Man is arrested in child molestation

An Augusta man recently released from probation on a 2005 statutory rape conviction was arrested Sunday on a child molestation warrant from Glynn County.

William Archer Stulb, 23, of the 2800 block of Lombardy Court, was being held in the Richmond County Jail on Monday night, according to jailers.

Representatives for the Glynn County Sheriff's Office were reluctant to discuss their case, but a copy of the arrest warrants obtained by The Augusta Chronicle accuses Mr. Stulb of molesting a pre-teen girl on June 22 in Sea Island, Ga.

In 2005, a jury found Mr. Stulb guilty of statutory rape.

He was convicted of having sex in 2003 with a 14-year-old girl when he was 18.

He was sentenced to one year in jail followed by nine years on probation, 300 hours of community service and a $10,000 fine.

At the time, Mr. Stulb was not required by law to register as a sex offender because of his age, and the option to require him to register as a sex offender was at the discretion of the presiding judge.

When the law changed in 2006, Mr. Stulb was required to register.

On May 21, Superior Court Judge Duncan Wheale rescinded Mr. Stulb's sentence.

Judge Wheale resentenced him under the First Offender Act at a June 4 hearing to time served and released him from probation.

The case prosecutor said the District Attorney's Office plans to appeal the decision, which could set a precedent if it is upheld by the state appellate court.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

jack
jack 07/01/08 - 01:27 pm
Tech, minors cannot legally

Tech, minors cannot legally give consent to sex. Wake up!

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/01/08 - 03:26 pm
Speaking of crimes I was

Speaking of crimes I was reading a letter to a MCG alumnus (a friend of mine) from the MCG foundation that Dan Rahn is trying to usurp. The foundation has 150 million in assets, but all but about 8 million as I recollect is already legally bound to other uses. The foundation of which Rahn is a member all voted unanimously to deny the request (except Rahn who is member and he abstained). He wanted 5 million so he would just leave them 3 million which was just inconceivable so they had to deny the request. So he decides to try and force the elected members of the foundation to resign (which they now announce their resistance) and he has already formed a new foundation with his choice. I say we need a criminal investigation and ask the fascist Rahn to resign as the schools president. Just usurp the autonomy and authority of the foundation because you don't get what you want. Reminds me of GW Bush. The state recognizes the present foundation but let's see how the state reacts, because we may need a federal investigation and ask Perdue and his crew to resign.

jpace123
jpace123 07/01/08 - 03:40 pm
Funny how the article fails

Funny how the article fails to mention Mr Stulb is related to Judge Wheale...

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 07/01/08 - 03:46 pm
I have 2 teenage sons. Girls

I have 2 teenage sons. Girls are a lot more aggressive now that they were when I was a teenager. I doubt you will find many 14 year olds that act like 14 year olds. They dress and look like they are in their 20's. 18 and 14 is not that much of a difference. I was 23 and my wife was 17 when we began dating. I think a lot of times (not always) the parents know about the age differences but fail to do anything until there is a break up or an argument. I'm not sure what the answer should be but making criminals out of people that are in a situation with someone that is underage and having a consensual sexual relationship is not the answer.

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/01/08 - 04:00 pm
Dang wylds. You're almost a

Dang wylds. You're almost a sexual predator by todays standards. Stupid isn't it when pedophilia is sex with prepubescent children. I love when logic and reason rule the day.LOL.

leah1333
leah1333 07/01/08 - 06:35 pm
Shouldn't Mark Lunsford's son

Shouldn't Mark Lunsford's son also be registered? Joshua was 18 and his girlfriend was 14 when her parents filled charges against him. But he wore a tshirt with Jessica's picture on it. Just google his name bug it didn't make the news because of who his father is. There are two judicial systems. One makes Oklahoma's Ricky a sex offender at 16 and lets Lunsford's son off at 18. www.rickyslife.com

Jillian
Jillian 07/01/08 - 07:08 pm
If my son molested a person

If my son molested a person and/or raped them then yes I would still say the death sentence is the right call. There is NO EXCUSE for such violence.

hisfaith2003
hisfaith2003 07/02/08 - 02:27 am
In this crazy world it is who

In this crazy world it is who your parents are. 13,14,15, year olds can not make discisions on sex. So if you are 17 and older and you are seeing a 13,14,15 year old you are a child molestor. And he will do it again because he like messing with little girls because he lacks something and what is so sad he will keep getting away with it until he meets the right family. When a adult is dating or messing with a underage child they need to be in a jail cell with a man named Bo who is in jail for the rest of his life and see how he feels when Bo force his self on him.....

prayer2008
prayer2008 07/02/08 - 06:45 am
mr. stulb is not related to

mr. stulb is not related to judge wheale.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/02/08 - 07:03 am
Did I miss this story in this

Did I miss this story in this morning's Columbia News-Times?

chacha2008
chacha2008 07/02/08 - 09:33 am
TakeaStand Bush represented

TakeaStand Bush represented my hubby and took my family to the cleaners in legal fees. Judge Wheale did a great injustice to my family and the state of Georiga. I just pray for real justice when their times come.

tarryl
tarryl 07/02/08 - 12:13 pm
Remember Genarlo Wilson of

Remember Genarlo Wilson of Douglasville, GA and Marcus Dixon of Rome, GA. Those two boys got 10 years a piece in separate cases for having consentual sex. In the end, they both were released, but they had to fight for their freedom. This looks either like a double standard or the judge felt that a 10 year sentence was unconstitutional.

