Deception lies with the pro-lifers

Gail Sikes ("Pro-lifers stand for more than children," July 8) should realize broader truths beyond her own self-defined ones. "Love of all mankind" and "protection of all human beings from fertilization until natural death" are empty shibboleths in this instance, because pro-lifers do not, in effect, practice the first one, and it would seem that even God does not practice the second one.

Pro-lifers believe they have superior insight, and assert that an unconscious fetus, or mass of embryonic tissue, is a person. They believe their irrational viewpoint is unquestionable because they know better. They further believe the imposition of a personal ideology on others is an act of love. Humans and animals share the same biology. Yet if I were to insist that a sheep embryo is a lamb, and that killing said embryo equates with the slaughter of an innocent lamb that eats, breathes and feels pain, people would think me insane. In fact, it is illustrative of the logic of pro-lifers.

At least one-third of all conceptions end in spontaneous abortion usually because of fetal defects. That makes God the biggest abortionist of all.

Most women who were not coerced and feel the decision was right for them experience no post abortion trauma. The women who feel traumatized are mainly victims of the very self-appointed moralists and crusaders who claim to have women's best interests at heart. They, along with patriarchal, controlling religions that subjugate women, inflict untold suffering by engendering guilt, depression and other useless emotions in those who should be free to determine their destinies without interference from self-righteous busybodies.

Planned Parenthood does not deceive or deny facts. Deception is the specialty of pro-lifers with their hysterical hogwash and calls for governmental control over an intensely private matter, all in the name of love.

Joni Ellsworth, North Augusta S.C.

dashiel
dashiel 07/22/08 - 08:26 am
I wonder how many of you good

I wonder how many of you good Christians would be willing to ADOPT a precious fetus if professionally supervised abortions were impossible to obtain legally? Not the currently fashionable bumper crop from Latin America, but the little stove black ones home grown right here in river city. Or aren't their lives precious to you? There's a reason the Romans enjoyed feeding early Christians to the lions. It's the same reason we feed late Christians to a political party that they have helped to make irrelevant.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/22/08 - 08:26 am
This is the worst pro-choice

This is the worst pro-choice argument I've ever heard, I think we're all a little more stupider for having read it ... oh no it's already happening.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/22/08 - 08:38 am
fd1962, you poached two

fd1962, you poached two chicken embryos and you're going to hell? Who are you trying to kid? Yourself? Killing babies and eating eggs is a very poor comparison. I guess this is more "well thought out" commentary from the pro-aborts.

ITDoc
ITDoc 07/22/08 - 08:39 am
There is no solution to the

There is no solution to the abortion issue. Both sides just want to win an argument. It seems to me, women who have abortions are not doing so flippantly or with no remorse. I know the few women in my life who have made this choice, suffer regret every time they see a child of the age the aborted child would be today. The government of this country would be better served to STOP legislating morality and concentrate on reducing government interference into personal lives and improving the security of our nation, the one true purpose of the Federal Government.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/22/08 - 08:40 am
dashiel, there are many good

dashiel, there are many good Christians already adopting children of every race unwanted by their biological mothers. I'm sure there are polls out there somewhere, but I personally know many people who have adopted under exceptional circumstances. For instance: My life was enriched by a lovely Filipino/black girl who was adopted by an Italian family from New Jersey, she had been abandoned on a beach in the islands, she nearly drowned in the surf. She was my best friend until her death in her 30's. Here, she might have been aborted and I would never have known her. Instead she was adopted and raised by a loving couple and lived long enough to bear a lovely daughter and show a lot of people what is important in life. She was the most gentle, loving, compassionate person I ever met. She was also a rare beauty throughout her life and created a lot of beauty around her with her floral arranging abilities. I am so thankful she wasn't aborted. How many people like this have been aborted instead of having a chance to bloom in life? One would be too many.

christian134
christian134 07/22/08 - 08:42 am
Why not just consider

Why not just consider speaking to the ones doing the "sexing" to try and have some responsibility instead of sidestepping the issues?...Those who have babies for the sake of having babies in order for the government to increase their handouts, to those who make mistakes but still will not accept responsibility, or to those who simply don't feel like having a baby as it interferes with their little lives dashiel why not counsel them...As for all the rest that are harmed by someone, I have no answers except God will provide a way...It may sound lame and even frivolous but I assure you it is not meant to come off that way...The hardest lesson in my life came from not understanding why God allowed bad things to happen...He doesn't cause them He just allows the evil to happen..The Word tells me God's ways are not mankinds ways...Hard to fathom but that is just the way it is...Who are we to determine if a baby is of worth in the long run scheme of things in this life...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/22/08 - 08:50 am
"Yet if I were to insist that

