Rabid coyote attacks cattle

A coyote that attacked a Columbia County farmer's cattle and was killed by farmhands tested positive for rabies Monday, marking the first such case in the county's history.

The attack occurred last week at a farm on Scott's Ferry Road near Appling, Emergency Services Director Pam Tucker said.

The county's Animal Control office sent the carcass to the state Division of Public Health, where test results completed Monday confirmed rabies.

"This is the first time we've ever heard of a rabid coyote," Mrs. Tucker said, noting that most local rabies cases involve raccoons, which have accounted for four such cases in 2008.

It's also unusual for a coyote to attack cattle. "They don't usually attack something so large," she said.

Rabies in coyotes is very rare. Only 10 such cases were documented in the entire country during 2006, the most recent year for which complete figures are available, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The owner of the cattle, John Knox, was notified by the Georgia Department of Agriculture that all cows that were in the pasture at the time of the attack must be quarantined for observation for six months to be sure none were infected.

"They advised that he has to watch for any suspicious behavior among the cattle," she said.

Mrs. Tucker reiterated that precautions such as keeping small pets indoors at night can help avoid confrontations with coyotes, which are common predators in the area.

"It's really tough for an owner of an animal if it gets attacked," she said. "This is one of the reasons why it is so important to get your animals vaccinated, and keep those vaccinations up to date."

Reach Rob Pavey at 868-1222, ext. 119, or rob.pavey@augustachronicle.com.

VACCINATE YOUR PETS

Columbia County Animal Care & Control will conduct a low-cost rabies vaccination clinic from 1 until 3 p.m. Aug. 2 (or until vaccinations run out). There are 100 available vaccinations.

The vaccination clinic will be at the Harlem Fire Station No. 2, which is located at 180 N. Louisville St. (behind the police station.) The cost is $2 per animal.

FACTS ABOUT RABIES

Rabies can cause death in animals and humans, but vaccination programs have made the disease rare in domesticated animals. More than 90 percent of animal cases reported annually to the CDC occur in wildlife.

U.S. RABIES CASES BY SPECIES, 2006:

Other 223
TOTAL 6,940

Source: US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention

pofwe
pofwe 07/22/08 - 04:37 am
Please get your coyotes

Please get your coyotes rabies shots while they're being spayed & neutered.

pops1
pops1 07/22/08 - 04:49 am
don't be stupid on such an

don't be stupid on such an important issue.

ANGIE MIKLES
ANGIE MIKLES 07/22/08 - 07:00 am
we take their homes away so

we take their homes away so what do you expect? deal with it.

steve-o
steve-o 07/22/08 - 07:22 am
Good one pofwe! I just shoot

Good one pofwe! I just shoot them on sight anyways, rabid or not. Fry em up with some coyote helper! mmmm, mmmm, good!

luv animals
luv animals 07/22/08 - 08:54 am
I agree with Angie Mikles!

I agree with Angie Mikles! The greedy developers are out of control and force these animals into our backyards! They have no place to go! They are Gods creatures too and have as much right to be here as we do... I'm tired of people who think the answer to everthing is to KILL!

georgiapeaches
georgiapeaches 07/22/08 - 09:15 am
And I suppose that you think

And I suppose that you think if is perfectly fine for them to come into your yard and attack your pets and God forbid your children "because they have no where to go and every right to be there"? These are deadly, diseased creatures that need to be killed!

AsItIs
AsItIs 07/22/08 - 09:46 am
The cows don't have a say

The cows don't have a say about where they are pastured, Angie. What about them? Even if they are vaccinated, coyote's that are rabid are derranged....to attack something that much larger than themselves....Cows are Gods creatures, too!!!!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/22/08 - 09:59 am
Wrong on taking their homes

Wrong on taking their homes away. Coyotes follow people around and live on our waste and unprotected edibles. They're urban scavengers. This coyote probably had an encounter with a rabid raccoon.

gnx
gnx 07/22/08 - 10:17 am
In 1969 only 23 Georgia

In 1969 only 23 Georgia counties reported coyotes in residence and now they can be found running rampant through the entire state. I'd say we definitely didn't 'take their homes' Angie - they're 'taking over' ours. Even with the ability to hunt them year round without limit hunters are barely making a dent in the population. Pam Tucker was also in error when she said it was 'unusual' for a coyote to attack cattle. If the opportunity arises they'll go after calves or deer, but their normal diet will usually consist of smaller prey.

