Religion -- who needs it, anyway?

A majority of the American people will only vote for politicians who believe or profess to believe in the irrational supernatural. Polls show that most Americans won't vote for a rational person who refuses to believe in talking snakes, burning bushes that also can speak, and virgins capable of giving birth to God posing as a rabbi. I think this prejudice against rational people explains why this country has so many problems.

L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer, invented the Church of Scientology. Obviously, he didn't believe in his own fiction, but I think his invention proves a point. Anybody with influence can make up a nutty philosophy and attract throngs of foolish followers. Christians, Muslims and Jews claim they spread morality and ethics, but history teaches the opposite is the truth -- they forced their foolish beliefs upon others at the point of a sword.

American conservatives are most closely tied to religion in this country, and they're the people with the most twisted values, proving their religion has nothing to do with morality and has more in common with the attributes of selfishness and sadism. They resent government programs that help poor people, but support wars of aggression against Third World citizens. Religious conservative opposition to universal health care demonstrates a callousness I find hard to understand.

All religions are an insult to mankind's intelligence, and American society and all of humanity would be better off without them.

Mark Gelbart, Augusta

rbk
rbk 08/06/08 - 06:04 am
The vast majority of the

The vast majority of the founders and writers of the constitution of this country the majority of the population embraced the Christian faith and framed the laws of this country on the values found in the bible. I am convinced that the reason this nation enjoyed so many years of prosperity and became great is because the majority of the population embraced those values. Now, however, because so many people like the writer above have discarded those values, I fear that our nation is fast losing that divine protection and is going down.

christian134
christian134 08/06/08 - 06:09 am
Well stated rbk....

Well stated rbk....

GASUNSHINE08
GASUNSHINE08 08/06/08 - 06:18 am
I agree rbk. They took

I agree rbk. They took prayer out of our schools. They legalized abortion. They have formed the political correctness bandwagon. Since the 50's and 60's the morality of our country has spiraled down out of control. And it's only going to get worse. And for the writer of the editorial, you will be in for a huge shock when you stand before God after you die.

Really Bugged
Really Bugged 08/06/08 - 06:27 am
How do you know?

How do you know?

deeo1055@yahoo.com
deeo1055@yahoo.com 08/06/08 - 06:45 am
On religion, you are

On religion, you are right...but Christianity is a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP with Jesus Christ, closer even that to ones parent, spouse, sibling, child, acquanitance, or friends....
Rational= take a precept, no matter how extreme, and work it to that precepts logical conclsusion. EXAMPLE: Hitler=no relationship with Jesus Christ [God, born of the Jews in human flesh, by the way]=Jews are the problem, lets exterimante at least 6 million, use them for lab guinea pigs, keep their flesh for lamp shades----NO THERE IS YOUR INSANE RESULT OF WHAT HITLER [and Satan] thought was RATIONAL.

NOPE=dont need religion, dont need much of mankind's "rationalism", I DO NEED that personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Hope you wake up bro.

shivas
shivas 08/06/08 - 07:09 am
The right-wing needs religion

The right-wing needs religion to support their politics. This is why religion has been minimized to many Americans. Also, the values of our Founding Fathers was the tolerance of all religions. Finally, no one has taken prayer out of school. Anyone can pray anytime they like. Religion is just no longer sponsered by the Bd. of Education, as they once sponsered racism and segregation.

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:11 am
Deeo...you compare rational

Deeo...you compare rational thought to the thought process of syphillitic, paranoid, psychopathic, megalomaniac amphetamine addict? Wow. Hitler was a self proclaimed Christian, btw. FFS people, you are the ones that are causing all of this strife. If we didn't have to cater to the money-grubbing, child molesting, methamphetamine, false prophet for profit preachers, this could be a really nice country to live in.

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:16 am
Btw Christians, Most of us

Btw Christians, Most of us could care less who's imaginary friend is better.

christian134
christian134 08/06/08 - 07:16 am
ReallyBugged you ask "How do

ReallyBugged you ask "How do you know"? My answer is I know because the Bible teaches it...One must have faith and accept Christ or one doesn't.. Where God and Jesus Christ and the Bible are concerned there is no debate, there will be no debate...It is a done deal..You either accept or you don't..It is quite simply your choice..As far as myself and my home are concerned we believe as I hope you will before it is too late..

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 08/06/08 - 07:26 am
Freedom of religion NOT

Freedom of religion NOT freedom from religion. Also I love the words of great philospher....Religion is the opiate of the mases.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/06/08 - 07:26 am
Religion is a very personal

Religion is a very personal thing to me, I am a believer but I don't try to push my religion on others. Religion gives people something to believe in, something to fear, and something to look forward to at the end of our lives. No one really knows if there is a God or life after death, we know what the bible tells us and we either believe or we don't. If you don't believe that is fine.......but you are no more right in your beliefs than the believers......I will say that if more people whether they believe or not would adopt some of the moral values in the teachings of the bible then we would have less crime, less STD's, more people helping others. Back when people took their children to church and taught them family values we had a lot less crime, more respectful young people, neighbors helping neighbors so to me the fact that this country is getting away from christian values is a big mistake.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 08/06/08 - 07:29 am
Yeah but there are a lot of

Yeah but there are a lot of christians who have on a form of godliness but deny the power thereof.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/06/08 - 07:30 am
Faiths are not irrational

Faiths are not irrational according to psychiatrist. If faiths are irrational, then 98% of the planet is irrational, but it would classify the other 2% as delusional. Those arguments are fallacious. People are the problem not the religions they may hold. Just like criminal activity by atheist is not because they are atheist, or atheist are incapable of moral character. Come on now!-see the absurdity of such logic. Christianity or Islam in themselves are not the problem but the minority of fundamentalist in each group are a group of people who are a problem. Both deny the very faith they are supposed to uphold and are agenda driven. The problem with christianity hasn't been taking prayer out or school or any such nonsense but christians taking the christianity out of christianity. People can rationalize all sorts of nonsense, but faiths are an obvious biological phenomenon as one could argue about homosexuality. Faiths have molded the history, art, science, medicine, culture, and society of every continent on the planet. Rational refers to reason, and folks can reason about anything.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 07:31 am
I think Republicants 7:11`

I think Republicants 7:11` post pretty much epitomizes the thinking and deductive process of the left. Is this the attitude you want running your country? Both he and Mark Gelbert are so busy worshiping at the alter of liberalism, they are unable to see the forest ...

