Writer sounds like another leftist pundit

So Mike Kashani will not be voting in this year's election ("Why I won't cast a vote for president this year," Aug. 3). How sad. No - how good!

This "guest columnist" reflects the dismal state of higher education in our country. Surely, some instructor in his college's communications department has casually mentioned that journalists should cite facts when making accusations if they want their opinions to be taken seriously.

Typically, this writer fits the template of propagandists passing as media pundits . The odds are great that Kashani gets his misinformation from the far-left blogs, which also engage in surreal fantasies. He mentions voter fraud in Ohio and Florida - no facts. He claims evisceration of the Fourth Amendment - no facts. On impeachment - again, no facts!

He bemoans the idea of voting for the lesser of two evils. So do I, but I would rather be a citizen here with

that distasteful option than live in a country with no choice at all. He claims to believe in our democratic republic and its ideals, but he does not accept the concept that a majority of citizens select the leadership, good or bad, and then we live with it! Those who don't like it are free to leave, hopefully observing that this country has no walls to keep people here. He fails to understand that third-party movements, particularly after a strong showing, do effect change in subsequent administrations.

Perhaps he could use his education to procure a job as "guest columnist" for a state-run publication in a country without the "lesser of two evils" option. I suggest North Korea, Iran, Venezuela or any one of several African dictatorships.

Paul Hopkins, Aiken, S.C.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/05/08 - 05:52 am
Mr Hopkins, please, cut Mr

Mr Hopkins, please, cut Mr Kashani some slack. The young head full of mush doesn't start to congeal until about 25 years of age and then only after being exposed to some life experience. For now, he's just parroting the liberal propaganda he's been spoon fed while in school. Once he's been startled by reality a time or two, he'll start to think.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/05/08 - 07:23 am
That is correct Patricia. He

That is correct Patricia. He probably also believes Clinton was never impeached from watching MTV. The majority of college professors are liberal (a fact) so they are being indoctrinated into beliefs. It is a lot like brain washing.

yak11
yak11 08/05/08 - 07:56 am
Oh to be 25 again and know

Oh to be 25 again and know EVERYTHING (LOL)

factchecker
factchecker 08/05/08 - 07:59 am
That's exactly why I never

That's exactly why I never got great grades in college. The liberal educators do not want to hear conservative ideas and values. If you don't think like they do you risk losing your HOPE scholorship or grant. So my suggestion is that even if you are a conservative jump on the liberal party bandwagon while in CLASS. Maybe that is what Mr. Kashani did so he could get a good grade.

pofwe
pofwe 08/05/08 - 08:14 am
Kashani, a name like that

Kashani, a name like that gives me xenophobia!

Ga Values
Ga Values 08/05/08 - 09:16 am
I made bad grades in college

I made bad grades in college because I drank, chased women & didn't go to class except for test. Simple facts are voting for either of the 2 main party's looser is stupid,, It's Bob " NONE OF THE ABOVE" Barr time.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/05/08 - 09:47 am
Well GaValues I drank, abused

Well GaValues I drank, abused alcohol and other substances, and sometimes didn't go to class and still made stellar grades. I often took test blitzed outta my mind. My friends hated me for this unique gift, but I know there were just jealous. I think if I hadn't killed off so many brain cells I would be an anti-social brainiac freak. Now I'm normal. LOL!!!!!

whitesouthafricean
whitesouthafricean 08/05/08 - 09:47 am
The problem Patricia, he CAN

The problem Patricia, he CAN vote now!!!!! values, a vote for barr is a vote for obama, remember that!