TEDDY1
TEDDY1 07/22/08 - 11:11 am
blast'um.....they stink and

blast'um.....they stink and you can't teach them to sit...if they are such god's creatures then put them up for adoption over at pet smart.....se how many of god's creatures get adopted...

atwitsend
atwitsend 07/22/08 - 11:18 am
Memo to "Georgiapeaches"

Memo to "Georgiapeaches" -

Your ignorance is showing! History tells us that a civilization can be judged by the way humans treat animals.

"Deadly, diseased creatures" indeed! I'd say that's a better description of mankind.

georgiapeaches
georgiapeaches 07/22/08 - 11:35 am
Humans can prevent the spread

Humans can prevent the spread of rabies by vaccinating domesticated animals and livestock. When a wild animal contracts rabies and becomes agressive and deadly to others, it must be stopped. That is neither inhumane or ignorant.

steve-o
steve-o 07/22/08 - 11:47 am
coyotes are very weary of

coyotes are very weary of humans and althogh they are present in the wild, it is truly rare to actually see one while enjoying the outdoors. I do see coyotes while deer hunting sometimes, but I am 14feet up in a tree, with scent free clothes, rubber boots, and a masking scent. Even with all of these precautions, coyotes, will bust a hunter if he gets downwind of him.

steve-o
steve-o 07/22/08 - 11:52 am
The moral of my last post is

The moral of my last post is this; If you see a coyote and it does not IMMEDIATELY turn and run away, It is rabid. Shoot it before it spreads the disease if possible, but STAY AWAY from it!

atwitsend
atwitsend 07/22/08 - 11:55 am
First...learn to spell. It's

First...learn to spell. It's aggressive....with two g's!

Second...of COURSE all domesticated animals should be vaccinated. That's a given. And it's obvious that if a wild animal contracts rabies, it must be destroyed. But....to make a knee-jerk statement that "coyotes are deadly, diseased creatures and must be killed" is outrageous.

Hey - I know - let's just kill all the wild animals out there! We can start with coyotes and work our way up the food chain: deer, fox, bear, etc. How about this: if it has four legs and fur, SHOOT it!

luv animals
luv animals 07/22/08 - 11:56 am
O.K. Georgiapeaches… First

O.K. Georgiapeaches… First of all, NO I don’t think that it is O.K. for them to come into my yard and attack my pets! My pets ARE MY CHILDREN and they are not left in the yard unattended, JUST AS YOUR PETS OR CHILDREN should not be! (Not only due to the wildlife, but also do to sick people out there who prey on pets AND children!) My point is, due to this incident, I feel that there will be a mass cull of these animals (healthy or not). I know that there is nothing that can be done to save the rabid ones, but not all have to be destroyed! The stress that has been put on all of the local wildlife, who is being run out of their habitat, makes them very susceptible to disease, not to mention they have to find ways to survive that is out of the norm for them. That is probably how this coyote contracted rabies in the first place. Actually, coyotes primarily live off of rats, mice, insects, rabbits, etc… if you kill off all of the coyotes, then we’ll have another huge problem! I’m not sure if you are aware or not, but rats and mice can carry some very deadly diseases. Have you heard of the Bubonic Plague??? Atwitsend hit the nail on the head!

atwitsend
atwitsend 07/22/08 - 11:57 am
My last post was meant for

My last post was meant for "georgiapeaches".

atwitsend
atwitsend 07/22/08 - 12:00 pm
BRAVO to "luv animals"! You,

BRAVO to "luv animals"! You, my friend, are right on the mark!

georgiapeaches
georgiapeaches 07/22/08 - 12:02 pm
I used to think the same

I used to think the same thing Steve-o until I saw 3-4 of them walk boldly across my front yard as I was sitting on my front porch having coffee. I've lived all my life in the country and never saw one until a few years ago. When a wild animal like that comes out of its natural habitat, that is a sign that something is not right.

thistownisunbelievable
thistownisunbelievable 07/22/08 - 12:04 pm
Your pets are your children?