"Yet if I were to insist that a sheep embryo is a lamb, and that killing said embryo equates with the slaughter of an innocent lamb that eats, breathes and feels pain, people would think me insane." I don't think that makes you insane, that's a perfectly logical argument dead lamb embryo = dead lamb. What I do think is that people that try to compare humans to animals as equals should be treated like animals. Locked in a cage, kept on a leash when leaving the house, popped w/ a news paper when they are bad, made to "make" outside or in a litter box, not allowed to talk or reason, fed from a bowl, put on display or taught to do basic tricks, spayed or neutered (unless used for breeding), wear a collar, and possibly be served as an "exotic" dish in Chinese restaurants.

dashiel
dashiel 07/22/08 - 09:10 am
spad?!

spad?!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/22/08 - 09:15 am
there I fixed it dashiel,

there I fixed it dashiel, happy? Freaking spelling/grammer Gestapo is everywhere these days.

Dan White 07/22/08 - 09:19 am
Yes, a human had a lamb.

Yes, a human had a lamb. Mary had the Lamb of God who can take away the guilt and pain of those women who suffer the pain from having had an abortion, whose conscience is on fire, and the memory of that awful moment in the abortiion clinic won't go away. The Lamb can take that pain away for all who believe and look to the cross for forgiveness and cleansing.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/22/08 - 09:31 am
I think abortion is wrong,

I think abortion is wrong, but I don't think that abortion should be criminalized because if a woman wants one she's going to get one and I'd rather a woman murder her unborn child in a clean controlled professional setting as opposed to "home methods" or seeking a back alley doctor. But if you have to equate a lamb embryo as being the same as a human embryo to help you sleep at night or to justify murder, go for it. After all it beats eating your young like tigers do. Hey maybe they should do that ... legalize post birth abortions as long as you eat it. Oh no ... can't wait to hear the responses to that.

truthisouttherestill
truthisouttherestill 07/22/08 - 10:24 am
saywhat.....there is a way to

saywhat.....there is a way to stop those unwanted pregnancies from happening....get sterilized.....you would be doing the whole world a favor if you did....frankly any woman who acts so irresponsibly by having unprotected sex and getting pregant then having an abortion should be sterlized at the same time.....abortion should not be used at a form of birth control.

js_ee
js_ee 07/22/08 - 10:35 am
If a woman knows she can not

If a woman knows she can not raise a child, then why should she be forced to have one? While I don't think it should be allowed after 2-3 months, I don't think anyone has the right to force a woman into parenthood. Some of the same people cheering pro-life are the same ones who complain about welfare moms later. Fact is, most responsible adults don't have abortions. I wonder how many pro-lifers have adopted some of these babies they want to force a woman to have. If they were to stop protesting and start adopting, then there probably wouldn't be much opposition.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/22/08 - 10:38 am
Read my above post js ee. at

Read my above post js ee. at 9:40am. Your comment: "I wonder how many pro-lifers have adopted some of these babies they want to force a woman to have. If they were to stop protesting and start adopting, then there probably wouldn't be much opposition." doesn't hold water.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/22/08 - 10:44 am
js ee, if a woman knows she

js ee, if a woman knows she cannot raise a child, then why did she take the risk of getting pregnant? Sure, condoms fail, birth control fails, diaphrams fail, so why take the risk? Either abstain or if you want to have sex get your tubes tied and not risk having a child. If you're not responsible enough to raise a kid, why not be responsible enough to not take the risk of getting pregnant!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/22/08 - 10:51 am
Does anyone know what the

Does anyone know what the cost of getting an abortion is and what the cost of getting one's tubes tied is? Does insurance cover one, the other, or both?

js_ee
js_ee 07/22/08 - 10:57 am
Baroness, what do you mean it

Baroness, what do you mean it doesn't hold water...I agree that there are many adoptions everyday, but look at the number of orphans here in the US. There are far too many for us to be trying to tell a young woman that she MUST have this child...when undoubtly it will become another product of the state. Why should that child have to suffer b/c someone forced it's birth. I'm no doctor, but I feel that until it can be born and survive, even with the help of machines, a woman has the right to decide what to do with her body. Forcing a woman to carry a baby now equals nothing but trouble later.

imdstuf
imdstuf 07/22/08 - 10:57 am
People who are pro-life are

People who are pro-life are also the ones who are pro-death sentence usually. Ironic isn't it?

js_ee
js_ee 07/22/08 - 11:07 am
week, no one is perfect and

week, no one is perfect and people make mistakes. I always say that unsafe sex is just planning to be parent, but who are we to tell a woman who's using birth control that she and her husband can't have sex b/c she may get pregnant? Also, in most states you can't get your tubes tied if you don't have kids or under a certain age, unless there is some reason why you absolutely MUST not get pregnant. Again, I say let that person deal with their decision and GOD.

christian134
christian134 07/22/08 - 11:08 am
No, imdstuf, considering the

No, imdstuf, considering the ones who are on death row are there of their own choice...These people, many times, have done something so horrific, that the first thing most want would be to see the evil ones put to death...But your right imdstuf it is wrong to condemn people to death. I fought that mindset for a long long time and it still wants to gnaw at my insides when I see a child suffer a heinous death at the hands of some monster...

