Graduations should remain respectable

Wow! Arresting people who make fools of themselves at a graduation. What a concept!

Our son graduated nursing school here, and I was very embarrassed for him. The graduate just before him had a family who must have been raised in a zoo. When her name was called they jumped up, hooted and hollered, danced around, yelled and even set off air horns. I suppose little Miss What's-Her-Name was the only one in the history of the family who had ever been to school -- at least it seems so from the action of her family. The dean of the school asked that there be no such zoo antics at least 20 times, to no avail.

I am now convinced that there should be two ceremonies held: one for normal families, and one for the folks from the zoo. You know who you are.

John Gasko, Martinez

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/21/08 - 05:35 am
I recommend Tasers. Wouldn't

I recommend Tasers. Wouldn't you just love to watch the offenders light up like christmas trees falling to the ground in a spasm. Then just drag them out on the lawn and leave them. Heck, I'd pay to see it.

papag_wchs
papag_wchs 06/21/08 - 06:14 am
I am a strong supporter of

I am a strong supporter of civility at graduation having sponsored/been in charge of numerous graduations. However, I understand the need to celebrate for some families. For some, it is the first person in their family to graduate. For some, it was a struggle to finish and the family is happy and supportive. Yes, we need to be polite and respectful but I've never seen anyone act like animals in a zoo. I am offended by the comment. To arrest someone or "taser" someone for being happy is ridiculous and absurd. I think that there should be a little bit more understanding in these types of situations.

CH
CH 06/21/08 - 06:22 am
Papaq, you're right...I've

Papaq, you're right...I've never seen anyone act like animals at a zoo at graduations either. The truth is, I've seen people act worse than animals, like there's nobody around but themselves.

Decent behavior has become out of fashion in our society. It is nothing now to go to stores and see clerks being cursed by people with young children by their sides. If my dad were still around, he would say that its just another indication of the sorry state of our world! Bring on the criticism folks, but you know its true!

christian134
christian134 06/21/08 - 06:22 am
There is such a thing as

There is such a thing as civility and courtesy when one is in a public setting which obviously many many are not acquainted....I have attended many graduations and needless to say I have been surrounded by uncivilized behavior as someone's behind being shook so hard along with other body parts and screaming out either unintelligible words to other vulgar utterances...Glad to see someone finally had the fortitude to do something about this disgusting behavior...

avidreader
avidreader 06/21/08 - 06:26 am
Air horns, whistles, New

Air horns, whistles, New Year's Eve gadgets, and shrill screams. I've heard them all, and the people who indulge in these acts of madness are quite offensive. However, for the past two years, the RCBOE police officers were scattered throughout the Civic Center and did an excellent job of maintaining civility. I was pleased.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/21/08 - 06:54 am
I have been to numerous

I have been to numerous graduations- my own and numerous family members. Few, not all, do carry on. I'm not against being happy or supportive (all the people are there for that reason), but when you are cordially asked to do something so the activities can proceed in a timely manner, then the offenders are wasting my time. The majority obeying and the few arrogant who could give a [filtered word]. Tuck Fhem!!! These are the kinds of people who likely break all kinds of etiquette and laws, because it just don't apply to them. Well I could just beat them to death and be much happier but I thought the taser a humane idea. Hee,hee,hee. These are the kinds of people who likely have never heard the world "altruism". Perhaps they should read a Purpose Drive Life by Rick Warren, because it is not about them. So I agree there should be some understanding but by the offenders not the majority. What a weak argument papq, and your being offended likely paints you an offender eh. Afraid of Tasers? Maybe a good shock would jump start your brain.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/21/08 - 07:38 am
If the civilized people would

If the civilized people would just boycott these government school graduation ceremonies the ill will would ease a bit. The civilized people could hold private, invitation only graduation ceremonies and the uncivilized ones could whoop and holler till they fall down at the government-paid ceremony.

Safe at Home
Safe at Home 06/21/08 - 07:58 am
Little Lamb you seem to think

Little Lamb you seem to think that the "civilized" people should just stay home. It is the "wild bunch" that should just stay home and have a "private" graduation in their back yard. Then they can swing from trees and whoop and hollar all they want while the rest of polite society is enjoying the graduation.

bone
bone 06/21/08 - 08:52 am
i had posted a similar idea

i had posted a similar idea to LL a few weeks ago. i don't listen to neil boortz. does this mean i channel him?

Waymore
Waymore 06/21/08 - 08:56 am
I too understand that family

I too understand that family members are proud of their loved ones accomplishments. But, every other graduate has worked as hard, if not harder, to earn their degree or diploma. Yelling, screaming, and carrying on are inappropriate. I would be a might bit angry if my name, or a loved ones name, could not be heard because of he buffoonery of some people. If you want to carry on like uneducated dolts, hold a party somewhere and do your yelling and screaming there. It seems that more and more of society doesn't give a crap about anything but themselves. I recently attended a graduation, and the number of young children present was unbelievable. There are some things that small children should not be taken to, and a graduation is one. How stupid does a person have to be to take a small child to a boring event like a graduation and expect the child to be quiet? I know that people think that their child is precious, but those of us sitting around a whining, crying child don't.

