Vote today -- or not!

This is where we're supposed to urge everyone to vote today. But frankly, it doesn't seem to work -- and perhaps the arguments are tired and repetitive.

Staff
Staff

So this time, we're not asking everyone to vote today.

In fact, if you don't care, don't want to care, don't want to be a part of this whole thing, we encourage you to sit this one out. Let the rest of us decide who will represent us.

Today, we're asking only those citizens who truly care to get out and vote. The rest of you can just trust us to know what we're doing, and will have to live with the results.

If you do care enough to vote, but are unsure of whom to vote for, we've got some recommendations for you in three selected races:

- Barry Fleming for 10th District Congress.

Mr. Fleming has been an exemplary member of the Georgia General Assembly, where he rocketed to the No. 2 position in the House of Representatives. He has the acumen and people skills to rise in Congress as well, and would be very much like the late, beloved Congressman Charlie Norwood, whose seat he would occupy.

- Sanford Loyd for Richmond County tax commissioner.

This is a three-person field, and all three candidates are fine. But as we've said before, there's just something special about Sanford Loyd, a longtime certified public accountant on Broad Street and a well-respected civic activist and member of the Downtown Development Authority.

- A.K. Hasan for state House District 123.

Hasan has distinguished himself as a man of action, and would help turn the local Do-Nothing Delegation into an action-oriented group. Hasan is liked and respected by all political persuasions, and could help Augusta regain the political clout it once held in Atlanta.

Those who care about good government have those and other great candidates to vote for today.

If you're one of those, we urge you to get out and vote.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 07/15/08 - 03:00 am
Oh goodie. I get to vote!

Oh goodie. I get to vote!

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/15/08 - 03:13 am
I got up early to 'crossover'

I got up early to 'crossover' vote in the State Senate Democratic Primary :-)

rbk
rbk 07/15/08 - 04:44 am
If Barry Fleming did so well

If Barry Fleming did so well in the GA assembly, he should have stayed there instead of resigning to run for US congress. Jim Whitehead resigned his GA Senate seat to run for US congress and was defeated by Paul Broun. I was sorry to lose Charlie Norwood in the 10th district, but am well pleased with Mr. Broun as his replacement. I am sick and tired of Barry Flemings negative campaign with his slick lawyerly twisting of the facts into lies about Mr. Broun and his voting record. We don't need slick lawyers representing us, we need down to earth people.

bluerover
bluerover 07/15/08 - 06:19 am
I am the smartest man in the

I am the smartest man in the world. Contact me at bluerover711@comcast.net and I will give you one hundred reasons to vote.

edst4
edst4 07/15/08 - 07:24 am
bluerover not a good thing to

bluerover not a good thing to post your email address on a public website. That will open spam and your email address being spoofed.

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/15/08 - 07:31 am
edst4 are you saying he is

edst4 are you saying he is not the smartest man in the world Hee,hee,ee.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 07/15/08 - 07:48 am
I think this article has some

I think this article has some valid points. I don't think everyone should be allowed to vote. Some folks just vote. They give it no meaningful thought beforehand. They show up, grab a stylys and punch holes with no research about the canidates or the issues. Some gain more political info from the Rants & Raves than anywhere else. Many of these people post here daily.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/15/08 - 07:51 am
what's a bluer? over

what's a bluer? over

fd1962
fd1962 07/15/08 - 08:02 am
Wonder if Morris Comm. is

Wonder if Morris Comm. is supporting Fleming in their Athens newspaper today too? Did they learn their lesson?

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 07/15/08 - 08:03 am
They did not suggest Tarver

They did not suggest Tarver because they know that it would hurt his vote. Can't afford to lose two lawyers today.

dashiel
dashiel 07/15/08 - 08:52 am
Reason to vote: Politicians

Reason to vote: Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reasons.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/08 - 08:52 am
Don't forget Operation CS

Don't forget Operation CS (common sense). If you are one of the tiny fraction of Republicans in State Senate District 22, ask for a Democratic ballot and vote for Marion Williams. It may bring a surprise in November.

