Diversity or indoctrination?

Authorities in one Scottish region sent out a post card to local residents that Muslims in the area found offensive.

What, do you suppose, could that image have been? A cartoon of Muhammad? A Quran being mishandled?

Nope. A puppy.

Tayside, Scotland, officials were sending out post cards to advise residents of a new non-emergency number for the police department. They thought a cute, attention-getting device would be a picture of Rebel, a 6-week-old German shepherd police dog-to-be.

Wrong. Muslims in the area were outraged that the post card featured a photo of a dog, which they regard as "ritually unclean."

Meanwhile, authorities in Atlanta say a Muslim man there killed his daughter over the weekend because her plans for ending her arranged marriage might have brought dishonor to the family.

Like murder wouldn't?

Interesting: We're supposed to put up with "honor killings" of innocent women, but we can't send out pictures of a puppy for fear of offending someone?

Westerners are expected to respect the culture when traveling to Muslim countries - such as having women wear head coverings. When is Western culture going to be respected in turn?

We happen to love dogs. Dogs give love unconditionally - something that God seems to command us to do. Dogs just happen to do it better than we humans do.

That dog in Scotland is a more humane being than a man who kills his own daughter.

Western culture doesn't believe murdering a female gives honor to anybody. Respect that.

These are not trivial considerations. It's about the freedom to be who you are. If anything defines Western civilization, it's that.

With huge migrations today and increasing globalization, countries will have more and more difficulty maintaining their unique cultures. Muhammed is already one of the most popular names for baby boys in England today.

And consider: Two schoolboys in England were reportedly given detention recently when they refused to get on their knees and worship Allah as part of a class demonstration on Islam.

"But if Muslims were asked to go to church on Sunday and take Holy Communion, there would be war," one of the boy's relatives said.

Diversity is one thing. Indoctrination is quite another.

This country is the greatest on Earth, in large part because we absorb and celebrate many cultures at once under the red-white-and-blue tent. But that's possible only if we don't try to impose other cultures on each other. And if our culture is respected.

If we want to put dogs on postcards, we'll do it.

wildman
wildman 07/08/08 - 04:08 am
The Muslim indoctrination has

The Muslim indoctrination has gone way to far. I don't care who or what you worship, but don't force your beliefs on me. I'm sick and tired of the politically correct crap.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/08/08 - 05:58 am
I learned several years ago

I learned several years ago that Muslims consider dogs unclean. Why shouldn't public officials be aware and sensitive to cultural differences? I don't wish my Jewish friends "Merry Christmas!". I wish them "Happy Hanukkah!" I don't send Jewish friends pictures of BBQ on 4th of July cards. I remember when Christians got upset with a cross being placed in a bottle of urine as an art exhibit. If the Scottish authorities had sent out pictures of a kitten on those cards there would have been no protest. Respect for "host culture"? Aren't Muslims citizens of Britain just like everybody else? And for The Chronicle to try to continually slam Islam for "honor killings" when this horrible practice is endemic in the Middle East - including among the Yazidi sect in Iraq as well as among our Kurdish allies - smacks of yellow journalism. Remember Zorba The Greek? Honor killings have happened among Orthodox Catholics in Greece and among Roman Catholics in Sicily. Is that an indictment of all Christians? No. The Chronicle is all about stirring up hatred and war fever. It is not about informing or furthering mutual understanding.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 07/08/08 - 06:12 am
Right on JRHCain! Chronicle,

Right on JRHCain! Chronicle, quit being a stink stirrer and let folks live in peace! The writer needs to look in the man in the mirror. I have Muslim friends who harm no one or impose upon no one. How about building up instead of tearing down!

DonH
DonH 07/08/08 - 06:46 am
The Scotts need to send a

The Scotts need to send a message to the Muslims living there. Muslims need to stop imposing their beliefs on the rest of us non-Muslims. In this country, the church does not run the political structure. If they don't like it, they should go back to living in a Muslim country and join a jehad to fulfill their destiny.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/08/08 - 07:05 am
Coalminer, I have friends

Coalminer, I have friends that don't kill people so we should stop stirring up stink by arresting people that murder. I like your reasoning. No thought involved.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/08/08 - 07:07 am
Cain, you still claim America

Cain, you still claim America is the enemy. I wonder why you seem to like it so much. Go to one of the Muslim countries you defend so strongly and complain about their government. Coward.

justus4
justus4 07/08/08 - 07:20 am
In 1959 there were over

In 1959 there were over twenty eight documented lynchings in America. Emmitt Till was killed because of his race/color and it sparked national outrage. In 2007, Sean Bell was killed, (police did it)and over forty rounds were fired for reaching for a wallet. (Could go on and on...)The Editorial Staff and other high & mighty citizens gotta balance their views because thats the problem, no balance. The examples of extremism can be directed at this nation too, so don't label all Muslims with your writings. Because many Americans are not very smart and well versed on other cultures and refuse to admit America's violent history of diversity, so spare us the convenient outrage.

john
john 07/08/08 - 07:25 am
So everyone should be

So everyone should be sensitive and diverse except for the muslims? So its ok with you that you cant buy bacon at Walmart or take a taxi from the airport if you have a bottle from the duty free shop if a muslim is at the register/wheel? If my child got in trouble for not praying towards Mecca......The relative is absolutely correct. If a muslim child was made to do something outside their practice. WOW

christian134
christian134 07/08/08 - 07:25 am
Justus you claim to be

Justus you claim to be American so if the Muslims in this nation get an upper hand your position will afford you no protection unless you renounce your citizenship and become Muslim...