SoonerorLater
SoonerorLater 06/21/08 - 09:08 am
That was the exact same scene

That was the exact same scene last night at the
Bell Auditorium for the graduation of Augusta Tech. Screams, yelling, air horns, jumping up and down. You could not hear what their accomplishments were, and for the person right behind them you could not hear their name or their accomplishments. I commented to my wife that you could tell that was probably the first person to go to an institution of higher learning, the family was rude and unrefined in their behaviors with no regard for others.

dani
dani 06/21/08 - 09:46 am
The whooping crowd enjoys

The whooping crowd enjoys upsetting the caring adults. The more disgusted you get with their lack of social grace , the louder the dum-dums get. And NO! If you ignore them they will not go away.

jack
jack 06/21/08 - 09:54 am
Sense, LL is one of the few

Sense, LL is one of the few on here that makes sense. You sure as hell don't, and are certainly not "uncommon" when it comes to sense. More like common as in trash.

jack
jack 06/21/08 - 09:56 am
Such outrageous conduct at a

Such outrageous conduct at a graduation should be dealt with severely. Let the cops escort their azzes out and embarrass the graduate they make fools of themselves over.

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 06/21/08 - 10:18 am
ok let me start by saying the

ok let me start by saying the monkey and tree references have to stop I was at the tech graduation last night and was ashamed how some acted it was ignorant and uncalled for. Now I will say there is nothing wrong with showing support but do it shut up and sit down so the next person can here there parents show support for them yelling through three four five names for your child and being rude isn't right showing support for that moment and shutting the he'll up Is fine.

anotherlook
anotherlook 06/21/08 - 10:21 am
Sometimes I wonder if the

Sometimes I wonder if the personality of the school could dictate the propriety or impropriety of celebratory behavior. For instance, I went to three graduations this year: (1) Mercer University School of Medicine; (2) Georgia State University; and (3) Westside High School. The graduation at Mercer was very orderly, each M.D. candidate's name was called and the ceremony itself was very elegant and refined. At GSU there were thousands graduating at the GA dome. Although only the doctoral degree candidates were the ones whose names were called, there were names of the other graduates scrolling by on a banner. Concession stands were open and everything from personal size pizza's to giant pretzels were being sold. The graduation culminated with a HUGE confetti drop and fireworks with a lot of accompanying raucous behavior. Westside's graduation was celebratory as well, but not inordinately so. For the most part, attendees were moderate in their behavior with the exception of one or two like the lady who loudly screamed that dinner at Ryans would be on her. Although all the attendees were equally joyous, in my view it seems that the school's personality set the tone for the day.

Dan White 06/21/08 - 11:19 am
The idea is spot on to have

The idea is spot on to have two graduation services - one for the animals and one for the humans who know respect, social graces, and follow the requests of the school to behave. Better yet, pastors or a pastor should offer graduation services at their church. Graduates could by the school office, get their diploma, and then have a formal, respectable, pomp and circumstance graduation at a church. It would be a great ministry if just some church and pastor would sieze this opportunity.

Dan White 06/21/08 - 11:25 am
If rude and obnoxious people

If rude and obnoxious people disrupted a public worship service, couldn't the cops be called and have them removed and even arrested for disrupting an assembly or disturbing the peace or some offense that surely must be on the books somewhere. Couldn't schools that want order, pomp, and circumstance do the same thing? The rowdy ones like GSU, who cares? At least the attendees know what is coming before they get there. But, I'm old school and think dignity and reverence should accompany this solemn and happy occasion.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/21/08 - 01:01 pm
Thanks Mr. Gasko, Waymore,

Thanks Mr. Gasko, Waymore, RJH, and dani, and all the others who spoke up for considerate behavior and good manners at graduation.

lilging
lilging 06/21/08 - 01:39 pm
maybe some of these folks

maybe some of these folks should have gone to midland valley high school graduation and gotten some pointers even with some of the controversy surrounding the activities concerning the year book. it was one of the most organized and curteous graduations i have gone to in a long time. job well done midland valley.

niqhtraider
niqhtraider 06/21/08 - 03:34 pm
You can cure some illnesses

You can cure some illnesses and change some behaviors. There is no cure for stupidity and idiocracy. I could say more, but will leave it a that!

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/21/08 - 06:11 pm
I like Dirty Harry's

I like Dirty Harry's approach. Pull out your 44 mag and say: Are yuh feeling lucky punk? And then just shoot em anyways. Hee,hee,hee.

sarahs mom
sarahs mom 06/22/08 - 12:31 am
First of all children are no

First of all children are no longer raised to have morals and manners it all statrts at home. But I also I believe a manners and ettiquette class should be part of every childs education. Manners and civility are traits that should be taught at home and reinforced in the school system. My son attends a military academy where etiquette is a required class. It should start before in the elementary schools and go thorugh high school just one hour a week or 30 mins a week.They should include this class in order for kids to graduate so we are putting out kids who have a clue how to interact in the real world.

City to consider emergency plan

The Richmond County Emer­gency Management Agency has drafted changes to emergency operating procedures. Overlooked, however, were several pages of emergency contact data riddled with ...