DMac_357
DMac_357 07/15/08 - 08:52 am
rbk, how much of Paul Broun's

rbk, how much of Paul Broun's voting record have you seen? what is it about his voting record that you like so much? I get an email on his votes and all he does is vote straight party line which only helps a few and not the majority. I've written him a few times and was surprised that one of his reps emailed me back. The rep couldn't answer any questions that I had nor did I receive more than that one email but I do give him credit the appearance of trying.

WW1949
WW1949 07/15/08 - 09:39 am
don't complain if you do not

don't complain if you do not vote.

rufus
rufus 07/15/08 - 09:41 am
Bluer are balls

Bluer are balls

LittleLady
LittleLady 07/15/08 - 10:04 am
I voted for Paul Broun this

I voted for Paul Broun this morning. He is a good man who respects the U.S. Constitution. I like to see more representatives who have the reverence that Paul Broun does. Would do good for this country.

LittleLady
LittleLady 07/15/08 - 10:07 am
I guess I need to change my

I guess I need to change my display name. Too close to Little Lamb. Little Lamb and I seem to hold similar political philasophy as well.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 07/15/08 - 10:24 am
My endorsements: Josh Lanier

My endorsements:

Josh Lanier US Senate in GA
Gloria Frazier: GA House 123
Marion Williams: GA Senate 22
Regina Thomas: US House GA-12

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 07/15/08 - 10:26 am
Those are my recommendations

Those are my recommendations for my friends on the other side of the Savannah

hoser123
hoser123 07/15/08 - 10:42 am
Tarver voted AGAINST HB 89, I

Tarver voted AGAINST HB 89, I will never vote for him again.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/15/08 - 11:06 am
hoser123: If you are a

hoser123: If you are a Democrat, then your only alternative is Marion Williams. Would you rather have HIM in the State Senate?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/08 - 11:14 am
Well, LittleLady, even if

Well, LittleLady, even if they get us confused and call both of us LL, we can both enjoy our handles.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 07/15/08 - 11:25 am
Williston....You said enough

Williston....You said enough about yourself when you said Marion Williams...Good Grief!

gnx
gnx 07/15/08 - 12:42 pm
With everything going on in

With everything going on in my busy life requiring attention I feel so lucky the Chronicle tells me how to vote. Don't y'all? It's mighty nice of them to take the burden of decision off my back. ~gag, cough, sputter~

LittleLady
LittleLady 07/15/08 - 01:28 pm
Thank you, LL. I will leave

Thank you, LL. I will leave it as is for now, but please let me know when it gets out control. You have been on the board much longer than I have. LL

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 07/15/08 - 01:56 pm
Do not believe that Marion is

Do not believe that Marion is the big bad wolf just because you think you know what you know. You don't know Ed Tarver well either. If being endorsed by the Georgia Right to Life PAC carries any weight with you then you must vote for Marion Williams. Why? Because Ed Tarver voted against the bill that required an ultrasound to be performed before an abortion. Ed is the big bad wolf in sheeps clothing.

motivatedinhepzibah
motivatedinhepzibah 07/15/08 - 02:16 pm
Its funny that all those

Its funny that all those people wanted charles walker gone. Now that he is gone nobody in atlanta politics respects augusta anymore. Whether you liked walker or not he got a lot of pork and projects to come to augusta. He was well respected in atlanta by everyone. Augusta doesn't have the same clout in atlanta like it once did. We need to get that back.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/15/08 - 02:24 pm
I want our legislators to END

I want our legislators to END pork, not create more of it. I want the number of state projects to go DOWN, not up. Your idea of CLOUT is not what Augusta needs. We need more freedom and lower taxes.

justthefacts
21949
justthefacts 07/15/08 - 03:07 pm
Ha, that was pretty funny

Ha, that was pretty funny motivated. You were kidding...were you not?

Michael Ryan
Michael Ryan 07/15/08 - 03:09 pm
First, Debra -- you made me

First, Debra -- you made me laugh out loud. Glad you realized you're in the get-to-vote category.
Second, it was sheer oversight that we didn't include Ed Tarver in our endorsement roundup. We wouldn't have endorsed him if we were the least bit shy about it. My bad.
Thanks to all you you read and post your thoughts.
Michael Ryan