Civic center brawl was knockout

Everybody loves a good rasslin' match. And boy did we have a good one at the civic center last week between two contenders, both ironically claiming to be The Defender. There was heavyweight William "The Defender" Fennoy and bantamweight Woody "The Defender" Merry .

"The Defender" Merry, who should have called himself "Bloody Merry" seeing how the match turned out, thought rasslin' was just a fake game where you went and made big boasts about what you were going to do to your opponent and pretended to be rasslin' when you were really just falling down and beating the canvas with your fists.

So "The Defender" Merry got in "The Defender" Fennoy's face before Thursday's main event demanding to know why he hadn't shown up for Tuesday's tag team match with Richard "The Exterminator" Isdell , Harry "Harrisburg" Moore , Freddie "The Peckerwood Constable" Sanders , Jack "The Pompadour" Usry ; and Donnie "The Diamond King" Thompson . That was the match where they challenged Keith "Which Way Is Home?" Brown to resign as head rassler, which he did, catching them all off guard, so much so they didn't know what to do.

So "Harrisburg," who has hit the mat hard one too many times, said he was going to vote no on accepting the resignation because he didn't want to give "Which Way Is Home?" the satisfaction of resigning if that was what he wanted to do, but the rest of the team talked him out of it.

There had been a preliminary match the Friday before between "The Exterminator" and Willie "I'm Running" Law , but it turned out to be just a promo for Thursday's main event with a lot of typical rassler-type name calling.

So when "The Defender" Merry followed "The Defender" Fennoy into the ring Thursday screaming, "I will defend myself," over and over, "The Defender" Fennoy took him at his word. Unfortunately, "The Defender" Merry had to eat his word and ended up on the floor with his opponent kicking his butt.

"Harrisburg" Harry, the only one in the room big enough to handle "The Defender" Fennoy, grabbed him and got kicked in the leg for his trouble.

While he was breaking up the fight, "The Exterminator" ran out into the concourse, supposedly in search of a security guard, but "Harrisburg" said he has his doubts about that.

"That's the second time he's run out on me," he said. "He ran out on me the time me and Jack Usry got into it outside the arena before the Ray Whitfield fight."

Afterward, "The Defender" Merry kept saying "The Defender" Fennoy bumped his chest first.

"When he bumped his chest to mine, I said, 'I'll defend myself,' that I was feeling threatened," he said. "He bumped me a third time. I said, 'I am feeling threatened. I will defend myself,' and pushed him out of my personal space."

Who knew rasslers had personal space?

Anyway, "The Defender" Fennoy said he was just defending himself, too.

Although "The Defender" Merry said he wasn't going to take out a warrant on his opponent, he ran straight to the sheriff's office to do just that, and "The Defender" Fennoy did, too. So the match that counts will be late this month before a Richmond County Civil and Magistrate Court judge.

Maybe both will go down for the count.

THE GREAT DEFENDER, OR WOODY'S SONG:

Oh, yes, I'm the great defender

Just rasslin' all day like a clown

I defend my place, getting in your face

Shouting, until you knock me down

Then I'm defending myself on the ground.

THE GREAT DEFENDER, OR WILLIAM'S SONG:

Oh, yes, I'm the great defender

Just rasslin' my foes to the ground

I defend my place, kick foes in the face

Pretending I care rednecks aren't around.

THE LITTLE DELEGATION THAT THOUGHT IT COULD, BUT COULDN'T: Meanwhile, the governing board of Augusta's rasslin' teams, the legislative delegation, which doesn't get along any better than the rasslers and possibly worse, wants them all to resign in order to accomplish what lawmakers couldn't during the past legislative session. But should they? Or should the lawmakers resign instead?

IT'S NOT LIKE THIS AT THE JEWELRY STORE: The Coliseum Authority's newest member, Donnie "The Diamond King" Thompson , seems a little shellshocked by all the rasslin' at his first two meetings. He says anybody thinking of getting on the board ought to come to a few meetings first.

John Manuel, whose place Mr. Thompson took on the board, showed up at Mr. Thompson's first meeting. It seems nobody had told him he'd been replaced.

