Mother will enter insanity plea

The Augusta woman accused of fatally stabbing her two small children last year in a convenience store restroom will present an insanity defense.

Jeannette Hawes' trial for next week was put off after a mental exam was released.  Special
Special

Jeannette Hawes' attorney filed a formal notice of defense this week to raise the issue of insanity, mental illness or metal retardation.

Last week, Barry Middleton of the public defender's office said Ms. Hawes, 22, was incapable of understanding what she was doing Nov. 28.

She had been scheduled to stand trial next week, but the mental examination report released to attorneys this week led to a postponement.

Ms. Hawes faces charges of murder and weapon violations and is accused of stabbing to death her 1-year-old son, Jordan, and 3-year-old daughter, Shakayla, in the restroom of a Lumpkin Road convenience store.

Public Defender Sam B. Sibley Jr. said Thursday he believes Ms. Hawes' case will resolve itself without a trial.

In the days leading up the children's deaths, family and neighbors described Ms. Hawes as acting stressed and depressed.

The day before the children's deaths, Ms. Hawes' sister called the sheriff's department for help when she couldn't find Ms. Hawes or her children. That case was closed when an officer found Ms. Hawes at her Lumpkin Road apartment.

According to court documents, the circumstances of the case raised concerns about Ms. Hawes' capacity to understand the difference between right and wrong at the time her children were killed.

If Ms. Hawes is found not guilty by reason of insanity, she would be committed to a mental institution for treatment.

If the medical staff later determined she was not a danger to herself or others, the judge who presided over her case would decide if she could be released and, if so, under what conditions.

Ms. Hawes was no stranger to violence. When she was 10, authorities said, she witnessed her 14-year-old sister's death. Nicole Hawes was killed on Nov. 18, 1995, by a stray bullet during a drive-by shooting in Underwood Homes.

THE AUGUSTA CHRONICLE BROKE THIS STORY ON ITS WEB SITE AT 7:28 P.M. THURSDAY.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 07/11/08 - 01:17 am
Those who have come to be

Those who have come to be called "underprivileged" are a result of poor planning, bad breading and a lack of the use of contraception. If one is born into abject poverty in America it is reasonable to conclude that it will take a generation to pass down a dwelling to ones progeny. The urban poor expect to have a middle class existence without having saved for it. Deferred gratification is key to passing on wealth in any civilized nation. If I were president of this country it would be mandatory for these words would be tabooed to the buttock of every inmate in the USA.

There are dozens of cities across America, which are much like Augusta where single welfare mothers are busy squeezing out infants who will continue the ugly cycle. The madness needs to stop because we are all paying the high cost of crime, incarceration and the status quo. By the time those of us who are now in our thirties reach our serenities, geriatric throat splitting will keep us from going outside of our homes.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 07/11/08 - 01:17 am
Those who have come to be

Reality
Reality 07/11/08 - 03:10 am
I am sure she is not right in

I am sure she is not right in the head, who in their right mind would kill their children. I don't think it is a defence, she knew how to produce these kids just not care for them, we would have been supporting her in or out of jail......I am glad we are paying to defend her and to prosecute her....The working tax payer gets it coming and going.

christian134
christian134 07/11/08 - 05:59 am
I firmly believe this person,

I firmly believe this person, and I use that term loosely, knew the difference between right and wrong and therefore should be held accountable for her heinous actions...Just because you are poor doesn't give you the right or excuse to brutally murder your children...Nothing gives you the right to commit such an act as evil as that...

peonynut
peonynut 07/11/08 - 06:51 am
What breading should she have

What breading should she have used; Italian or pecans? I know a hundred people who are depressed and stressed, that doesn't mean they can murder with impunity.

rufus
rufus 07/11/08 - 06:53 am
Give her the death penalty.

Give her the death penalty. There is no fixing what is wrong with her

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/11/08 - 06:53 am
I think this person was

I think this person was mentally ill when she did this and possibly had post partum. I for one can testify to the crazy things and thoughts post partum can make you feel. I never acted on them, because I am not mentally ill. But a week depressed person can easily fall victim. It takes a strong person to recognize that something is wrong with their thought process, when they are going through post partum. It's amazing what hormones can do to you, it took me almost a year to figure it out.

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 07/11/08 - 06:56 am
hmmm... i wonder why they

hmmm... i wonder why they went from the prvious not so pretty picture of her, to using one of her modeling pics?

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/11/08 - 06:56 am
But I agree that people

But I agree that people should think about the future their children will face before having them. And they should be prepared before giving parenting a try. And she was just too young for children. Mothers lead by example, underwood is not where I would want to raise my children.

apocoilipsenow
apocoilipsenow 07/11/08 - 07:12 am
Didn't understand what she

Didn't understand what she was doing my azz. This gal needs to fry, period!!!

sliique
sliique 07/11/08 - 07:16 am
Judge not, lest ye be

Judge not, lest ye be judged!

And, it is breeding, NOT "breading."

apocoilipsenow
apocoilipsenow 07/11/08 - 07:21 am
Yeah, what is up with the

Yeah, what is up with the picture. Shouldn't that be her mug shot???? Wwhat's up ac, trying to make us feel sorry for her or something. Needle is too easy, slit her wrist for a slow bleed out.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 07/11/08 - 07:21 am
I did not know that mental

I did not know that mental health was based on ones social standing Sgt.MID. Believe it or not poor people can have legitimate mental issues.

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/08 - 07:28 am
Jeannette has had mental

Jeannette has had mental issues every since she witnessed the murder of her sister. This was well known within the family. She should be held accountable for her actions, but just like any other defendant in this country, she should be afforded the best possible defense.

