Attorney arrested on drug charges

A well-known Augusta criminal defense attorney was arrested Monday afternoon and is facing a felony drug charge.

Defense attorney George Bush was arrested at a downtown bar Monday.  Special
Special
Defense attorney George Bush was arrested at a downtown bar Monday.

George deVallon Bush, 41, of the 2400 block of Walton Way, was taken into custody at a Broad Street bar as the result of an ongoing investigation, Sheriff Ronnie Strength said Monday night.

He is charged with possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, according to jail records. Sheriff Strength said the arrest was part of a two-week investigation by the federal Drug Enforcement Agency and Richmond County sheriff's narcotics agents.

"Mr. Bush was arrested without incident about 5 p.m. at Ballroom Billiards, 978 Broad Street, with a half-ounce of cocaine in his pocket," Sheriff Strength said.

"That's a little more than typically used for personal use," said Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. Greg Meagher. He could not provide any more details about the ongoing case.

The sheriff said Mr. Bush's $10,000 bond was set, and the attorney was released from jail Monday evening.

According to the State Bar of Georgia Web site, an attorney convicted of a felony is considered in violation of the Georgia Rules of Professional Conduct and could face a maximum penalty of disbarment.

Mr. Bush is a graduate of Vanderbilt University and the University of Georgia. He opened his Fourth Street law practice in 1994.

In November 2000, Mr. Bush was featured in Mademoiselle magazine in a beef-cake style election spoof about the Republican presidential candidate who shares his name.

Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/24/08 - 04:44 am
Very sad. This guy obviously

Very sad. This guy obviously became alittle too chummy with the dregs of society he was defending. Instead of the cocaine dealers being his customers, he became one of theirs. If it's true that he planned to distribute the cocaine, I'm quite sure he wasn't planning on selling the stuff to the guys standing on the corner in the project. You know there are some guys at the country club who are worried that Bush will name names!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/24/08 - 05:42 am
According to Ben Harbin,

According to Ben Harbin, being charged and being convicted are two different things. Let's see who George Bush knows.

sliique
sliique 06/24/08 - 06:09 am
"According to Ben Harbin,

"According to Ben Harbin, being charged and being convicted are two different things."

I don't know Ben Harbin from a can of paint but....He IS RIGHT!

Freeman
Freeman 06/24/08 - 06:32 am
Just more proof to the Bible

Just more proof to the Bible statement, "Al men are liars."

Freeman
Freeman 06/24/08 - 06:33 am
uh, that should be, "All

uh, that should be, "All men..."

1941
1941 06/24/08 - 06:41 am
I want to see how much time

I want to see how much time he gets!!!! He is no diffrent from the people he was defending.What diffrence does it make if he was using or selling? He had it on his person, and the amount say that he has to do at least ten years.Ask all the drug users and the drug dealers sitting in jail, how much time they have to do. He is worse, because now the same people he was defending has the right to a new trial, because he thought he was better than those he defended. He deserve the same time as anyone else.

alsoconcerned
alsoconcerned 06/24/08 - 07:07 am
I think the Drug Enforcement

I think the Drug Enforcement Agency should keep their eyes fixed right there because I'm sure Mr. Bush is not alone in what he did. There are many more out there and it's just a matter of time before they all get caught. They have look beyond the suit and ties.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 06/24/08 - 07:11 am
nah Freeman. All men are

nah Freeman. All men are human. Hopefully he'll get help
for his addiction. It could happen to any one!!!!!!!!1

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 06/24/08 - 07:18 am
Well atleast he's still

Well atleast he's still alive... I can imagine the headline if this was a drug deal gone bad... especially if he had been in a black neighborhood to get his hit/fix/portion to sell. There are a lot of white men like him doing drugs and selling them. This yet confirms another fact it's not just black men doing this.

usnvet
usnvet 06/24/08 - 07:18 am
The legacy of Burglar Boy

The legacy of Burglar Boy Nixon lives on. Long before you people thought you had a right to anything that individual drug use deprives you of; the american citizen had a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Your government and police use drugs, but they are using them to make felons out of those who wouldn't otherwise have criminal records. A sting? What a joke.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 06/24/08 - 07:22 am
LOL to bad he got CAUGHT in

LOL to bad he got CAUGHT in the sting... what a dummy.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 06/24/08 - 07:31 am
If he's a lawyer, he's a

If he's a lawyer, he's a crook and a liar as well as druggie. I do not understand why with his credentials that allow him to lie and steal, he would be so dumb as to sell or use illegal drugs.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 06/24/08 - 07:38 am
This would make me question

This would make me question if the other cases he had would need to be redone.

luckie
luckie 06/24/08 - 07:50 am
I think that a whole lot more

I think that a whole lot more people are using than we realize. If not illegal drugs, they are on prescribed drugs. If you watch these politicians, how in the world can they go at it like they do day in and day out. Look at their ages. They do not have that much stamina without some kind of boost. Maybe I'm wrong but I watch and I say - give me some of that energy. I don't think this attorney had any intent to sell. If anything, he probably went there to get it and that is why he had so much on him. We need to catch the ones that have brief cases full of ounces! I hope that he gets help for his addiction. And I hope he gets probation and frequent drug tests. When you are in court alot and you have to work on your cases, you have to burn the midnight oil. He was tired and needed help!!!!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/24/08 - 07:55 am
If it's all true and he

