Teacher is accused of improper relationship

AIKEN --- The State Law Enforcement Division has arrested a 37-year-old North Augusta teacher who is accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a 14-year-old female pupil.

Shannon Fowler, an eighth-grade math teacher at Paul Knox Middle School, is charged with five counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, one count of enticing an enrolled child from attendance in school and one count of violating mandated test security regulations and procedures set forth by the state Board of Education.

Arrest affidavits said Mrs. Fowler, of the 400 block of Pine Butte Lane in North Augusta, communicated with the pupil "all hours of the day and evening" and engaged the girl in "adult-themed conversations" that were inappropriate for a minor.

Jennifer Timmons, a spokeswoman for SLED, said "there is not enough evidence to determine if a sexual relationship existed at this time."

According to the affidavits, Mrs. Fowler bought the girl a prepaid cell phone on May 20 without the knowledge or permission of the girl's parents.

The warrants also allege Mrs. Fowler encouraged the pupil to create a false persona to hide their friendship. The teacher is also accused of giving the girl a ride home from school several times a week without permission from the pupil's parents, the arrest warrant states.

The investigation by SLED found that the teacher discussed standardized test questions with the pupil, a violation of South Carolina law. Agents began their investigation of Mrs. Fowler in June at the request of the North Augusta Department of Public Safety, according to SLED.

"The decision to call SLED was to eliminate any conflict that may arise as a result of this investigation due to Mrs. Fowler's husband's previous employment with the North Augusta Department of Public Safety," Lt. Tim Pearson of public safety said in a statement.

Mrs. Fowler was freed from the Aiken County Detention Center on Wednesday on a personal recognizance bond, according to a statement from the Aiken County Sheriff's Office.

Reach Michelle Guffey at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or michelle.guffey@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/31/08 - 04:47 am
Mrs Fowler may have just been

Mrs Fowler may have just been a nice person, or there's more to the story then what's reported, or this is just another attempt by the white man to keep the gay woman down. Details to follow....I hope.

chatty814
chatty814 07/31/08 - 05:06 am
oh yeah Patricia, just a nice

oh yeah Patricia, just a nice person buying a cell phone for the child and giving her rides home and having adult conversations with this child without the knowledge of her parents, oh heck yeah I would be furious too. And here you are playing the race card again, it would not matter if it was a white man or a black man, the gay woman ought to keep her paws off of other peoples children. Sick Lesbian

pofwe
pofwe 07/31/08 - 05:28 am
Why would a white "man" or a

Why would a white "man" or a "man" of any color want to keep a gay "woman" down? Unless its face-down. I'm a nice person too, wanna bring a teen-age girl over to my place for some "adult-themed conversations," or for her to "create a false persona to hide our friendship," Come on PT, you know you posted a dopey comment. That's not your usual style. Are you GAY? Just curious.

carolinagirl1970
carolinagirl1970 07/31/08 - 05:51 am
LOL sometimes you wonder

LOL sometimes you wonder about people maybe pt is who knows! It is very sick though! They need to screen these teachers more before they hire them. Need to lock her up and throw away the key!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/31/08 - 06:04 am
SLED spokesman says, "there

SLED spokesman says, "there is not enough evidence to determine if a sexual relationship existed at this time". This article is full of innuendo and short on facts. Mrs Fowler may just be some kind of freaked out mother and the student may be an abused child. I don't know what the situation is from this article. Hopefully, more will come out. And yes, I do have lesbian tendencies.

sliique
sliique 07/31/08 - 06:04 am
I MUST admit: Even though I

I MUST admit: Even though I seldom agree with patriciathomas and her philosophies and, even though I have this image of her/him in my mind's eye of an old, lonely, crochety, dried up widow, mad at the world, I STILL read her Posts and, most often, don't respond.

This "comment," today about Mrs. Fowler? COME ON, PT!!!! What "white man?" Surely NOT the Principal at PK School? SHE is, after all, a BLACK female named Brenda Smith that does one heckuva job. You NEED a man, PT, OBVIOUSLY!!!!!!

pofwe
pofwe 07/31/08 - 06:05 am
PT, wanna go nuttin'

PT, wanna go nuttin' sometime?

getagrip
getagrip 07/31/08 - 06:08 am
What I want to know is who is

What I want to know is who is the "white man"--Jennifer Timmons with SLED might be female. Is PT gay herself or something? She certainly must not be a parent.

johnpaulquincy
johnpaulquincy 07/31/08 - 06:10 am
pt, "say it ain't so,

pt, "say it ain't so, Joe"!!!!!!! HMMMMMMMMMMMMM, come to think of it tho, a woman who likes it both ways ain't "half" bad!!!

chatty814
chatty814 07/31/08 - 06:13 am
getagrip, PT did post that

getagrip, PT did post that she does have lesbian tendencies, maybe she and shannon fowler should get together and have adult conversations, hell shannon could even by PT a cell phone so they can discuss their lesbian tendencies.

