Inappropriate talk gets jailer 3 years

A judge imposed a three-year prison sentence Tuesday on a former deputy jailer who exchanged lurid and suggestive banter with an inmate.

"You should be absolutely ashamed," Judge Duncan D. Wheale said to Joseph K. Smalls.

Mr. Smalls, 44, who pleaded guilty, had worked as a Richmond County sheriff's deputy for only a few months when a conversation between him and a 27-year- old inmate was secretly recorded.

The inmate complained in February about Mr. Smalls' inappropriate behavior.

Mr. Smalls admitted he was wrong but said he didn't mean to harm anyone.

Assistant District Attorney Mukti Patel said a jailer could never have an equal relationship with an inmate because he is in complete control over inmates. She asked the judge for an order that would prohibit Mr. Smalls from ever being a law enforcement officer again.

By refusing to grant first offender status to Mr. Smalls, the judge ensured Mr. Smalls can never be certified as a police officer again.

Mr. Smalls said he had worked at the sheriff's office about six months. He had also worked for about a year with the state Department of Corrections, and for about four years in the juvenile justice system, he said.

In addition to the prison term, Mr. Smalls will serve two years on probation.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

dickworth1
dickworth1 07/23/08 - 04:53 am
Hey judge, how about the city

Hey judge, how about the city abusing taxpayers with their
spending habits!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/23/08 - 05:53 am
Political correctness gone

Political correctness gone wild? While the feminist ADA feels she struck a blow for womens rights, what's that going to do for the rest of the inmates? The guards will cut conversation with inmates to a minimum, possibly ending it altogether, for all practical purposes. Almost no communication with the guards will lead to many misunderstandings and you can bet the few conversations there are will be held away from recording devices. The inmate bringing the charges is especially vulnerable.

Reality
Reality 07/23/08 - 06:10 am
"You abused your position of

"You abused your position of power, in my opinion, no differently than white police officers (who abused jailed black inmates) did 50 and 60 years ago," Judge Wheale said. WHAT IS THIS COMMENT MEANT TO PROVOKE?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/23/08 - 06:33 am
Reality out of that whole

Reality out of that whole story, is that really all you heard. He was just using that as an example of what it reminded, or how extreme his behavior was. Everything doesn't have to start a race war.

justus4
justus4 07/23/08 - 06:54 am
This has gotta be racial! In

This has gotta be racial! In this case, the employee is a minority (acting like he is somebody) and the inmate is white. And the judge did what often happens, he supported his kind and will say, "our system cannot have jailers mistreating inmates" then print media will say, "see, law enforcement punishes their own" Ha! All at the expense of the brotha. No need for pics on this one... it's got racial injustice oozing off the screen.

Waymore
Waymore 07/23/08 - 07:01 am
Smalls gets 3 yeasr for

Smalls gets 3 yeasr for talking smack to a female inmate? He's a schmuck for sure, and he should never don a uniform again, but prison for taking inappropriately? Come on! He should have been hit with a huge fine that went to a victims assistance program, been given a long probation, and lose any certification. Maybe lots of community service too; but prison? That's space better given a criminal who is a real menace to society! If he had sex with the inmate, that's one thing, but get real! There are far more people to worry about roaming the streets.

Waymore
Waymore 07/23/08 - 07:02 am
justus4, how do you know the

justus4, how do you know the inmate was white?

christian134
christian134 07/23/08 - 07:13 am
Waymore I second that

Waymore I second that question..Do you or do you not have proof of your allegation? Come on my little racist buddy don't leave us standing in the dark....:-)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/23/08 - 07:28 am
justus4, I don't know anymore

justus4, I don't know anymore about this case then what the article says. Couldn't the guard have been white and the inmate black? Or both black or both white? Wouldn't the result be the same?