LaTwon
LaTwon 08/05/08 - 09:51 am
technically there is a wall

technically there is a wall to keep u in the u.s. if you leave now
you have to pay death taxes on all of your world wide holdings
and you still have to file an income tax return and it is a felony not to. you must pay taxes on foreign income. essentially you are a slave to the feds............ you can expatriate but they still want over half of your world wide holdings. they have even gone as far as bribing swiss bank officials to illegally obtain records.

jack
jack 08/05/08 - 11:57 am
LaTwon, who or what says you

LaTwon, who or what says you have to declare and pay taxes on all your property if you leave the US? If you are leaving the US to live elsewhere in the world, you need not file tax returns with the US, but the country in which you live. Get your facts straight. You're usually prety much on target but not ths time.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/05/08 - 12:04 pm
I am 24 and I know a lot more

gagirl40
gagirl40 08/05/08 - 12:30 pm
Mr. Hopkins, you state,

Mr. Hopkins, you state, "Typically, this writer fits the template of propagandists passing as media pundits." You mean in the same mold as the "journalists" on FoxNews?

mcdaddy
mcdaddy 08/05/08 - 12:30 pm
Mr Hopkins stated that "He

Mr Hopkins stated that "He claims to believe in our democratic republic and its ideals, but he does not accept the concept that a majority of citizens select the leadership, good or bad, and then we live with it!" This may be true in any other country, but not here in the good old US when voting for the President. The "Electoral College" determines the President. A candicate can have the majority of the popular vote, but not have enough electoral votes and lose. This is ridiculous. All other elections in the US are based on the majority of citizens determine the winner. I have voted every election, but no more. I have determined that the President is nothing more than a "Figure Head" who has no real power. Sure he can veto, but then congress can overide his veto, so where is the power. 90% of the politicians today could not care less about you execpt at election time. They are in politics for power and financial gain along with the rape of the American taxpayer. Nuff said.

griesella
griesella 08/05/08 - 01:19 pm
Ga Values..I hope you heard

Ga Values..I hope you heard the GA Dem's talking about turning GA blue in Nov since polls show that Barr will get 10% of the cons vote. NTW..New polling show 94% of blacks will vote for Obama. Only 1% will vote for McCain. Sounds a little biased to me.

gagirl40
gagirl40 08/05/08 - 01:28 pm
McDaddy...you said, "I have

McDaddy...you said, "I have determined that the President is nothing more than a "Figure Head" who has no real power. Sure he can veto, but then congress can overide his veto, so where is the power." Well except for the current president who has had more signing statements and executive orders than all other presidents combined! He and his VP Oil Man Cheney have given themselves far more power than our forefathers intended, basically ignoring the power of congress.

LaTwon
LaTwon 08/05/08 - 02:45 pm
u need to google that fact

u need to google that fact jack.............. i have researched it. it was part of the minimum wage bill that passed in the spring. i will get u a link............

LaTwon
LaTwon 08/05/08 - 02:49 pm
part one: Paying Taxes to

part one: Paying Taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
As a U.S. citizen (expatriate) or resident alien, your worldwide income generally is subject to U.S. income tax regardless of where you are living. Also, you are subject to the same income tax return filing requirements that apply to U.S. citizens or residents living in the United States though your filing dates may be extended.

In order to help you understand better your rights and responsibilities pertaining to US taxation, two experts have kindly submitted articles (below) to assist you.

Don Houseman specializes in expatriate taxation and lives in the USA. David Housman is a longtime resident of Costa Rica and has helped many US citizens here solve their tax problems.

While we are happy to provide this information for you, we are attorneys nor CPA's and we urge you to contact a professional for your personal needs. You may also want to take a look at IRS Publication 54, "Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad" (.PDF) This requires you have Adobe Reader, a free download at the link below. Also, check out Don's Tax Tips

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/05/08 - 05:03 pm
"I am 24 and I know a lot

"I am 24 and I know a lot more than any of you who support the Bush/McCain dictatorships." What an arrogant and stupid statement to make. Explain how either man is a dictator, or you may further expose your ignorance. The President may be the first Elected dictator who is bound by Congress and the Judiciary. What a moron you must be. You have already exposed yourself as someone who wants to cut off the troops and let them die, willistontownsc, then proclaimed that the war is illegal (with no evidence to support the claim) and that it is murder for oil. Where's all this oil?

