An Augusta man was in the Richmond County jail Sunday, charged in the shooting death of a Columbia County man.
Terry Antwan Ramsey, 40, of the 2300 block of Gordon Highway, was booked about 9:30 a.m. on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime, according to a jail official.
He was being held without bond in the death of Richard Paprocki, 36, of the 300 block of Avery Landing in Martinez.
According to a statement from the Richmond County Sheriff's Office, police went to Mr. Ramsey's home at 3:22 a.m. after a report that shots were fired there.
Sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said deputies learned the two had argued before Mr. Ramsey fired at least nine shots at Mr. Paprocki from a handgun.
Woman dies after car runs off Appling road
An Evans woman died Sunday afternoon when she lost control of her car on a two-lane gravel road in Appling.
Linda Kay Hayes, 50, of Skeeter Lane, died about 5 p.m. in the single-car accident on Gray Road off Louisville Road, according to Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison.
Ms. Hayes was driving a 1995 Volkswagen Jetta at high speed when she lost control of the car and struck a pine tree, said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.
He said Ms. Hayes had left her boyfriend's home on Gray Road just before the accident.
Gray Road runs off Louisville Road near Columbia Road.
Mrs. Garrison said a toxicology examination is pending.
Legislator will hold digital TV seminar
U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett, R-S.C., will hold the first in a series of seminars on the transition to digital television in Edgefield, S.C., today.
The one-hour session will begin at 9:30 a.m. at Edgefield Town Hall, 400 Main St.
- There will be a lane closure on Bobby Jones Expressway in the eastbound and possibly the westbound lanes between Scott Nixon Memorial Drive and Wheeler Road today through Thursday. The closures will occur from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Motorists can expect periodic lane closures on both sides of Interstate 20 between Lewiston and Belair roads next week. The closures are part of an ongoing sound barrier installation project.
- There will be a temporary lane closure on Cox Road just south of the intersection with Grey Lane from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday. It will shift northbound traffic around the work zone, where crews will be connecting a new water line.
- Bluff Avenue will be closed between Georgia and West avenues for several months as crews reconstruct the road.
When to water
You cannot water today in Columbia and Richmond counties, which are under Level Two restrictions.
No watering is allowed on Mondays, but on other days watering is allowed from midnight to 10 a.m. on an even-odd system based on street address.
ODD-NUMBERED ADDRESSES: Water on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
EVEN-NUMBERED ADDRESSES: water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
There are no water restrictions in South Carolina's Aiken, Edgefield, Barnwell and McCormick counties.
How to save water
- Use a grease pencil to mark the water level of your pool at the skimmer. Check the mark 24 hours later. Your pool should lose no more than a quarter-inch each day.