GAS-X: When Augusta commissioners start talking about cutting their 100-gallon-a-month gas allowance, it's enough to give you gas.

Oh, the bloated accounts of miles driven to meet with constituents and attend meetings, the pumped-up accounts of hours spent on the phone and in the car.

Such was the case at last week's committee meeting when Commissioner Jerry Brigham's proposal to cut the allowance to 50 gallons a month came up. There was much crying and gnashing of teeth, and Mayor Pro Tem Betty Beard said she knew gasoline prices were a problem, but it was still "insulting and demeaning" because such issues seem to come up every year and seem to be aimed at certain commissioners.

Well?

She also said when anybody checks commissioners' gasoline usage, they should check the mayor's and other people's, which brought Mayor Deke Copenhaver up short.

"I don't get any gas on the city, Mrs. Beard," he said.

And I thought they were such good friends.

CHRISTMAS TREE! OH, CHRISTMAS TREE! Then there was the discussion of buying a $26,000 fake Christmas tree to replace a real tree at the Augusta Common each holiday. Mrs. Beard, the arbiter of all things tasteful, was aghast at the idea. Everybody should be able to see a live Christmas tree at the Common, she exclaimed. Commissioner J.R. Hatney was for a real tree, too, until he heard they cost $14,000 a year, so he changed his mind and started sermonizing.

"If Christmas is so important, but yet we have a parade every year with Santa Claus on the end of it," he said. "You need to make up your mind. Is it real or not?"

There was silence while that sank in, then Mrs. Beard said, "Well, Christmas is real for me, and I do both."

She said maybe the public should be surveyed on the subject, so The Chronicle asked readers to vote on whether Augusta should save money by putting an artificial tree on display this December, and 174 voted yes and 192 voted no.

Among the readers' comments, I found this little gem from Little Lamb:

"Whatever tree they decide on, we need to appoint Dave Barbee to trim it."

NOT ENOUGH TRICKLE DOWN: Another thing commissioners talked about last week was gearing up for the next round of the special purpose local option sales tax in 2009 and the role of the Georgia DOT in funding road projects from the tax money. Mr. Hatney asked whether they could get more federal money, and City Engineer Abie Ladson said federal money sort of trickled down.

"I don't like that phrase, 'trickle down,' Mr. Hatney said. "I lived in that system too long."

IF ONLY HE COULD SING AND DANCE LIKE J.B. USED TO DO: Businessman J.R. Riles held his 20th Annual Block Party a week ago at Turpin Hill and MLK Boulevard and gave away 55 bicycles and lots of free barbecue to about 700 children. The party for children in the neighborhood is a tradition on the last day of school, he said.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 06/01/08 - 02:59 am
Should we pass the hat for

Should we pass the hat for poor poor Mrs. beard? At 20 mpg 100 gallons of gas will get you 2000 miles. Mrs. Beard, when you get to Dallas E-mail your other commisioners for enough gas to get to Disneyland-----and then please stay there!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/01/08 - 07:58 am
Sylvia, as evidenced by the

Sylvia, as evidenced by the lack of comments here, you better find something else to write about. No one cares about the Coliseum anymore. We have written it off to the theater of the absurd.

apex24
apex24 06/01/08 - 09:00 am
Alvin Mason said he thinks

Alvin Mason said he thinks anything he does for his district he should be paid for. Whatever happened to serving mankind when you run for office. I believe he's using his gas to drive to his job at SRS.

deekster
deekster 06/01/08 - 09:12 am
Slyvia, you could make a

Slyvia, you could make a million as a stand up comedian. LOL
Once again you brought late night humor to the morning hours. Great work. The "Bloody Merry" was hilarious. Augusta has always been a "wrestling city". Love the way the crowd gets invovled with the "fake blood" and "fake fighting". "He's got a "razor blade in his shorts". Oh the days of ignorant innocence.

junebug
junebug 06/01/08 - 10:43 am
Great column! Sounds like

Great column! Sounds like Little Woody got what he deserved. His bullying tactics need to be stopped. CsraHelp? No, Bloody Merry needs help.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 06/01/08 - 12:43 pm
Woody should go the way of

