A heartwarming comeback

A Holocaust survivor once wrote that one of the things that got him through the hopeless, horrifying ordeal was to imagine himself years later in a warm room lecturing about his experiences to a rapt and appreciative audience.

Josh Hamilton had a similar dream a few years ago in his drug-induced darkest days -- that he would someday be the center of attention in Yankee Stadium.

Monday night it came true, as the addict-turned-superstar mesmerized the baseball world with an unparalleled show of power in the annual pre-All-Star-game home run derby: 28 home runs in the first round alone, eclipsing the former record of 24. At one point, he had 13 home runs on 13 swings.

What an incredible shining moment for the young Texas Ranger who had natural talent and Hall of Fame promise when he was drafted in 1999 by Tampa Bay but who nearly killed himself with drugs.

Today, his chills come from excitement and achievement, not from withdrawal. And he says baseball is merely the delivery vehicle for his message of responsibility and redemption.

"The Josh Hamilton story is so compelling, so powerful, it restores all faith in the ability of people to turn their lives around," wrote the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo.

Makes you realize that it wasn't Hamilton's power on display Monday night so much as God's.

justus4
justus4 07/16/08 - 05:52 am
Why wasn't this guy

Why wasn't this guy introduced to law enforcement and given a fifteen or twenty year sentence for illegal drug use? How was he able to avoid the strict drug mandatory sentences, which has produced the largest prison population in the world. How did he escape being labeled a "user' and given his walking papers? Wow! How was he able to navigate such a diabolical and racially biased system unscathed? In this case, it appears that selective enforcement was being employed and only further demonstrates that two Americas exist.

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/16/08 - 06:16 am
NO it proves all your logic

NO it proves all your logic is fallacious! It appears in this case it is selective disuse of the brain.

christian134
christian134 07/16/08 - 06:45 am
Justus instead of reading and

Justus instead of reading and applauding this man's turn around proves you only care that this young man is not black. For in your little world only the black man is deserving of everything on a gold platter..Give it as rest as it is one song and dance that is so old that is has putrefied and decayed...Why not try for less handouts and more work, and less belly-aching? It would be like a breathe of fresh air don't you think?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/08 - 07:46 am
Josh Hamilton says you're

Josh Hamilton says you're still dead wrong justus4. Congratulations on batting 1.000

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/16/08 - 08:26 am
Whenever you want a

Whenever you want a 1st-Class, one-way ticket to Africa, just lemme know Justus.

yak11
yak11 07/16/08 - 08:59 am
LOL...poor Justus, don't you

LOL...poor Justus, don't you see he is angry because this guy showed you can BEAT drugs..you don't HAVE to be a permenant victim and suck off the FREE MONEY teat for life. I gotta feel for Justus because it means that any excuse from his side of the line is just PUPFKHA

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 07/16/08 - 09:47 am
justus...as a black man I

justus...as a black man I would think you would support selective enforcement. Without it the NBA would disappear tomorrow. The rap music industry couldn't survive. Boxing....I think you get the point. Thugs will not support your criticism of this practice.

christian134
christian134 07/16/08 - 10:08 am
eel talk on and on

eel talk on and on friend...one day you will call on the name of God for help and here and now let me say I hope it will not be too late for you...A man or woman's mortality has a way of bringing one to their knees when faced with the certainty of death...Think long and hard on that for awhile before you so lightly dismiss God....

christian134
christian134 07/16/08 - 10:43 am
I am in a special club of

I am in a special club of sorts eel; a club that has its doors open to any and everyone, not subject to man's laws but to God's rules. I don't know you but I do not wish you or anyone else for that matter to die without knowing God and Jesus Christ...Insult is a matter of allowing another persons comment ruin my day, you friend are not capable of that...

jack
jack 07/16/08 - 11:55 am
EEL, there is no joke larger

EEL, there is no joke larger than you. Some jokes are pretty pitiful.

Signal Always
Signal Always 07/16/08 - 01:20 pm
Damn Chronicle, you deleted

Damn Chronicle, you deleted my comment to Justus and my offer to give him a one-way, first-class ticket to Africa? There was a point to it. He's ALWAYS complaining about the United States, white people, how he's soooo downtrodden by "whitey", etc. My point was, if he doesn't like it here, LEAVE. I'll even front the bill. Want me to change it to a ticket to England? Would that suffice? Would they be better for someone's "feeewings"? Clean the sand out of your vaginas Chronicle. There was not one thing racist about my comment. Again, I don't see race, I see ideology.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/08 - 05:32 pm
eel, great point. You're

eel, great point. You're smarter then God and God is more insignificant then you. I think we all understand where you're coming from. Some of us just disagree.

Arraignment coming Tuesday in Irish Travelers case
A total of 22 people - 20 identified as Travelers and two from Augusta - face racketeering charges under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.