Man is arrested in child molestation

An Augusta man recently released from probation on a 2005 statutory rape conviction was arrested Sunday on a child molestation warrant from Glynn County.

William Archer Stulb, 23, of the 2800 block of Lombardy Court, was being held in the Richmond County Jail on Monday night, according to jailers.

Representatives for the Glynn County Sheriff's Office were reluctant to discuss their case, but a copy of the arrest warrants obtained by The Augusta Chronicle accuses Mr. Stulb of molesting a pre-teen girl on June 22 in Sea Island, Ga.

In 2005, a jury found Mr. Stulb guilty of statutory rape.

He was convicted of having sex in 2003 with a 14-year-old girl when he was 18.

He was sentenced to one year in jail followed by nine years on probation, 300 hours of community service and a $10,000 fine.

At the time, Mr. Stulb was not required by law to register as a sex offender because of his age, and the option to require him to register as a sex offender was at the discretion of the presiding judge.

When the law changed in 2006, Mr. Stulb was required to register.

On May 21, Superior Court Judge Duncan Wheale rescinded Mr. Stulb's sentence.

Judge Wheale resentenced him under the First Offender Act at a June 4 hearing to time served and released him from probation.

The case prosecutor said the District Attorney's Office plans to appeal the decision, which could set a precedent if it is upheld by the state appellate court.

Reach Valerie Rowell at (706) 868-1222, ext. 110, or valerie.rowell@augustachronicle.com.

karmakills123
karmakills123 07/01/08 - 03:53 am
Good job

Good job judge...........................................................

Reality
Reality 07/01/08 - 04:44 am
The first offenders act is a

The first offenders act is a get out of jail free card. Why would he rescind the the sentence????

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/01/08 - 05:30 am
Sounds like the police are on

Sounds like the police are on top of this case.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 07/01/08 - 06:50 am
Judge Wheale has made us

Judge Wheale has made us proud on so many ocaisions. How do you impeach a judge for poor judgement? 18 & 14 was bad enough. Now it's 23 & 12. Getting worse as time goes by. The parents of the new victim should sue Judge Wheale for releasing this guy to molest their child.

darktall
darktall 07/01/08 - 08:08 am
He could have molested the

He could have molested the child whether or not he was on probation. Just because you are on probation does not mean you become a model citizen with no crime. Give the Judge a break this happens a lot you the public just do not hear about it.

lulu
lulu 07/01/08 - 08:11 am
Judge Wheale is a complete

Judge Wheale is a complete moron. Judge Wheale has proven overtime that he in incapable of making good decisions and is NOT bench worthy. I am very happy that is he not finishing his term. If you have a minute please look at his website were he is asking Augustans to pay his personal debt. www.duncanwheale.com Click on contact.

darktall
darktall 07/01/08 - 08:13 am
He could have molested the

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/01/08 - 08:40 am
He should have received

He should have received psychiatric and medical intervention but that only lowers recidivism by 15-18 percent. So he would have likely been a repeat offender anyways. That is why Jessica's law and a mandatory 20 years is good till medical and criminal entities can figure how to deal with the problem in an effective manner.

luckie
luckie 07/01/08 - 08:46 am
A four year difference falls

A four year difference falls under the Romeo and Juliet Law. I bet it was consensual. It only becomes statutory due to the age. Why didn't her parents have better control of her. Can you imagine how his parents must feel?

darktall
darktall 07/01/08 - 08:50 am
Who said he did not get

Who said he did not get treatment Bizarro?

