Woman is arrested in fatal hit-and-run

AIKEN --- Authorities arrested a 33-year-old Warrenville woman Friday on a charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving two hit-and-run wrecks, one of which was fatal.

Ginger Taylor Carpenter was charged in the accident that left James Cohrs, 56, dead early Thursday. She was being held at the Aiken County Detention Center on $25,000 bond.

Authorities say Ms. Carpenter's vehicle struck two motorcycles Thursday, killing one of the riders. She fled the scene, said Lance Cpl. Bob Beres, a spokesman for the South Carolina Highway Patrol. Ms. Carpenter might face other charges, he said.

Authorities say they found the vehicle they believe was involved in the wrecks Thursday afternoon.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said the dark green, newer-model Ford Expedition had been found with damage to the front end, but he wouldn't say where the vehicle was.

Lance Cpl. Beres said investigators originally believed a vehicle traveling on Storm Branch Road around 1 a.m. first struck a motorcycle being ridden by Michael Yont, 48, and then hit Mr. Cohrs' motorcycle.

Mr. Cohrs was pronounced dead of severe head trauma at the scene, according to Mr. Carlton.

Lance Cpl. Beres said investigators are still trying to piece together how the fatal collision happened, and "the details of that are going to change."

"We're reconstructing the accident and a timeline of who hit who," he said.

Mr. Yont was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital and later released.

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/24/08 - 06:00 am
By far, the biggest danger in

By far, the biggest danger in motorcycle ridding is an aggressive driver in a car or truck that doesn't like or respect the rights of motorcycle riders.

strictly bussiness
strictly bussiness 05/24/08 - 07:36 am
why were these guys riding a

why were these guys riding a motorcycle @ 1:am, knowing the driving risk of a motorcycle was he wearing a helment

edst4
edst4 05/24/08 - 07:45 am
My son just bought a

My son just bought a motorcycle, my biggest fear is somebody pulling out in front of him. I was following him home one evening, it was around 6:30 still daylight not cloudy, when somebody leaving foodlion in grovetown, pulled out in front of him, causing him to go off into the dirt to avoid hitting the idiot. He rides with his bright light on (trust me you can see this thing) during the day to be seen better. Still there are idiots who will pull out in front of someone. What i can not figure out is why did the person flee 2 times. She should have stopped to render aid at the 1st scene. That in it in self will cause her to be arrested.

CantTrustaDumbocrat
CantTrustaDumbocrat 05/24/08 - 07:52 am
PT- You may try reading the

PT- You may try reading the article before putting your foot in your mouth. You are more interested in your post count than posting intelligent thoughts. If you read this again it says the SCHP originally thought the vehicle struck the motorcycle. Two sentences later it says the details of that are going to change and they are reconstructing the accident to see who hit whom.
True this woman should not have left the scene but so far she has not been cited at fault in this accident.
It has NOTHING to do with someone who does not like or respect riders.

edst4
edst4 05/24/08 - 08:05 am
Georgialina sounds like you

Georgialina sounds like you know this person. Once again she should have never fled the scene. Even though we do not know the entire story. You must stay there to render aid. The person she hit the 1st time could have been laying there for some time before somebody found him. Why did she leave? Was she under the Influence of something? She can be charged for that. I have a saying that is well know, you do the crime you do the time. She fled instead of helping. End of story

Son of God
Son of God 05/24/08 - 08:10 am
May God bless the family of

May God bless the family of the daed motorcycle rider. His soul has been anchored in the Lord. Your souls are yet to be anchored od should I say left behind to murmur and complain. It is appointed unto men once to die and after then the judgement. Where is your faith? To die is gain if and only if you die in Christ. Read Deuteronomy 32:39 and meditate on it. Read Psalm 51 and repent. I would quote them but from previous readings of comments in this article, it is obvious that you are not studying God's word to show yourselves approved. Georgialina, keep up the good work of comforting, edifying, and exalting. We are in this thing together. To the family of the deceased, we are praying for you. Read John 14. Just to breathe is a gift from God. Your loved one now has the Ultimate and Eternal Life that's promised to all of us who Believe. Be Blessed ans be strong in the Lord and in the courage of His Might. In our weakness, God's Strength is made Perfect.

