Child gets 81/2 years for shooting death

It's a pitiful story, Assistant District Attorney Geoffrey Fogus began Wednesday.

A 12-year-old shot an elderly man as he lay on the floor, pleading for his life.

A child with an absentee father and incarcerated mother bounced among family members, victimized along the way.

And locking up the boy in a juvenile justice facility for the next 81/2 years might be the best thing to happen to him, said the judge who sentenced him.

On Wednesday morning, Coreon A. Jackson took the witness stand in Richmond County Juvenile Court and admitted that he shot 65-year-old Roosevelt Cowins.

But he blamed 21-year-old Willie Casey, his accomplice in the March 19 home invasion. Mr. Casey shot Mr. Cowins first and then told him to shoot the man, he said. Coreon also said it was Mr. Casey, not him, who laughed about the killing.

Mr. Cowins' sister, Lillian Trant, didn't hear Mr. Casey giving any instructions, she testified Wednesday. She was asleep when she heard two gunshots and sprang out of bed. Her brother ran into her room and fell to the floor.

Coreon was standing at the door, pointing a gun at her brother and demanding money, Ms. Trant testified. He pointed the gun at her and demanded money, too.

"I said, 'Honey, I don't have any money,' " Ms. Trant testified.

Coreon shot her brother, then turned and left with Mr. Casey. As they left, Ms. Trant said, she heard Coreon laugh and say to Mr. Casey, "I told you I would do it."

Mr. Casey was later found dead in his jail cell with a bedsheet tied around his neck.

On Wednesday, Coreon apologized for his role in the shooting. He feels bad about what happened, he said.

Claude Tate, Coreon's counselor at the juvenile detention center, said the boy is a typical 12-year-old as far as his behavior goes. He's polite and smart. He's doing well in a structured environment and talks of wanting to finish his education, Mr. Tate said.

Before the shooting, Coreon had stopped going to his seventh-grade classes at Tubman Middle School.

His attorney Brendan Fleming told Juvenile Court Judge Pam James that Coreon understood he wouldn't be leaving court with a probation sentence. But what happens in juvenile court isn't just about punishment; it's about saving children. He asked for a short time in a juvenile detention facility, where Coreon would get supervision and education.

The prosecutor asked the judge to sentence Coreon under Amy's law in order to impose the maximum detention time possible -- up to age 21.

Coreon needs to feel the weight and cost of his actions, Mr. Fogus said. At least for eight years, the community and Coreon would be protected, he said.

The judge agreed. She committed Coreon to a secured juvenile justice facility until age 21. She set goals for him -- getting a GED, following the rules, taking any trade training available and serving as an example to other children.

Coreon is clearly a victim, too, Judge James said. He has never had an adult to take responsibility for him and teach him the value of life.

In the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice, he can get an education and have people with his best interests at heart who will watch over him, she said.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

AMY'S LAW

Coreon A. Jackson, 12, was sentenced under Amy's law Wednesday. Amy's law was passed in Georgia in 2006 to give juvenile judges the power to impose longer sentences on children younger than 13 who kill. Amy Yates was 8 years old when she was strangled to death in Carrolton in April 2004. A 12-year-old boy accused of killing Amy could be detained for only two years. Two years later, another teenager confessed to killing Amy, and the boy was released from custody.

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 07/31/08 - 10:14 am
hell the school alone says it

hell the school alone says it all

sassymouth
sassymouth 07/31/08 - 10:14 am
This is what happens when

This is what happens when women of all races have children just to get a "check", which is our tax money! Then they don't take care of them, and they wonder why they rob, rape, murder etc. All this kid wanted was some attention...and negative attention is better than no attention at all. Maybe these next 8 1/2 years will do him good or maybe he will just be more angry than he was when he did the crime.

sassygalady30
sassygalady30 07/31/08 - 10:15 am
a parent r not he knows right

a parent r not he knows right fom wrong n his mother isnt much better

Delivered1977
Delivered1977 07/31/08 - 10:17 am
I'm familiar with this child.

I'm familiar with this child. I dealt with his grandmother attempting to run a scam using him ... it's really sad. I suppose I should be grateful to have come out of it safely.

rufus
rufus 07/31/08 - 10:20 am
Our prisons, juvie or adult

Our prisons, juvie or adult are not set up to rehabilitate. They are set up to incarcerate. This kid will come out worse than he is now which means he will kill again. There is no hope for him so he needs to stay locked up for the rest of his life. IMO

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/31/08 - 10:25 am
Who in the hell is defending

Who in the hell is defending the guy who shot up the church, Shivas? You're projecting. This little thug should be locked up for life.

