Hillary Clinton cartoon was shameful

Regarding Rick McKee's June 7 cartoon depicting Hillary Clinton: He may think he is a great cartoonist, but I've seen better. He has no respect for women. How would he like it if someone drew a picture of his mother, trying to disgrace her? I don't think he would.

Trash like that doesn't make him a great person. It only makes dummies out of the ones who want to be great. I'd like to know how McKee knows so much about Hillary Clinton. A Democrat has the same rights as a Republican.

I am 83 years old and have lived under 13 presidents. When her husband was president, Hillary Clinton stepped up to help the poor and seniors have quality health care -- which one day McKee will need. But critics said, "Oh, she wants to be president" -- so she stepped aside.

It was Eleanor Roosevelt's brainstorm over the breakfast table to come up with the Civilian Conservation Corps that put thousands of young men to work and train them for other jobs; I was one of those men. The National Youth Administration, training young men how to earn a living, was her idea. It was her idea for the Works Progress Administration; it wasn't much, but it put food on the table for poor people.

And how about Social Security and Medicare? it wasn't a Republican who gave them to the people.

Lonnie E. Reeves, North Augusta, S.C.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 06/28/08 - 04:49 am
No Lonnie, it wasn't a

No Lonnie, it wasn't a Republican who "gave" people entitlements....it was a socialist.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/28/08 - 07:23 am
Please don't make me vomit.

Please don't make me vomit. It is an election year-get over it. All this indignant behavior is just either naive or terribly dishonest. Well at 83 there is lot of cognitive loss-so there you have it.

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/28/08 - 07:29 am
Yeah Bizarro, obviously this

Yeah Bizarro, obviously this poor old lady is out of touch with reality, I mean, it's a political cartoon, it's supposed to be offensive. And no one thinks Rick McKee is great. I don't even think Rick McKee thinks he is great. Ah well, no telling what you and I will write when we're 83, Lord willing we live that long. And did anybody get his cartoon today about the guns? I only vaguely paid attention to the news on the Supreme Court ruling. I'm not sure if he's mocking the ruling or what?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 06/28/08 - 07:50 am
What could one show in a

What could one show in a cartoon that could possibly disgrace a Clinton?

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/28/08 - 07:54 am
When you run for a public

When you run for a public office you open yourself up to all kind of pot shots -- sometimes they are so close to the truth that they hurt --- if you don't believe me, just run for a public office....

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/08 - 08:08 am
This is a letter from an 83

This is a letter from an 83 year old woman. From her perspective, socialism is a viable way of life. I think all people that think like Ms Reeves should have the option of moving to a government reservation so they can be properly cared for.

corgimom
corgimom 06/28/08 - 08:21 am
I am just glad we live in a

I am just glad we live in a country where people can draw unflattering cartoons of politicians. In a lot of countries, that would get you killed. Focus on THAT instead of some cartoon that people won't remember 1 week from now.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/28/08 - 08:35 am
You know crackertroy I never

You know crackertroy I never even notice his cartoons. I love political cartoons. Hey I'm a good artist maybe I should send in a few of my own-hee,hee,hee. Many in my family live to be in their 90's . Only a couple lived to the age with an intact brain. I hope I get hit by a train or something before I go off to la la land. I'm dealing with my Mom now who is just a shell of her former self. It is really sad.

Cody_Webster
Cody_Webster 06/28/08 - 09:06 am
I bet Ms Reeves was a

I bet Ms Reeves was a homemaker all her life. No life in the fast lane trying to provide for the family while the government was trying to make her and everyone else poor with taxation.
I must give her a little credit for still being able to surf the "net" at her age. She is the lady I heard years ago on some news program hollering, "It's my money and I want it now", "They are my entitlements and I want them now".

Ms Reeves, your generation created the mess this country is in right now, you, my grandparents, my parents with their creative design programs on government assistance and freebies. You reached attainable age and sucked the system dry, leaving future generations to pay for your "perks" and the attainable "carrot" being pushed further out on the stick the next generation is trying to catch.

Enjoy your week-end, thank you for allowing me to vent, at least I won't get a tax bill for doing it (yet).

silentwings
silentwings 06/28/08 - 09:11 am
I bet Ms "lonnie" has voted a

I bet Ms "lonnie" has voted a straight socialist/demo ticket her entire adult life!

TwistMac
TwistMac 06/28/08 - 09:40 am
Um, if anyone would have

Um, if anyone would have bothered to read the whole article, the part about working with the Civilian Conservation Corps in particular, they might have noticed that this 'poor old lady' and this career 'homemaker' they're labeling the writer as, is in fact, a gentleman.

silentwings
silentwings 06/28/08 - 09:48 am
Well twist my willy,

Well twist my willy, twistmac--you are correctomundo! Be HE still voted straight damneecrap!