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 07/08/08 - 07:27 am
If every time we make a step

If every time we make a step or turn a corner we have to stop and worry about who we are going to offend, we will never take a step or turn a corner. There are too many different religions in the world and new one are being added by people that just make them up. I cannot and will not worry about trying to determine what each one is about or offended by to live my life. If everything I do is based on what everyone else believes then aren't I being forced to accept what they believe in the process. If sending a post card with a puppy on it hurts your feelings then too bad. Your feelings are too fragile. People need to grow up and accept that the world is full of disappointments. Watch our government in action and you will see. We shouldn't have to be like someone else to be able to live together. I will be your freind so long as you do what I want you to?

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/08/08 - 07:31 am
Right on Patricia, but I hate

Right on Patricia, but I hate to correct you because he is misinformed and delusional. A cat could be construed as the Maneke neko and one could claim that supports asian cultures and shinto, taoism, or buddhism. Wouldn't that offend other religions that a govt entity was pushing asian religions. The local govt wasn't intentionally being offensive (least I doubt it) and (althought the Kirk is the church of Scotland it is separate and has no govt control or influence much like the monarchy and queen)the govt has no obligation to respect their concerns (separation of church and state). However the muslims do have a right to be offended, but that is the end of it- throw the card in the trash. My bet if Porky Pig was on the card the Muslims would still be offended and the jewish population wouldn't say a word. Most muslim do not respect the sep of church and state, however some countries like Turkey practice laicite and are a secular state although the content of the weekly sermons in all state funded mosques has to be approved by the state. Also, independent Sunni communities are illegal. I have a right to say a crucifix in urine offends me but the govt has no obligation to respect my concerns. Personally I believe we should respect all religions or lack of religion, but the respect has to be mutual. I see little of that in the U.S.

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 07/08/08 - 07:34 am
Typically when a "foreigner"

Typically when a "foreigner" moves to another country, they should be expected to assimilate to that nations customs and norms. They can and should maintain their own as well, but they should expect that things are done differently in other countries, and thus should adjust and understand that no ill will is intended. Cain again shows that he is for anything against America, and feels we should cowtow to others and adjust our customs to foriegners. The US is a melting pot, and has developed certain customs over many years as our norm. If others wish to settle in our country, they must understand this. If an American were to settle in Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, do you honestly think they would adjust their customs to fit our beliefs? Whey should we do the same.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/08/08 - 07:47 am
Well said RJH.

Well said RJH.

afadel
afadel 07/08/08 - 07:57 am
The Augusta Chronicle

The Augusta Chronicle editorial has blown the issue of the Scotland postcard out of proportion. http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/07/02/newsstory11590817t0.asp
As is clear from the article, the council member objected to the police's failure to follow its own procedure of running community mailings through its diversity coordinator. The same council member who raised that objection has not pursued the matter further. Local Muslim leaders have also declared that they see nothing wrong with the postcard or displaying the postcard, and no official U.K. Muslim organization is even discussing the issue. So why is the Augusta Chronicle acting as if this is a big example of why allowing diversity among people sharing the same geographical space is such a bad thing? There are two books that dog lovers out there might like: Book of the Superiority of Dogs over Many of Those Who Wear Clothes (ISBN 0856680907) by Ibn Al-Marzuban, who lived in Baghdad in the 10th century, and The Animals' Lawsuit Against Humanity (ISBN 1887752706), also from 10th century Iraq. These are both available at Amazon.com.

apoclypesnow
apoclypesnow 07/08/08 - 07:59 am
Diversity and dumb down have

Diversity and dumb down have gotten us where we are today, enough is enough. If yu come here assimilate, if you don't want to do that go to some other country and take the jsustus' and cain's with you.

afadel
afadel 07/08/08 - 08:05 am
I assume the murder the

I assume the murder the chronicle refers to is the the murder of Sandeela Kanwal. http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/clayton/stories/2008/07/06/claymur.... I support the full investigation, prosecution, and, if found guilty, an appropriate sentence. But again, I've never heard of Muslims in the United States lobbying for light sentences for perpetrators of domestic violence and murder. So it is disappointing that the editorial makes it seem like U.S. Muslims approve of this kind of crime.