Farful
Farful 07/31/08 - 10:46 am
So the judge set goals for

So the judge set goals for this murderer. Great idea ! And Dr. Spinks, I'm certain that this fine young man was listening closely and will be a model inmate.

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 07/31/08 - 10:48 am
Locked up for life???????????

Locked up for life??????????? The little punk, gangsta wannabe needs a sleeping pill, permanent like!

kidcounselor
kidcounselor 07/31/08 - 10:48 am
I have not pity for him... I

I have not pity for him... I have pity for the elderly man... Many kids grow up A child "with an absentee father and incarcerated mother bounced among family members, victimized along the way" and NEVER MURDER somebody in cold blood like this. Too bad the sister did not have a weapon by her bed to defend her brother!!!!

Like the kid a few years back who was also around 13 - he had already robbed one store that night, on robbery number 2 he was distracted and the clerk shot him 5 times, but did not kill him... Ohhhh, the outrage and protests - shooting this poor little boy with no father at home 5 times who by the way had a .38 in his hand pointed at the clerk's head!!!

You know, when somebody uses a gun or pulls a gun in committing a crime - all rules are off... I am NOT going to conduct a survey of his home situation and check his birthdate if I get the chance....

momoffive
momoffive 07/31/08 - 11:19 am
It's a shame that now we

It's a shame that now we don't only have to worry about adults that we don't know hurting us but now we have to worry about what children might do.I believe that this kid should spend the rest of his life behind bars. their are way to many children thinking that they can do whatever they want without being punished for it. I truly believe there should be a zero tolerance policy for child killers but we also have to take a look at the law that says if you spank your child you can go to jail. Children these days need alot of discipline to keep them in line and parents should be allowed to spank their children without the worry of going to jail. Maybe if this little punk had gotten a few good spanks he wouldn.t have turned into a killer at the age of 12

Redibear
Redibear 07/31/08 - 11:44 am
I think this kid need to stay

I think this kid need to stay in prison until Mr. Roosevelt Cowins return to life on earth. I am heartless for people who kill someone child or an adult. Freedom is something he sure no longer enjoys while he is breathing. Mr. Roosevelt Cowins no longer has his life to live…..

bone
bone 07/31/08 - 11:53 am
because he is sorry he did it

because he is sorry he did it i am supposed to believe he is capable of being changed? i completely disagree: he is marked by this callous disregard for human life as a predator in our society. he should be treated accordingly and either euthanized or ostracized permanently. isn't there a remote island somewhere for murderers and rapists? i'd be willing to pay a little more in taxes to get the true villains out of the u.s.

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 07/31/08 - 11:56 am
same here bone. Drop um off

same here bone. Drop um off on an island woment on one, men on another in seperate oceans. Air drop food and med once a month and that's it.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/31/08 - 12:00 pm
Harvest the body parts. A

Harvest the body parts. A young boy ought to have a good heart and liver and kidney and various other good stuff. Waste not want not.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 07/31/08 - 12:14 pm
I keep hearing the phrase,

I keep hearing the phrase, "we're a product of our environment". I don't believe it. I believe we learn from our environment and what we learn is we will continue to wallow in a bad one or we will seek to rise above it. It comes down to choice. My husband, whose father died when he was a year old, raised himself on the streets of Hell's Kitchen (Manhattan), N.Y. There was never a more grounded or compassionate person. There comes a time when one has to take responsibility for one's self.

dani
dani 07/31/08 - 12:47 pm
The situation is too tragic

The situation is too tragic for me to even think about. Now, the mother with the red, spiked hair-do made the statement that she should have been a better mother, well I agree. Put her in a cell for awhile and give her some parenting lessons while incarcerated.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 07/31/08 - 12:49 pm
Harrisburg landlords are

Harrisburg landlords are responsible for renting to "downwardly mobile" tenants. Smart landlords are members of H.O.N.G.K.O.N.G www.hongkongaugustaga.org

chacha2008
chacha2008 07/31/08 - 12:58 pm
I just think this whole story

I just think this whole story is so sad. I just can't imagine a 12 year old killing someone, but then I don't think anyone should kill period! So sad that folks keep having children when they can't take care of themselves let alone a child. This is just another example of folks who never need to have children. Some people just are not meant to be a parent. Now his mama wants to make things right with him. Ha ha, you are on parole. You lost that chance to be a loving mother who is a good example a long time ago.