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/28/08 - 09:51 am
I am a 83 year old man and

I am a 83 year old man and although my body suffers the ravages of time my mind is still sharp enough to make the following observation. The writer of this letter is obviously a man not a woman and it is unlikely that he was part of the CCC as he claims. The CCC was founded in 1933 when Lonnie was 8 years old and was disbanded in 1942 when Lonnie was 17. Thank you and have a good day. I will now go back to my morning nap.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/28/08 - 09:53 am
Note I never made such a

Note I never made such a fallacious assumption. Although I wasn't sure whether Lonnie was a female or male. Hey maybe transgendered.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/28/08 - 09:55 am
Hey Carleton you are a sharp

Hey Carleton you are a sharp cookie as I have complemented you in the past, but unfortunatley our cognitive abilities go down quickly with age as a whole. I hope I'm like you dude-what is your secret. Don't tell me morning naps. Hee.hee.

dont live there anymore
dont live there anymore 06/28/08 - 10:04 am
I am a woman and I am 83

I am a woman and I am 83 years old. I have not lost my cognitive abilities and I can even do the spade work in my garden. I am healthy and happy and I live amongst other people who are healthy both mentally and physically. Why do you continue to profile senior citizens?

freedombelle
freedombelle 06/28/08 - 10:39 am
don't live there anymore...I

don't live there anymore...I am 71 and getting older & better every day...They profile seniors because they obviously haven't been taught to respect them..Maybe they don't love or respect their parents for THAT reason among others...WHO cares??? If it were not for OLD folks YOUNG folks wouldn't be here...We'll be OK cause GOD will take care of us AND so will OUR kids...LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH & BE HAPPY !!!!

silentwings
silentwings 06/28/08 - 10:58 am
DO IT dlta, and

DO IT dlta, and freedombelle--I'm all for you. If we live long enough, we will be there too!

jack
jack 06/28/08 - 10:59 am
What the writer obviously

What the writer obviously likes is socialism as introduced to us by FDR and Eleanor. The real reason we got our of the depression was WW II when everyone was employed or in the military. As for the Hitlery cartoon, you can't debase or disgrace a Cliton.

minime
minime 06/28/08 - 11:08 am
sorry, Lonnie, just gotta

sorry, Lonnie, just gotta chime in here. Hillary is not a joke and was very serious about her political appointment... but her life (& style) are a three-ring circus. thanks again, Rick.

dani
dani 06/28/08 - 11:39 am
If the cartoon is the one

If the cartoon is the one that says "the last one to admit that Obama is the nominee, please turn out the light" and shows Hilary hitting the light switch, it's just a cute cartoon. Nothing distasteful about it, perhaps Ms Lonnie didn't understand the message.

gagirl40
gagirl40 06/28/08 - 11:54 am
For you folks talking about

For you folks talking about MR. LONNIE REEVES being an old and senile "woman"...he is a man not a woman! Now who looks old and senile? First Lonnie is a mans name and secondly he clearly states, "I was one of those men." Do you people even read the editorials or just jump on the bandwagons of your politically like minded friends?

silentwings
silentwings 06/28/08 - 12:21 pm
gaga, do the math like

gaga, do the math like someone already has. To be "one of those men", he would have been one of them somewhere between the ages of 8-17. You Think?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/08 - 12:41 pm
gagi, the "Ms Lonnie" comment

gagi, the "Ms Lonnie" comment was made by me as a comment on his helpless whining. I'm sorry my sarcasm confused so many. I believe my closing comment was to wish a government run "reservation of protection" for all who feel the same as Ms Lonnie.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/28/08 - 12:43 pm
gagirl40, as soon as the

gagirl40, as soon as the Reichpublicans see that it is in defense of Clinton they abandon any further reading and go on the attack to try to diminish the person. SILENTWINGS, lots of folks that were between the ages of 12 and 16 had to work to feed thier families ("put food on thier familes" as Dudya Bush puts it) during the Great Depression that Republicans caused in the 30's. You would know that if you studied history or read about politics of the past.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/28/08 - 12:45 pm
PT, you have no respect for

PT, you have no respect for the Greatest Generation.

silentwings
silentwings 06/28/08 - 01:06 pm
You are right bo, but I doubt

You are right bo, but I doubt they were working for the ccc as he stated, maybe so tho.

Rose
Rose 06/28/08 - 02:34 pm
crackertroy poor old lady?

crackertroy poor old lady? You did not read the story. Open your eyes and read it again.

Rose
Rose 06/28/08 - 02:39 pm
gagirl40 I see you set them

gagirl40 I see you set them straight.

sunnysmiles11
sunnysmiles11 06/28/08 - 03:55 pm
way to go gagirl.. grown

way to go gagirl.. grown people on here knocking their elders.. you ought to be ashamed of your immature and infantile comments. your lack of respect for Mr. Lonnie's letter showcases your lack of character..