WorriedAboutOurFuture
WorriedAboutOurFuture 07/22/08 - 11:28 am
Joni Ellison. Same old, same

Joni Ellison. Same old, same old and not a clue.

truthisouttherestill
truthisouttherestill 07/22/08 - 11:54 am
js ee......sure mistakes

js ee......sure mistakes happen for all i know i was a mistake ha ha.....but if it was a mistake then why do some of these murdering women wait until 7....8.... or even almost 9 months and then have to have partial birth abortions......those are horrific.......if it was a mistake then you know it way before the baby has a real chance to develop......why wait until they are more than three months pregnant........we can claim that executing someone on death row is cruel and unusual punshiment and should be stopped.....but allowing a baby to be partially born and when his/her head emerges we are going to suck its brain out and kill it isn't cruel.....give me a break.

workingmom
workingmom 07/22/08 - 12:21 pm
In this day and age, there

In this day and age, there should be no unwanted pregnancies....period. Thee are young kids out there having casual sex and not taking the proper precautions. Then when the girl ends up pregnant you have another child who most times does not live with the mother and father as a family unit. To make matters worse, the young man or woman goes out and creates yet another life with someone else. I'm not voicing my opinion on abortion but what bothers me is there are so many babies out there being born out of wedlock and guess who ends up taking care of them? Usually the mother or her parents. If the father of the child even HAS a job, it is difficult to get child support out of him at such a young age because of little education or just plain laziness.

john
john 07/22/08 - 12:29 pm
interesting dashiel. I

interesting dashiel. I recently adopted, not locally. I took your suggestion and looked up orphans in GA on the GA DFACS web site. there are two boys 5 and under and one available girl 5 and under. Problem is that there are not many orphans, just lots and lots in foster care with a system that hates to terminate parental rights. There is also quite a large school of thought in the adoption arena that only african americans should be adopting african americans due to cultural identity. Aparently it is better for a black child to not have a home than have white parents. Im not arguing against adoption, It is such a blessing for the child as well as the parents, its just not as simple as you portray. There are so many couples who are struggling with infertilty all the while so many abortions are taking place. Sad.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 07/22/08 - 12:45 pm
Once again, the anti-choicers

Once again, the anti-choicers are the ones who want to force their sharia laws on women. Joni is correct. Her LTE explains the big government conservatives and their misogynistic agenda even better than my letter did three weeks ago.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 07/22/08 - 01:02 pm
And the anti-choicers are

And the anti-choicers are pro-death. In addition to the more than 266 million women they have killed during childbirth since 1776, they have also aided and abetted in the killings of countless people who were innocent of murder in places such as Columbia; Jackson, Ga.; and Huntsville, Texas. That is why the death penalty needs to be permanently abolished.

christian134
christian134 07/22/08 - 01:04 pm
Anti-abortionists is not some

Anti-abortionists is not some outlandish hatred of women or a law from the Koran willistontownsc. it is a law given by God to all people even those of you who choose not to believe it still applies...Abortion is wrong..

jack
jack 07/22/08 - 01:11 pm
Typical feminazi philosophy

Typical feminazi philosophy on abortion. Tell me that a so-called fetus with a heart beat (about 5 weeks). Tell me yoou aren't killing a baby when you pull it's head out far wnough to murder it by piercing the brain and sucking it out. Try this on for size:

Women have always had contro of their bodie-they have always (other than rape)been able to keep their legs closed and their panties on. Except for rape, there is NO excuse to have an unwanted pregnancy with condoms, pills, IUDs and you name it. Abortion is premeditated murder. As for her example of God being the one who may cause an involuntary miscarriage, it is HE who allowed the pregnancy in the first place and is the ONLY ONE who has the right to end it.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 07/22/08 - 01:15 pm
I know that anti-choice laws

I know that anti-choice laws don't come from the Koran, christian134. But nonetheless, the laws coming from your likes are indeed the Christian version of the sharia laws -- laws that control every aspect of women's lives.

truthisouttherestill