Start over with all-new Congress

President Bush takes a lot of criticism for his presidency, and in a lot of ways rightly so.

However, for the life of me, I do not understand how our legislative branch gets a free ride.

When Sen. Harry Reid criticized President Bush for criticizing Congress' inaction, Reid said that since the Democrats took control of Congress, Bush has failed to send them one good idea.

What is wrong with Congress coming up with some good ideas? Are they incapable of independent thought? I thought all laws had to come from Congress.

President Jefferson was right when he believed "change" was needed about every 20 years or so. Would it not be a great thing in the upcoming election to vote every incumbent out of office, regardless of party? A bunch of rookies could do no worse than what we have today.

Ron Pieper, North Augusta

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 06/01/08 - 04:00 am
Seems like I am not alone

Seems like I am not alone when picking on Bush, but then again, I am NOT voting for a "rookie" named Obama. Sorry dude, but I don't see much "change" when it comes to my freedoms that would be encrouched upon cause some idiot tells me about change but has NO clue as to What changes he was talking about. For all I know, this guy will follow after Bush. I looked at this guy's report for "change" and even HE doesn't know where he stands on issues that we are fighting amongst ourselves with. You tell me where he stands on Family Values?! Gun Control?! Economics?! Bush failed the economic course in college, what did Obama get? Well, if you can't answer that then you really are dumber than Bush. Tell me, if Obama makes 4.2 million dollars in a year claimed on taxes, why does he need our support with tax dollars to run for President? Why am I suppose to fork money over to the very people who abuse their own power in office?

KSL
KSL 06/01/08 - 07:24 am
What is the guarantee that

What is the guarantee that the replacements would be any better given the fact that it takes MONEY to get elected these days? And with money donated you become beholden. I do understand the sentiment, though. I just think the solution is a lot more complex than just voting everyone out.

Patriot08
Patriot08 06/01/08 - 07:45 am
DE2, I am seriously no fan of

DE2, I am seriously no fan of Bush's, but how do you expect anyone to believe that Bush failed the economics course when he has an MBA from Harvard?

cparker
cparker 06/01/08 - 07:50 am
I like the idea of checks and

I like the idea of checks and balances in government. I think a Conservatives President and a Liberal Congress or visa versa should work better than being led by one party. My problem is that President Bush is such a liar & he makes every attempt to undermine why the Senate and Congress exists. He tried to sell our border rights to the National Arab Emerites, he instituted an illegal wire tapping scheme, he fired the military leadership to include two joint chiefs chairman that opposed his war views, and then had several federal prosecutors that were Liberals dismissed without cause. He threatens veto every bill sent to him for petty legalisms while we all suffer, like refusing to tax oil companies despite their $10 billion gains for two & three quarters. Scott McClellan is most likely right that our current administration manipulated information to have the ability to carryout their crazy Conservative agenda without oversight. The number of Conservative lawmakers that have been indicted for serious crimes of mistrust or stealing is frightening. We need to replace the Conservatives for a while & rebuild our international image and institute sensible & honest agendas.

cparker
cparker 06/01/08 - 07:59 am
DeborahElliott2, Who do you

DeborahElliott2, Who do you know that has experience at being President of the US that can be elected? Obama is no more a rookie at this job than McCain unless McCain has been President before in some other life or by some other name. There is no such thing as an experienced candidate...Their creativity matters. Bush lost to Clinton, Gore lost to GWB, and McCain will lost to Obama for this reason. When people are ready for change as we are today, just being an elderly stateman refusing to alter Conservatives flawed agenda will not get you elected.

bone
bone 06/01/08 - 07:59 am
i completely agree with your

i completely agree with your first two sentences, cparker. kathy, you've got my vote.

tomgahunter
tomgahunter 06/01/08 - 08:06 am
Our big spending, big

Our big spending, big government senator Saxby Chambliss is up for election. As most of us know He voted with Pelosi/Reid to over ride the Bush/McCain veto of thewasteful farm bill. He is best friends with Teddy Kennedy on immigration so if you don't like the idea of press 1 for spanish, we need to vote liberatarian.

Bumm
Bumm 06/01/08 - 01:11 pm
What has the Democratic

What has the Democratic Majority congress done since the took over congress a few years ago? Nothing! they have done nothing to ease the economy, gas prices soaring or help the lower and middle class workers. The economy was going haywire towards the end of Bill Clinton's Presidency and he did nothing to thwart it off except to please Little Willy. If he would of taken care of business like he should have after the WTC was bombed the first time we may not be at war right now. Gas prices were on the rise and he did nothing. Now the Democrats want to give illegals drivers licenses, Amnesty, and Social Security. You can put the blame on Bush, but Congress makes the decision to go to war and they make the laws that will affect you. Obama has stated that he will raise your taxes which is the Democratic way. I surely will not vote for him or Hillary. They will destroy America By over taxing everyone but the wealthy. Why would the raise their taxes? They will make loop-holes to keep the wealthy, wealthy.

laking
laking 06/01/08 - 03:19 pm
To Bumm and the rest of you

To Bumm and the rest of you right wing nuts, what can they do? They don't have the veto-proof congress that the Republican had prior to the Democratic take over. Everything they (Democrats) proposed have been met with resistance because as McClellan said the president and the Republicans are in perpetual campaign mode. They are not looking for compromise or diplomacy. They are only looking to obstruct. But I tell you what, all of this will be over in January and we will have CHANGE not only in presidency but in congress in spite of the South.

jack
jack 06/01/08 - 03:50 pm
DE, get it right. The word

DE, get it right. The word is encroached, not encrouched and Bush flunked Astronomy, not economics. As for Obama, I believe we know where he will take us-pure socialism and gutted military/national defense.

jack
jack 06/01/08 - 03:57 pm
I ain't a Bush fan anymore in

I ain't a Bush fan anymore in that he lied about being a conservative. From what CParker says (most of it unfounded/no proof, just leftist drivel) would rather have a socialist ggovernemnt. BTW CParker, what "conservatives" have been driven out of Congress for stealing or whatever? Seems Repubs kick'em out and DIMs re-elect their crooks-Charles Walker locally, William Jefferson, Alcee Hastings (both in the House) to name a few. BTW, the NSA never wire tapped anyone. They did monitor suspected AQ agents calling into this country. Oh, well, wasting my time as it is always the same of crap(being nice), different day with you DIMs.

jack
jack 06/01/08 - 04:04 pm
laking, the Repubs had a

laking, the Repubs had a majority in the Senate, but not the 60 votes to over ride DIMoCRAP road blocks to legislation. The Repubs got what they deserved as they did not wield the political power in Congress they possessed as do the DIMs. If you want pure socialism with guv'munt in your daily lives, put a DIMocRaP in the WH and have a DIMoCRAP controlled Congress. CParker, it was not the Conservatives in Congress that betrayes us Repubs, it was the RINOs of which McCain is one. I will vote for Jim DiMint and Gresham Barret-both conservatives but against Grahamnesty for Senate, another RINO.