New library design unveiled

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/08 - 06:18 am
It looks better to me. City

It looks better to me. City buildings should always set the example by preserving the historic character of an area.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 06:33 am
Hey, went from Black to

Hey, went from Black to White-call the ACLU!!!!!!!I smell discrimination. Hee,hee,hee.

paulwheeler
paulwheeler 06/19/08 - 06:41 am
Well if this is better I'm

Well if this is better I'm Santa Clause! If this is what it takes to silence all of the small minded wannabes so that a new library can be built then I think it's the most beautiful building ever.
It really has a historical look and should blend well with the eclectic architectural style of that area.

jgdarling
jgdarling 06/19/08 - 06:46 am
Better, maybe. Ugly,

Better, maybe. Ugly, definitely.

biggdawgmoneyclip
biggdawgmoneyclip 06/19/08 - 07:10 am
Will this library include

Will this library include bunk beds for the vagrants of Augusta to crash?

karmakills123
karmakills123 06/19/08 - 07:14 am
Just build it !!!! Oh and

Just build it !!!! Oh and your right biggdawg...hope they will keep the "non-readers" out .

mojo
mojo 06/19/08 - 07:36 am
What's historical about this

What's historical about this design? There's a slight (very slight) nod toward the art deco design style with the corner design but the rest of the building is simply modern construction. There appears to be no particular design style in mind...it's not Gothic, Victorian, Georgian, Classic, neoclassic or any other recognized style. We needed a historical preservation commission to select a completely unhistorical style?

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 07:43 am
Why bother most of Augusta is

Why bother most of Augusta is too ignorant to know how to read or would bother to use it if they do. Hee,hee,hee,hee.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/19/08 - 07:46 am
Come on, Mojo. It's just a

Come on, Mojo. It's just a library. It needs to be boxy to hold the books. It needs to be functional, not pretty.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/19/08 - 07:47 am
Those little trees along the

Those little trees along the sidewalk will get bigger as time goes by unless the drought kills them.

toppergem
toppergem 06/19/08 - 07:54 am
Just build the library

Just build the library already. The Historical Society made all that noise and got very little action in return. THe building did not change that much in outward appearance. It is still very modern and boxy in design.

asustudent75
asustudent75 06/19/08 - 08:11 am
$22 million dollars for a

$22 million dollars for a library that will turn out to be just as bad as the one that is there now?!? I think the money needs to go to tearing down more of the abandoned buildings in the downtown area! Everytime I go through downtown, realize I said go through, because I never stop, I just find it digusting and awful looking! Downtown looks dirty and run-down! Augusta has a LONG way to go! Obviously Savannah and Charleston are doing something right, and tourist dollars are proof of that!

deekster
deekster 06/19/08 - 08:57 am
Savannah and Charleston

Savannah and Charleston actually have a history. What a load of "you know what" by local developers and their politico buddies. Augusta's history centers on May 1970. " A time that will forever paint the portrait of Augusta".

deekster
deekster 06/19/08 - 08:59 am
Savannah and Charleston had

Savannah and Charleston had something to work with, a "sound reputation". Sound leadership, not a circus of idiots and "wanabees".

deekster
deekster 06/19/08 - 09:03 am
Much a do about nothing.

Much a do about nothing. Ever town has a library, so Augusta has a library. We have a jail, a courthouse, a civic center. All are "management nightmares".

deekster
deekster 06/19/08 - 09:42 am
"Tear down paradise and put

"Tear down paradise and put up a parking lot". "When you are low and life is making you lonely, you can always go, DOWNTOWN".

iletuknow
iletuknow 06/19/08 - 10:31 am
Libraries are a relic of the

Libraries are a relic of the past.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/19/08 - 10:35 am
Charleston was a rundown,

Charleston was a rundown, dilapidated town not too many years ago. They also built an ugly pink walled library on Marion Square which they later tore down completely and replaced with a historic design. Augusta is coming around, but the keeping the historic character of the town is paramount. The Charleston Preservation (Historic) Society has lots of legal power to enforce matters these days. Ausgusta's doesn't have that power.

sjgraci
sjgraci 06/19/08 - 10:55 am
They saved the toaster!

They saved the toaster! Changed it from all black to white and black. But, I believe the trend is for stainless steel. Change the toaster to stainless steel!

LeeCorbYouSay
LeeCorbYouSay 06/19/08 - 11:21 am
The architect, probably a C

The architect, probably a C graduate of some third-tier design school, must have lost his feng shui in the rush to deposit his commission check. This building, especially the Dantesque entrance, instead of saying "Come in and check us out" rather warns "Keep out."

asustudent75
asustudent75 06/19/08 - 11:23 am
My husband and I have an

My husband and I have an on-going joke. When we ride through Augusta, we count how many abandoned buildings we see....the number keeps going up! Shocking!!

Loved the comments deekster...tooooo funny!

devilishlymad67
devilishlymad67 06/19/08 - 11:42 am
That is just another ugly

That is just another ugly inappropriate building to add to downtown. I love going to the library, I guess I will just have to keep my eyes closed as I approach. Here is a question, did the designer even go to the building site to see what the area was like? You can't tell by looking if they did. A new sore thumb.

RogerThornhill
RogerThornhill 06/19/08 - 12:07 pm
plant vines

plant vines

reddog
reddog 06/19/08 - 12:28 pm
There is just no satisfying

There is just no satisfying some folks. _itch and moan _itch and moan!

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 12:41 pm
My prediction-they will spend

My prediction-they will spend more money and time deciding on what to build than actually building the dang thing. My advice:Build it underground, then place a nice park and parking lot at ground level and a modest entrance. hee.hee,hee.

Felix
Felix 06/19/08 - 01:36 pm
Just sit down, shut up, and

Just sit down, shut up, and build it already!

john
john 06/19/08 - 01:44 pm
I like it Bizarro, perhaps

I like it Bizarro, perhaps the dog park can go there!

janeausten
janeausten 06/19/08 - 04:02 pm
I, like many others, am

I, like many others, am thrilled with the new design. It is going to be a beautiful landmark in downtown Augusta. I predict that it is going to be one of the most loved buildings in our community; not only for the way that it looks, but also for the role that it plays.

motivatedinhepzibah
motivatedinhepzibah 06/19/08 - 04:02 pm
I think augusta could be a

I think augusta could be a six flags and some people would still complain. Mayor deke is doing a great job for this city. Downtown now has a library, whites building, kroc center, tee center, watermark condos, and a hotel/condo project on the common.

agacitzen
agacitzen 06/19/08 - 04:19 pm
The new design looks great.

The new design looks great. It is not Tara but then Scarlett's been dead for a long time. The new library will be for people who are alive and can READ. It will be a tremendous improvement over the old gas station and will look a lot better than the headquarters of the Augusta Chronicle.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...