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/08/08 - 08:08 am

Thank you afadel for enlightening us on the true course of events! I should have suspected the AC was upto the ole pot stirring game. Giving misinformation as the AC and many posters submit makes one draw wrong conclusions. In this case I am glad I am wrong assuming the muslims over-reacted like the article submits. I believe most people are sensible about their faith, but of course I am likely wrong their too.

willistontownsc
willistontownsc 07/08/08 - 08:11 am
I have a problem with any

I have a problem with any kind of religious indoctrination. What is happening over in Scotland is appalling. What is equally as appalling is that the Chronicle and the same group of people condemning what is going on on the other side of the Atlantic is in support of a Christian theocracy over here. And we are closer than ever to having that become reality over here. We are oppressing women over here, just like the extreme Muslims in those areas. We are destroying civil liberties over here, just like what is going on in Muslim dominated areas.

mgroothand
mgroothand 07/08/08 - 08:20 am
No one has a right to come

No one has a right to come into someone else's society and insist on playing by the rules of some other society. A profound, meaningful but toothless statement. America, often a paper tiger, will grovel to the wills of others for reasons of PC. Something we apparently exported to France and Western Europe, or Eurabia as it is now called. We are so concerned what others think or would think of us that we will go out of our way to appease would-be oppressors and even mortal enemies.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 07/08/08 - 08:28 am
I wonder if the truth about

I wonder if the truth about people like PT and Christian, etc etc don't actually know any Muslims as equals. Many people I have met in Augusta are not well traveled or are traveled in very specific ways (i.e. Army deployment where they would likely be trated as representatives of America's miitary rather than just an ordinary person). As Mark Twain once said "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome, charitable views cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth." Maybe the people here are either need to get out more or try walking in the others guys shoes, rather than move around the world at the point of a Bible or a gun.

grouse
grouse 07/08/08 - 08:31 am
I have no patience with

I have no patience with superstition or delusional thinking whether it be Christian or Muslim.

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/08/08 - 08:38 am
No one supports a religious

No one supports a religious theocracy and there is absolutely no trend of that happening here. That would be unconstitional. The U.S. is a secular state that recognizes the influence of Christiany on its history and culture. Turkey is a secular state and they similarly recognize the influnce of Islam on history and culture yet keep Islam from having any direct influence on govt. I think afadel would make a nice addition to the AC as an editor for the religion section.

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 07/08/08 - 08:45 am
Well, I doubt that. There are

Well, I doubt that. There are no shortage of local yokels who think their interpretation of the Bible should be applied as law. While they may not be religious theocracy in the Iranian sense (head of state is a cleric), it's close enough to destroy the kind of diversity that gives our society strength. Resistance and rejection of those people is worthwhile effort, regardless of how "PC" it may seem. I have met a lot of different kind of people in my travels if I had to rigorously write up the difference between fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalists Muslims, I would end up with a pretty short list.

bone
bone 07/08/08 - 08:51 am
terrible editorial.

terrible editorial. half-truths, speculation, and innuendo with the express purpose of breeding hatred and mistrust of a religious group is not going to improve our world. i really hate agreeing with jrhc, too, so i'm now doubly disgusted.

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/08/08 - 08:53 am
I agree Pay fundamentalism in

I agree Pay fundamentalism in religion or ideology
(like ultraliberal and ultraconservative) all share similar qualities. Fortunately fundamentalist Christianity is a small minority (though vocal) as I believe fundamentalist Islam is also a minority. Further Ultraconservatives and Ultraliberals are fortunately also a minority although both are very vocal. I always had an affinity to Buddhism and the Middle Path. hee,hee,hee. A goal of wishing happiness to all seems a worthy goal.

WW1949
WW1949 07/08/08 - 09:02 am
I don't pay any attention to

I don't pay any attention to what to what Muslin's think or any radical religion. Religion is a personal belief and should be left that way. You keep yours and I will keep mine. Cain and justus4, why don't you leave. Cain doesn't like this country and justus lives in the past.

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 07/08/08 - 09:04 am
catering to diversity has

catering to diversity has become one of the key factors that is leading to the destruction of America.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 07/08/08 - 09:10 am
cain,damn your version of

cain,damn your version of mutual understanding. a puppy is a puppy, there's nothing any more unclean about one than there is the goats muslims seem to fall in love with...so what's the big deal?
the cheyenne nation considered boiled puppies a delicacy and served 'em up whenever they wanted to honor a guest, so bon appetit mr. cain.....dig in...please don't disappoint the cheyenne ,i mean they were here a damn site before the towel heads.

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/08/08 - 09:12 am
I agree Bone, and for some

I agree Bone, and for some reason I was naively falling for it. Forgive me. I need another cup of coffee. Thankfully afadel spoke up about the real story. I hate being so suspicious all the time, but apparently I have to be. I am glad I was drawing the wrong conclusions and I am not too proud to admit my error. I would love to at least see an attempt at a Fairness rule or neutral point of view at the AC but it is just another propaganda machine like the NYTimes is apparently becoming (much to my chagrin).

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 07/08/08 - 09:37 am
the "diversity " you speak of

the "diversity " you speak of pay what u owe, is actually factionalism, and it is bringing this country to it's knees.