Barack and forth

The Europeans seemed to love Barack Obama. But you have to wonder: Were they even listening to what he had to say?

Fact is, that's not the Barack Obama we know in this country.

Don't get us wrong. We would love for Europeans to like our president. We would love to hear Europeans express appreciation for the blanket of protection we've provided them since World War II.

But were Obama's words that much different from what the current president might have said?

Consider this passage from Obama's Berlin speech:

"This is the moment when we must renew our resolve to rout the terrorists who threaten our security in Afghanistan, and the traffickers who sell drugs on your streets. No one welcomes war. I recognize the enormous difficulties in Afghanistan. But my country and yours have a stake in seeing that NATO's first mission beyond Europe's borders is a success. For the people of Afghanistan, and for our shared security, the work must be done. America cannot do this alone. The Afghan people need our troops and your troops; our support and your support to defeat the Taliban and al-Qaida, to develop their economy, and to help them rebuild their nation. We have too much at stake to turn back now."

He's absolutely right. Yet, that sentiment is wholly inconsistent with Obama's trademark policy of getting out of Iraq as soon as possible, regardless of the consequences. His Iraq policy -- at least until recently -- has been "I don't care what we have at stake, it's time to turn back."

Why is it time to cut and run in Iraq but time to bring on the surge in Afghanistan?

And was the European throng in love with the message or just the messenger? Are they on board or just in love?

Moreover, consider the audacity of Sen. Obama quoting the determination of the Berlin mayor in the darkest hours of the Cold War showdown with the Soviet Union: "'There is only one possibility,'" Obama quoted the mayor. "'For us to stand together united until this battle is won.'"

"The people of Berlin refused to give up," Obama told the crowd.

How richly ironic, since giving up is precisely what his entire campaign was built upon until after he won the Democratic primary.

Obama is so allergic to victory in Iraq that even today he won't acknowledge that the surge worked. Fact is, he predicted the surge would make things worse.

This is a far cry from the stalwart mayor of Berlin. Has Mr. Obama utterly no shame?

"This," writes the Wall Street Journal , "from a U.S. senator whose consistent message to the people of Baghdad, a similarly besieged city, also dependent on America's protection, has been, in effect, to give up."

Which is it? Is it the Obama we saw in the primary who couldn't wait to withdraw from Iraq regardless of the impact? Or the one who goes to Berlin and talks about winning the war on terror?

Will the real Barack Obama please stand up?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/28/08 - 01:09 pm
It's sad to see you stoop so

It's sad to see you stoop so low. It just shows your level of depravity. You a white person, would go out and make all kinds of hateful slurs against whites and try to frame a black man. To everyones credit, they knew it was a lowlife imposter. All I'll say is, get some help, dude. You're a disgrace to your race.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/28/08 - 01:12 pm
Converted you cannot be that

Converted you cannot be that naive. The bigot that RCR is talking about are posters like the one that posted at 12:26pm. He favorite words are, big lips, brillo head, nappy hair and Mammy when he referr to the Black race. Now if you do not see anything racist about that, then IMHO it says more about you than RCR.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/28/08 - 01:15 pm
By the way " FAKE FIRE" I

By the way " FAKE FIRE" I never ask for one of your posts to be removed, I want everyone to know what kind of a low life you are. You are like a big roach to me, spreading your BS in the dark, but running like the coward you are, when the lights come on.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/28/08 - 01:16 pm
Converted southerner, your

Converted southerner, your 1:09 post proves my point. Firefighterhamer, keep doing what your doing, virusses like him can't fool anyone. He's too cowardice, to post under his own screen name.

KingJames
KingJames 07/28/08 - 01:20 pm
Dear Editorial Staff, In this

Dear Editorial Staff,

In this day and age of equal media coverage for candidates, can you please start smearing or even promoting the other guy? You have done such a good job with Senator Obama bashing that I don't know if Senator McCain is doing anything at all to get elected. All I ever get from this media source is bad stuff in the form of editorials about Obama. If you are so much against him and all for McCain, maybe you should try promoting McCain a little instead of always vilifying Obama. As it stands now, I will probably stop reading every opinion on Obama from your editorial staff because it is always negative. This is overkill at best. Your obvious goal to get people to vote for McCain may actually backfire because people are smart enough to not want to be controlled by an almighty newspaper. The public may actually stop believing anything that this paper puts out about Obama because the paper is so blatantly against the man. Even if you don't smear McCain, at least give the guy some space by coming out with a positive editorial for him or something!

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/28/08 - 01:20 pm
Oh, I know what a weasel he

Oh, I know what a weasel he is You know that like the old saying goes, to make up for what he is lacking as a man, he has to make himself look bigger in other areas.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/28/08 - 01:24 pm
ffh... i think you've missed

ffh... i think you've missed the postings of rcr and you're defending someone who has continuously called anyone that disagrees with him many, many different names. We aren't saying we agree with anyone calling others names, but to defend someone that has done the same, many times, says a lot about you also.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/28/08 - 01:33 pm
kj... I guess you're saying

kj... I guess you're saying that people can't handle negative press. When the facts aren't all positive, what shall we do? Like you, i guess we're just suppose to "follow" your lead and stop reading the paper because we're too stupid to make a decision on our own. When someone is running for president, we need to have all the facts and not just what we want to hear so we can make informed decisions.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/28/08 - 01:40 pm
Converted southerner, I don't

Converted southerner, I don't see you saying anything when blacks are called all kinds of evil names. You only say something when you or other whites are spoken of. Yeah, I feel you and many of these posters are bigots. I can only judge by your postings. Your whines are on deaf ears, bud. Until you can make evenhanded comments, I will attack back. You're Southern for all the wrong reasons.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/28/08 - 01:42 pm
Okay, then I must have missed

