and the pain they endure before dying, we will get nowhere. The pain of the family would not even begin to compare with that of the little boy.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/08/08 - 03:03 pm
christian, if you were not so

christian, if you were not so quick to come aftrer me, you would have read where PTHS made reference to Obama. But I guess you think the same way. Check out the 8:13am comment.

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 03:11 pm
I apologize about that

I apologize about that Firefighter...

asustudent75
asustudent75 08/08/08 - 03:21 pm
Well, as we all know, there

Well, as we all know, there will be several that will come to this woman's defense, but the facts are the facts. She literally cooked her child. How does anyone forget about their child? Bogus story. Well I just hope that her other child is in state custody right now, it could have been 2 children instead of just the newborn. Horrible, horrible story. God bless that little baby and his sister. As everyone can see, ANYONE WOMAN CAN GIVE BIRTH, BUT IT TAKES A SPECIAL PERSON TO BE A PARENT. Obviously this woman was not cut out for the parenting part. SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!!

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/08/08 - 03:23 pm
To tell you the truth, I

To tell you the truth, I don't see anything as funny anymore nor do I see anything that is worth laughing at anywhere around the world.

corgimom
corgimom 08/08/08 - 03:24 pm
"Murder is the crime of

"Murder is the crime of intentionally and unjustifiably killing another. Georgia does not have different degrees of murder and there is no requirement of premeditation. However, there are two different types of murder in Georgia. Malice murder is a homicide that is committed unlawfully and with malice aforethought. Felony murder is when a death occurs while the one is in the course of a committing another felony (e.g., kidnapping, armed robbery, aggravated assault). The State is not required to prove the intent to kill with a felony murder charge. Anyone convicted of murder or felony murder will be given a mandatory life sentence. "

So...apparently (allegedly) she was committing another felony while the baby died- puts a different light on it, doesn't it?

Batman
Batman 08/08/08 - 03:24 pm
The cousin needs to be

The cousin needs to be charged as well. She was not "disoriented" so why didn't she notice that no one had the child?? Wow, can't wait for the news story to come out about her children!

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/08/08 - 03:25 pm
reference to firefighter and

reference to firefighter and christian134 (14:29).

tdp
tdp 08/08/08 - 03:40 pm
My daughter is 3 & I have

My daughter is 3 & I have never once failed to remove her from the car after a trip, even when I was preoccupied with things such as an argument with my spouse. Did anyone test her for drugs? Also, how did an entire hour go by before any of the adults in the home realized that the baby was missing? Even if the child was asleep somewhere in the house, I would have checked on him every few minutes. This girl should have her remaining child taken away, be sterilized, and serve jail time for her negligence. It breaks my heart to think how that baby suffered before his death.

lady_alessandra
lady_alessandra 08/08/08 - 04:05 pm
i have three children - all

i have three children - all in their teens or older now, and I never "forgot" any of them and left them in the car. I always made them get out of the car even when they were being unruly. Sorry shoppers. I had the noisy kids in the store with me