Who takes such hateful words to heart?

Thanks to Barack Obama and Michael Pfleger, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright controversy will not die.

But the problem is not the racist comments Wright or Pfleger make. The problem is the folks jumping and whooping in the background, and in the pews. Apparently not one parishioner complained or walked out. Instead they all went to work the next day -- perhaps sitting alongside whites and other races on the buses or trains, then interacting with whites and other races at work all week long. All the while they are secretly seething inside with anger from the racist comments made by Wright or Pfleger. As they share coffee with the other races they are thinking about how whites supposedly hate them, keep them down and try to poison them with drugs and AIDS. How do they do it?

The real problem with Wright is the hatred that those who attend his "sermons" must secretly hold inside. Does it ever get expressed in their actions? Does it affect the way they hire people? Does it affect the way they treat other races? Do they use whatever power their positions of authority in the community give them to correct the "wrongs" supposedly done to them by the other races?

You see, racism is not a one-sided issue. Wouldn't it have been great if Wright and Pfleger used the words of Jesus: "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. ... Do to others as you would have them do to you. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. ... But love your enemies, do good to them. ... Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

Wouldn't that have been great?

Gary J. Heffner, Augusta

DrGunby68
DrGunby68 06/24/08 - 04:18 am
Crazy logic...ok, racism is

Crazy logic...ok, racism is two-sided. Love your enemies...has this country loved black people since they got here. Blacks were fed the "you be a good slave now and love yo' massa" line as if Christianity itself advocated it...Heff, go away. The Repugs know they will lose this year. The Prez, the Senate and the House..the rantings of desperate people...Imagine this...a Repug defending Hillary. Pfleger was talking about the entitlement that white people feel in America...it's called white privilege and is widely acknowledged in academic America as a real and prevalent phenomena. Why defend her?...b/c she's WHITE...even if you disagree with her politically.

christian134
christian134 06/24/08 - 04:56 am
Now Dr.G that is the what I

Now Dr.G that is the what I expected from the likes of you and others of the black persuasion...To listen and believe the gospel of "Rev.s" Wright, Jackson, etc. when they preach Black Theology as gospel and then carry the hatred on into your homes but present a facade to the world. What they have failed to tell you is that you are what you listen to.....Your insidious hatred will come back and bite you in the behinds one day...As for as white privilege goodness gracious man Black privilege surpassed whites a long time ago...For the past, oh maybe 40 odd years the white has bent over backwards to try and repair what our ancestors did to your ancestors only to be thrown under the bus for our efforts...My people never did a thing to yours as far as I know and quite frankly the churches I have attended over the span of my lifetime have never preached hate the black, yellow or purple man because God says it is the right and just thing to do....Now when racial tensions become a seething cauldron remember the words of the letter writer Gary Heffner for they are truth something obviously you and your fellow blacks-not all- have not listened to in your Sunday meetings...

christian134
christian134 06/24/08 - 05:09 am
Oh by the by, I don't hate I

Oh by the by, I don't hate I just have no use for the laziness of a group of people who live off the backs of others all the while demanding more and more..That doesn't make me a hater or a racist is does however define my actions and thoughts as a bigot...A person who has total belief in what I believe to be truth and very intolerant of others who take advantage of the system through there obvious belief that they have the right because of the suffering someone 100 years or more endured....Now that is what I believe...I also believe that God is a God for all people and that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal life and will forgive all people their sins if they just repent...If people believe in that they will not longer see things in terms of blacks, whites, Jews or others but will see each other as brothers and sisters in the good fight the Christian army....I concede that I have allowed my views to fuel my thinking but you need to remember that all of the nastiness, hatred, self-righteous warped thinking has in itself lit the fires of racial divide we are currently living...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/24/08 - 05:55 am
DrGunby, when you avoid race

DrGunby, when you avoid race you make intelligent comments. Your 5:18 post supports this comment. You come across as supporting the very thing you claim to hate....just in reverse. ????

Reality
Reality 06/24/08 - 06:11 am
When you give a child

When you give a child everything he/she wants, they complain about what they don't have....Same principal, send them to time out, with out government assistance for a while.......

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 06/24/08 - 06:16 am
I think this is a time for me

I think this is a time for me to be silent. God says that silence is wise, and even a fool in his silence will become wise.

shivas
shivas 06/24/08 - 06:23 am
This is what the failed

This is what the failed right-wing must resort to. Good luck.