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/23/08 - 07:42 am
Has to be more to it than

Has to be more to it than that? You got to be kidding? Three years for a conversation? Smalls is Black and an idiot of the worst kind but please tell me that it was more than a conversation.

intheknow
intheknow 07/23/08 - 07:44 am
Christian, IMHO you nor

Christian, IMHO you nor Justus should ever throw the term racist around. However you are closer to the truth when you call him your " Racist buddy".

bone
bone 07/23/08 - 07:51 am
justus4 never disappoints: he

justus4 never disappoints: he always takes the conversation directly to racial angles. there is no hope for reconciliation in this country as long as instigators like him are around.

brd27
brd27 07/23/08 - 07:55 am
Who cares the race of the

Who cares the race of the two, it was wrong if one was purple and the other orange. Everything isn't always about RACE!!!

slimjim
slimjim 07/23/08 - 08:03 am
I work in law enforcement. It

I work in law enforcement. It wasn't the talk that landed Smalls in court. He kissed this inmate and then fondled him while he was asleep in his jail cell (no where to escape). Then he threatened the inmate by telling him he knew the jugde's secretary. The secret tapes were then made to confirm the conduct of Smalls. Horrible abuse of power over a prisoner who was in jail on a misdemeanor.

426Hemi
426Hemi 07/23/08 - 08:06 am
J4 makes an axx of

J4 makes an axx of him/herself AGAIN. Bite my big black momba!

intheknow
intheknow 07/23/08 - 08:07 am
I knew it had to be more than

I knew it had to be more than a conversation. Smalls has a tendecy to abuse his authority.

intheknow
intheknow 07/23/08 - 08:08 am
" Big Black Momba"?

" Big Black Momba"?

Art
Art 07/23/08 - 08:22 am
I think 3 years in jail is

I think 3 years in jail is over doing it. He should be given a long probation, fined a lot and lost of job. I know what he did was wrong but 3 years in jail? Maybe one year in Jail i could go alone with.

pah4r
pah4r 07/23/08 - 08:22 am
justus4, just may be some day

justus4, just may be some day your outlandish racist, bigoted ways will get you an audience with "Bubba", (aka Mr. Small) and you too will get a chance to hear his speeches.

christian134
christian134 07/23/08 - 08:27 am
Smalls has a "tendency" to

Smalls has a "tendency" to abuse...wow intheknow isn't that just a tad of the understatement of the year....

Dark Lord
Dark Lord 07/23/08 - 08:30 am
I agree that Smalls actions

I agree that Smalls actions were totally unacceptable but probation, loss of certification, a large fine, and 6 months in RCCI would have been sufficient. Use the prison for whats it built for and thats criminals who are a true menace to society. People who sell drugs to kids get less time then Smalls. The sentence was a total overkill.

ITDoc
ITDoc 07/23/08 - 08:39 am
Leave the sentencing to the

Leave the sentencing to the people who have spent their lives in delivering them.

Edward1968
Edward1968 07/23/08 - 08:54 am
patthomas, Before you post in

patthomas, Before you post in the future, please drink your coffee first. Your post made absolutely no sense whatsoever. You obviously do not know the situation. How did the ADA strike a blow for womens' rights??

im a namechanger 2day
im a namechanger 2day 07/23/08 - 08:56 am
Oh good grief. What's it all

Oh good grief. What's it all coming to??????????

intheknow
intheknow 07/23/08 - 08:56 am
christian, how is what I said

christian, how is what I said an " understatement of the year"? Your rush to try to find a reason to criticize is leaving your slip exposed.

mrfixit
mrfixit 07/23/08 - 08:58 am
If he fondled him Mr.Smalls

If he fondled him Mr.Smalls should have to register as a sex offender

intheknow
intheknow 07/23/08 - 09:13 am
I believe that let him off

I believe that let him off easy with a guilty plea to a lesser crime. Now he may not have to register as an sex offender.

AugustaRaider
AugustaRaider 07/23/08 - 09:19 am
I agree with the fact that

I agree with the fact that three years seems excessive. There must be more to this story than the article lists.

Reality
Reality 07/23/08 - 09:20 am
I thought it was over a

I thought it was over a woman, it would have to be more than a conversation for that type of sentence. Speak into my mike I can't hear you....

christian134
christian134 07/23/08 - 09:29 am
hehe now that makes me smile

hehe now that makes me smile intheknow...:-)