Okay, then I must have missed his comments that were anywhere near what this thing posts. All you have to do is look at all of the deleted posts from it. Now I will never sit here and tell you that I agree with everything that RCR posts, but I have never seen him post anything near what this vile low life posts day after day after day, yet not one single time have you had or at least posted that you have had a problem with it. I have stated in ther past that I thought JUSTUS was intentionally baiting with his post and in fact stated that I doubted that he was Black. When RCR sttops to the level of this low life, you can rest assured that I will be one of the first to call him on it.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/28/08 - 01:45 pm
I see I had a comment

I see I had a comment removed. I guess someone doesn't know that Obama's marxism is common knowledge.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/28/08 - 01:48 pm
PT, I do not think that was

PT, I do not think that was your post, someone using a similar name to yours. LOL

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/28/08 - 01:53 pm
I just spotted that ffh.

I just spotted that ffh. Thanks for confirming. The . between the names is the tell tale.

friefighterhamer
friefighterhamer 07/28/08 - 01:59 pm
Two of the most racist, black

Two of the most racist, black bigots on the board calling someone else a racist. Now isn't that cute? Coward, don't hide from anyone fif! Also, I can use any name I want. Cry to the chronicle, I don't give a crap. Bright man, you get that straight about your stupid comment concerning the gun permit? Jeez, what a lowlife idiot!

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/28/08 - 02:00 pm
rcr... do you want me to post

rcr... do you want me to post the list of your name calling postings? I believe there are some that say things just to get reaction and i choose to ignore and don't comment. You have posted what some consider just as vile over a long period of time. Sounds like poor me-poor me when you complain about others. Guess my 1:09 post must have hit a nerve with you. Please tell me what isn't fact and what point it would have proven for you. As usual you go after the messenger instead of the message.

Rozzie2003
Rozzie2003 07/28/08 - 02:12 pm
King James, a great response

King James, a great response to the Chronicle's editorial, Barack and Forth.
I plan to write a letter to respond to this editorial.Check out this website,www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/flipflops. Seet he flip/flops of McBush,( McCain )

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/28/08 - 02:25 pm
KingJames, good post. Of

KingJames, good post. Of course, as you know, this is a conservative editorial page (for the most part). Editorials are opinions drawn from available information and written from a specific point of view. The New York Times never writes anything good about conservatives and the Augusta Chronicle never writes anything good about the left. However, the AP, that is the major news supplier for the Chronicle, always writes good stuff about Obama and seldom even mentions McCain except in passing, and then only in the most inconsequential terms. If you find opinion (editorial) to be opinionated, good. If you stop reading, how can you comment on your opponents incorrect opinion?

mable8
mable8 07/28/08 - 02:39 pm
Perhaps Obama is trying to

Perhaps Obama is trying to convince everyone he has "experience in foreign affairs" by taking this trip. However, the trip does not quialify him for experience other than travel. And did anyone notice that he told the Germans not only do they need to redistribute their wealth, but the US should also redisstribute ours. Doesn't sound very democratic to me; but it is socialistic according to Marx and Stalin's rules. Elect this fool and we will live like they did under the USSR.

Michael Ryan
Michael Ryan 07/28/08 - 03:52 pm
King James, if all you get

King James, if all you get from this media source is Obama bashing, you're not paying attention. Here are links to four editorials speaking positively about Mr. Obama - stretching back to his coming out at the DNC in 2004.

And we don't consider it bashing to disagree with his politics.

Michael Ryan

ladyN
ladyN 07/28/08 - 04:36 pm
Obama's words were very

Obama's words were very different from any other candidate because he really believes that we can change as a country. I listen to guest on Fox News says things like we could care less what the Europeans think about us and other just things that keeps the country so divided. No matter what Obama does or says those that do not agree with him or in the case of many just down right hate him, will never find anything positive in the message. He won't use the words you want him to use regarding the surge so, he's wrong in the eyes of the Republicans. The Surge isn't exclusively responsible for the conditions in Iraq, it was a combination of things. He keeps saying this over and over again. But not using the words people want him to use makes him wrong. Now today Fox is making a big news about some referring to him as the next president. I watched John McCain on CNN yesterday and they had flashing across his name The Next President of America. Who's complaining or whining. Obama is representing issues people afraid of change would prefer keeping them swept under a rug. This country needs change and change does not come easy.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 07/28/08 - 05:26 pm
change/hope, hope/change,

change/hope, hope/change, change we can believe in. Doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy. barack hussein obama is a very self-absorbed liberal senator from the corrupt chicago, IL political machine. We have the messiah, who got into office by default, joined a church that would promote his candidacy, worked for acorn who is being investigated because of their scams/money problems, close contacts with corrupt political machine in chicago, IL and other shady and indicted individuals (including cousin in kenya), been present approx 135 days of his senate position, Il facing $64billion in debt (under his term)and he's done nothing for his own state, etc and etc. They will be voting for his disastrous global poverty bill within next 2 weeks.

dani
dani 07/28/08 - 06:26 pm
It was said that the last

It was said that the last time the Germans heard a charismatic speaker such as Obama was in the late 1930's. They worshipped that speaker also. The Germans have always had a socialistic bent, and it is not surprising that they would agree with BO.

friefighterhammer
friefighterhammer 07/28/08 - 09:50 pm
hamer and rcr, can you afford

hamer and rcr, can you afford a computer???? Your boss probably would like you to quit, posting on the job!

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.