CantTrustaDumbocrat
CantTrustaDumbocrat 05/24/08 - 08:19 am
No edst I do not know this

No edst I do not know this woman but I have some knowledge of the case. If you read my comment I said that she should not have left the scene and she has been charged with that. But so far that is all she has been charged with. I was not defending any of the drivers, I was only pointing out to PT that if she read the article it is plain to see that her comment about disliking motorcycle riders is way off base. Like many of her comments.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/24/08 - 08:27 am
Georgialina, didn't you read

Georgialina, didn't you read my comment? You seem to have made numerous wrong assumptions about what I wrote. I don't believe I pointed a finger at anyone specific. I just made a comment born of experience. Could it be my style of writing is just a little bit confusing to some?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/24/08 - 08:43 am
Yesterday it said she hit

Yesterday it said she hit both of them 100 yards apart. My first though was it was intentional, but now maybe she lost control after the first hit.. I'll bet she was drunk thats why she fled. Either it was on purpose, she was so drunk she didn't know she hit 2 people, or she did know she hit them and she ran to be able to sober up and hope she never got found!! I know this is all speculation, but sure doesn't look good for her!!!!!! My deepest sympathy to Mr. Cohr's family and I hope you at least get justice and closure through the courts, though I know it will never take away the pain.

dani
dani 05/24/08 - 09:26 am
Georgialina probably posted

Georgialina probably posted before she finished her coffee.

426Hemi
426Hemi 05/24/08 - 09:44 am
SoG, sounds like Carries Mom!

SoG, sounds like Carries Mom! Are you truly the "Son Of God? Hope not. God made her run those poor bikers over!!!

pofwe
pofwe 05/24/08 - 10:23 am
SonofGod for the love of Pete

SonofGod for the love of Pete please proofread your posts. Thanky!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/24/08 - 11:05 am
Georgialina, she made a

Georgialina, she made a statement that is true about motorcycles, if you want to insult someone at least wait until they make a post worth insulting them for. Her post said nothing about this woman in particular, she just made statement of cause or observation that is usually a good one in motorcycle accidents. You did not say one word about the post under hers that questioned the cyclists. Obviously you have it out for PT. To me it sounds like your the one who put our foot in your mouth and posted something unintelligent. And the so far she has not been cited part of your post, is probably because she was able to go home and sober up and if thats the case I hope they find out and put her in jail for a long long time!!! All any of us can do is spectulate but try reading the posts before you commence to insulting, unless she deleted something I didn't see, your comment about PT's was just childish.

jack
jack 05/24/08 - 11:08 am
Son of God, there is a

Son of God, there is a Religious forum for your preaching. How about using it, as I get mine on Sunday.

jack
jack 05/24/08 - 11:13 am
Driving an SUV-wonder if she

Driving an SUV-wonder if she had her cell phone stuffed in her ear. Biggest danger on the road these days. I would bet that she was drunk at that time of the morning. BTW, there is no specific times of day to ride your motorcycle. My daughter rides hers and it scares hell out of me, as there are those who have no respect for them on the road.

sad for everyone
sad for everyone 05/24/08 - 11:32 am
I honestly believe the driver

I honestly believe the driver of the SUV did not intentionally try and hit the motorcyclists. Perhaps she thought she hit a deer and pulled over and didn't see anything and that's why she left the scence. Last night the local news said that the two motorcyclists got tangeld up and one of them wrecked (the man who was not seriously injured). The reporter went on to say that Mr. Cohrs turned his bike around to go check on the wrecked motorcyclist and that was when they believe he was struck by the SUV. Nonetheless, I feel so much pain for the family that lost a dear loved one when Mr. Cohrs died. It is something terrible and a horrible tragedy. But, as time goes on, I think it will be publicly revealed that Mrs. Carpenter made a horrible mistake but that the wreck wasn't intentional. She will have to live with the repercussions of this for the rest of her life and that poor family will have to live without Mr. Cohrs for the rest of theirs. No one wins in this. Mrs. Carpenter has a family too...she's a mom to young children. So sad.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 05/24/08 - 11:42 am
You are right sad for

