Baby left in car for an hour dies

A 6-week-old boy died late Thursday night after being left in the back seat of his mother's car for an hour as the heat index soared above 100 degrees.

Lisa Marie Morris, 25, of the 2400 block of Patrick Avenue, Hephzibah, was arrested Thursday and is facing a charge of felony murder, said Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Ken Rogers.

Investigator Thelma Gilchrist said the child, whose name wasn't released, was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital in critical condition Thursday afternoon. Sgt. Rogers said the child died at 10:04 p.m.

Investigator Gilchrist said the baby was left in Ms. Morris' vehicle from about 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. outside Ms. Morris' home. She said the mother apparently forgot the child was inside the car, which had its windows rolled up.

Investigator Gilchrist said police were informed about 2:30 p.m., after Ms. Morris took the infant to MCG.

Ms. Morris told police she had returned home from taking her 4-year-old daughter to the doctor's office and asked her cousin "where's the baby," Investigator Gilchrist said.

After her cousin said she was unaware of the infant's whereabouts, Ms. Morris said she checked the rear seat of her black, 2000 Dodge Neon, Investigator Gilchrist said.

"She told us that the child was unresponsive and was blowing bubbles through his nose and mouth," Investigator Gilchrist said.

The temperature at Augusta's Bush Field Airport at noon Thursday was 95 with a heat index of 104, said Tim Hawks, a National Weather Service meteorologist in West Columbia, S.C. Thursday's high temperature was 101 at 3 p.m., he said.

Police said the child's father and another man were inside the residence, but the father was asleep. Ms. Morris told authorities she and the father had been arguing, which could have caused her to become disoriented.

Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen said an autopsy is scheduled for this morning at the Augusta GBI crime lab.

THE CHRONICLE BROKE THIS STORY ON ITS WEB SITE AT 8:37 P.M. THURSDAY.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/08/08 - 07:05 am
This poor child needs

This poor child needs mandatory parenting classes not punishment. We can't start holding people responsible for their actions. Just think of the back lash if everyone was responsible for each and everything they did. That would be dreadful. It would almost empty the entitlement rolls over night. What would we do with all that money? Parents would have to get up with their school age kids and prepare them breakfast, help with their education, prepare them for life. Oh my...this is not leading anywhere good. Obama will fix this and Bush caused this.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/08 - 07:05 am
Although this is a horrible

Although this is a horrible situation I can see how this could happen. Evidently the mother wasn't so terrible, she just came home from taking her 4 year old to the doctor which demonstrates to me that she loves her children. If she thought the cousin had gotten the baby out of the car and was on a phoone call, then ended up arguing with the baby's father, I can see how maybe things turned bad to worse. Why didn't the cousin go back outside and get the baby out of the car, she had to have known the mother didn't have the child? Unless we were all there to witness the mother's neglect I think this woman is suffering enough with the lost of her child. Irresponsbile, Yes, Criminal, I just don't see it.

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 08/08/08 - 07:07 am
It is easy to talk about how

It is easy to talk about how bad a parent she is, but lets pray that it never happens again to anyone.

dani
dani 08/08/08 - 07:08 am
In...Sounds like Morris put

In...Sounds like Morris put first things first. Can't let that baby take her mind off things that really matter.

gosh
gosh 08/08/08 - 07:13 am
Do any of you know this

Do any of you know this woman? Maybe she was stressed out from the day and night feedings? I have a question why was the father asleep at 11:30am? does he work? Or is my tax money paying for him to lay around? Everyone is putting all the blame on her, she thought her cousin got the baby out... there were 4 people in the house why does it take an hour before anyone ask where the baby is?

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 07:13 am
I will disagree

I will disagree InChristLove..I was a young mother, a mother of 5 children, made mistakes along the way as children do not come with a manual but one mistake I never made was forgetting one in a car,hot, cold or in between...That is not a mistake it is criminal and needs to be treated as such...The baby cannot talk on behalf of itself but the people connected with the justice system can...

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/08 - 07:13 am
Mercyme....The photo of the

Mercyme....The photo of the mom isn't a very good quality picture and maybe, just maybe, her eyes look this way because she's been crying. She did just loose a child.