Son of God
Son of God 07/01/08 - 08:53 am
Be very careful how you

Be very careful how you choose your words when speaking about someone. Consider Proverbs 18:21.This man has no one to blame but himself and God will forgive him and he can make it into Heaven and you will still be putting your mouth on people and criticizing therefore making your bed to go straight to Hell. Read Revelation 21:7,8. Romans 8:28 says, " And we know that ALL things work together for the GOOD for those that LOVE THE LORD and are be called according to HIS purpose." We should speak evil of no man. The man that IS ACCUSED of molestation shall receive his reward and the child shall be HUGGED AND CARED FOR BY GOD. I am not familiar with Judge Wheale or the victim but I am familiar and sold out to God and I know that God loves Judge Wheale, you, me, and ALL involved EQUALLY. Let's stop this finger pointing and pray for deliverance. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and the rulers of darkness of this world and SPIRITUAL WICKEDNESS IN HIGH PLACES. EPHESIANS 6:10. Thers are many souls in prison and some are not guilty but they happened to be in the wrong surroundings. As long as they are not DEAD, they have a SECOND CHANCE.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 07/01/08 - 08:58 am
Read between the lines.

Read between the lines.

thereishope
thereishope 07/01/08 - 09:45 am
He did not get treatment,

He did not get treatment, because his family is convinced he is innocent!

Bizarro
Bizarro 07/01/08 - 10:03 am
My argument is the likely it

My argument is the likely it wouldn't have mattered. The high rate of repeat offenses is indicative of that.

Jillian
Jillian 07/01/08 - 10:20 am
That Judge should have to

That Judge should have to take this criminal in his own home and let him live with his own children and then see how things work out.

augusta49
augusta49 07/01/08 - 11:40 am
Well, this same judge's son

Well, this same judge's son was arrested by school police at his college for making a bomb. In the Chronicle, Judge Wheale said that they would dicipline him at home. HOW FAIR IS THAT??? What a poor excuse for a judge. Glad he's leaving.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/01/08 - 11:41 am
Give the judge a break the

Give the judge a break the first 14.. 18.. I mean dumb but most girls in my neighborhood are pregnant at 14. It's not only the guys fault. like someone the other day said how would you feel if it was your 18 yr old n 1 day son with a 14 yr old 364 day old. Who decided because you broke up to tell her parents and get you arrested falsely when probably the girl initiated it. 2 years is not that bad for teens. so the judge was not wrong at all. He was trying to save a young man from his life being ruined by possible teen love gone wrong. The judge is not a psychic. Now if a judge doesn't give him a big slap on the head for this one... for one the age and 2 repeat offender.. then he should be chastised!! All these judges releasing these violent criminals and letting 5 n 6 repeat dui offenders go with slaps on the wrist...... this judge did nothing wrong in this particular case IMO.

augusta49
augusta49 07/01/08 - 12:01 pm
Also, not only did the

Also, not only did the judge's son make the bomb, but he also detonated it. It was in the 5-13-04 Chronicle. Google it if you can't go that far back in the Chronicle on your computer. You'd be surprised at what the judge said.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/01/08 - 12:27 pm
The only article I could find

The only article I could find on that was a rant and rave that an anonymous person wrote in saying what happened on 5/13/04. I take that with a grain of salt.. a mad ranter...lol not reliable. Do you have a link to the actual news story or the name of the school or son? Google was no help either with just name bomb and state lol All it pulled was cases here involving bombs and the judge.

augusta49
augusta49 07/01/08 - 12:30 pm
Ok, then google Ryan Wheale

Ok, then google Ryan Wheale and then scroll down and you'll see it. After you read it then you can LOL again. No I'm not a mad ranter, and you can take it with all the salt that you want.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/01/08 - 12:50 pm
Thanks gibzgirl.. the link

Thanks gibzgirl.. the link worked even though the story says 5/12. Thats why I couldnt find it I went to the archives on 5/13... and the search of course did not show it... hardly ever works right. Gotta love this site!! lol

aw8ngjustice
aw8ngjustice 07/01/08 - 01:01 pm
Wheale won't even do anything

Wheale won't even do anything about the First Offenders he sentenced last year for violating their probation all along. I hear they have been pimping out their 14 year old for crack. But they will never go to the big house.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 07/01/08 - 01:02 pm
Why was this man resentenced?

