Drill ahead on energy debate

Barack Obama, the candidate of change, has changed positions again. Now he's willing to consider offshore drilling.

An interesting, even welcome flip-flop.

It may come too late to get his candidacy and the Democratic Party back on the same side as most voters -- three-quarters of whom support offshore drilling. And that tardiness may have something to do with Gallup Poll results that now show the race between Obama and John McCain a dead heat, after Obama led briefly by 9 points.

His reversal also came too late for Congress to act before its August adjournment last Friday.

But that didn't stop several dozen Republican House members from holding a Boston Tea Party-style speech-fest in the dimmed and TV-less House chambers Friday afternoon. A number also returned early this week for continued protest over the Democratic leadership's failure to show any. Speaker Nancy Pelosi, not as open-minded (or perhaps politically astute) as Obama, is holding firm against any drilling, even if states agree to it (as should be required).

Critics of drilling exaggerate its lack of impact. No, no one expects black gold to be oozing right away. It will take years. But it remains that accessing America's own energy must be part and parcel of the country's energy strategy into the future.

And it's just possible that mere talk of drilling has helped hold the line on gasoline prices.

Let's hope Obama's changed talk helps Democrats see the light, too. As The Wall Street Journal said Monday: "If he's serious, he'll start to publicly lobby Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill to allow a vote on drilling when they return from their August recess."

Don't hold your breath.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 08/06/08 - 03:08 am
Still you tell half the

Still you tell half the truth, ACES...the man said, "...if it takes this to get a bipartisan, comprehensive plan, then I'll do it." Not ideological, not tied to a particular constituency, not beholden to a party line...a willingness to compromise even when he is in the majority in both houses and eventually in the presidency. That's leadership folks...something we have not seen in the last 7 years in the Oval Office. Damned if you do or if you don't. If you take an enhanced position, you're a flip-flopper. If you don't change no matter what, you're an ideologue. Geez...he's saying..."hey repugs, even though we'll have all the power, I won't run roughshod over you'll like you did us when you had all the power. I'll take your positions into account, and weigh it against what is best for ALL Americans. Again, that is principled, rational leadership.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/06/08 - 03:47 am
Half truths? Drgunby accused

Half truths? Drgunby accused me of "anti muslim" comments....which was a "whole lie."

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 05:42 am
You sure are easily tricked

You sure are easily tricked Dr.. Obama will appreciate your vote. Then you'll be tricked on a regular basis. Of course, Obama is making it easy to see who and what he is and there's still a 50/50 chance he'll remain in his present position while the "lesser of two evils" takes the presidency. We'll all have to wait and see how this plays out.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 08/06/08 - 06:00 am
Obama is proving to be two

Obama is proving to be two faced isn't he?

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/06/08 - 06:30 am
So a person cannot change

So a person cannot change their mind?

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 08/06/08 - 06:34 am
What about the way he is

What about the way he is trying to make McCain the oil man by saying he has voted to support big oil when Osama voted for a bill that would give big oil billions in subsidies. He fails to mention that in his adds. I guess its the old addage that when you point a finger at someone else there are three more pointing back at you. Half truths? How about no truths?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 06:35 am
There's a difference between

There's a difference between changing their mind and saying they are changing their mind.

eric stoner
eric stoner 08/06/08 - 07:35 am
$4/gallon gas changed a lot

$4/gallon gas changed a lot of minds about some things! Most people seem to be in favor of more drilling as long as it's in sombeody else's back yard. I support nuclear power, which Obama does not. But, he's still by far the best choice to lead us out of Bush's quagmire.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/06/08 - 07:36 am
I don't get it. hat is it

I don't get it. hat is it that people see in this Obama character? I guess he's younger, some may find him cute, he has a sense of humor, I see that. Is it his lack of experience, his documented socialist ties, his eagerness the redistribute the wealth of both private companies and citizens? The guys is a great orator when the speech is written for him but he stammers and stutters like an idiot when he has to field spontaneous questions. I don't see anything more here than an empty suit who has leftist, socialist leaning that will be detrimental to our freedoms and our money. I'll listen while his supporters explain....

giveitsomethought
giveitsomethought 08/06/08 - 08:31 am
I wonder what would be

I wonder what would be written if an unbiased person used all of the information above and compared them to the truth

sjgraci
sjgraci 08/06/08 - 09:18 am
The Chronicle does not know

The Chronicle does not know how to read poll results or they are liars. This is a continuing trend with them. After McSame's dishonest and dishonorable smear ads last week against Obama, the Gallup poll did show the race tied. Rasmussen even showed the "wrinkly old white hair dude" ahead. Once the public had a chance to digest the facts and see the ads for the lies they were, the polls have swung back to where they have been through much of the Summer. Gallup: Obama 48%, McSame 43%.