UncleBill
UncleBill 07/11/08 - 07:33 am
Mental health issues are a

Mental health issues are a significant reason for poverty. In addition to poor parenting, being mentally deficient keeps many people in poverty. Unfortunately it does not stop them from having children.

christian134
christian134 07/11/08 - 07:35 am
intheknow that song and dance

intheknow that song and dance of how upset she has been since she witnessed her sister's murder still doesn't come close to a plausible excuse for murdering the babies...Who was there to protect those babies?

apocoilipsenow
apocoilipsenow 07/11/08 - 07:47 am
intheknow, she will get the

intheknow, she will get the best possible defense we taxpayers can buy, as for the mental issues---bullshieet!

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 07/11/08 - 07:55 am
Bull [filtered word] like this kills me.

Bull [filtered word] like this kills me. I don't understand why everyone that kills claims to have some type of mental problem. It appears to me that anyone with serious mental issues would kill not only others but take their own life as well. This is why the justice system is so screwed up. A person who really needs a good defense is never granted one, but a idot like "Ms. Hawes" will be back on the streets in a few more years having more babies and I guess she will kill them as well. There is no excuse for the crime she has committed. I don't give a damn if she was depressed or not. If she didn't want her children, why didn't she give them up to the state or abandon them? Atleast the children would have had their lives.

ripjones
ripjones 07/11/08 - 08:09 am
Cut Sarge a break -- sleepy

Cut Sarge a break -- sleepy fingers don't work completely perfect. But I agree pretty much with most of what he said. When the crime happened, anyone with half a brain, knew she would throw down the "mental" card. And lastly, we have another single, unwed woman, who could not figure out how birth control drugs work.

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/08 - 08:10 am
Well it is strange that I

Well it is strange that I recalled that this lady that killed her husband that was a Doctor, was able to show that abuse and mental illness played part. Well Christian if you think that there are no real mental illness, then I say let the laws be taken off of the books. I believe that smarter people than you are or I will decide if there is a mental problem there. You of all people should be more open minded. I have read repeatedly how you stated that you were the subject of abuse and how it affected you. If you do not think that seeing someone you loved murdered in front of you will not have an effect on you, then I do not know what to say. I will deferr to the experts.

dani
dani 07/11/08 - 08:17 am
Now that that is decided, if

Now that that is decided, if she is found to be insane will she be sent to an insane asylum until her sanity returns? Just wondering...
Where is the sympathy for the poor dead childreN?

apocoilipsenow
apocoilipsenow 07/11/08 - 08:25 am
insainity defense--it's

insainity defense--it's called liberal lawyers and judges. There is no such thing.

taha
taha 07/11/08 - 08:28 am
I can only imagine how seeing

I can only imagine how seeing your sister, or any loved one for that matter, killed in front of you would affect you. Add that will depression, post partum depression, anxiety, and whatever else you want to add, and that still doesn't give cause for someone to get away with killing (horrifically I might add) your children. Please talk abt post partum, and Andrea Yates, and etc...those are exceptions. MILLIONS of people have these issues every day and don't kill their children. It's something that is inherantly inside you NOT to do. As long as we give these people a free ride, and let them off the hook, it will continue. Maybe SHE didn't know what she was doing (whatever)...but I bet those kids knew when they were being stabbed to death...in a convenience store bathroom none the less!! I'm sure she needs mental help, but she doesn't deserve to go to an institution for a few years, stay medicated, all while WE pay for it, and then be out to have more children and live her life as if this was all a bad dream. What would keep her from doing this again? NOTHING...Believe me, I have been in the mental hospital, I played pool all day and made paper mache' and picture frames...

rufus
rufus 07/11/08 - 08:37 am
Mommy, why do you have that

Mommy, why do you have that knife? FRY HER

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/08 - 08:41 am
There is such a thing called

There is such a thing called guilty but mentally ill. Not one that I know of thinks that she should not be held accountable for her actions. Should she be found either guilty or guilty but mentally ill, imho she will need a life time of treatment. I have know this family since Jeannette was born and I held those two children plenty of times, so believe me I do not need to be reminded of how precious there were. When these things happen we all want someone to pay for this, but hopefully we also want justice tempered with mercy if called for.

apocoilipsenow
apocoilipsenow 07/11/08 - 08:45 am
intheknow, there is a law,

intheknow, there is a law, being a law doesnt make it right. why do none of these people using the mental or insanity defense, ever kill themselves. They are not that insane or mentally ill are they?????? Give it a break, no such thing!

HippieChick
HippieChick 07/11/08 - 08:48 am
I hope they use the news

I hope they use the news interview tape of her talking about what a horrible thing it was for her little brother to see his pit bull stab by someone out walking their dog when the dogs began to fight. That took place just a short time before she did the same thing to her babies.... Regardless of how horrible it was to see her sister die what she did to her children was by far worse then anything I can imagine.

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/08 - 08:51 am
Again, then the laws should

Again, then the laws should be changed. Given your rationale no one should ever be allowed to use that defense, because if they were truly mentally ill, they would have killed themselves. Again I do not need anyone to tell me how horrible it was, I know first hand what they endured.

oops
oops 07/11/08 - 08:55 am
Susan Smith and the lady that

Susan Smith and the lady that murdered her 5 kids in Texas were not put to death, why are some of you requesting death for this young lady.Not saying what she did was right, she had to be
under some type of stress.

apocoilipsenow
apocoilipsenow 07/11/08 - 08:55 am
You are beginning to see the

You are beginning to see the light there intheknow. Your 1st and 2nd sentences are correct.