If it's all true and he wasn't set up, hope they catch them ALL. I was glad to see James Benjamin Allen finally got caught again in February, but for some reason it's not been newsworthy. Only a local talk radio show made mention of it. Jeff Beauregard finally got arrested again, too, but that wasn't newsworthy either, instead the media made a big fuss about the ex-girlfriend that he claimed was harassing him got arrested and neglected to mention he was, too. Weird. By the way, no need to go saying it's because they're white, because they're not.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/24/08 - 07:56 am
Is this supposed to be a

Is this supposed to be a surprise to anyone, heck their are alot of white preppies on drugs, always have been, it's just that the police are always trying to do bust on the other side of town. Coke is usually the drug of choice for people in Bush's social circles....

usnvet
usnvet 06/24/08 - 07:57 am
The legacy of Burglar Boy

426Hemi
426Hemi 06/24/08 - 08:04 am
I've got 20 pounds of Folgers

I've got 20 pounds of Folgers stashed in my closet. Typical use? Hope I'm not arrested for hoarding or intent to distribute based on "That's a little more than typically used for personal use." I'm not defending the man, but "personal use" is very subjective, unless there is a concrete limit to how much cocain one can have to be termed "for personal use." Enlighten me. Maybe he just can't get enough coke!

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 06/24/08 - 08:05 am
usnvet no he is a joke, I

usnvet no he is a joke, I know other lawyers, augusta citizens, vanderbilt alum are laughing at him. And Tech PROBATION.. I hope not, he needs JAIL time, but he probably will be given probation.

karmakills123
karmakills123 06/24/08 - 08:11 am
Another bottom feeding

Another bottom feeding scumbag lawyer gone .....YES !!

unchained60
unchained60 06/24/08 - 08:13 am
I think they arrested the

I think they arrested the wrong George Bush

kai@reasontostand.org
kai@reasontostand.org 06/24/08 - 08:13 am
Using drugs to escape reality

Using drugs to escape reality is morally wrong, no matter who you are or what the drug is (legal or illegal). It's not just some contrived law designed "to make felons out of those who wouldn't otherwise have criminal records." its to let people know that becoming a self-absorbed pleasure-seeking parasite is not acceptable. Even though judges and cops may do these things as well, and may receive lighter sentences by comparison does not make the offense any less substantial. A wrong isn't made more right merely by the presence of more wrongs.

WW1949
WW1949 06/24/08 - 08:19 am
This is sad because Mr. Bush

This is sad because Mr. Bush comes from a very nice family. This goes to prove that drugs are everywhere and are very adictive. I doubt he was selling because his family pockets are very very deep. The brickyards in Augusta were owned in part by their family and sold to Boral for a huge sum.

niqhtriderrs
niqhtriderrs 06/24/08 - 08:20 am
unchained60--and I KNOW you

unchained60--and I KNOW you are an idiot!

stewartist
stewartist 06/24/08 - 08:21 am
It's always sad when this

It's always sad when this happens to anyone, but he's a grown man and knew exactly what he was doing. We'll see how our crooked justice system handles this one.

redapples
redapples 06/24/08 - 08:35 am
This goes to show you that

This goes to show you that there is a fine line between living your work and becoming your work.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 06/24/08 - 08:35 am
See..this proves I was right

See..this proves I was right all along...I will never vote for George Bush as president again...I knew the man was responsible for all things evil. Now I bet you will believe he lied about the war, probably got coke for that too. And you know those rumors about him and Condi...what do you think now????
And if Cheney was in on it too, no wonder he shot all those people in the butt....Obama 08....

Justareader
Justareader 06/24/08 - 08:53 am
I see our tax paying dollars

I see our tax paying dollars invested in the DEA with local officials to prepare a sting, which tells me that there was 14 days, many hours, and men, using $$$$$, to arrest ONE prominent attorney? Doesnt a sting mean, several buys or so on, with several people? Should it read a sting or a setup?
Did the stuff just fall into his pocket? Sounds too unreal to me. But then again, it seems our officers are above and beyond the law themselves, they can use ANY tactics, legal or not, to harrass people, young people. old people. whatever, and its ok. Appraently Mr Bush ruffled someones feathers and this is payback? Then again, I know for a fact, that what is said on the news, and in the papers does not have to be true, just stated by an officer. I dont think people should be tried in the media first, they use that to cause defamation of peoples characters, it can be total lies, so please, dont judge by what you read or see on the news, it can be totally fabricated, I KNOW.

WW1949
WW1949 06/24/08 - 09:01 am
Just a reader, you are so so

Just a reader, you are so so right.

PRAYING
PRAYING 06/24/08 - 09:15 am
You have a point Justareader,

You have a point Justareader, but I'm willing to bet Bush has some involvement with drugs, they usually don't try to pin a drug charge on you if there isn't some involvement. I know from personal experience with my ex-husband that you can be setup by those that are supposed to "protect and serve". They will go to any length to "get their man". I don't have a lot of faith in our judicial system because I know how corrupt it can be. I thank God that there is a God and that He will ultimately judge everyone,including law enforcement officers, probation officers, and judges. It all goes back to man's fallen nature which is called sin and we ALL sin and come short.