Remember who died for your rights

I would like to respond to the letter to the editor "Writer confused about concealed carry" (July 26) by Jay Collett.

Collett asks "Also why should I thank a serviceman for a right that this country has had since its inception?" Yes, we should thank our "far-thinking forefathers," as Collett puts it. But anyone can write a piece of paper that says anything he or she wants. That doesn't in and of itself make it happen. Maybe Collett should have shown the U.S. Constitution to the fundamentalist Muslims before they flew planes into the Twin Towers; think of how many lives he would have saved by showing the murderers the rights of those they murdered that day.

Our forefathers knew that a piece of paper alone would not protect your rights when they wrote "provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity" in the U.S. Constitution, authorizing the military. They knew that is what it takes to keep others from taking freedoms from us. Collett can thank the forefathers for the freedoms he has, but he better also thank all the servicemen and women who have served since the Revolutionary War for being able to keep them.

Collett needs to get his head out of the sand and see all those who would like to take away his right to freedom of speech. I may not agree with what he says, but I, and many hundreds of thousands of others, have served in this country's military services, willing to put our lives on the line so he could continue to have the right to say them.

And I thank all those who came before me and served with me so I could serve under the same Constitution, and all those serving after me for allowing me to continue living under it.

Harvey Woods

Martinez

ldsmith1
ldsmith1 08/02/08 - 07:46 am
Well said, Mr. Woods. Thank

Well said, Mr. Woods. Thank you for your service.

trucksareforgirlz
trucksareforgirlz 08/02/08 - 08:05 am
My heartfeld thanks to all

My heartfeld thanks to all service men and women (past, present, and future)! May God bless all the service men and women who continue to keep our flag flying for freedom and independence, and may God bless all the civilians who stand up and support our service personnel!

confederate american
confederate american 08/02/08 - 11:47 am
thank you mr.woods,well

thank you mr.woods,well said,but its a shame that now we live in a country were there are very few true americans left,we have to many bed wetting liberals,whinners and the ones that want the government to take care of all there wants.i say we have way to much government in our lives.this country is going more and more down hill everyday,its time for all of us to get back on our needs and ask gods forgiveness.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/03/08 - 06:48 am
So you think that you are a

So you think that you are a "true American"? I wonder how many " bed wetting liberals, whinners" died so you can sit on your behind and type those words. Do you think that ever service member past and present consider themselves to be Conservative? IMHO you and those like you that try to play politic with those of us that served and served proudly, are worst than any so called " Whinning Liberals".

jack
jack 08/03/08 - 10:50 am
FFH, even vets like you,

FFH, even vets like you, Retarded Army, et al, have the right to be liberals and whine. You earned it just like Mr Wood earned the right to express his opinion, and he is dead on target in responding to Collet's letter..

they call me pete
they call me pete 08/03/08 - 11:13 am
good god ff, you are a pos.

good god ff, you are a pos. As a vet, thank you Mr.Wood and thank you for your service.

factchecker
factchecker 08/03/08 - 01:47 pm
I think FFH was refering to

I think FFH was refering to Conf. Am.'s comments. I don't agree with FFH's words but he also has a right to say them.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 08/03/08 - 03:14 pm

Thank you Dont want, you are exactly right. Unlike Jack and that callmelimpedpete, at least you can allow yourself to think with a clear mind. If you look at the Pete and Jacks of the world they are the biggest HYPOCRITES in the world. They accused others of whining, yet that is all they do day after day. Democrats this, Liberals that, Leftwing this. I cannot think of one single poster that identifies with the Democratic party that does the same thing. All I can say to these too is, keep a good supply of blood pressure medicine.

imdstuf
imdstuf 08/03/08 - 06:18 pm
What does this letter have to

What does this letter have to do with carrying concealed weapons while shopping at the mall? lol

factchecker
factchecker 08/03/08 - 08:05 pm
It doesn't have anything to

It doesn't have anything to do with concealed carry other than Collett was the author and made some stupid remark about why should he thank a serviceman in the same letter.

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of illnesses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an emergency closure of all seven of ...