A quiet, chronic 9-11

We've wondered for years why the United States insists on saying it's waging a "war on drugs." There's no war.

Is there?

Well, yes, as a matter of fact there is.

It's a war that the national media are largely ignoring. But did you know that since late 2006, some 4,000 people have died along the Mexican border with the United States?

More deaths than on 9-11, almost as many as in five years of the Iraq War.

Yet, not only are the national media not making this a top story, Washington has failed to make it even an issue.

Much like rugged, remote tribal areas of Pakistan, where Islamabad has little or no influence, Mexico had lost control of areas of its northern border. A Mexican federal crackdown on drug cartels in the area only seemed to ramp up the violence -- kidnappings, death threats, shootouts and more.

It's also increased the number of Mexicans looking to the United States for sanctuary. An Arizona Republic story last week said increasing numbers of professionals in northern Mexico are moving to the United States, and real estate companies in the U.S. are happy to accommodate them, considering the state of the housing industry today.

"The main driver is a wave of violence unleashed by Mexico's 18-month-old crackdown on drug cartels," the newspaper reported, quoting a San Diego real estate agent as saying, "First it was the dentists, then lawyers and doctors ... now it's teachers, owners of little stores, people from the working class."

Ominously, the Arizona Republic cites polls in Mexico in which most citizens say the Mexican government is losing the battle to drug cartels.

The carnage and corruption going on just inside Mexico can't help but send more than dentists into the United States.

It is inexplicable and unconscionable that the U.S. government has failed to either secure the country's border or fully engage itself or the American people in a war on their border that has already taken 4,000 lives.

When will we actually try to win this war?

jack
jack 06/19/08 - 01:39 pm
Sigraci, I reaize i's hard

Sigraci, I reaize i's hard for someone of your intellect to see the difference in a real war (iraq/Afghanistan) and the war on drugs along OUR border with Mexico. Mexico is just another third world country and fast making us the same with the millions of illegals who come here thanks to GW Bush's lack of enforcement of our borders and the laws already on the books.

jack
jack 06/19/08 - 01:40 pm
BTW Sig, what hs your

BTW Sig, what hs your DIMocRAT controlled congress done to enforce and protect our borders?

nightsriders
nightsriders 06/19/08 - 01:42 pm
PC, I don't think we broke

PC, I don't think we broke every one to the indians, but we broke enough. I don't think I addressed the Indians tho.

jack
jack 06/19/08 - 01:43 pm
Sydiot/Cain, give us the

Sydiot/Cain, give us the soureces for all those baseless allegations. About the only thng you said that has any credibility is that Bush has failed in securing our borders (as has the DIMocRAT cotrolled Congress).

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/19/08 - 01:43 pm
Shivas you have no idea what

Shivas you have no idea what you are talking about. I encourage you to read up on what the cartels are doing in Mexico. They are killing a lot of people, corrupting the Mexican govt. and killing Americans, boarder agents and civilians that go visit boarder towns. Actually I encourage you to go to Texas and hop across to one of the border towns to see for yourself. You really have to mind yourself and make sure not to step on toes there or you can end up dead. Y'all are just being stupid comparing this to Iraq or anything else to the drug cartels in Mexico because it is a totally different animal. Did you know that the Mexican cartels are knocking off the Columbian cartels? Pretty serious when you're taking out the Columbians And JRHC stop trying to connect the dots on two different Mini Pages.

jack
jack 06/19/08 - 01:47 pm
Shivas, the AC doesn't hate

Shivas, the AC doesn't hate all Mexicans, just the illegal ones here, especially the drug trafficers and other criminals. Your ignorance is showing again (every time you post).

jack
jack 06/19/08 - 01:54 pm
Bizzaro, the Communists built

Bizzaro, the Communists built a fence, with guards and land mines to keep their folks in. I believe we should do the same to keep[ would be illegals out. Let the border police shoot anyone illegally coming across just like the East Germans used to do to keep'em in. Guaranteed that the border would be secure.

john
john 06/19/08 - 02:34 pm
jack. people like shivas dont

jack. people like shivas dont care to make the distinction between criminals and law abiding. its just race, race, race. whoops, there goes an other typical right wing comment.

truthnlove
truthnlove 06/19/08 - 02:42 pm
"We are hated in Iraq for

"We are hated in Iraq for unjustly going to war"...come on shivas....even you know that's not true...the ones who hate us are the ones we're defeating....I've heard soldiers who have actually been there say that the news media are painting an unfair picture....they have civilians tell them how glad they are that we are there....the children love them...no doubt there are others who hate us with an undying passion and would love to see us all dead and gone...but not for an "unjust" war...I'm sure those who suffered & died under Hussein wouldn't classify it as unjust.

niqhtsraiders
niqhtsraiders 06/19/08 - 02:50 pm
It can't be about race,

It can't be about race, shivboy is white.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 06/19/08 - 03:29 pm
jack...you lose all

jack...you lose all creditability when you call everyone ignorant when they disagree.. you post lots of good points but I tend to ignore your posts as they are all the same...they start with people of your intellect...c'mon dude...you're better than that.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 06/19/08 - 03:30 pm
Don't have to say it if you

Don't have to say it if you can prove it with facts............

S.C. Dawg
S.C. Dawg 06/19/08 - 04:25 pm
I4PUTT, it is hard not to

I4PUTT, it is hard not to stoop to their level of wackoism sometimes because they do not listen to reason, they only twist it to mean what they want it to. ( they being shivas, sigraci, justus, cain, and other the other wackos here). Jack, I understand your dilemna. But reasoning with them is like trying to reason with terrorists.

shivas
shivas 06/19/08 - 04:38 pm
All I know is Mexicans are

All I know is Mexicans are great workers and great people. They did a heckuva job on my new home. Their fast as well. Work on weekends and after 5:00p.m. Ever seen a white crew work on a Friday after 12:00p.m.? These people are incredible consumers in our economy, and are supporting the manual labor force. John just can't take race out of the picture long enough to look at both sides of the issue. And Jack, well he is Jack. As a liberal, I love him regardless of all the bad names he calls me. I am sure he's a good person, he just hides it very well.

niqhtsraiders
niqhtsraiders 06/19/08 - 04:45 pm
shivboy, slap yourself again,

shivboy, slap yourself again, boy your head should hurt. No one is concerned with legal immigrants , it's the illegal ones. That cannot be too hard for you to undeerstand, or is it?

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 05:35 pm
They framed my new home too

They framed my new home too shivas. I don't even think they used a ladder. They were like monkeys climbing all over the place and far outpaced any americans who worked on my home. I was amazed at their effort and impressed, while all the americans made promises, didn't show, took longer, and generally disgusted me by the time the project was completed. Viva la Mexicans. hee,hee,hee. Hey Shivas most of the mexicans are deeply religious folk too.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/19/08 - 06:13 pm
Well Shivas at least you are

Well Shivas at least you are willing to admit that you know absolutely nothing about Mexicans (except a stereotype) or about what's going on in Mexico. Like most liberals you like to stay uninformed and ignorant so that you can make statements based on raw emotions & hearsay and not intellect, logic, or fact. You are well on your way to becoming the shinning star of the useful idiot brigade! Congrats!

shivas
shivas 06/19/08 - 06:50 pm
Never said I was perfect.

Never said I was perfect.

Bizarro
Bizarro 06/19/08 - 10:47 pm
Well weekapaug05 that would

Well weekapaug05 that would describe Ann Coulter too.

Weekly crime map, database

Violent crimes for the past week included 102 assaults, four of which was classified as aggravated assaults. The most assaults in a single day, 22, occurred on Aug. 17.