Police impersonator owned machine gun

An Augusta man with a history of pretending to be a police officer admitted Tuesday that he illegally possessed a machine gun.

Wycliffe D. Capps, 35, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court. He faces up to 10 years in prison when sentenced.

Mr. Capps has been arrested several times in the past decade for pretending to be a police officer. When sheriff's officers and federal agents searched his home July 19, they found the machine gun and eight other weapons, in addition to police paraphernalia.

The officers suspected that Mr. Capps was involved with a July 18 fire that was set inside First Alliance Church. The minister told the officers that the man who lived next door to the church, Mr. Capps, had told him several times that he was police officer, ATF Special Agent Ronald Rhodes testified Tuesday.

Mr. Capps told the judge that he knew he wasn't supposed to own a firearm because he is a convicted felon.

Mr. Capps was sentenced in Richmond County Superior Court to two years' probation under the First Offender Act for impersonating a police officer in May 2005. Although he was charged in three incidents, he was allowed to plead guilty to a single charge.

In 1999, Mr. Capps was charged with impersonating a police officer on five occasions -- once when he pulled a young female motorist over. At the time he was wearing a handgun and a vest with the word "sheriff" printed on it.

The charges in those incidents were reduced to misdemeanor offenses, and Mr. Capps received probation.

Since his arrest last summer, Mr. Capps has been held without bond. Federal and state weapon charges were filed against him.

No federal court sentencing date has been set.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

pofwe
pofwe 07/02/08 - 06:16 am
Keep letting the imposter

Keep letting the imposter plead down those felonies & sooner or later his fantasies are going to turn to "Jack-the-Ripper." Obviously the fool is a teeming lunatic. LOCK HIM UP-P-P!!!!

Dark Lord
Dark Lord 07/02/08 - 06:30 am
Only in Augusta, Ga can you

Only in Augusta, Ga can you break any law you want repeatedly and get probation. What does it take to lock these type of people up. Maybe if they start to impersonate a judge the court will be more proactive. Seems to me the courts want these people to hurt and kill innocent people. Thats why they let them go free over and over.

1313 07/02/08 - 07:18 am
Of all the luck. I paid that

Of all the luck. I paid that speeding ticket he gave me.

silentwings
silentwings 07/02/08 - 07:38 am
How could he plead first

How could he plead first offender in 05, when he was sentenced in 99??? agree with pofwe.

Marco
Marco 07/02/08 - 08:25 am
You already have crooks

You already have crooks pretenting to be judges, it's been that way for years.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/02/08 - 11:26 am
This is scarey... pulling

This is scarey... pulling over people (women) and impersonating a police officer.. all we need is for him to pull over some young girl on a dark county road one night...... he needs to stay locked up!

darktall
darktall 07/02/08 - 11:56 am
silentwings, he had never

silentwings, he had never used his first offender status until 05, nobody with any sense wastes it on a misd. It does not mean this is your first offense when you use it but simply that you have never been convicted of a felony anywhere.

fallendown
fallendown 07/02/08 - 12:52 pm
He has been getting away with

He has been getting away with this for years. He stalks police officers and makes friends with them so he can keep from going to jail.

GET REAL1
GET REAL1 07/02/08 - 01:12 pm
FUNNY 1313....he is a bit

FUNNY 1313....he is a bit nuts......

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/02/08 - 01:26 pm
Has anyone noticed this

Has anyone noticed this repeat offender who could pull someone over and do God knows what to them... has never had his picture printed with any of these stories so people know what kind of fake cop to look out for??? Obviously he has family with pull somewhere to care more about the criminal than protecting the public.

gnx
gnx 07/02/08 - 02:21 pm
That's why you never pull

That's why you never pull over anywhere you don't feel safe and continue driving until you reach the nearest open gas station or business where you feel comfortable. Better yet - dial 911 on your cell and verify that you're being followed by a real officer.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/02/08 - 04:40 pm
I agree with TakeAstand, he

I agree with TakeAstand, he must be related to the Harbins or Walkers.

Walden
Walden 07/02/08 - 07:42 pm
Wyc Capps is a known brown

Wyc Capps is a known brown noser to the police. It doesnt take much being around him to realize that he is full of deficant (not sure thats a real word but anyway). Hopefully we wont have to deal with him for a long time.

charlesd
charlesd 07/02/08 - 10:09 pm
Walden, I don't think you or

Walden, I don't think you or the police have seen the end of this story yet ! I think this story is long and wide ! Trust me,my friend

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/02/08 - 10:42 pm
I think I see the problem.