Why was this man resentenced? Personally I believe that the staturory rape law should be changed. I'm totally in favor of abstinence until marriage but I also live in a society where that i less and less likely to be the case and those who engage in sexual activity unless there is force involved in ANY way, should not be criminalized in most cases. There SHOULD be an age of consent but locking up the male is discriminatory in that the female ALSO engaged in that activity and if it was willingly done she, too, is as guilty as the male. However, this young man seems to have taken Judge Wheale's unexplained benevolence as a license to continue his wicked ways. If he were still under the original probation, he would be sent directly to jail to complete original time left on his probation. Sex with a preteen is way beyond statutory rape and the perpetrator is lucky that someone from the victim's family isn't the judge. As for Judge Wheale's son, was he guilty as charged or found innocent? Attending a Christian college should carry with it a responsibility to live up to the standards of that denomination and getting drunk and setting off bombs is within their tenets.

augusta49
augusta49 07/01/08 - 01:18 pm
For those of you who can't

For those of you who can't pull up archives....you can google Ryan Wheale and scroll down about half way, and you can click on the aricle in The Augusta Chronicle.

chacha2008
chacha2008 07/01/08 - 01:30 pm
Way to go Judge Wheale! Like

Way to go Judge Wheale! Like I have said before my husband needed to be a sex offender or dealing drugs and you would have let him off. Instead you sentenced him to five years when full restitution had been paid to the victim and even the victim asked for no prison time. You are an idiot, I am so glad you are retirng. You need to go to a deserted island somewhere so you won't hurt any one else! Amazing how you took care of your soon, and said one stupid mistake, how about those in your courtroom that made a stupid mistake, the same rules should apply to them as you son. You are a disgrace to the legal profession you and Georgie Bush go to the same island.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/01/08 - 01:43 pm
eh..... doesn't supirse me..

eh..... doesn't supirse me.. he is a judge but is also a parent. As long as the boy is tried and punished accordingly and he didn't interfere then what would you say if it was your son.. hang em? lol... I think the boys were idiots and hope they were punished good, but as a parent you say things you would not say if it were someone else and vise versa. And sorry if you were offended but anyone can rant about anything in that column whether its true or not or maybe just even exaggerated. You sound a lil ticked at this judge lol were you the ranter who said you went through the same thing with your son or one of the parents he lectured who boys were caught? Just curious to why so mad. I would like to see his record on dui's. I wish there was a site to see which of these judges keep letting these repeat offenders off with slaps on the wrist for 5 or 6 duis and then the [filtered word] kills someone. Those are the judges I really wish could be removed.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/01/08 - 01:46 pm
chacha.... what happened with

chacha.... what happened with your hubby? I seen you said bush defended him once was it for this you speak of? Just curious, if an injustice has been done.

augusta49
augusta49 07/01/08 - 01:58 pm
No,I was not one of the

No,I was not one of the parents that he lectured. I'm just really ticked that his son was charged with 3 felonies, and he ONLY diciplined him at home and kept his son home for one semester. I'm not saying that I wouldn't want to do something if I had a child who was in trouble...but it is NOT right that a judge's son, who is considered an adult....gets off with a slap on the wrist if that much. Detonating SIX bombs could have killed someone. Would you like it if your child went off to college and other college students made and detonated bombs?? How safe would you feel for your child? How about all of these other colleges that have bombers, etc. It would have been alot different if he had done some little prank, such as spray painted something etc. But this was bombs. He was drunk. THAT is what the Augusta Chronicle said.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/01/08 - 02:05 pm
Look I said as long as he was

Look I said as long as he was punished good and the judge did not have a hand in it. Now you are saying he got no legal punishment?? That's not right and I would be mad too, but because you are so rared up I won't give this judge or you a second thought or post agreeing with you. You brought this topic up and I was just inquiring about it.. no need to be so snotty with me lol..take a chill pill... geesh!!