sjgraci
sjgraci 08/06/08 - 09:22 am
McSame gets pwned by Paris

McSame gets pwned by Paris Hilton who has a more comprehensive energy plan than he does: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/64ad536a6d

jack
jack 08/06/08 - 10:41 am
Gummy, speaking of "damned if

Gummy, speaking of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" in regards to Osama's pancake house routine when it has been that way for GW Bush ever since 2000, who hasn't changed a damn thing he has taken a stand on.

jack
jack 08/06/08 - 10:43 am
FFH, you can change your mind

FFH, you can change your mind ONLY if you are a DIMocRAT, otherwise, you are flip-flopping.

jack
jack 08/06/08 - 10:49 am
Sigraci, what lies or lie was

Sigraci, what lies or lie was in the McCain ads? I didn't see any as they were dead on target. If P{arish has an energy pla at all, it is more than Osama has offered (and stuck to). I didn't hear her say to keep your tires inflated to beath the oil/gas prices. Reminded me of Jimmy the peanut Carter's plan to wear a sweater and keep the thermostat on "uncomfortable" as an energy policy while I waited in line hoping to get a few gallons of gas before it ran out. BTW, 47% to 43% ain't xactly running away with the electorate. Seems John sKerry had a much bigger lead before he got his clock cleaned.

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/06/08 - 12:47 pm
Watching the comments in here

Watching the comments in here almost makes me want to flip-flop and vote for Juan McCain. Because, if Obama gets elected, I'll just sigh and go back to work, just as I've done when Bush decides to try AGAIN to make liberals like him, by pushing some liberal policy or other... I mean, Obama will be president, and I'll wish him well and hope that all of his policies have the effects that he publicly hopes that they will have. And then, when they lead us into Carter, The Sequel, I'll sigh some more, go back to work, and try to earn a little extra to pay the high taxes and high inflation... But...BUT...BUT!!! If MCCAIN gets elected, though THAT would be sad, I can come back to these fora and have one HELL of a good time laughing at all the liberals, wetting themselves with indignation. Oh, my, how the conspiracy theories will fly, justus will say that this proves how racist the US is, DrGunby will claim voter intimidation, shivas will crawl out from under his tinfoil hat long enough to mutter something about Diebold... I mean, it's almost worth taking an "enhanced position" (nice weasel words, Dr G!) on this issue, and voting for Juan after all...

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 08/06/08 - 01:05 pm
WoW...all that anger on my

WoW...all that anger on my little old comment...please answer my charge as johnsmith almost did in what he called nice weasel words as in "enhanced position". Barack sees the reality. There will not be veto proof margins, so since we have a system that requires super majorities to get things passed, if it takes some drilling to get a compromise then let's do it. You jokers complain about gridlock and when someone comes along and gives you a bipartisan effort, you poo-poo that too. I undertand. If my party was in disarray and about to have a Moses experience I'd just call names also. So repugs, you don't see compromise as leadership?

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/06/08 - 01:16 pm
DrG, any but the most

DrG, any but the most hardened ideologue is willing to celebrate when his opponent learns some facts and moves away from a wrong position. I, for one, celebrate Saint Obama's willingness to consider drilling in His sacred continental shelf, just as I was happy to see the Archangel Juan agree to "build the g-d fence if that's what they want!" The problem is, call us cynical, but some of us...um..."experienced" voters who have witnessed a campaign or two, cannot rid ourselves of the nagging little suspicion that these jokers are lying their asses off to get elected. So, no, if Juan gets elected, I won't be holding my breath to see him build a fence or defend the First Amendment. And if Obama takes the prize, I won't get out my diary and wait, pen poised over paper, for the day when he makes a comment on ANY issue of economics, supply/demand, trade or employment, that does not come directly out of the progressive playbook of the 1940's - 1960's. I keep exhorting folks to read Hayek before they vote for Obama, but I think his is just not a name that enjoys much recognition. Sad...

LaTwon
LaTwon 08/06/08 - 01:56 pm
The Poor Are Clamoring to Get

The Poor Are Clamoring to Get In, the Rich Are Pushing to Get Out

The fact that Americans are fleeing this country is hardly news to Sovereign Society members and readers.

For the decade since our founding, we at The Sovereign Society have noted sadly that each year hundreds of thousands of U.S. citizens and resident aliens have been leaving America to make a new home in other nations.

Admittedly, that number pales against the millions clamoring to get into the U.S., legally and otherwise.