The Godfather
The Godfather 07/31/08 - 06:15 am
it's pat

it's pat

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/31/08 - 06:23 am
I often don't agree with PT

I often don't agree with PT either but as I was reading I was thinking that there isn't alot of info here....Maybe the relationship was out of line but how far out of line is yet to be determined based on this article. AS far as adult themed conversation, I don't know of much that I could teach a 14 year old, these kids now a days know more at 13 or 14 than I knew at 19 or 20.......

chatty814
chatty814 07/31/08 - 06:23 am
it's PT

it's PT

Nammy
Nammy 07/31/08 - 06:31 am
This line leaves a whole lot

This line leaves a whole lot of questions in my mind: "due to Mrs. Fowler's husband's previous employment with the North Augusta Department of Public Safety"-is this maybe a "smear campaign" against this teacher? Is that her "mugshot" in the picture too? Why would anyone accused of this crime even smile at all?...along with all the other questions being asked as well....PT---LMAO! (':

karmakills123
karmakills123 07/31/08 - 06:31 am
missing a lot of info

missing a lot of info here...PT you really got them going this morning! :) ....looks like the dept of PS in North Augusta Knew something about this lady.....anyway it will all come out in the wash....................

Ga Values
Ga Values 07/31/08 - 06:45 am
PT, Jack can solve all your

PT, Jack can solve all your problems,,you know a little ride in the BMW, bring bug spray, the deer flies are murder this time of year.

whyme
whyme 07/31/08 - 06:49 am
Whatever the real story is,

Whatever the real story is, we must remember that we only know what the media is putting out there and of course the public is immediately jumping to conclusions. First of all the woman has a husband according to the news this a.m. Second, notice they said "inappropriate relationship" and everyone assumes it's sexual. (of course the comment about the phone calls can understandably lead to this). Third, and wisely, the Fowlers are not commenting, so while this can be a good thing, it only allows everyone to make assumptions. This is so typical of the news and of course the public in general. What folks also forget that, besides someone is innocent until proven guilty, that the more speculation goes on, the more the child will not necessarily get the justice she deserves either because too much is out there. And that's still the bottom line-what's going on with the child.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 07/31/08 - 06:58 am
PY Good morning...sarcasm is

PY Good morning...sarcasm is a mighty tool....one that many are not familiar with....do it again and see if anyone figures it out...I too may have some lesbian tendencies...LOL

pofwe
pofwe 07/31/08 - 07:02 am
I too have some lesbian

I too have some lesbian tendencies, is this normal for a male?

426Hemi
426Hemi 07/31/08 - 07:11 am
Patricias comment could be

Patricias comment could be directed mostly at some gook named "Justus4" or some other over the top black redneck!

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/31/08 - 07:12 am
I agree PUTT, sarcasm just

I agree PUTT, sarcasm just goes right over some peoples head. It must be those lesbian tendencies some of us males have that we pick up on it pretty quick. LOL. An epidemic of male lesbians. Who knew!

426Hemi
426Hemi 07/31/08 - 07:15 am
BTW, if you've never paid

BTW, if you've never paid attention to J4 postings, nothing but race is spewed. Everybody puts down the brothers; white man is trampling the blacks. J4 comments? You baiter you!

karmakills123
karmakills123 07/31/08 - 07:18 am
my tendenscies.. so my Dr.

my tendenscies.. so my Dr. said more potassium! ~: p

Anna2008
Anna2008 07/31/08 - 07:24 am
I do not understand why

I do not understand why everything has to have a race comment in it. This is a case with no information and nobody knows what a heck happened there. I hope we get more information on the case...

im a namechanger 2day
im a namechanger 2day 07/31/08 - 07:33 am
Ok. I admit it. I'm GAY.

Ok. I admit it. I'm GAY. Now. Man it feels good to finally be out
of that dark dank closet. And I owe it all to YOU PT. sniffle...........

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/31/08 - 07:50 am
Funny how some of these

Funny how some of these people jump right on an article but otherwise say the AC doesn't tells the truth and now want to make a mountain out of this small amount of information that has been given in this article.

noway
noway 07/31/08 - 08:00 am
PT that last comment is

PT that last comment is hilarious! The first part true though...

whatisthisworldcomingto
whatisthisworldcomingto 07/31/08 - 08:01 am
I know Shannon personally and

I know Shannon personally and I believe this story. I sure would not want her to be teaching my kids and know that she is all the time telling her kids that what goes on at home does not need to be repeated at school. What she does in her spsare time is her business. Well, what she does in her spare time should not be what a teacher does. Teachers are suppose to be role models for the kids they teach but NOT her. She is all over the place, whether it be with a child or another man. This woman has issues and should be locked up to keep her away from our kids and any other man or woman because she is NOT a faithful wife.

whatisthisworldcomingto
whatisthisworldcomingto 07/31/08 - 08:09 am
Who said that I didn't say

Who said that I didn't say anything!!!!!!!!!!!

triumph110
triumph110 07/31/08 - 08:11 am
This is happening all over

This is happening all over the country. Go to www.schoolteachernews.com and click on the Scandal page. They have documented over 290 of these types of incidents since just the beginning of 2008.