A glimmer of enforcement

"It is the policy of the executive branch to enforce fully the immigration laws of the United States, including the detection and removal of illegal aliens and the imposition of legal sanctions against employers that hire illegal aliens."

-- President George Bush, in an executive order

Has an alien -- uh, the space kind -- taken over our president's body?

When the illegal immigration crisis finally got the nation's attention -- after illegals took to American streets with Mexican flags in hand to demand recognition and rights -- the argument was made that there was nothing else we could do.

There's no way you can deport 12 million to 20 million illegal aliens, the argument went.

Of course, it was a ruse all along. It's not necessary to actively deport most illegal aliens in order to get them to leave.

You don't even need the "comprehensive" immigration "reform" pushed on us by both parties for two years, at least until they felt the brunt of Americans' anger at the idea of amnesty.

No, all you have to do is enforce existing laws -- something the Bush administration has been inexplicably loath to do.

Now, however, President Bush has signed an executive order requiring federal contractors to verify workers' residency status.

The federal "E-verify" system was established under President Clinton, but has been voluntary until now.

Could it be the federal government is waking up to its responsibility to enforce its own laws?

What next? A secure border?

Maybe. But don't hold your breath -- especially since this is an election year, and Democratic nominee Barack Obama seems to think the illegal immigration problem is just that you're racist and irrationally fearful. Nor has John McCain been right on illegal immigration; he was one of the main sponsors of amnesty. And both parties will step lightly around the issue in an election year.

We don't know why the lame duck president finally got religion, but it's about time.

The U.S. is being played for a sucker on illegal immigration anyway, but how block-headed would it be for the government itself to be employing illegals -- which, despite rhetoric from the left, is against the law?

"This is the first time the federal government is ensuring that it will not be responsible, directly or indirectly, for hiring illegal aliens," says Rosemary Jenks, director of government relations for true reform advocate organization NumbersUSA.

Given the feds' chronic inaction on illegal immigration, an increasing number of states have passed their own laws requiring employers to check workers for immigration status.

They've been trying to enforce the laws the federal government was supposed to be enforcing.

It's nice to see the feds at least making a token effort to catch up.

nightsriders
nightsriders 06/19/08 - 09:22 am
Pay and te, may I recommend

Pay and te, may I recommend you two write in hitlery?

teharper428
teharper428 06/19/08 - 09:49 am
Hey, I'm okay with my tax

Hey, I'm okay with my tax dollars getting people back home, are you? The best way to deal with illegals is to stop employers from hiring. Employers like hiring illegals: they can short-change them on pay and have absolutely no health and safety work site standards. And of course, the undocumented workers have no recourse for the employer abuse.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 09:57 am
My wife and I went from

My wife and I went from barely having a pot to pee in to some wealth (by some standards). I find it amazing while I now live in a nicer home the only thing that has really changed is just the size of my bills and debt, but I bet the percentages of my finances probably hasn't changed that much. I could use any relief I can get. This ole dog has been beaten too many times, and try to teach me some new tricks and I will bite your hand off. I would take great joy standing in Congress and going table to table to urinate on the whole dang lot of them. They have been doing that to me for years so turn about is fair play. hee,hee,hee.

1941
1941 06/19/08 - 10:01 am
I do not understand why the

I do not understand why the ones that are against Sentor Obama ,are afraid of him becoming president. He cannot do any more or less to bring this country down. We are as far down as we can go. The only way we can go now is UP!!!!!!!!!!! And as for the illeagals, let;s call it what it is.Some one has to work the farms. someone has to do all the jobs that the slaves used to do.If the illeagals did not do it then who??So let;s settle down they are not going anywhere. WE NEED THEM TO DO WHAT YOUR CHILDREN ARE NOT GOING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patriot08
Patriot08 06/19/08 - 10:02 am
You may be able to pee on

You may be able to pee on them Bizarro, but they are Sh---ing on the rest of us.

1941
1941 06/19/08 - 10:11 am
Convertedsouthner! Yes that

Convertedsouthner! Yes that remind me of bush and cheny, the most corrupted government I have ever seen. Everthing they have touched have turned to s---. Can you take your head out of the sand long enough to just think and see where this country is today. Are you better of today than you were when we had Clinton!!!!!!!!!

toldya
toldya 06/19/08 - 10:13 am
To all: Really a moot point

To all: Really a moot point now- the American dollar is worth less than the peso- they might all go back- I know that whatever tax free money they do make they send back to Mexico-without charge from Bank of America- so they earn it here and then don't spend it here. Gives us your poor, tired & hungry, well enough of that- us Americans are now poor, tired & hungry.