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:32 am
I like that biz.

I like that biz.

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:34 am
I said nothing that is

I said nothing that is without basis in fact PT. I don't share your rose colored, Norman Rockwell view of an America that never existed.

doubt_it
doubt_it 08/06/08 - 07:34 am
The writer couldn't be more

The writer couldn't be more correct. To any rational observer of extended human history, it should be obvious that man created religion to address his ignorance of the world and to control the populous. What I don't agree with is the idea that because you don't want government to take property from people to give to others, you're immoral. Those worthy programs for the poor are better provided by nonprofits. Government will screw them up.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 08/06/08 - 07:34 am
The Author has definitely

The Author has definitely flipped his lid! He is confused of what Christians are and what Non Christians are. This guy can't tell the difference between a no good politician and those who truly know about morals. Where did he get the idea from I wonder? He twisted the truth a LOT like a politician, and then goes and blames the Christians for it? Get real! If Christians resent government programs to help the poor, why is the government in need of churches to give out food from the food pantries? The meals on wheels programs is also tied to the church, so are many other programs. Social Security came from the Church first before the government decided to get involved cause it seemed like the right thing until they found a way to cyphon money from the taxpayer wallets and put it in a pot. Now, government officials (NOT Christians) borrowed against the very thing they started. So don't confuse a Christian with a government issue, you really DON"T know what you are talking about! BTW, I too, serve God. I make no apologies for whom I serve with all my heart, soul and mind.

Dan White 08/06/08 - 07:43 am
Mark, I am shocked with your

Mark, I am shocked with your diatribe against Christianity and the Bible. Your dear mom taught little children faithfully at First Baptist, North Augusta, and her love for them in Christ influences them as adults to this day. Why the anger and outrage? Where and why did you turn off the straight and narrow road? Hopefully, your mom's gentle spirit and love of Christ and His church will one day once again be found in the deep recesses of your troubled soul. God bless you, Mark. Many are praying for you.

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:44 am
Maybe he opened his eyes?

Maybe he opened his eyes?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 07:45 am
or maybe he's been convinced

or maybe he's been convinced to keep them closed.

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 08/06/08 - 07:48 am
Wow! Someone licked all the

Wow! Someone licked all the candy off this guys lollipop. Let's all take his approach. OK Everyone do what they want when they want and how they want. Don't like your neighbor? Kill him. Its OK because we wouldn't want to restrict you or impose morals on you. Like your neighbors car? Take it its yours. Drugs? do them all you want and don't worry who might get hurt. Don't want to work? You don't have to cause Mark is going to pay your way because he thinks you should get paid for not working. Mark will build you house as soon as he is done suporting everyone else and stopping all the wars. Pull your head out of the whole you stuck it in.

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:49 am
Isn't that what Church

Isn't that what Church encourages? Don't think, just have faith? I promise it's going to happen? LoL. They don't call the congregations "His Flock" for nothing. Wake up, sheeple.... baaah! LoL.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 07:49 am
Deity worship carries

Deity worship carries responsibility with it. Proscribed parameters. For the rest of the people, everything "just kind of happens". Of course, if the "just happens" people encountered the anarchy they claim to aspire to, they'd cry out to God for some kind of order.

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:53 am
It all just kind of happens

It all just kind of happens PT. Life is a random series of events that event the most faithful have no control of. It is arrogant to believe that an all powerful cosmic deity exists and has cast it's gaze upon this little rock that happened to spawn life with any kind of favor.

Republicant
Republicant 08/06/08 - 07:55 am
2 tired, what are you talking

2 tired, what are you talking about. You make it sound as though without Christianity there would be no morality. Where do you get your information from, man? As far as charity goes, remember from your precious bible, " That which you do for the least of my people, you do unto me?"

crackertroy
crackertroy 08/06/08 - 07:58 am
Mark, I challenge you to take

Mark, I challenge you to take away the churches across America and see what happens to this country. You'd start praying for sure then! This letter is ignorance. Mark's been reading too much Dawkins, Harris, Russell, Nitsche, Twain, Sarte, etc. etc.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/06/08 - 07:58 am
I agree jackfruitpaper833. I

I agree jackfruitpaper833. I know alot of people who go to church but don't live by the word. But whether you believe in God or not, if we all lived less selfish lives, taught our children moral values, helped each other more, know that there is concequences to bad behavior, which is part of what the bible teaches, this world would be a better place to live.

christian134
christian134 08/06/08 - 08:00 am
Not arrogance Republicant

Not arrogance Republicant just profoundly filled with a sense of awe and wonder that an all powerful and loving God could have created all everything around and beyond us and He still had and is still taking the time to take care of me...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 08:00 am
Republicant, what you don't

Republicant, what you don't know can't hurt you? What you can't conceive can't be? If your religion gives you comfort then it's doing its job. I think it does explain your anger though.