Baby left in car for an hour dies

A 6-week-old boy died late Thursday night after being left in the back seat of his mother's car for an hour as the heat index soared above 100 degrees.

Lisa Marie Morris, 25, of the 2400 block of Patrick Avenue, Hephzibah, was arrested Thursday and is facing a charge of felony murder, said Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Ken Rogers.

Investigator Thelma Gilchrist said the child, whose name wasn't released, was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital in critical condition Thursday afternoon. Sgt. Rogers said the child died at 10:04 p.m.

Investigator Gilchrist said the baby was left in Ms. Morris' vehicle from about 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. outside Ms. Morris' home. She said the mother apparently forgot the child was inside the car, which had its windows rolled up.

Investigator Gilchrist said police were informed about 2:30 p.m., after Ms. Morris took the infant to MCG.

Ms. Morris told police she had returned home from taking her 4-year-old daughter to the doctor's office and asked her cousin "where's the baby," Investigator Gilchrist said.

After her cousin said she was unaware of the infant's whereabouts, Ms. Morris said she checked the rear seat of her black, 2000 Dodge Neon, Investigator Gilchrist said.

"She told us that the child was unresponsive and was blowing bubbles through his nose and mouth," Investigator Gilchrist said.

The temperature at Augusta's Bush Field Airport at noon Thursday was 95 with a heat index of 104, said Tim Hawks, a National Weather Service meteorologist in West Columbia, S.C. Thursday's high temperature was 101 at 3 p.m., he said.

Police said the child's father and another man were inside the residence, but the father was asleep. Ms. Morris told authorities she and the father had been arguing, which could have caused her to become disoriented.

Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen said an autopsy is scheduled for this morning at the Augusta GBI crime lab.

THE CHRONICLE BROKE THIS STORY ON ITS WEB SITE AT 8:37 P.M. THURSDAY.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

Comments (267)

fair is fair
fair is fair 08/08/08 - 08:48 am

Maybe the cousin was to get

Maybe the cousin was to get the baby out of the car- if she had a sick child. I always took my kids out of the car before I took other things out. I don't think she intentionally left the baby in the car.

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 08:50 am

No LaTwon, the baby boy, not

No LaTwon, the baby boy, not "it", had a name and he was horrifyingly slowly, boiled to death...

Equaltreatmentforall
Equaltreatmentforall 08/08/08 - 08:51 am

This poor woman. This is a

This poor woman. This is a very sad and unforunte accident and I'm sure this mother is suffering beyond amagination. My heart and prayers go out to her and her family.

sliique
sliique 08/08/08 - 08:52 am

That glass pipe causes many

That glass pipe causes many problems and quite a few of you so-called "clique," members around here, that THINK you run this R & R, need to leave that glass puipe alone, too.

mommie2
mommie2 08/08/08 - 08:56 am

Amen Christian! Hold it

Amen Christian! Hold it down. I'm out for the day.

teachingthemasses
teachingthemasses 08/08/08 - 08:57 am

Ever hear of sleep

Ever hear of sleep deprivation?

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 08/08/08 - 08:58 am

In today's world and with

In today's world and with today's attitude by most people, why can't we just say "my bad" and forget about it?

heartablazing
heartablazing 08/08/08 - 08:59 am

The District Attorney filed

The District Attorney filed those charges for two reasons. One was for investigation purpose so he can now probe into her background. If she has a criminal history he can use that against her to make charges stick. The other reason is that her lawyers can plea bargain these charges to a lesser charge before trial. Most people would take a lesser charge than have to endure what the outcome may be if a jury gets involved. Either way the DA's office wins her attorney wins because he got charges reduced and everybody looks good in the end. In the judicial system you are guilty until proven innocent not the other way around.

sunflower61
sunflower61 08/08/08 - 09:07 am

I say lock her up in a car

I say lock her up in a car for an hour with the windows rolled up and see if she survives. How could a mother forget her 6 week old child is in the backseat. I just can't understand that. From the looks of her picture, she looks like a crack addict or meth addict.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/08/08 - 09:09 am

If only we had diverted

If only we had diverted windfall profits from Exon earlier we could have prevented this. WE could have made a direct deposit to this poor woman's account and she could have had her people take care of the baby. We as a society have failed again. We should have the government look into this situation and see what we could do perhaps with some SPLOST money to prevent this. Obama will fix this and Bush caused this.

RockyMayer
RockyMayer 08/08/08 - 09:14 am

This is a trajic accident. i

This is a trajic accident. i am so sorry it happened.

sunflower61
sunflower61 08/08/08 - 09:17 am

I just looked at my own post

I just looked at my own post and will concede that she may have been crying before the picture was taken. She may not be a crack or meth addict. BUT still, how could she forget a 6 week old infant? Something doesn't add up. There is still NO EXCUSE!

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 09:22 am

Yes I have heard of the words

Yes I have heard of the words "sleep deprivation" teachingthemasses. In fact I have been on very intimate terms with them as to be able to call them old friend...Not one but two of my five children were very ill with the other three having been ill at different times in there lives..No and I do mean no support from family as my family could have been the poster child of "family dysfunction"...This woman had no excuse....She is alive that baby is dead, she managed to get out of the car and walk into the house, the baby didn't have a choice of getting out therefore no excuse...