S.C. Dawg
S.C. Dawg 06/24/08 - 06:46 am
Gunby, your hatred of whites

Gunby, your hatred of whites is what Fast Eddie Obama is counting on to get him elected. Regardless of the outcome, you will wind up under the bus with everyone else.

griesella
griesella 06/24/08 - 06:48 am
"This is what the failed

"This is what the failed right-wing must resort to". Truer words were never spoken. We don't dare criticize or even offer a suggestion ,if it can even remotely be turned around by the racists and made into a racial issue. Poor Don Imus, in trouble again. The thing to do, I guess is ignore everyone but whites. Have the news and talk shows about white people and for the sake of your right to make a living, don't even admit you know anyone but whites.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/24/08 - 07:02 am
I see why people think you

I see why people think you hypocritical Christian134. By pointing out the failings of the Black Theology movement you seem to be missing the point of what you are preaching. Love your enemies and pray for them applies to you too (and me). You seem preoccupied with the issue in an unhealthy way. I think the Black community needs to learn forgiveness, and the white community needs to realize that we do have a responsiblity to help right the wrongs of the past. The govt changing laws has been great, but I wonder if we had implemented a program of modest economic support to the black community in the 60's would problems of education, crime, drug usage, etc that plaque the community be as big a problem-I'm not talking welfare but economic development. Just a thought that many would disagree but I wonder if such a program would have more than paid for itself by now-no welfare, no crime, etc. Food for thought. Dang we bail out the Airline industry and what not all the time because of the thought that it will benefit us. We also rebuilt Germany, Japan, and Iraq and these countries were our enemies.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/24/08 - 07:07 am
Racism has always been one

Racism has always been one sided, there is no way you can be a racist unless you are white.....yeah right......What gets me about the whole issue is that if this had been a white minister spewing this hate Jessie Jackson and Sharpton would be on the tv trying to get him expelled from the country. Racism is one sided only because blacks are the only ones who are entitled to be racist. It's ok for black ministers or black comedians to get up and cut down whites but God forbid if one white person says one word wrong and hurts a blacks feelings then it is a big deal. WE all need to stop being so frigging sensitive. I agree with S.C. Dawg, I don't think that Obama is going to do anything special for the blacks in this country, I think that he is going to treat everyone the same, so if you are voting for him hoping for special benefits then you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

christian134
christian134 06/24/08 - 07:12 am
That's right Bizarro I must

That's right Bizarro I must love my enemies but I don't have to support their meaningless hate filled views that promote the very thing that the goes against Christianity....In other words I must not lie down with the dogs are my children's children will suffer greatly...Besides if I am hypocritical to you and others then so be it...Like I have stated before to others...Clean your backyard and I will continue to clean up mine. Until then the notion of "Preachers" teaching that Black Theology is right and just will continued to be condemned by myself.....:-)

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 06/24/08 - 07:17 am
Here is an idea, lets have

Here is an idea, lets have all "whites" leave this country to the blacks, lets take our money, our churches, our businesses and the skills and labor that we put forth. lets see how well it will stand. Or remove all the blacks and what they give to society. What do you think the lesson learned might teach you?

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/24/08 - 07:19 am
Christian, Hey man I'm not

Christian, Hey man I'm not judging or preaching just an observation why I think people give you grief. It is not our problem to worry about the BLT movement. We love em and pray and let God deal with it. Don't try to circumvent or adopt his authority with righteous indignation. We don't have the authority or capacity for righteous indignation, but God does. wRight? hee,hee. Yep that applies to the good Rev too.

pah4r
pah4r 06/24/08 - 07:21 am
If only people would stop

If only people would stop living their lives off the backs, sufferings of others that occurred before they were even a "gleam" in their father's eyes maybe we as a nation could move forward to a better place for all.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/24/08 - 07:25 am
Right devilishlymad67.

