Kendrick, Boyles to meet again

The only tax professional in the race for Richmond County tax commissioner won't be in the runoff, according to preliminary results from Tuesday's primary election.

Back | Next
<b>RUNOFF: </b><br> Tommy  Boyles<br> <b>33.02% </b><br> (74 of 75 precincts reporting)  Special
Special
RUNOFF:
Tommy Boyles
33.02%
(74 of 75 precincts reporting)

Instead, businessman Steven Kendrick and retired city employee Tommy Boyles will vie for the position in the Democratic primary. No Republican filed to run.

With all but the provisional ballots counted, Mr. Kendrick clung to a 716-vote lead over Mr. Boyles late Tuesday.

Neither candidate, however, had more than 50 percent of the vote, throwing the race into a runoff.

"I think that people noticed my background and record," Mr. Kendrick said.

He cited his experience as vice president of Augusta Blueprint and his work in the community, including his chairmanship of the Downtown Development Authority and his work with Richmond County Youth Leadership.

Mr. Boyles, 63, is retired as director of the Augusta Recreation and Parks Department, where he oversaw a $4 million budget and 300 employees. He was the only candidate with political experience in the race, having served as an Augusta commissioner.

"We made the runoff, which is better than I thought I would do against two good candidates," he said.

Mr. Boyles said his decision to run as a Democrat might have hurt him. Many friends and supporters weren't able to cast a vote for him because they voted Republican, he said.

Failing to make the Aug. 5 runoff was Sanford Loyd, a 53-year-old certified public accountant and owner of Sanford Loyd, CPA, PC.

Reach Greg Gelpi at (706) 828-3851 or greg.gelpi@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/08 - 06:59 am
Local politics is always

Local politics is always about name recognition. ("all politics is local") Kendricks and Boyle are good people for the job. Augusta will win with either candidate.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 07/16/08 - 07:15 am
What really hurt Tommy Boyles

What really hurt Tommy Boyles is if you voted in Tuesday race--you had to go Democrat or Republician and a lot of people did not want to declare one over the other. Like us in my household, we prefer to vote for the person who we believe will be best for the job. I certainly hop everyone will take Tommys' experience in consideration-he did a great job for the City-County Recreation Dept through the years.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

jgdarling
jgdarling 07/16/08 - 07:28 am
Name recognition wins over

Name recognition wins over talent recognition.

JimiBob
JimiBob 07/16/08 - 12:08 pm
This is so crazy. Sanford

This is so crazy. Sanford loyd is the only man with the knowledge of taxes.

BuckeyeInGA
BuckeyeInGA 07/16/08 - 01:32 pm
Did you notice Tommy Boyles'

Did you notice Tommy Boyles' remark above : "We made the runoff, which is better than I thought I would do against two good candidates." What is Tommy really saying here? That he is suprised that he is still in the running? Only a politician speaks like that. I am voting for Steven Kendrick, a man that knows he is going to win! Kendrick is a professional business manager, not some local politician wanting more time to eat and drink at the government trough.

pav2003
pav2003 07/16/08 - 02:34 pm
I am convinced that Steven

I am convinced that Steven Kendrick is a "non-stop" hard working, competent, and caring individual with very impressive credentials.... He will certainly get my vote (again), in August.

jonesni
jonesni 07/16/08 - 03:51 pm
I have believe that Steven

I have believe that Steven Kendrick is the best person for this position. He has the heart of a good and loyal politician.

kwl
kwl 07/16/08 - 04:27 pm
I'm sorry I couldn't vote for

I'm sorry I couldn't vote for the person I wanted, beacuse of the party denomation. I hope I can vote for Tommy Boyles in the runoff. He wokred hard in the past for out neighborhood. He has good sense and a good heart.

kwl
kwl 07/16/08 - 04:27 pm
I'm sorry I couldn't vote for

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...