Bush's negligence

In signing the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act recently, President Bush said it "will help us meet our most solemn responsibility: to stop another attack."

We don't disagree at all. But his statement makes us wonder:

When did stopping another attack become his most "solemn" responsibility?

We've certainly always felt it was, but you could have fooled us by looking at Bush's record.

This is a president, remember, that has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to securing America's border. Nearly seven years after 9-11, the border still is not secure.

Bush's negligence has been more than passive; it's been an active negligence. He's gone out of his way to avoid securing the border, not only urging a recalcitrant Congress toward laxness, but leading the way toward reckless disregard of our safety.

He seems to have felt that the need for cheap, illegal labor was more important.

The unsightly truth is that the fact that there's been no terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9-11 may be due in large part to sheer luck. Consider: In 2004 alone, there were more than 75,000 OTMs -- "other than Mexicans" -- nabbed by the U.S. Border Patrol. Many were from nations hostile to the United States.

Many of them were quickly released, due to lack of jail space, and 90 percent never showed up for deportation hearings.

Furthermore, the Border Patrol estimates that it catches only about a third of the illegals -- meaning that there might have been 150,000 OTMs that came here illegally in 2004 alone.

Meanwhile, Bush was fighting not to secure our border, but to keep the flow of cheap labor coming here, through "comprehensive immigration reform."

His definition of "solemn responsibility" is somewhat different from ours.

MAOSETUNG
MAOSETUNG 07/21/08 - 01:58 am
it's not sheer luck you

it's not sheer luck you idiots. it's called how can over 300 million americans be so dumb?americans cannot or will not connect the 911 dots.it was an inside job idiots! that's why there have been no more attacks read david ray griffin's book " a new pearl harbor"bush and co are in iraq,and refuse to leave! you invade a country,pillage it,then tell the invaded country when you will leave? say what? isn't it strange that binladen is of no importance and his searchers have stopped looking for him?almost as strange as looking at his fbi poster and not seeing 911 mentioned anywhere, say what?

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 07/21/08 - 03:35 am
And with this election being

And with this election being given over to those same illegal aliens that got here, we no longer have our voice cause that is gone too!

ljc
ljc 07/21/08 - 04:18 am
Mexican drug cartels move

Mexican drug cartels move large quantities of cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana into the country to be distributed along the East Coast, Rodney Benson, the special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Agency in Atlanta, told The Atlanta Journal Constitution . He said drug-related kidnappings have increased over the past three months.

ANOTHER PRESSING TERRORIST PROBLEM FOR OUR COUNTRY!

MAOSETUNG
MAOSETUNG 07/21/08 - 04:33 am
do you see how the press

do you see how the press thinks that their readers are all morons?mexicans and otm's had nothing to with 911 nor did iraq.the purpose of this bill is criminal at best but basically it's cya.this bill assures the phone companies,and others who give personal info about you and me to the gov't that they can't be held liable,because they know the lawsuits will be flying once everyone wakes up and see what this criminal has been doing for 8 years.he has no intention of securing the border,and remember also he adamantly refused to appoint a 911 commission,and then gave in and appeared with cheney.there were no recordings,no video,no oath,no nothing as if it never happened.am i the only one who can smell the funk here?also, the original fisa worked well the only draw back was, that you must present in writing who you're spying on and why.bush chose to go through the back door because he's up to no good,can you smell it now?how about you jack?

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 07/21/08 - 04:49 am
Prediction time. He who shall

Prediction time. He who shall not be named will venture off topic just to take as many stabs at the president as possible. Probably even have a few opinions stated as though they were facts. And don't forget his dishonest "spin words".

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 07/21/08 - 05:08 am
"MAOSETUNG", your tin foil

"MAOSETUNG", your tin foil hat is on crooked. jeez.

bone
bone 07/21/08 - 05:44 am
mao, you certainly know a

mao, you certainly know a lot; would you be any relation to scott mcclellan?

GACopperhead
GACopperhead 07/21/08 - 06:13 am
Doesn't ANYONE care about the

Doesn't ANYONE care about the US Constitution? It States we will NOT be subjected to UNWARRANTED search!!! That means NO American will be wiretapped, etc. without a SEARCH warrant !!! Congress, the President and all who favor this FISA rewrite should be horsewhipped.