But there's a huge difference in the economic status of these two fluid groups.

Those seeking admission (or just illegally crossing our borders) are by and large, poverty stricken persons. These immigrants are desperately trying to better their lot with a new life in the American Promised Land. They'll settle for low paying jobs, welfare, free education for their kids, and U.S. taxpayer subsidized housing and health care.

The Americans who are leaving are the wealthy and the talented - those who have had enough, thank you.

More Citizens Are Leaving Than Ever Before...and They're Young

In the August 5th issue of U.S. News and World Report an extensive article notes that many younger people are leaving the United States. These young emigrants are taking their young families and seeking their fortune or an easier life in foreign lands.

If this data collected from 2005 and 2007 is correct, it's possible that three million U.S. citizens are going abroad to live each year. Assuming that number is accurate, that's a huge increase over recent years.

And according to the study, the largest number of relocating persons is not retirees, but rather they are young adults ranging from 25 to 34 years old. That's particularly interesting considering this age range pays for Social Security and other benefits for older generations.

John Wennersten, author of Leaving America: The New Expatriate Generation (Praeger Pub. 2008), sees this exodus of Americans as "a long-term trend."

Wennersten writes that while Americans who go abroad are typical pioneers in some ways looking for a new "Go West," they also are part of a larger development, "a global economic shift that is fostering real economic growth in neglected areas of the world, like Latin America, Eastern Europe, and Southeast Asia."

U.S. citizens are certainly not the sole beneficiaries of this shift. However, they are active players in foreign countries where former state-run industries are being privatized. This is creating new trade markets and opportunities

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 08/06/08 - 03:06 pm
JS, that is funny...good

JS, that is funny...good post...now "can't we all just get along ?"...and no, I don't trust a politician any further than I can throw them. Let's see what the do. There will be an incredible onus on the Dems to make things happen. We might just get a veto proof margin the Senate and enough a push to make it work in the House. The rubber is about to hit the road. I'm on the ground working for Obama and the polls really are not picking up the groundswell of young, cell only and new voters. This is not where you heard it first, but this is where I'll say I told you so in Nov. Barack wins easily (56/38/6 with 320 EC's)

gagirl40
gagirl40 08/06/08 - 03:44 pm
Oh this is Rich! McCain

Oh this is Rich! McCain flip-flops on off-shore drilling, torture, abortion, Bush tax cuts, the religious right, the recession, the environment, gay marriage, the confederate flag, campaign-finance reform and ethanol just to name a few and those were good decisions because it shows he is flexible and changes his mind when it is warranted. Obama concedes that off-shore drilling may be inevitable to pass a comprehensive energy bill and he is a flip-flopper. Hilarious! Again the hypocrisy on the right and at the AC is astounding

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 08/06/08 - 04:36 pm
Dang Gagirl, I had forgot all

Dang Gagirl, I had forgot all those "enhanced positions"...LOL...splinters and trees.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/06/08 - 05:23 pm
Funny how "Dr" Gunby won't

Funny how "Dr" Gunby won't answer up for the one little lie he told.

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 08/06/08 - 06:52 pm
What lie did I tell...oh,

What lie did I tell...oh, trust Bush on the war...he'll do the right thing...that one?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/06/08 - 07:04 pm
Both politicians running for

Both politicians running for president change their position "in principle" on every subject, depending on who they're speaking to. The truth is, there's not a lot of difference between the candidates. On energy, they'll both go with the money. The only difference is Obama has strong Marxist leanings (past action and voting record) and McCain has strong fence straddling leanings, but prefers constitutionalist judges on the supreme court. This one point is enough of a difference for me to make a choice.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/06/08 - 07:17 pm
You accused me of making

You accused me of making anti-muslim remarks. A bald faced lie.

gagirl40
gagirl40 08/06/08 - 07:33 pm
I do think it's telling that

I do think it's telling that McCain, the "Maverick" who has been hailed for breaking with his party on many issues in the past, has reversed himself on position after position to secure his party's nomination. Seems he'll do anything to win.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/06/08 - 07:37 pm
And Obama won't?

And Obama won't?

gagirl40
gagirl40 08/06/08 - 07:46 pm
Obama revised his position on

Obama revised his position on off shore drilling, as McCain did, by adding that it will probably be inevitable to pass a comprehensive bipartisan energy bill, as I said before. What other issue has he changed his position on? McCain has changed his position on many, many MAJOR issues. Issues that truly define who you really are. Obama has not done that one single time.

steve-o
steve-o 08/06/08 - 07:52 pm
Gas is coming down. This

Gas is coming down. This doesn't look too good for all of the citizens of Obamastan!

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.