CCKC
CCKC 07/31/08 - 02:08 pm
Things will never change as

Things will never change as long as the law remains so lenient on criminals. Come on people think back just over the last few weeks or so, we had a sexual preditor who not only was released early he didn't have to register on the sex offenders list, not even a year later he has attacked a pre teen. A child for crying out loud, he is now 23, something terribly wrong with how that went down. Then this week we see where the man who was arrested for the killing of the cellist down town was the same young boy whom at the age of tweleve beat a 17 month old baby to death. Something must change. I would be willing to bet that if someone knew without question if they took a life (other than in self defense) that they would be sentenced to death, they would think twice about. If child molesters knew they would be sentence to life in prison no questions asked they might think twice about. They would be punished for sure in prison. But the leniency in our courts is what I blame. Not someone's mamma or daddy or lack of. My mother abandoned me and I have never felt the need to kill someone to get what I want. These kids just are not afraid of the consequence. Why should they be?

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 07/31/08 - 03:03 pm
Another "Mr" joe, spend a

Another "Mr" joe, spend a litttle time in juvee detention, then get out and kill someone else, just like "bro" casey.

NedaKlugh
NedaKlugh 07/31/08 - 03:36 pm
At least he owned up to it

At least he owned up to it and told the truth that he did it. Casey took the easy way out and hung himself. It is so long since I heard of someone actually pleading guilty. It was a nice surprise in a sick way.

bone
bone 07/31/08 - 04:05 pm
would anyone be so kind as to

would anyone be so kind as to loan mr. jackson the appropriate length of rope and a limb from which to dangle it? since he was so willing to be duped by him in the first place, perhaps mr. jackson will follow mr. casey's example yet again...

mybaskett
mybaskett 07/31/08 - 05:45 pm
Many of you have sick minds.

Many of you have sick minds. Maybe I am Nieve. When I look at my 10 year old daughter. knowing that she will be 12 in a year and a half. I still see a young child trying to learn about learn about this fast paced world and the changes her body is going through. What saddens me most is the hatred on the message board. I Thank GOD he watches out for fools and babies!!!!!! This young man was with the wrong crowd. I do believe that his sentencing was fair. I also believe that he can be rehabilitated. The children of this world have no future with so much negativity. Please remember that these young children will eventually run this country. Quit blaming the mom. I am sure she is blaming herself enough. Let it GO!!!!!!!

hisfaith2003
hisfaith2003 07/31/08 - 05:46 pm
No this child does not need

No this child does not need evaluation, this child was trying to impress an adult that thought shooting someone would make him a man, because he thought that was cute, and if he didn't get punish he would have thought the next one was cute and then he will have keep on going until he was punished 81/2 is not long enough for killing someone and being 12 is not a excuse. 12 yr olds knows guns kill. and i pray that he does get out and become productive....

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/31/08 - 05:50 pm
I'm not buying the he had no

I'm not buying the he had no supervision crap. Lots of kids have or have had it worse than he. They aren't killing people. He took the life of a man that was begging not to be shot. When he graduates from kiddie jail and gets let loose back on society I would watch out.

enana03
enana03 07/31/08 - 06:59 pm
This child as he is called

This child as he is called comes from a family of criminals. His mother was just released from prison and he has other family members who are currently incarcerated or have been incarcerated. He was allowed to run the streets and do just as he pleased without consequences just as his mother was allowed to do. This goes back to parents being responsible for the offspring they create. That is not the case here. I agree with the punishment and sincerely hope this gives Coreon time to think about not only the life he took needlessly, but also the impact it had on the family. He needs to be held accountable for his actions. Too bad his accomplice is not here to pay the price as well. I don't like having to support criminals any better than any other taxpayer, but I assure you, we were already supporting this one and have been for quite some time. I would rather support him behind bars than running the streets acting like a thug and taking innocent lives.

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 07/31/08 - 07:24 pm
Does anyone know a good dr

Does anyone know a good dr who can "gather" his organs? That's the only way he can repay society for his worthless self!

alden
alden 07/31/08 - 11:56 pm
Anyway you look at it, our

Anyway you look at it, our society is stuck with this piece of work. And believe me, work was not the word I really wanted to use.

alden
alden 07/31/08 - 11:57 pm
Anyone making excuses for him

Anyone making excuses for him discusses me.

richgirl33
richgirl33 08/01/08 - 12:00 am
I think it is hard to pass

I think it is hard to pass judgement on something that we have not experienced. Some say that this child needs to be locked up forever, but would you still feel that way if it was your child or family member. Society fails to realize that children are really affected by the actions or lack thereof of their parents. They do seek outside attention, good or bad. The bible does say that we should not kill, but Jesus caused Paul(Saul) to see the light and turn from his ways after killing hundreds or even thousands of Christians. We only want true forgiveness when it applies to ourselves. Take out how you feel about the crime, take out how you feel about people that commit crime, and look at this "killer" as the child that he is. We may not have comitted sins as "serious" as murder. but is there any partiality with
God. There is not big sin and little sin. Sin is sin. "Let he that is without sin, cast the first stone."