He who would trade freedom for security deserves NEITHER!
Thomas Jefferson

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/21/08 - 06:46 am
As a sovereign country United

As a sovereign country United States certainly has the right to secure its borders, but whether that is practical is another matter. There is little doubt that the majority of Americans want secure borders, but 2/3 of Americans think the U.S. war in Iraq is a mistake yet that fiasco goes on and on. I don't think scapegoating Mexicans & "Other Than Mexicans" (OTM) - no doubt largely made up of Hispanics from Central & South America who come here for economic opportunity - is the answer to either our security or our current economic difficulties. Nor is it a pancea to prevent crime in this country. The flow of illegal workers into this country suppressed wages for decades & Republicans were all in favor of that. Before 9/11 they claimed these people were doing jobs that Americans would not do. The fact is United States NEEDS a guest worker program, but the corrupt & incompetent Bush "administration" never got one off the ground. Bushco has politicized & mismanaged every department & agency of government including the immigration service. Short of rounding up all undocumented workers in this country & deporting them in rail cars a la the Nazis there simply is no solution to illegal immigration & secure borders short of AMNESTY & a guest worker program.

JimCox
JimCox 07/21/08 - 07:04 am
As the recession deepens, the

As the recession deepens, the housing market continues to slow and the "jobs nobody else will do" evaporate, it will be interesting to see how much crime rates across the country climb. Maybe then we will get serious about securing the border and deporting illegals.

justus4
justus4 07/21/08 - 07:35 am
The Bush administration is a

The Bush administration is a complete failure on all fronts. He has ripped the Constitution into pieces, used it as TP and handed it to the Congress. His knowledge about oil failed to benefit the country. Why? His understanding of foreign policy is atrocious and the VP is above the law. His decisions has sent thousands to an early grave, leaving parents, husbands & wives, and kids, wondering what it all means to be an American. He says its about freedom & democracy. Ha! This guy can't pronounce democracy, while millions are suffering, due to his action, in this one.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/21/08 - 08:24 am
Mao, sorry charley for the

Mao, sorry charley for the rant against you the other day. Didn't know it was you. Kudos to all those who oppose Bush and his unholy regime. To those who dont "want to believe" just wait and see.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/21/08 - 09:00 am
Charley, the support of

Charley, the support of Freeman should say all there is to say about your comments.

jack
jack 07/21/08 - 09:01 am
Mao (Younce), you need to lay

Mao (Younce), you need to lay off the koolaid the DNC has been giving out FREE for ignorant suckers like you. The AC is dead on target with Bush this morning (for a change).

jack
jack 07/21/08 - 09:05 am
Copprhead, the revised FISA

Copprhead, the revised FISA has more restrictions than the old and DOES require a warrant to monitor (wire tapping is old stuff and out dated) communiations (telephonic, and other electronic comms). When was the last time YOU lost your civil rights by having YOUR comms monitored? You and your ilk just don't get it. we are at WAR hough we didn't declare it.

jack
jack 07/21/08 - 09:11 am
Casin/Sydiot, I believe it is

Casin/Sydiot, I believe it is COngress and not your favorite punching bag Bush, who has to do what is necessary (funding, etc) to legilate a gust worker program. Seems your leftist DIMs are more interested in holding hearings (political (inquistions of Bush admin types) to try and smear Bush than in addressing the critical issues of the day-energy, securing our borders, housing crisis, guest worker program and deportation of illegals.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 07/21/08 - 09:17 am
I am proud to say that I

I am proud to say that I voted for George Bush as president twice. I still feel very strongly that he was the right man at the time. Had his presidency ended after one term because of his handling of events surround 9-11 he may have gone down in history as one of America's favorites. His second term has been less popular. I still support the war in Iraq and with the surge in troops great things have happened. But there have been many issues that I have disagreed with . IMHO not closing our borders, rampant spending are just a couple. However, some folks here seem to live for the opportunity to criticise our president. Whatever happened to loyalty, pride in our country, solidarity???? We really don't need to be attacked from afar. Our citizenry is doing a great job of that. Speak with your vote first. I wonder how many here voted in the last elections in July. In my county it was only about 10%. I believe in Columbia County it was only 30% and may have been even lower for Richmond County.

