Writer confused about concealed carry

Just wanted to clear up a few misunderstandings in the letter to the editor "Carrying a gun is our right" (July 20) by Shannon Thigpen. Regarding the phrase "card-carrying liberals," apparently she is confusing communism with being liberal.

The real danger to this great country is extremism in religion and government. The right to carry a gun has never been in danger of being outlawed, despite what Fox News is telling you.

Also why should I thank a serviceman for a right that this country has had since its inception? If anyone, thank our far-thinking forefathers. Ms. Thigpen should please get out of the 1950s and change the channel.

Jay Collett

Augusta

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 07/26/08 - 04:56 am
Never in danger of being

Never in danger of being outlaws? Hmmmmmmmmmm ... Ask the citizens of DC about that.

CH
CH 07/26/08 - 07:18 am
Jay Collett, you show about

Jay Collett, you show about as much wisdom in this letter as Obama, which is a joke. Mr. Collett, servicemen and servicewomen have stepped up to the plate and put their lives on the line, and sometimes given their lives to insure the rights you enjoy everyday, including the right to compose the idiotic letter you just wrote.

The constitution is nothing but words on paper without the will and the people to stand behind it with military service, something I'm guessing you never did. If you think such thinking is from the 1950's, just turn on any news. All of them, even the most liberal mouthpieces like Katie Couric will show you that it is still a dangerous world for freedom, and that we owe everything to our veterans. Shame on you, Jay Collett!

HARLEY HOG
HARLEY HOG 07/26/08 - 08:13 am
If I looked in the dictionary

If I looked in the dictionary by IDIOT your picture should be there!!

rbk
rbk 07/26/08 - 08:27 am
Right on, CH. Jay Collett

Right on, CH. Jay Collett must also have problems with Christians and my right to practice my religion as I see fit. No one has any right to interfere with my practice of religion unless I am endangering someones well being by so doing.

erinm82
erinm82 07/26/08 - 08:49 am
I am very grateful for our

I am very grateful for our founding fathers, had we lost the revolution they would have been hanged for treason but they were willing to put their necks on the line to be free. The fought to make this country what it is today and for its survival, just like our military. Therefore, Mr. Collett it is appropriate for you to be thankful for both our founding fathers and the people who maintain and support the foundation they built. God bless America and God bless our military.

firefighthamer
firefighthamer 07/26/08 - 09:05 am
Jay, you astound me! You are

Jay, you astound me! You are proof positive a blabbering idiot can breathe without a brain!

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 07/26/08 - 09:24 am
RBK, you are 100% correct! I

RBK, you are 100% correct! I agree with you!

ITDoc
ITDoc 07/26/08 - 09:27 am
The second paragraph made

The second paragraph made sense. [filtered word] happened at the end of the LTE? Every person should thank every soldier they see. They never get tired of it and they deserve every single thank you they get.

justus4
justus4 07/26/08 - 09:43 am
This issue is being cleverly

This issue is being cleverly discussed because of the racial angle. Non-minorities historically liked to hunt & shoot at things and carry hidden weapons. They gained a foothold on the continent at Jamestown, successfully attacked the Native Americans, secured their property, all done with what: A gun. And what instrument put the fear of God in all plantation owners: A gun. The Revolutionary War was won with: A gun. The Civil War: A gun. However, EVERYONE could not legally own a gun, which is still true to this day. Why? Because that which is founded on violence, fear that some day that same violence may be visited upon them, thus the so-called gun debate. Bottom line; Non-minorities do not want minorities to have guns, so trick laws were establish, i.e. using ex- felon laws, background checks, etc. And the DC ban is directly because over 70% of inner city DC is, U guessed it, black. However, it's been ruled unconstitutional so lets see what happens. My prediction is an increase of violence, not only there, but throughout the nation. With more guns available, (thanks to powerful NRA lobbists) it's every rat to it's own hole and each man/woman for themselves. Good luck.

hoser123
hoser123 07/26/08 - 09:49 am
just, did you know the GA law

just, did you know the GA law forbidding people from carrying a firearm in a 'public gathering' was a direct jim crow law from a protest by mostly black americans in GA? We want this racist law removed.