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/08/08 - 07:13 am
Where is the "baby daddy"

Where is the "baby daddy" fault in all of this? Looking at her picture, I'd guess the kid looked like B Hussain Obama.

they call me pete
they call me pete 08/08/08 - 07:19 am
The mother does not look

The mother does not look 'high' in the picture. She looks like she has been crying. None of us know the whole story, but if she came in asking where the baby was, after taking another child to the doctor, that leads me to believe she didn't know the baby was in the car. We can argue this back and forth all week long, but in the end, it all comes back to whether an act was done with intent to harm. In this instance, I would say no intent was made to harm. It seems like everybody is ready to cast stones in here.

luv2scrapbk
luv2scrapbk 08/08/08 - 07:19 am
This is a very tragic and sad

This is a very tragic and sad situation, but I don't understand how you could forget your child in the back seat of the car. Who let the 4 year old out of her carseat or the back seat? Wouldn't you think to go ahead and put the child carrier on your arm and walked into the house? Being a parent there was several times my mind was on other things or I was on the phone, but never did I forgot my child was in the back seat. Also, if the cousin with in the car with Ms. Morris why isn't that person being charged as well for neglected or murder?

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/08/08 - 07:21 am
Christian134, I can't imagine

Christian134, I can't imagine myself every forgetting one of my children in the car but I can see how this could happen. When you have a sick 4 year old your tending to and relying on family members to help with the children....if she assumed the cousin was getting the baby out of the car, then she has to deal with a man jumping on her case (probably about waking him up) I can see how something like this could happen.

ee8
ee8 08/08/08 - 07:23 am
4 grown irresponsible

4 grown irresponsible so-called adults. 1 innocent baby. They should all pay a price, not just the mom. DA to file pre-meditated murder? Augusta's DA office is a damn joke. Much like the RCBOE, RC Commission, the Coliseum Authority... the list goes on. PTHS I bet you have a gun rack in your 20-year old truck and a confederate flag window to go with that tag on the front. Get a life you racist bas...d!

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 08/08/08 - 07:23 am
It's so easy to kick someone

It's so easy to kick someone when they're down, isn't it? This is what's wrong with the world today. No one has any compassion for people when they screw up.

Dragoness
Dragoness 08/08/08 - 07:23 am
So, if the father was asleep,

So, if the father was asleep, how were they arguing so that the mother become disoriented. Kind of hard to have much of an argument with someone who is unresponsive.

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 07:24 am
Still can't see it happening

Still can't see it happening InChristLove..Went through major strife in my life, poor as poor can be, husband and myself went through major upheavals but I never let my children go hungry or left them in a car, stressed or not...

mommie2
mommie2 08/08/08 - 07:25 am
Get off you political

Get off you political bandwagons here guys! I was a young mother at 23 and never once forgot my child. Especially at 6 weeks! The mother and father both need to be punished whether it was an accident or not. People can kill a person by accident while driving and still have consequences. I have zero sympathy for people like this. She already made excuses for herself! Distraught over an argument?? Whatever.

keraknightwalker
keraknightwalker 08/08/08 - 07:26 am
Why didn't the father ask

Why didn't the father ask where his son is at?..I've been praying for this child all night!..he is back in the arms of his true father!

mommie2
mommie2 08/08/08 - 07:27 am
Christian134..we are in

Christian134..we are in agreement today! First time for everything.

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/08/08 - 07:27 am
ee8 - It's a 1981 model - but

ee8 - It's a 1981 model - but not bad!

1941
1941 08/08/08 - 07:29 am
This is the reason that

This is the reason that abortion should be made avalible to some women, kill them now or kill them later what is the diffrence?

ee8
ee8 08/08/08 - 07:30 am
oops.... PTHS. Just in case.

oops.... PTHS. Just in case. You probably are illiterate so here's the rest, TAR

christian134
christian134 08/08/08 - 07:30 am
tjohns22...:-)

tjohns22...:-)

mommie2
mommie2 08/08/08 - 07:33 am
I simply have no tolerance

I simply have no tolerance for people who mistreat children or have "accidents" like this woman. Don't open your legs if you are not prepared to put another life before your own.

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/08/08 - 07:35 am
tjohns - BRAVO!!!! You rock,

tjohns - BRAVO!!!! You rock, girl.

ee8
ee8 08/08/08 - 07:35 am
True that TJ22

True that TJ22

PTHS2
PTHS2 08/08/08 - 07:36 am
ee8 - Come over to R&R to

ee8 - Come over to R&R to play with me - this story is too sad to mess up with more petty comments.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 08/08/08 - 07:37 am
Can you say sterilization ? I

Can you say sterilization ? I wonder if she was on welfare too?

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 08/08/08 - 07:41 am
I hope that they test both

I hope that they test both parents for dope. Can you say "white trash" ?

LaTwon
LaTwon 08/08/08 - 07:42 am
she didnt take a knife and

she didnt take a knife and chopup the baby. she didnt drown it
in the tub. she didnt shake the baby to death. she didnt have a doctor suck its brains out. she didnt set it on fire. she didnt pop a cap in it............. but for the grace of god........

mommie2