Right devilishlymad67. Apartheid was good too, and now the black folk can't run the country them white folk built eh? Justus, Dr.Gundy, Hypocrite man I owe all of you guys an apology. You were right there are too many white bigots, and yes I'm probably one too. There is just no good in any of us. Lord help us all. I say let's remove love and peace from the dictionary, because both apparently have become extinct.

christian134
christian134 06/24/08 - 07:27 am
As Christians Bizarro we must

As Christians Bizarro we must pray for them and give them over to God but we have a duty to point them in the right direction and that direction must be towards God and Jesus Christ....Like I said we must love our enemies we just don't have to sit back with our mouths shut and hands folded when others are being led down the wrong path in life...I don't advocate shoving it down their throats but I do promote the telling of the truth whenever the opportunity comes along...I have no use for any form of belief or teachings such as Black Theology, Klan teachings, etc.....They promote one race and one culture over all others and that is just wrong....

niqhtriderrs
niqhtriderrs 06/24/08 - 07:27 am
I think the white population

I think the white population of this country and the US government have done enough, no, gone overboard in making ammends for mistakes of the past. Time for the black man to get over it and start supporting this country instead of continuing to want the handout!

griesella
griesella 06/24/08 - 07:42 am
pahr4, Who are these people

pahr4, Who are these people making a living off the backs and sufferings of others?

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 06/24/08 - 07:44 am
Dr Gunby, "White privilege"

Dr Gunby, "White privilege" is a creation of the race hustlers who need an excuse to stay in business. I have been white most of my life and have not ONCE thought myself privileged above anyone else. The Bible says in Galatians 3:27-29, "for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." It is time for believers of all races to take these words to heart. We do not come to Christ as a White or Black man or woman but we come (all of us) as dirty, filthy sinners who deserve no privilege but death. Thanks be to God that He delivers us and changes hateful hearts to those who love their neighbors as themselves.

thelistener
thelistener 06/24/08 - 07:50 am
I read everyday please try to

I read everyday please try to play nice

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/24/08 - 07:55 am
I have often reflected the

I have often reflected the same nightriderrs, but lately I've been rethinking the issue. I think about how much money we spend on bailing out industry-like airlines and automobiles. I think we have destroyed and then rebuilt Germany and Japan and now Iraq. Has there been a return for such giving. I think changing the laws for equality is great and does in theory create a level playing field, but changing hearts is a different issue. We pay now for crime, drugs, prison, welfare, etc that is a problem in the black community (I'm not denying whites too but that is off topic). I wonder if back in the 60's if we had implemented a modest economic development plan would the black community now have the same problems. I tend to believe no, but hindsight is 20/20 and we can't live in the past nor can I predict alternate futures.
We could have called it an economic stimulus package-hee,hee,hee.

WW1949
WW1949 06/24/08 - 07:59 am
Such BS. The Rev. Wright,

Such BS. The Rev. Wright, his side kick and their ideas. I don't pay any attention to anything they have to say and I believe smart people don't either.

yak11
yak11 06/24/08 - 08:05 am
LOL...I wonder how many here

LOL...I wonder how many here have read Thomas Sowell and his study of the Irish Experience in America? Probably none on the left (it doesn't have pictures).

niqhtriderrs
niqhtriderrs 06/24/08 - 08:20 am
yak1 and you can bet your big

yak1 and you can bet your big A, none of his ethnic brothers!!!

niqhtriderrs
niqhtriderrs 06/24/08 - 08:23 am
Just saw on CNN where (I

Just saw on CNN where (I believe it is E St Louis) the black population pitched a little riot when FEMA officials showed up with voucher forms they would have to fill out instead of just giving them the checks---typical! Can you imagine what would happen to the big cities if govn't giveways ended this instant?????? Scary!

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/24/08 - 08:30 am
I like Sowell's anti-Marxism.

I like Sowell's anti-Marxism. I thought his premise behind "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" is the most strange take. That is has nothing to do with white and black but Northern and Southern Rednecks. That Northern blacks tried to keep Southern Redneck blacks down south-the same for northern whites and southern whties). It is hard to believe he is black.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 06/24/08 - 08:46 am
Read the article by Thomas

Read the article by Thomas Sowell titled "An Old Newness". This is an interesting take, by a black man, on the presidency of barack hussein obama.

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 06/24/08 - 08:55 am
Bizarro the point i was

Bizarro the point i was trying to make, and you proved you are a racist, is that we need each other. Each offers something that makes this country great.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/24/08 - 09:31 am
Devilish, There is only one

Devilish, There is only one race-the human race. There is no such thing as biological race so I don't believe in races nor racism. Ah after re-reading your comment I see I did misunderstand your point-Sorry My Bad! I thought you were making a reference to observations since apartheid has ended, and you were doing the opposite. My mistake. We agree then we are all Americans and one race-the human race.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...