Your pets are your children? Sheesh. And, I am not doctor, but I think you can cure the plague with an antibiotic.

gnx
gnx 07/22/08 - 12:13 pm
I swear - luv and wit both

I swear - luv and wit both sound like a pair of Colorado tree huggers. There are more than enough coyotes in this state that even if every hunter went out and bagged one there'd still be more than enough to go around. This area got along just fine before the coyotes were around - see my 11:17 post. As for small rodent population control? The foxes have also been doing a fine job in that department and are currently in competition with the coyote, something they didn't have to worry about 40 years ago. The two of you should study wildlife management techniques before you start shooting from the lip...errr, I mean hip. ;-) Another thing - rats and mice don't transmit the plague, fleas do. Rats and mice are simply convenient flea transport.

steve-o
steve-o 07/22/08 - 12:57 pm
one time I saw a coyote going

one time I saw a coyote going down the road about 200 mph on a pair of roller skates with a rocket strapped to it's rear end. now that sob was crazy!

RockyMayer
RockyMayer 07/22/08 - 01:43 pm
gnx- coyotes are very timid

gnx- coyotes are very timid around humans when not traveling in packs. you said "In 1969 only 23 Georgia counties reported coyotes in residence and now they can be found running rampant through the entire state. I'd say we definitely didn't 'take their homes' Angie - they're 'taking over' ours." which may be true, but back then there were alot more woods and less land destruction going on.... is it possible that there are the same number of coyotes but just less places for them to go? killing them because there are 'plenty' is the way passenger pigeons were wiped out... care to repeat stupid history?

Rob Pavey
Rob Pavey 07/22/08 - 01:58 pm
coyotes have been around

coyotes have been around columbia county for years - but they're usually smart enough to not be seen, and they're good at dodging all the speeding SUVs (the deer up here aren't so nimble). Anyone who has ever walked the trails at Blanchard Woods Park or the disc golf course at Patriots - or the path to Heggies Rock - will see coyote droppings everywhere. the rarity of rabies cases in these animals is interesting. why so many raccoons but so few coyotes?

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/22/08 - 03:17 pm
Things just haven't been the

Things just haven't been the same since passenger pigeons were wiped out.

luv animals
luv animals 07/22/08 - 03:56 pm
To you gnx... I do not

To you gnx... I do not consider myself a tree hugger…. But if the point I’m trying to make makes me sound like one… Hey! I’m cool with it! This “Tree Hugger” cares and supports wildlife, both locally and worldwide. Its ignorant people like you that make me fight that much harder for their rights! Just because YOU feel there are too many or they are a nuisance, they should be killed???? I don’t think so! Also, Yes, I know that the plague came from fleas! What was the host???? RATS! I was using the plague as an example... More and more new sicknesses and diseases are popping up… who’s to say they couldn’t carry something new? Not everything has an instant cure!

To you Thistown…. Yes, my pets are my children and there are thousands, if not millions of people out there who feel the same way! Problem?? P.S. Antibiotics are not a cure all… But I guess a genius like you should know that...

Farful
Farful 07/22/08 - 04:40 pm
Coyotes are of no use, no

Coyotes are of no use, no better than rats, and should be shot on sight. All you bleeding hearts need to see is a couple of coyotes attacking a sheep that has just given birth. The govt. pays people to shoot coyotes out of airplanes.

Ole School
Ole School 07/23/08 - 04:52 am
they have also recently found

they have also recently found a dead raccoon that had an encounter with two dogs in McDuffie county , it was also rabid and the dogs were not up to date on shots and had to be out down !!!

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...