Writer confused about concealed carry

Just wanted to clear up a few misunderstandings in the letter to the editor "Carrying a gun is our right" (July 20) by Shannon Thigpen. Regarding the phrase "card-carrying liberals," apparently she is confusing communism with being liberal.

The real danger to this great country is extremism in religion and government. The right to carry a gun has never been in danger of being outlawed, despite what Fox News is telling you.

Also why should I thank a serviceman for a right that this country has had since its inception? If anyone, thank our far-thinking forefathers. Ms. Thigpen should please get out of the 1950s and change the channel.

Jay Collett

Augusta

firefigtenhammer
firefigtenhammer 07/26/08 - 07:35 pm
Minorities do have guns, they

Minorities do have guns, they are just all illegal!

factchecker
factchecker 07/26/08 - 07:50 pm
Firefiqtenhammer, apparently

Firefiqtenhammer, apparently you don't see all the minorities that apply for gun permits in this area monthly. Lots of minorities do carry guns legally everyday.

firefightanhammer
firefightanhammer 07/26/08 - 08:17 pm
I know that, dont wanna be

I know that, dont wanna be and more power to them, they like me, hopefully will help keep the peace!

alden
alden 07/27/08 - 04:06 am
Guns equal racism? Justus4,

Guns equal racism? Justus4, I have never seen anyone turn any issue into a racist issue as fast as you do. You are totally obsessed. Instead of being black and proud of it you seem to have an issue with it. I would suggest that you get over it.

Honden
Honden 07/27/08 - 07:34 am
The REAL idea behind "gun

The REAL idea behind "gun control" is to prevent uprisings. The PRIMARY idea behind the Second Amendment is to FACILITATE an uprising of the people against a tyrannical government. Read the Federalist Papers sometime. I find it almost incomprehensible to realize that most people haven't ever taken the time to actually read documents like the Declaration of Independence or The Constitution much less anything like the Federalist Papers. The very people that are "to lazy to read" are usually those who are always griping about "rights" or "inequalities". Most of them couldn't tell you the difference in Liberty and Freedom. AS for the LTR , Sir , your arrogance is only surpassed by your apparent ignorance. You owe a HUGE dept to the American serviceman. You see,... HE/She is willing to DIE in order to preserve your right to sit your pompous butt behind your computer and spew ignorance. Not because they would necessarily agree or disagree with what you spew, but rather they would rather die than live in a society that prevents you from doing what you do.

Just_Visiting
Just_Visiting 07/27/08 - 11:58 am
Yeah praise those

Yeah praise those forefathers! They loved slavery, forcing natives off of THEIR land (and marching they to death) and keeping women pregnant and without rights! WooHoo! Forward thinking at its best! But don't forget they did it all in the name of God and to escape persecution.

Evolution... look that one up.

PS - Before the Cold War ever ended we were already becoming a socialist nation. How many more free hand outs does this country have to give at the taxpayers expense?? Welfare... Social Security... Subsidized housing... You want something, try working for it.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 07/27/08 - 01:01 pm
rpereaza.....if it bothers

rpereaza.....if it bothers you so much that YOUR forefathers forced people off of THEIR land, how about you pick up and move and give your land to a native American.....free of charge. Oh.....don't like to give up the goodies that you got from those evil forefathers do we?

Honden
Honden 07/27/08 - 02:52 pm
I have never understood why

I have never understood why anyone should be apologetic over a historical past that occurred before they or even their fathers were born. History isn't politically correct by any stretch of the imagination. Any efforts to make it so are both dishonest and full of cowardice.

dougmo
dougmo 07/27/08 - 03:44 pm
I read my hometown paper from

I read my hometown paper from time to time, and I am throughly amazed ad the shear ignorance of the people who decide to chime in. First, to SisterAbullah, I will NEVER apologize for things I did not do or control. History is already written and cannot be changed. The only thing I can do is accept and learn from it. Second, to Justus, when has a gun (or any weapon) cared what color you are? White and black people are EQUALLY affected by this law. The only people affected are convicted felons. Everyone else can get carry permits. (white or black) Deal with it. Lastly, to everyone else, the 1500's and 1600's are way too far back in history to apply weapons laws to today. Iwill apply what I do know about weapons. Living in a town which requires you to own a gun, there is no crime here. Think about it.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 07/27/08 - 03:58 pm
dougmo.....I believe you

dougmo.....I believe you misunderstood my sarcasm for sincerity. I'm in total agreement with you.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 07/27/08 - 04:00 pm
dougmo.....do you live in

dougmo.....do you live in Kennesaw?

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...