Host's comments truly were savage

On July 16, the well known radio host Michael Savage said this on his program:

"I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's the brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life.' ... "

He continues to suggest that there is no autism epidemic, and that bad parenting is the cause of autism.

This is incorrect and hateful information that he is spreading to his many listeners. Autism organizations all over the country are calling for a boycott of his radio show advertisers, and the media outlets that air his syndicated show.

I believe it's time Michael Savage finds a new job and keeps his savage remarks to himself.

This hate speech against disabled children such as my grandson has no place in our society. Although his speech is protected by the First Amendment, it still is immoral, and does immense harm to the community.

Maurine Meleck

North Augusta, S.C.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 08/02/08 - 05:29 am
This is not the first

This is not the first instance of Michael Savage peddling hate speech. Several years ago the homophobic Savage stated "Homosexuals should catch AIDS and DIE!" I think he was forced to issue a retraction in that instance. Radio stations & advertisers respond to public sentiment. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reported that WHK AM/1420, the only Cleveland-area station carrying Savage's radio talk show, is breaking its contract with Savage's syndicator, Talk Radio Network, according to Mark Jaycox, who manages the Cleveland stations under the Salem Communications corporate umbrella. "This guy's a knucklehead, and I want to get rid of him," Jaycox said. The radio station Super Talk Mississippi announced recently that they were canceling Savage's show because of the autism comments. Michael Savage has been also been kicked off KGIL in Los Angeles - the 2nd largest market in the U.S. as well as another station in Virgina. Hate speech does not equate with freedom of the press or freedom of speech. Canning Michael Savage is not gov't censorship but broadcasting corporations' decision based on response to public demand. The program director of WGAC in Augusta, Ga. will eventually get the message that Michael Savage must go. He will get that message from listeners & from advertisers. I am not gay & do not suffer from autism, but I find Michael Savage's hate speech truly abhorrent.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 08/02/08 - 06:58 am
Turn the knob. If noone

Turn the knob. If noone listens.....I think rap music is dreadful, hate filled and vulgar. I don't listen to it. However, I do believe in free speech and the right of anyone to go on the air and make a fool out of himself.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/02/08 - 07:08 am
This is not the first

This is not the first instance of John Cain peddling hate speech. Nearly every one of his posts is about his hatred of the United States and his support for all of our enemies (ie terrorists).....or at least his hatred of the President.

jsterett
jsterett 08/02/08 - 07:24 am
So, Savage made a fool of

So, Savage made a fool of himself; that's not the first time and other radio talkers have done the same; some much worse. Savage revealed his ignorance but that is not "hate speech". I rarely listen to talk radio but the times I have listened I have heard more real hate and contempt from Neal Boortz than I have from other talkers. Should Savage and Boortz get booted off the air? I'll let the GAC managment make that decision. If I turn the dial to GAC and don't like what I hear I can always go to another station.

standtall
standtall 08/02/08 - 07:55 am
I don't believe Savage

I don't believe Savage advocated hatred of autistic children. Instead, he was warning us of the dangers of misdiagnosis and over-medication. These are both serious concerns. He has a right to voice his opinions as do we.

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 08/02/08 - 08:14 am
standtall, some folks can't

standtall, some folks can't grasp the obivous.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/02/08 - 08:16 am
You should have known that

You should have known that the Goose Stepping Republicans would come to him defense. Let Bill Clinton or anyother Democrat had been the one to say this, Sister Alabab and the rest would be calling for their heads. Mighty strange that most of you were not saying the same thing when it came to RYAN B.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/02/08 - 08:16 am
You should have known that

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 08/02/08 - 08:16 am
I do not believe he was

I do not believe he was advocating that there is no autism, Rather as stand said, misdiagnosed, over medicated, an excuse for other problems, etc, not that it is not real in some cases!

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/02/08 - 08:19 am
I blogged about this last

I blogged about this last week. Michael Savage should be removed from the radio over these remarks!

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 08/02/08 - 08:27 am
BTW, this is a very timely

BTW, this is a very timely LTE since Jenny McCarthy will be on WWE's Saturday Night Main Event tonight raising autism awareness.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/08 - 08:37 am
Ms. Meleck says Dr. Savage's

Ms. Meleck says Dr. Savage's speech is immoral. By her own reasoning then, her letter to the editor is immoral.

msitua
msitua 08/02/08 - 08:39 am
He was advocating that almost

He was advocating that almost all of the autism diagnoses are incorrect. This flies in the face the truth and is an absurd statement. Amazingly, the autism community, for the most part, agrees with his comments on over-medication of children(and adults for that matter) by doctors. That's why so many parents of autistic children resort to natural supplements and not meds. But those are two different issues and his approach to this subject was totally hateful and dangerous.

sjgraci
sjgraci 08/02/08 - 08:40 am
Savage is a pig.

Savage is a pig.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/02/08 - 09:11 am
Who did I defend? Or was I

Who did I defend? Or was I just lumped in with the other "goose stepping republicans?"