Patriot08
Patriot08 06/19/08 - 10:15 am
actually the current exchange

actually the current exchange is 1 us to 10 mexican peso.

toldya
toldya 06/19/08 - 10:17 am
Splitting hairs 08- the

Splitting hairs 08- the dollar is not going as far as it use to for these illegals, hopefully it will make them leave.

toldya
toldya 06/19/08 - 10:19 am
We cannot depend on the gov't

We cannot depend on the gov't to make them leave- we have never been able to do that- because then we would be accused of "profiling".

Patriot08
Patriot08 06/19/08 - 10:20 am
Not likely. Illegals will not

Not likely. Illegals will not leave until Americans are willing to do the same job for less money. As long as there is a demand, they will continue to increase supply.

Rose
Rose 06/19/08 - 10:22 am
All the smear Obama email I

All the smear Obama email I receive is being forwarded to watchdog@barackobama.com

shivas
shivas 06/19/08 - 10:28 am
I just think it's funny to

I just think it's funny to hear the right-wing spew so much speculative failure on Obama, when they have an 8 year proven track record of economic and foreign policy failures.

christian134
christian134 06/19/08 - 10:30 am
And Rose what is your

And Rose what is your point...not to put to fine a point on it but who really cares....If I choose to say this man is not worth much at all in the intellect, experience or honesty departments it is my right as an American at least for right now....:-)

Reality
Reality 06/19/08 - 10:32 am
Do you really believe that

Do you really believe that when an administration is in office that any of its policies take effect immediately? Bush's policies won't have a big affect on the economy until 1 or 2 presidents from now.....If the illegals left then wages would go up high enough for LEGAL AMERICANS to do the jobs.....

Rose
Rose 06/19/08 - 10:37 am
christian134 what is your

christian134 what is your point...not to put to fine a point on it but who really cares....If I choose to say this man is worth all in the intellect, experience or honesty departments it is my right as an American at least for right now....:-)

toldya
toldya 06/19/08 - 10:38 am
Patriot- if and when the

Patriot- if and when the illegals leave, the pay rate would go up because these companies would be put in the position of either paying a fair wage to legal Americans or losing business.

christian134
christian134 06/19/08 - 10:39 am
:-) you go Rose sounds good

:-) you go Rose sounds good to me....

Rose
Rose 06/19/08 - 10:44 am
I refuse to argue politics.

I refuse to argue politics. If anyone wants to know Obama's views on the issues, then go to his website and see what he has to say. You can get more out of 'the horses mouth' than you can from your favorite commentator.

toldya
toldya 06/19/08 - 10:44 am
Reality- PERFECT - couldn't

Reality- PERFECT - couldn't say it better myself.

toldya
toldya 06/19/08 - 10:45 am
but I did....:)

but I did....:)

nightsriders
nightsriders 06/19/08 - 11:00 am
Rose woo, woo for you, wuff,

Rose woo, woo for you, wuff, wuff for watchdog@bbarack.com! Shivas, slap yourself your record is stuck!

shivas
shivas 06/19/08 - 11:10 am
Perfect right-wing tactic

Perfect right-wing tactic Reality. When Obama fixes the economy, you can take credit for it. It's OK, it must feel awful to be part of a movement that has failed so miserably.

nightsriders
nightsriders 06/19/08 - 11:11 am
Slap yourself again shiv boy,

Slap yourself again shiv boy, that little tap to yourself didn't move the needle!

Rose
Rose 06/19/08 - 11:23 am
nightsriders
nightsriders 06/19/08 - 11:24 am
rose, wuff, wuff!

rose, wuff, wuff!

nightsriders
nightsriders 06/19/08 - 11:24 am
Rose, send them the post

Rose, send them the post turtle joke!

Rose
Rose 06/19/08 - 11:27 am
shivas remember when they

shivas remember when they were all bashing Carter for talking to hamas? Now the Hamas and Israel have a cease fire. I hear no lip about that. I think they know now that Carter turns out to be smarter than they thought. I did not vote for Carter, but he is much smarter than some people give him credit for.

jack
jack 06/19/08 - 11:29 am
teHarper how about giving us

teHarper how about giving us your source for these utterings you claim were made by Osama. I sure as hell haven't heard them. The DIMs want to give them amnesty as they know that most immigrants will vote DIMocRAT because they are the Party of give aways. DIMs wrote the law that gives immingrants 65 years old who has paid nothing in, but is eligible for social security, Medicare, ad nauseum.

nightsriders
nightsriders 06/19/08 - 11:30 am
Carter had nothing to do with

Carter had nothing to do with the ceasefire, rosiepoop, I mean poo!

Kettle donations rise in 2014