A glimmer of enforcement

"It is the policy of the executive branch to enforce fully the immigration laws of the United States, including the detection and removal of illegal aliens and the imposition of legal sanctions against employers that hire illegal aliens."

-- President George Bush, in an executive order

Has an alien -- uh, the space kind -- taken over our president's body?

When the illegal immigration crisis finally got the nation's attention -- after illegals took to American streets with Mexican flags in hand to demand recognition and rights -- the argument was made that there was nothing else we could do.

There's no way you can deport 12 million to 20 million illegal aliens, the argument went.

Of course, it was a ruse all along. It's not necessary to actively deport most illegal aliens in order to get them to leave.

You don't even need the "comprehensive" immigration "reform" pushed on us by both parties for two years, at least until they felt the brunt of Americans' anger at the idea of amnesty.

No, all you have to do is enforce existing laws -- something the Bush administration has been inexplicably loath to do.

Now, however, President Bush has signed an executive order requiring federal contractors to verify workers' residency status.

The federal "E-verify" system was established under President Clinton, but has been voluntary until now.

Could it be the federal government is waking up to its responsibility to enforce its own laws?

What next? A secure border?

Maybe. But don't hold your breath -- especially since this is an election year, and Democratic nominee Barack Obama seems to think the illegal immigration problem is just that you're racist and irrationally fearful. Nor has John McCain been right on illegal immigration; he was one of the main sponsors of amnesty. And both parties will step lightly around the issue in an election year.

We don't know why the lame duck president finally got religion, but it's about time.

The U.S. is being played for a sucker on illegal immigration anyway, but how block-headed would it be for the government itself to be employing illegals -- which, despite rhetoric from the left, is against the law?

"This is the first time the federal government is ensuring that it will not be responsible, directly or indirectly, for hiring illegal aliens," says Rosemary Jenks, director of government relations for true reform advocate organization NumbersUSA.

Given the feds' chronic inaction on illegal immigration, an increasing number of states have passed their own laws requiring employers to check workers for immigration status.

They've been trying to enforce the laws the federal government was supposed to be enforcing.

It's nice to see the feds at least making a token effort to catch up.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 06/19/08 - 08:06 pm
Sister Abdullah X is a

Sister Abdullah X is a fictional character created by Frank Zappa.......and yes.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 08:09 pm
Frank Zappa a musician with

Frank Zappa a musician with an intellect. In an age of Rock he also peaked my interest in jazz, which now I am a jazz fanatic. JCS glad to see you back. Bizarro was so jealous of your work. It just brought tears to my eyes. We may not always agree but in our game we were the only ones on the playing field. I bow to the master. But beware soon the grasshopper will beat his master. Although I suspect you may still have a few tricks up your sleeves.

niqhtraider
niqhtraider 06/19/08 - 08:12 pm
I'm sure you would rose just

I'm sure you would rose just proves your stupidity a little further.

SisterAbdullahX_
SisterAbdullahX_ 06/19/08 - 08:26 pm
You truly ARE bizarre.

You truly ARE bizarre.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 08:49 pm
Well I thought about

Well I thought about Brainiac, but then why bother. Bizarro is so much more fun. Ahhh, you admit I am more bizarre than you-I'll take that as a compliment. Well I could have been HumblePie so I could scream and spit phlegm all over everyone. That would be cool. 30 days in the hole. You can take a greasy ho and a rollin dance floor-I'm not referring to you Rose. I would love to yell:"I don't need no Doctor!!!". Gee, I feel like Sally Fields:"You love me, you really love me!:.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 10:21 pm
So the truth is revealed.

So the truth is revealed. Jimmy Carter created Osama bin Laden by interfering with Afghanistan and trying to give the U.S.S.R. their own Vietnam. Mr. Peace turns out to be Mr. Terrorist builder. I guess his guilty conscience has driven his behavior since. What a farce of a man. 23 books and Peace accords can't erase the mark he has made on current events.During his administration, the economy suffered double-digit inflation, coupled with very high interest rates, oil shortages, high unemployment and slow economic growth, he broke with his church and many Dem to be the first president to endorse abortion. This made America so happy Reagan carried 91% of the electoral votes in the 80' election. And to think people accuse Obama of being the Anti-Christ, hee,hee,hee.I think he was also the first President to formally meet with the gay community. Dang I think he's got Ted Kennedy and Barak beat as the most liberal. It must have been the swimming rabbit attack and alien abduction. He is just wonderful isn't he Rose? The fish aren't biting tonight.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 10:56 pm
Hmmm, Fish still not biting.

Hmmm, Fish still not biting. Perhaps I should change my bait. Reagan would make some fine bait too. Dang shame. This would drive Cain insane. Oops forgot!

Patriot08
Patriot08 06/19/08 - 11:02 pm
Biz, I just logged back in...

Biz, I just logged back in... did I see you call yourself the "master baiter" in your 7:36 post?

iletuknow
iletuknow 06/19/08 - 11:19 pm
Companies like Keystone Homes

Companies like Keystone Homes and other local budget builders add to the problem due to their any-thing-for-a-buck attitude.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 11:29 pm
Patriot08, You have little

Patriot08, You have little biz too eh. It must be contagious.

KSL
KSL 06/19/08 - 11:30 pm
Where did the comment about

Where did the comment about builders come from? Jimmy and Habitat is a jump to Keystone!

KSL
KSL 06/19/08 - 11:31 pm
Hey Biz, you always make

Hey Biz, you always make sense to me.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 11:33 pm
Maybe a reference to Master

Maybe a reference to Master builders. Sounds like Roseanne Roseannadanna.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 11:35 pm
Kathysue, Scary ain't it???

Kathysue, Scary ain't it???

KSL
KSL 06/19/08 - 11:49 pm
I surely do miss her!

I surely do miss her!

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 11:51 pm
Me too! I think she and Gene

Me too! I think she and Gene Wilder made quite the couple. I was so sad for him. Both comic geniuses. Bizarro could take a few pointers eh.

KSL
KSL 06/19/08 - 11:56 pm
Biz, a lot of the posts

Biz, a lot of the posts tonight here and on R&R have been down right scarry. I recently you sent you an email

KSL
KSL 06/19/08 - 11:57 pm
Biz, a lot of the posts

Body found in Lake Thurmond

About 4 p.m., the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office responded to a call that a white male, around 35-years-old, had been found near the Chamberlain's Ferry Boat landing area, according to Lincoln ...