CO2 reduction would be huge task

Before you publish another guest columnist's plea for major and costly government-mandated programs to reduce CO2 input into our atmosphere ("CO2 emissions must drop," July 27), please do two things:

First, require that the author agree to the following facts:

- Any realistic program must be implemented worldwide.

- Most of the whole world's power must be generated by nuclear plants.

- Reactors in every country make an effective world government a must; otherwise, nuclear explosives will become as common as gunpowder.

Second, require that authors of such Al-Gore-global-warming letters tell us how we are to establish this vital, effective world government.

Fred Christensen, Aiken, S.C.

Comments (11)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/05/08 - 05:45 am

Don't try to put the

Don't try to put the Goremania in perspective, Mr Christensen. You'll be politically incorrect.

buddydawg
buddydawg 08/05/08 - 06:23 am

You forgot one - Global

You forgot one - Global Warming is a Hoax.

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/05/08 - 07:42 am

What's with the world

What's with the world government notion. That is fallacious. Well while humans maybe in denial about global warming life on the planet is sensing it very well. Numerous species are becoming extinct, a third of the worlds coral reefs are dying, glaciers are melting and polar bears are dying, the sea level is rising, bees have taken a huge hit and without pollinators no produce, etc, etc, etc.

digmick
digmick 08/05/08 - 08:13 am

So let me get this straight,

So let me get this straight, we should refuse to do what is right - stop polluting the planet - until everyone else does?

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/05/08 - 08:16 am

We can reduce soot with

We can reduce soot with immediate results but reducing the carbon footprint does take a decade to produce results and it does have to be a global effort.

buddydawg
buddydawg 08/05/08 - 08:27 am

CO2 is not a pollutant,

CO2 is not a pollutant, plants love it!

fredinaiken
fredinaiken 08/05/08 - 09:01 am

Many others have attempted

Many others have attempted world government; most recently Adolf Hitler and Tojo, Marx and Stalin. Today apparently Islam. The "cure" infinitely worse than the (supposed CO2) problem? Those who want effective global CO2 reductions, pray tell us how to establish an effective and attractive world government first, since without world enforcement anything done locally is completely pointless. And while they are at it, they might design a gravity shield and thus make the inhabitation of the moon and planets readily possible; the invention of a gravity shield an easier job?

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 08/05/08 - 09:03 am

Biz, I was actually reading

Biz, I was actually reading an article about the sea level rising deal and the writer talked about how due to the movement of the techtonic (sp?) plates that although the sea level may see a slight rise in the near future that even if the poloar ice caps melt away like Gore predicts in his "film" that eventually the sea level will in fact decrease because of the plates movements. I'll see if I can dig up that article for you.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 08/05/08 - 09:07 am

Biz I'm curious if you've

Biz I'm curious if you've read John Coleman's comments on global warming? It's an interesting read, I'm no scientist but he does make some good arguments. Here's Coleman's stuff I'll keep looking for the article on the plates. http://media.kusi.clickability.com/documents/Comments+on+Global+Warming1...

Bizarro
Bizarro 08/05/08 - 09:31 am

I am familiar with Coleman

I am familiar with Coleman and I do agree that the issue has become politicized (with detriment), that academics do often have an elitest attitude, the issue has been hazy for years, and that just because a consensus believes global warming is accurate it doesn't mean that it is true. Also climate models really sucked until recently. But we do note glaciers retreating and species are becoming extinct, but that may well be natural and cyclical. 99.9% of species that have existed on the planet are extinct so it is a good bet that more will join-likely we are prime candidates. I like Coleman's huzzpah and his skeptism. I still think that the issue of global wariming being man-made is a debatable issue, and I argue that life will likely still exist just not us and many other dominate species (but that may be very natural like the passing of the dinosaurs) We seem a species hell bent on destroying ourselves.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 08/05/08 - 10:33 am

I often wonder something

I often wonder something along those lines myself Biz. That could the extinction of man could lead to the development of a higher species than ourselves? We seem so determined that the earth will no longer be here if people are not on it, but much like the Dinos couldn't the death of humans spring forth new life on the planet ... maybe some kinda cool super dino-human-sabertooth tiger-pterodactyl hybrid species

Post exchange construction loses 40 days to winter

The $22 million expansion of Fort Gordon's Post Exchange lost nearly 40 construction days this winter, but the project's manager said Wednesday that the new facility should be ready well ahead of ...