firefighthamer
firefighthamer 07/26/08 - 10:01 am
I see there are at least two

I see there are at least two more idiots who fall in your category, Jay. They being justus and hoser!

jack
jack 07/26/08 - 10:12 am
FFH, you forgot Retarded Army

FFH, you forgot Retarded Army for the idiot category.

jack
jack 07/26/08 - 10:13 am
FFH, you forgot Retarded Army

FFH, you forgot Retarded Army for the idiot category. Right to bear arms not in danger? If this were true, why was a case brought against DC (and won by poaintiffs). There are other cities that need to be sued for the same reason-NYC being one.

accuracyplease
accuracyplease 07/26/08 - 10:19 am
Ad hominem attacks are the

Ad hominem attacks are the last resort of those who have nothing to say to refute an argument.

Honden
Honden 07/26/08 - 10:35 am
The TRUTH is that "racist"

The TRUTH is that "racist" gun laws go back to the 16th century. I'm not racist in any way. Just telling it like it is.

firefighthamer
firefighthamer 07/26/08 - 10:55 am
honden, 1500s you say, who

honden, 1500s you say, who enacted the gun laws?

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/26/08 - 10:57 am
The only IDIOT I see on thsi

The only IDIOT I see on thsi site is a low life coward that instead of being original in thought or user name, has to resort to using similar names to other posters because him dumb inorant azz has be deleted so many time. This person is a waste of air. As far as a right to carry a weapon, as long as idiots like him are not allowed to carry them, I am all for it. @ the jackazz that posted at 9:05am.

intheknow
intheknow 07/26/08 - 11:04 am
What a scumbag.

What a scumbag.

Honden
Honden 07/26/08 - 11:31 am
The colony of New Spain

The colony of New Spain prohibited all blacks, free and slave, from carrying arms because they were terrified of black slave revolts.

Honden
Honden 07/26/08 - 11:33 am
want more?

want more?

Honden
Honden 07/26/08 - 11:34 am
Starting in 1751, the French

Starting in 1751, the French Black Code required Louisiana colonists to stop any blacks and, "if necessary," beat "any black carrying any potential weapon, such as a cane." If a black refused to stop on demand and was on horseback, the colonist was authorized to "shoot to kill." In Louisiana, the fear of Indian attack and the importance of hunting to the colonial economy necessitated that slaves sometimes possess firearms. The colonists had to balance their fear of the Indians against their fear of their slaves. As a result, French Louisiana passed laws that allowed slaves and free blacks to possess firearms only under very controlled conditions.

Honden
Honden 07/26/08 - 11:38 am
Like I stated before I am

Like I stated before I am nowhere near racist. I am as white as anyone could be. I just think that if someone is going to talk about gun laws and ignoring a racist bias at the same time. they are obviously ignorant of historical events as they REALLY happened. There WERE reasons behind them.

firefighthamer
firefighthamer 07/26/08 - 11:59 am
1751 is the 16th century,

1751 is the 16th century, What year did new spain initiate the prohibition? Fire I carry and I do have a permit.

RAWR
RAWR 07/26/08 - 12:18 pm
Firefight ... 1751 is the

Firefight ... 1751 is the 18th century. I would watch out before attacking people on this forum calling them idiots.

Honden

intheknow 07/26/08 - 03:51 pm
What an idiot.

What an idiot.

firefighthamner
firefighthamner 07/26/08 - 04:14 pm
intheknow, quit talking about

intheknow, quit talking about yourself.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 07/26/08 - 07:59 pm
The letter is perhaps the

The letter is perhaps the most arrogant I have read in a long time.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 07/26/08 - 08:03 pm
Justus4, I am sure you have

Justus4, I am sure you have access to the same Internet, the same books, the same libraries that I do. It is statistically proven that when communities have concealed carry permits, that is, more legal guns, crime goes down. The problem is illegal guns, as I am sure you know. You said: "Non-minorities do not want minorities to have guns, so trick laws were establish, i.e. using ex- felon laws, background checks, etc. And the DC ban is directly because over 70% of inner city DC is, U guessed it, black." The DC gun ban was put in place by Black elected officials - are they racist? Why would an ex-felon law be racist?

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...