sjgraci
sjgraci 07/21/08 - 09:33 am
Were the Anthrax attacks on

Were the Anthrax attacks on American soil before or after 9/11?

crackertroy
crackertroy 07/21/08 - 09:41 am
ditto I4PUTT, those like

ditto I4PUTT, those like justus4 et al can only make vague generalizations about why they hate Bush. "Bush has ripped the Constitution into pieces, used it as TP and handed it to the Congress." I doubt such criticizers can list specifics to support their assertions. It's a fad to hate Bush. My theory is that such criticizers are not happy about something (maybe even something personal) and it's just convenient to blame Bush. They might as well be blaming you and me and John Doe for all their problems, we voted for him.

imdstuf
imdstuf 07/21/08 - 10:24 am
Crackertoy and I4PUTT....what

Crackertoy and I4PUTT....what has Bush done to make this country better? To quote conservative's favorite president, "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" The answer for the majority of Americans is a sound NO!

cominginonthenighttrain
cominginonthenighttrain 07/21/08 - 11:52 am
imdstuf, I am, I am also

imdstuf, I am, I am also better off than I was 8 yrs ago. ditto to putt and cracker.

cominginonthenighttrain
cominginonthenighttrain 07/21/08 - 11:53 am
sigraci, what anthrax

sigraci, what anthrax attacks?

cominginonthenighttrain
cominginonthenighttrain 07/21/08 - 11:54 am
gacopperhead, do you know

gacopperhead, do you know what unwarranted means? You appear to think it is without a "paper" warrant. It actually means for "no reason."

ITDoc
ITDoc 07/21/08 - 12:12 pm
I am much better off than 8

I am much better off than 8 yrs ago. Not due to Bush or anything other than the Grace of God and the work ethic my parentS gifted to me. Should Obama become pres, I'll still be better off in 4 yrs because I have a plan and will work my plan. Those who rely on others for success have become the majority. If you didn't have the internet or the countless news channels, you'd vote for the person who would improve YOUR life most and not give a damn about Iraq, Gitmo, etc etc. Life in the USA must be pretty damn good if all these folks have nothing more pressing in life than to complain about the USA. BTW, my surgery was successful, thank God for my GREAT HEALTH INSURANCE that I have to BUY for myself.

jack
jack 07/21/08 - 01:35 pm
Sigraci, I don't remember whn

Sigraci, I don't remember whn the anthrax attacks occured, but the government doesn't know to this day WHO the attacker was-AQ or just some crack pot. I guess it was BJ Clton's fault for the Oklahoma City bombing in that he was in office at the time.

jack
jack 07/21/08 - 01:38 pm
Crackertroy, you are right

Crackertroy, you are right about the Bush haters. Ask for sepcifics and you never get any. According to them, Bush caused Katrina because he didn't like blacks. You can't reason with such a narrow minded, ignorant mentality as Justus4, Younce et al.

jack
jack 07/21/08 - 01:41 pm
imdstuff, I doubt you speak

imdstuff, I doubt you speak for most Americans, certainly not me. I am e pluribus unum who ARE better off today than 8 years ago, certainly 7 years ago as we have not had to endure anothr 9/11 because of Bush and the Patriot Act you libs whine about being "unconstitutional" as if you were a constitutional lawyer (and not even college educated).

jack
jack 07/21/08 - 01:44 pm
Tall2, glad your surgery went

Tall2, glad your surgery went well. Our fantastic health care system gave me a new heart valve a couple of years ago and my insurance (Medicare and TriCare) paid for it as I paid for and earned both.

mojo
mojo 07/21/08 - 02:38 pm
This editorial reaches a

This editorial reaches a little far...the reason for poor border control is cost - plain and simple - no one wants to spend the billions required to actually secure our pourous borders. The Chronicle's editorial staff seems to have overlooked this fact for another bush bashing session - not that this isn't a popular passtime but shouldn't some minimum level of accountability be placed on the editorial's author?

ITDoc
ITDoc 07/21/08 - 03:29 pm
ty Jack. Sometimes I've had

ty Jack. Sometimes I've had to sacrifice to continue my insurance (back while young). Today, I reap the benefit of that sacrifice :-)