You are right sad for everyone, but when you flee the scene, it makes it look pretty bad. I know people react differently when they are scared but, there is no way I would have fled if it was just an accident. Seems as if there was a reason for fleeing. One wreck maybe you didnt know what you hit and didn't see anything, 2 I'm not so sure. I'd like to think it was an innocent accident because I hate drunk drivers so much!! We will see when they are done investigating I guess.

sad for everyone
sad for everyone 05/24/08 - 11:55 am
If she hit them both, yes

If she hit them both, yes that does make it look really bad for her-hitting two people and not realizing it , is a pretty far fetched argument. HOWEVER, the latest report I heard was that she hit the one motorcyclists, Mr. Cohr. At that time of night, she probably had been drinking. That particular road is extremely dark and if she had been drinking and hit him she might have thought she had hit a deer or a large animal. She might have even pulled over and not have seen anything and then drove off. Do I think she should be punished for that? ABSOLUTELY! A family lost their a loved one and someone died because of it. But, it seems as if a lot of people are making her out to be a cold, pre-meditated murderer who went after motorcyclists and I don't think that is true. I guess everyone is just speculating right now and we will have to wait for more information to come out. However, I honestly believe the story will turn out differently then what a lot of people have assumed.

God save America
God save America 05/24/08 - 12:25 pm
helmets will stop head trauma

helmets will stop head trauma if you have a wreck on your motorcycle .people who ride with helmets ought to have to pay 3 times more ins. and a stiff road tax. if you want to kill yourself go ahead you will receive no sympathy from me.

God save America
God save America 05/24/08 - 12:28 pm
i ment that if people don't

i ment that if people don't wear helments their ins. cost 3 times more. and they should pay a high road repairtax

God save America
God save America 05/24/08 - 12:30 pm
helmets will stop head trauma

helmets will stop head trauma if you have a wreck on your motorcycle .people who ride without helmets ought to have to pay 3 times more ins. and a stiff road tax. if you want to kill yourself go ahead you will receive no sympathy from me.

i.b.e.w..electric
i.b.e.w..electric 05/24/08 - 12:31 pm
south carolina will just

south carolina will just about put you in jail for a seatbelt violation but they allow motorcyclist to ride without helmets knowing 90% of fatalities are head injuries.no wonder people in the north make fun of us southerners.

christian134
christian134 05/24/08 - 12:35 pm
Many times, sadly, a car or

Many times, sadly, a car or truck will follow to closely on the heels of the motorcyclist....People need to keep their distance...Plus I often wonder about such accidents if the person might stand a better chance of survival wearing a helmet....My sympathies and prayers going out for all the families involved...

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/24/08 - 12:41 pm
Most northern states don't

Most northern states don't have helmet laws either.

dani
dani 05/24/08 - 02:07 pm
The police won't say where

The police won't say where they found the car. If she ditched it, then she was aware that she had done something very wrong.

The Knave
The Knave 05/24/08 - 02:52 pm
Quoting patriciathomas:

Quoting patriciathomas: "Could it be my style of writing is just a little bit confusing to some?" ----- Perhaps... but it's your style of thinking (rather, un-thinking) that's beyond confusing.

irishgent
irishgent 05/24/08 - 05:25 pm
Im wondering if the suspect

Im wondering if the suspect new the guys on the motorcycles!

KSL
120837
KSL 05/24/08 - 06:26 pm
Well The Knave, I can

Well The Knave, I can understand it. And I can understand yours, as well.

sad for everyone
sad for everyone 05/24/08 - 06:58 pm
Everyone wants such a

Everyone wants such a dramatic story out of this-human nature is to hope for the worse. I have heard stories like she mowed him down on purpose and that she knew him and got mad at him and tried to kill him. These people are not just imaginary characters in a movie that we can make up horribly twisted plots for! The people involved are actual people who have families and young children who are hurting. Just wait for the facts to come out and please quit making such ridiculous speculations.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 05/24/08 - 07:33 pm
I bet all of them were drunk

I bet all of them were drunk leaving that hole in the wall Wild horse saloon @ 01:00

Election Updates

ATLANTA — Now that Georgia Republicans have settled on businessman David Perdue as their nominee for the state's open Senate seat, the real battle begins with a marquee match-up in the ...