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/02/08 - 09:28 am
I didn't know that defending

I didn't know that defending someones First Amendment Rights, regardless of what they say, made you a "Goose Stepping Republican." Typical liberals, freedom of speech unless you [filtered word] them off.

firstamendment
firstamendment 08/02/08 - 09:33 am
The spirit of the first

The spirit of the first amendment was so that people would not get arrested for disagreeing with government policy but you still can't scream "FIRE" in a crowded venue for safety reasons. The spirit of free speech should not allow for radio DJs to be paid to make commentary like a 5th grader that promotes intolerance, misinformation and sets a precedent for a very slippery slope for other issues.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 08/02/08 - 09:41 am

Thank you "firstamendment" for emphasizing my point.

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 08/02/08 - 09:47 am
many cases of autism is a

many cases of autism is a poor excuse for poor parenting, and yess it is over hyped, mis diagnosed and over medicated! Those my friends are facts and if savage wants to state those facts, it is his right. We are still in the US aren't we? First, a little apple and orange comparisdon there isn't it?

ITDoc
ITDoc 08/02/08 - 09:47 am
Autism: The direct result of

Autism: The direct result of leaving your children sitting in front of the idiot box when their brains are still learning to deal with stimulus. They receive staccato bursts of video information, it deters proper development of the brain and the brain shuts down receptors. Autism did not exist prior to the MTV age, keep your kids away from television till they're old enough. 21 yrs ought to do it.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 08/02/08 - 09:56 am
Are we so ignorant that when

Are we so ignorant that when someone says something we don't agree with - we can't change the station or have an opinion of our own. Of course, it is always hate when people say something that others don't agree with. Some defend lyin ryan b and his racist lies and that seems to be fine with them.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 08/02/08 - 10:13 am
"The price of free speech is

"The price of free speech is that you have to take the bad with the good, regardless of how you define them" - Quentin Crisp. Turn the damn thing off.

dani
dani 08/02/08 - 10:25 am
Since I don't listen to

Since I don't listen to Savage I haven't heard the facts and I have no idea if he is guilty. But, Savage is one man, a minor player, who doesn't have a large audience (or at least I didn't think so until reading this article and the comments). Give it a rest. So perhaps he is an idiot. I have an autistic 12 year old grandson, and trust me, what Savage said-or didn't say- has no bearing on the life of my grandson. Don't give Savage powers he doesn' t possess.

rainh2o
rainh2o 08/02/08 - 10:32 am
Mr. Savage might be a bit

Mr. Savage might be a bit harsh in his judgment on this occasion, but he usually makes very good sense. All of the folks who are calling for his head just have pent-up anger for sensible things he has said in the past that offended their socialist mentalities. And another thing; I hear that he is an excellent driver.

cutty101
cutty101 08/02/08 - 11:23 am
The same folks that wanted

The same folks that wanted Imus to stay --now want Savage to go! Funny how we react when the ridiculous comment is directed at someone or something we are personally invested in!!

dani
dani 08/02/08 - 11:45 am
cutty..I wanted Imus to stay,

cutty..I wanted Imus to stay, he is one of my favorites, but I dont know enough about the situation to smear Savage and I do have a 12 year old autistic grandson. I think that someone put the wrong interpretation on his remarks, they LOVE to do that. Makes them feel goood.

LBenedict
LBenedict 08/02/08 - 12:28 pm
As a parent of a child with

As a parent of a child with autism, upon reading the transcript of Savage's "speech", he has a bunch of points that I agree with. The never-ending rush to prescribe pills - the Oprahfication of the US (everybody has a disease or condition so we can medicate them) - diagnosing children with autism when in fact it is cerebral palsy; CP is associated with birth trauma, so diagnosing one with autism will keep doctors off the hook in a malpractice claim.

rbk
rbk 08/02/08 - 12:46 pm
I didn't hear the broadcast

I didn't hear the broadcast that is being referred to. It sounds like he went off the deep end on this one. I do think a lot of his remarks are crude and I don't particularly agree with a lot of what he says, but some of it is "right on". I have noticed that there seem to be more diagnoses of autism & ADD now. They were unheard of when I was growing up. I do believe the ADD card is overplayed sometimes to excuse behavior problems that could be corrected by proper discipline. My family says I have ADD, but I was expected to toe the mark anyway when I was in school and I was able to get an education and be productive in spite of it. I believe also, with the poster that said letting the TV baby sit the kids is a bad thing. Violence begets violence. We didn't have a TV in our home until I was in High School. I read all the Hardy Boys books and had chores to do on the farm. I learned to entertain myself with reading and devising my own games to play. Also had an erector set and building blocks that I entertained my self with. There was none of this "I'm bored" at our house. If we'd have said that, our parents would have found some kind of work for us to do.

jamesjeffersonpendergras
jamesjeffersonpendergras 08/02/08 - 01:11 pm
Right on rbk. The things you

Right on rbk. The things you mentiond would cure a lot of add and autism in kids.!!!! I was very active as a kid, depending on the situation, my dad always had a "cure"!

gagirl40
gagirl40 08/02/08 - 01:39 pm
Micheal Savage is an idiot.

Micheal Savage is an idiot. But what amazes me about his statement the most is that he assumes all children with autism, or "act" like they have autism don't have fathers. Nobody else caught that? "They don't have a father around to tell them, 'Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life.' ... "