Richmond County results

Back | Next
Barrow  File/Staff
File/Staff
Barrow

John Barrow

76.1%

(300 of 333 precincts reporting)

Regina D. Thomas.....23.9%

U.S. Rep. John Barrow will vie for a third term in November.

Since taking office in 2004, Mr. Barrow, of Savannah, has cast himself as a conservative Democrat who often sides with Republicans on issues such as the Iraq war and President Bush's signature tax cuts.

He scored a big endorsement from presumed Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

- Staff, wire reports

District 12 Republican race

WINNER:

John Stone

59.9 %

(300 of 333 precincts reporting)

Ben Crystal.....11.4%

Ray McKinney.....28.7%

John Stone, a former congressional aide, won without a runoff, despite not living inside the district.

Mr. Stone, a former radio news anchorman, spent most of the past 13 years working in Washington, where he was an aide to the late U.S. Rep. Charlie Norwood and U.S. Rep. Max Burns.

Mr. Stone is the father of six daughters and lives on Walton Way.

- From staff reports

GEORGIA HOUSE

District 123 Democratic race

WINNER:

Gloria Frazier

76%

(28 of 29 precincts reporting)

A.K. Hasan.....24%

State Rep. Gloria Frazier will retain her District 123 seat after defeating A.K. Hasan by close to 2,000 votes.

Mrs. Frazier won the district, which includes south Richmond County and most of Burke County, because of what got her the seat the first time, she said.

"My compassion, integrity and my commitment to working hard for the people," she said. "I definitely know now that people believe in what I'm doing in Atlanta."

Her opponent said he was thankful for the support he received, despite his loss Tuesday night.

"I focused on the business that was at hand, but I came up short," Mr. Hasan said.

Mrs. Frazier said running this campaign against an opponent gave her more appreciation for her seat.

"This was very, very exciting to have the opportunity to run this race," she said.

"I will continue to work for education and the seniors in my district."

- Stephanie Toone

FUTURE ELECTIONS

Aug. 5: Primary runoff

Sept. 16: Special election

Nov. 4: General election

Dec. 2: General runoff

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 07/16/08 - 03:02 am
Yeah! Gloria Frazier beat

Yeah! Gloria Frazier beat Hasan! Great! For the People!

TheTruth
TheTruth 07/16/08 - 06:30 am
A resounding no for Marion

A resounding no for Marion Williams. Maybe there is hope for Augusta after all.

lezniack01
lezniack01 07/16/08 - 07:05 am
AK Hasan lives near me and I

AK Hasan lives near me and I speak with him often in the home of my friend. He is a nice man who really wanted to do well for our community. Not to say that he is any better for the job than another,because i really dont know. But he is a good person with values and I hope people dont trash him as a person.

lezniack01
lezniack01 07/16/08 - 07:06 am
AK Hasan lives near me and I

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 07/16/08 - 07:52 am
A.K. days in politics are

A.K. days in politics are OVER, what he did to Dr. Larke will always HUNT him, I for one will never vote for him again.

karmakills123
karmakills123 07/16/08 - 09:51 am
Why fruit?..Because he is

Why fruit?..Because he is ABOVE the mentality that will repeatedly put known criminals and do nothings in positions of responsibility? S..L...OOOOOO..Wly the black race is rising above that really destructive way of thinking and voting.....your not one of them.........

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/16/08 - 10:15 am
I hope A.K. Hasan runs for

I hope A.K. Hasan runs for something else. I think he is an asset to this community and we should support him. I hope Ms. Frazier appreciates the second chance she has been given to do something for Augusta. Either she didn't do anything before, or nobody bothered to report it. I didn't even know she was in office.

jack
jack 07/16/08 - 11:28 am
jackfruitpaper-you ARE a

jackfruitpaper-you ARE a fruitcake. Frzier needs now to quit her job at the RCBOE.

peace4all
peace4all 07/22/08 - 01:56 pm
How about You quit your job.

How about You quit your job. If everybody would tend to their own business the world would be a better place. You must Be a JACK. Do you honestly think a political official can live off of their pay in small districts.....Go get a calculator. Just because Frazier wasnt on TV with Hasan and his brother clearly means she must have been out in the community.Hasan should have been practicing what he was preaching. Frazier was in my neighborhood regularly, never saw Hasan until July 15th at the poll area