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 09:34 am

Until parents who kill their

Until parents who kill their children, either intentionally or unintentionally are given harsher sentences for their actions, children will continue to suffer.

Farful
Farful 08/08/08 - 09:37 am

I just don't understand.

I just don't understand. I've never forgotten where my kids are. So sorry.

wandasig97
wandasig97 08/08/08 - 09:38 am

I have a 10 wk old baby and

I have a 10 wk old baby and im not calling her a criminal because it might have been a mistake but for one when my baby in the car i don't drive i sit in the back seat with her not because in scared that i mite forget about her but because anything could happen to her sumthing mite fall on her or she mite pull her blanket over her face will moving her hands around or etc. and im 20 years old so lets not play the age game because there are some responsible young mothers out there and i happen to be one of those not to mention that i'm in the army, engaged to her father,and we are not in the welfare system for all you critics out there. god bless this family!!!!!!

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 09:49 am

wanda, have you thought

wanda, have you thought about continuing your education? It will be a great help to your children in the future.

GABBYBLEU
GABBYBLEU 08/08/08 - 09:49 am

How can this woman cant walk

How can this woman cant walk past a dodge neon and not notice a newborn in the back seat. The 4 year old would even know about the baby. This woman did take the baby to MCG after the fact to cover her tail. No one is to blame for this sheer stupidity except the one who gave birth not the cousin! The child that she took to the doctors had to be sitting next to the baby in the back seat! You dont have to be a dective to figure this one out!
Lock her up before she FORGETS again! Can we put her away and FORGET her as well!
What is going on with people these days?!?!? Leave kids in cars or stab them to death in a bathroom at a convenience store!!

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 08/08/08 - 09:53 am

I would be the first to say I

I would be the first to say I was not a "perfect" Mother but did the best I knew to raise my children with care and love. There is no doubt in my mind that my boys know that because of the enormous amount of love and respect they show me. Some years ago, there was an incident when my youngest was about the same age as the Morris child that let me know one can be distracted to a very great degree which may end up detrimental to a child. I was about to walk out the door with my three year old and Mother while my infant lay sleeping in his crib. Fortunately my Mother spoke up. It pains me to recall. How could I DO that? There were no alcohol or drugs (what were they? I didn't even know about pot), just a complete lapse in memory in the haste to make an appointment.
So, it CAN happen and I say, "there but for the grace of God go I", not to mention thanks to my Mom. For all who have never encountered anything that could have turned tragic, thank your lucky stars, give yourself a nice pat on the back, and have a little compassion.

shamehere
shamehere 08/08/08 - 09:55 am

I am sorry for the family.

I am sorry for the family.

shamehere
shamehere 08/08/08 - 09:58 am

this girl is known to use

this girl is known to use drugs along with all her other family members. She was arguing on the phone with a girl who is sleeping with her husband. If I were wrapped up on a phone call arguing I would forget my surroundings too. No accident people, careless and selfish. Too worried about a man.

melmel
melmel 08/08/08 - 10:05 am

There are sop many mixed

There are sop many mixed emotions in the "comments" regarding this TERRIBLE accident.
This mother thought that her friend got the baby out of the car and vis versus. The friend then went in and took a nap.
After watching this on the news last night and seeing the young mother you could tell her heart was breaking.
saywhat! there was NO NEED for your comment!
This mother is now being charged for the murder of her baby.. Pray for her and her baby!

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 10:07 am

shame. I assume this is true

shame. I assume this is true and that Morris, her husband, and the girlfriend, are all guilty of murder. They should never be allowed to have a child in their care. They are a disgrace to humanity.

jack
jack 08/08/08 - 10:09 am

There is no way a mom

There is no way a mom "forgets" her baby, especially a new one.

bigjimjohnstowns
bigjimjohnstowns 08/08/08 - 10:12 am

Ever see a baby blow bubbles

Ever see a baby blow bubbles out of it's nose and mouth as it dies??????? Haven't ever seen a baby but have seen sick animal infantsd. Cry all you want for the so called mom, no excuse

willis53
willis53 08/08/08 - 10:13 am

Accident or not, a child is

Accident or not, a child is dead. Looks like a case of woman (not girl) got pregnant to deep the guy, guy doesn't want mom or babies, mom realizes mistake (a little too late) and eliminates the mistake then tries to claim diminished mental capacity. No responsible adult forgets about an infant. Don't you ask "is the baby asleep," "is it in the crib," "what did you do with the baby".

shamehere
shamehere 08/08/08 - 10:17 am

you people listen.. There was

you people listen.. There was no arguement with the father. It was the husbands lover who she was arguing with.

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 10:21 am

shame...I thought the

shame...I thought the argument was about the father...If he has a girlfriend, a 4 WEEK old baby alongwith a 4 year old, then he is a disgrace.

jlhs32
jlhs32 08/08/08 - 10:21 am

Most of the posts on this

Most of the posts on this site are an embarassment! She didn't plan to leave the baby in the care while she went shopping. This is a horrible accident. Where is this perfect world in which you live; where accidents never happen?

Rose
Rose 08/08/08 - 10:28 am

What decent mother does not

What decent mother does not know where her 6 week old baby is? I don't feel sorry for her at all.