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 08/05/08 - 05:31 pm
Go SisterX...Willingston also

Go SisterX...Willingston also supported Marrion Williams...Enough said...

mcdaddy
mcdaddy 08/05/08 - 07:08 pm
gagirl, My last sentence

gagirl,

My last sentence states just what you said....They are in politics for power and financial gain along with the rape of the American taxpayer.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/05/08 - 11:36 pm
Willngston has demonstrated

Willngston has demonstrated his naivety numerous times. "I am 24 and I know a lot more than any of you who support the Bush/McCain dictatorships." That statement is just plain ignorant-no matter who he supports. He needs an education and something to ease the egomania.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/06/08 - 02:13 pm
Where is all this oil? In

Where is all this oil? In Exxon-Mobil's coffers. Now who's the ignorant one?

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/06/08 - 02:19 pm
Also, SisterAbdullah, read

Also, SisterAbdullah, read what gagirl40 said. And you will find out why I call them dictators.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/06/08 - 06:10 pm
My God, what a moron!

My God, what a moron!

truthwarrior
truthwarrior 08/07/08 - 04:23 am
I am the author of the piece

I am the author of the piece that you are assaulting and I'd like to point out a few things. First of all I don't get my info from far left blogs. I am anti-abortion, pro second amendment, pro border security and anti NAFT. I'm simply asking people to see through the false left/ right system. 80% of the people in this country are against open borders, 80% of the people in this country are against the Iraq War, 80% of the people in this country are against NAFTA why have democrats and republicans given us open borders, the Iraq War and NAFTA. If you want to know who controls this country don't look to the right, don't look to the left, look up. Unless we wake up to the false left/right system we will be forever neutralized. The democrats are'nt your friends, and neither are the republicans. Both have been bought and paid for from special interest groups ranging from the Israeli lobby to the global warming alarmists. This is not a left/right issue this is an issue of liberty. I didn't get my values from my professors Mr. Hopkins. And frankly I can't agree with you more that universities are filled with liberal professors pushing world government.

truthwarrior
truthwarrior 08/07/08 - 04:30 am
The more I read "Mr. Hopkins"

The more I read "Mr. Hopkins" well written attack the less I believe he is an actual Chronicle reader from Aiken, and the more I feel he is a writer paid to keep the status quo in line. He calls me a left wing propagandist operating under some liberal ASU professor's orders. Why? Because I lost faith in our country. Maybe you should go work for one of the axis of evil countries you mentioned Mr. Hopkins. Because you are the text book Edward Bernay's propagandist sir. You falsely accuse me of being an left-wing propagandist and offer the choice of freedom or tyranny.

truthwarrior
truthwarrior 08/07/08 - 04:57 am
I will gladly debate you in a

I will gladly debate you in a public forum. That is, if you have the guts Mr. Hopkins.

truthwarrior
truthwarrior 08/07/08 - 05:07 am
Your go back to your homeland

Your go back to your homeland and write for Pravda rhetoric hasn't changed since your last letter Hopkins. Perhaps you should reevaluate your homeland Hopkins. And take a hard look at the ideals it was founded on.

Check out Hopkin's last letter at this link

IngSoc
IngSoc 08/07/08 - 01:31 pm
Mr. Hopkins, Just between the

Mr. Hopkins,

Just between the two of us, I especially enjoyed the part in your response where you derided Mr. Kashani for his inability to present "facts." Public derisions of this sort are very effective at keeping the Proles in line, because you are asking the impossible of Mr. Kashani -- not impossible because the facts are not out there, but impossible because he would never be given the carte blanche authority to publish all of them together in one newspaper column -- for it would take too many pages. He may as well write a book. But then again, how many of the Proles would even bother to read the book? The river of facts that would flow from such a book would be too much for most Proles to handle. Most would decide that "ignorance is bliss," and they would simply return to their regularly scheduled lives. Even the ones that came to accept the facts as truth would not dare tell others about it for fear of being labeled unpatriotic or a conspiracy theorist. They would fear other Proles talking about them and making fun of them behind their backs.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.