Woody should go the way of Mary Hail. Become a ghost to every one.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/01/08 - 01:04 pm
junebug. William Fennoy is

junebug. William Fennoy is much taller and bigger than Woody. Fennoy bumped his belly into Woody three times after being told by Woody that he felt threatened, so who's really the one doing the bullying? Yes, the bullying tactics need to stop and that means EVERYBODY who's using them. Let's not spin the facts when we don't even have any. We don't know for sure who initiated contact and who was the true bully in this situation. They may both have been bullies in this situation, but if I had been Fennoy I would have just avoided Woody after having a good laugh, like a Rottweiler being faced down by a chihuahua. I wish there was a video, because I doubt there was an impartial witness anywhere about to give us the actual version of the incident.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 06/01/08 - 01:57 pm
Baroness, again you are

Baroness, again you are posting as if what woody said is fact. You are talking out both sides of your moth. In one breath you say " Let's not spin the facts when we don't have any". Then in the next you say " Fenno bumped his belly into woody's three times after being told by woody that he felt threatened, so who's really doing the bullying" ? My questions to you are, Do you have video of the fight? Do you have a crystal ball? Lastly, are you just bias towards woody?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/01/08 - 02:22 pm
I have stated over and over I

I have stated over and over I don't have the facts and NEITHER DOES ANYONE ELSE posting here, I have been very clear about that. I am reminding those that are biased toward Fennoy there are other versions that are underrepresented here and I am asking questions that should be asked. So I will answer your questions from your previous post as repeated here: "My questions to you are, Do you have video of the fight? (No, and you don't either.) Do you have a crystal ball? (NO, and you don't either.) Lastly are you just biased towards Woody? (No, but are you just biased towards Fennoy?) NONE of us have the facts, but some posters here are trying to make it look like they do and have passed judgment against one or the other.

HuckFinn
HuckFinn 06/01/08 - 06:51 pm
Talking out of both sides of

Talking out of both sides of your moth? I didn't realize a moth could talk out of either of its sides.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 06/02/08 - 07:55 am
Maybe if you would not hang

Maybe if you would not hang out with Tom all day, you would know more about moth, smart azz. I would correct it to mouth, but since it bothers you so much, I will leave it just the way it is.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 06/02/08 - 07:57 am
Baronees, say what you wish,

Baronees, say what you wish, anyone reading your post will come away with the same thoughts. You only added the other part to appear unbias. It did not work IMHO.

owensjef2
owensjef2 06/02/08 - 08:54 am
Uh Down goes Woody

Uh Down goes Woody

junebug
junebug 06/02/08 - 09:47 am
Baronees, those belly bumps

Baronees, those belly bumps really must hurt :-) It was probably more like the Tony Orlando song O my darlin', knock 3 times with your belly if you want me Twice with your feet, if the answer is no................

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/02/08 - 07:49 pm
junebug, how would you like

junebug, how would you like it if William Fennoy came up and did that to you? And HYPOCRITES you cannot know whether or not everyone that reads my posts comes away with the same thoughts. Are you God? Are you a mind-reader? And you really should learn how to spell correctly (or type correctly) and use proper grammar. Your posts are nearly unintelligible. If you consider me biased, I don't think there has even been a word coined to describe the depths of your bias. If I have any, yours far surpasses mine.

junebug
junebug 06/02/08 - 10:05 pm
If William Fennoy came up to

If William Fennoy came up to me I would ask my questions with dignity and respect, not get in his face and shout.

toppergem
toppergem 06/03/08 - 11:52 pm
According to all of the

According to all of the witnesses present at the time of the incident. Mr. Merry approached Mr. Fennoy, got all up in his face screaming "why weren't you at the meeting" over and over and pushed Mr. Fennoy in the chest. Mr. Fennoy returned the favor and Mr. Merry fell to the ground on his behind. So someone has his facts a little jumbled...Merry was the agressor, got his behind kicked and then was escorted from the building by security.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 06/25/08 - 01:49 pm
And I suppose all these so

And I suppose all these so called witnesses are credible and unbiased. Unless you were there with your eyes wide open and saw the whole thing yourself, you don't know what happened for sure. I sure don't. That's why I'm not taking sides, just making sure both sides are being represented.