I think I see the problem. Obviously the judge is impersonating a judge. Lock them both up. I think I will start impersonating a physician. I can open up shop make a little dough and I get to bury any mistakes. If I get caught well I should be back killing people within a week. Sounds like a lucrative practice huh? Freakin ridiculous isn't. Oh why not impersonate a pilot, a fireman, an ambulance driver, a pastor, ex-Presidents, etc. etc. Heck it is not like it is a crime or anything-obviously.

Little Whitey
Little Whitey 07/03/08 - 07:51 am
Walden you speak of the brown

Walden you speak of the brown nosing CAPPS did with the local police. Well how do you think he came into possession of the fully automatic firearms, and the sheriff's office paraphernaila? The same high ranking officers of the sheriff's office (known to be CAPPS' "drinking buddies") had to supply CAPPS with the badge he has been known to flash at times. CharlesD is correct you have not heard the last of this story.....

charlesd
charlesd 07/03/08 - 10:14 am
Amen RPMcMurphy ! Is "brown

Amen RPMcMurphy ! Is "brown nosing defined by favors to these so called police by buying drinks,airline tickets,trips to the beach,and a host of untold "other things"that may come out before this is all over. You're right Murphy, I've not heard one thing about a theft at RCSO......except within. Lets watch this one
IT'S GOING TO BE VERY INTERESTING>>>>FRONT PAGE STYLE

ishefa
ishefa 07/03/08 - 09:29 pm
I wondered if this is the

I wondered if this is the same man that pulled me over one Sat. afternoon when I was traveling down that main road that leads to the Augusta Airport (forget the name). I do not see a picture of Mr. Capps, but this man was black, and looked to be in his late 30s early 40s. He pulled me over, and accused me of speeding. I mediately sense something wasn't right (my hubby is a police officer), and I confronted him on why he didn't have a badge, and that he was not in a traffic or police vehicle. I became annoyed and told him that he had no right to pull me over, and I got into my car threating to report him, and left. He got into his old chevy (?) and took off.

justus4
justus4 07/04/08 - 04:55 pm
Wow! No pic. No attempt

Wow! No pic. No attempt previously to stop this idiot. AND, he has auto weapons. An accident waiting to happen and he is known to local law. AND he will not get any jail time for this episode. Wow! And these uniformed idiots want some respect? This entire department needs drug testing and publish the results. What a bunch...

As It Is
As It Is 07/05/08 - 02:20 am
Justus4, you are about as

Justus4, you are about as ignorant as it gets. Local law enforcement officers have arrested him on multiple charges time and time again only to have the court system plea down the charges. Again, local law enforcement arrests the suspect in 05 and again charges lowered (as they are in many cases quite often of all races and sexes) and now again, 3 cases of impersonating an officer reduced to one case with a plea. Since the local judicial systems keeps showing their liberal bias, it will take the Federal Court system on the recent weapons charges to get any action. As for your other comments, officers are drug tested and they do get respect from many but mostly from those on the right side of the law. Ignorance is bliss....

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 07/05/08 - 09:06 am
Oh Good lord!!

Oh Good lord!!

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 07/05/08 - 12:19 pm
Sounds very fishy to me. Why

Sounds very fishy to me. Why would the courts reduce that kind of sentence to probation? Sounds a lot like 'good ole boys' system working alive and well here. Something is not being said. And yes, why is there no picture of this criminal with the story? Is the paper helping protect this one? I don't think this kind of story should have run without a photo of the guy. I'm sure a mug shot is on public record and available somewhere. Not good.

Carmella
Carmella 07/06/08 - 11:00 am
Oh Wyc..... what have you

Oh Wyc..... what have you gone and done?

musikmakur
musikmakur 07/11/08 - 04:41 pm
charlesd....you need to move

charlesd....you need to move to another city and make stupid comments about criminals that you seem to think are just "fine, upstanding citizens." you and i have already shared words about wyc when AC published the article back in april about him "knowing" something and that it was just the beginning. you're right! IT IS JUST THE BEGINNING! hopefully the beginning of his federal prison sentence! idiots like this that get away with breaking the law, like so many others, deserve nothing but the worst from the court system. and yet they keep on keepin' on.....and just incase anyone is wondering..... wyc is a white male, about 200 pounds(the last time i saw him was bigger, so i'm trying to make an estimate), stands almost six feet tall, has a crew cut, and generally "fits the profile" of a law enforcement officer.