j2says
j2says 07/02/08 - 12:54 pm
As far as the comments about

As far as the comments about the judge no one could have saw this would happen. He tried to cut the man a break so he wouldn't ruin his young life. He couldn't have known the man was actually a predator. 14 and 18 is not the big of difference and the victim could have lied abour her age.NO one on here knows the circumstances of the past situation. And as far as the ranters making comments about the judge sentencing relatives, if your relatives had not done the crime then they wouldn't have to do the time. Once you commit a crime your fate is in the hands of others so you have no right to be mad at anyone but the criminal. It's not the judges fault it's your loved ones for putting you in the predicament in the first place.

cara1985
cara1985 07/02/08 - 01:17 pm
i am not sure why everyone

i am not sure why everyone keeps blaiming the judge in this situation. I agree with j2says. No one could have predicted that this person would have committed another sex crime based on a 18 year old hooking up with a 14 year old. That is one thing but a 23 year old man, recently off of parole and out of prison, molesting a 12 year old girl, that is just sick. It was not the judge's fault he went out and did this. It is the predators fault alone. I do believe this time if and when he is convicted there will be no leniency from any judge.

augusta49
augusta49 07/02/08 - 01:27 pm
Get a grip!! People like

Get a grip!! People like William Stulb should have been behind bars in the first place, THEN.....this molestation wouldn't have occurred. I'd be mad as hell at the judge if I were this girl's family. If he had molested YOUR little daugher or little sister....your tune would surely change.

chacha2008
chacha2008 07/02/08 - 01:47 pm
Too bad you can't take a

Too bad you can't take a Judge to court for being idiot and causing injury to a family member.

inAUGsince1832
inAUGsince1832 07/02/08 - 02:11 pm
Chacha, you should be mad at

Chacha, you should be mad at your husband for breaking the law and no one else.

cm_tech
cm_tech 07/02/08 - 08:02 pm
I wasted a decade of my life

I wasted a decade of my life trying to bring JDW to justice. He paid $120,000 as reported by the Chronicle for his defense, and has laughed while admitting truth in the charges after a "no bill" was handed down by the Grand Jury. The untold story is the REAL story, and the paper would do the State a good service to investigate and report on his 9 yr 7 month period of service. The Augusta community will be his biggest laugh, the laughter will begin when he receives his first retirement check. DON'T COUNT ON JUSTICE IN JDW's courtroom. DON'T COUNT ON THE AUGUSTA BAR ASSOCIATION TO WEED IT'S GARDEN EITHER. In celebration of the 4th remember that our Freedom isn't about being able to do anything, but is about choosing to do the right thing. One person at a time, this will make us become the nation that we want to be. Don't waste energy trying to bring down the wicked. JDW's greatest suffering is knowing his own heart, a heart that is black, cold, and empty... or is that his cranium? VOTE, VOTE, VOTE, VOTE.......

chacha2008
chacha2008 07/03/08 - 11:25 am
Yo Aug1 you obvisiouly are

Yo Aug1 you obvisiouly are perfect and have never done something you later regretted. I am so happy for you. Not. Judge Wheale is an idiot. He gives those with a paper crime years in prison and lets off the sex offenders and drug dealers, so those folks can go out and hurt people all over again. I admit what my hubbie did was wrong. Who are you a dishonest attorney, judge, cop, need i contintue. Blah blah blah Aug1

leadbrickhead
leadbrickhead 07/03/08 - 12:10 pm
Bizzaro, you are such a liar.

Bizzaro, you are such a liar. You know perfectly well that over 90% of all offenders never reoffend. Grow up before you do more harm.

Bantana, what a sicko you are. Shame on you! Molestation is not a learned behavior and you know it! It is a mental problem that you seem to be willing to punish for but not treat. People like you are what caused my rape.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/03/08 - 08:13 pm
??????

??????

TommyBoy
TommyBoy 07/05/08 - 07:36 am
Here is an article about his

Here is an article about his faith along with a photo of his mother, Markie Nixon, and what a decent person he is:

augusta49
augusta49 07/05/08 - 09:39 am
Lots of people "find Jesus"

Lots of people "find Jesus" when they are in dire straits.

gouga
gouga 07/06/08 - 04:14 pm
Here is a pic of William (in

Here is a pic of William (in white shirt)in Spotted: http://spotted.augusta.com/display.html?event=67763884&gallery=92424&pag...

Looks like a decent guy. Don't know what was going through his mind that caused this.

augusta49
augusta49 07/06/08 - 06:40 pm
Lots of people "look" decent.

Lots of people "look" decent. Doesn't mean that they are.

HillGuy
HillGuy 07/06/08 - 07:08 pm
No surprise for Georgia's

No surprise for Georgia's rape capital... Augusta.

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 07/07/08 - 12:17 am
Bring back the chain gang and

Bring back the chain gang and rev up the death penalty. Sell raffle tickets to see who will get to throw the switch.

whatithink
whatithink 07/08/08 - 03:39 pm
The real shame here is that

The real shame here is that so many good people saw good things in this man. I pray for all the people that showed empathy and compassion towards this man...only to be deeply disappointed. Many wanted to believe good would come from this. I feel for the family's and people who extended trust. I know it has to hurt on so many levels. Make no mistake...the crime is heinous. Justice will be done. I just hope those who "took a chance" can heal and still continue to find good in those around them.

cdphiilips
cdphiilips 07/09/08 - 09:43 am
I am glad "gouga" thinks he

I am glad "gouga" thinks he looks like a decent man. The parents of the pre-teen girl defended him during his rape trial. Also Judge Wheale is not related to the rapist he is just good friends with his grandfather. Judge Wheale knew about 2 rapes during the first trial I wonder if he wants to give William Stulb more community service because he is such a decent person for raping underage girls.

Kettle donations rise in 2014