Allow concealed guns in restaurants

House Bill 89 brought about changes in the law of the great state of Georgia that will allow law-abiding citizens the ability to protect themselves against those not-so-law-abiding among us who mean to do us harm. The article reporting this event brought forth a concern that many restaurant owners have about allowing patrons with concealed carry permits to carry weapons in their establishments. Let me put their minds at ease.

Fortunately concealed-carry-permitted persons have a better record of holding their guns than many unruly drinkers have of holding their liquor. Perhaps we should have drinkers permitted and registered. At least then we would know who has a record of worthiness to allow them to drink in a restaurant.

I, for one, would find it a great comfort to know that my fellow restaurant patrons have proven themselves by past performance, capable of making good decisions about how much they should drink before turning the key in the ignition of that 4,000 or 5,000 SUVs. Accidental catastrophes caused by the misuse of such vehicles far outnumber any mishaps caused by the accidental discharge of firearms.

Larry Lynn, Evans

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/24/08 - 07:10 am
Concealed weapons should be

Concealed weapons should be allowed everywhere but places that already have a heavy police presence. Court houses, police stations, police bars (and some donut shops) should all be excluded from having civilians armed. Concealed carry should be allowed everywhere else there will be a delay in police protection response.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 07:27 am
I agree. I doubt you will get

I agree. I doubt you will get ONE logical rebuttle.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 05/24/08 - 08:51 am
Concealed guns should

Concealed guns should definitely be allowed in Restaurants. I was at T-Bones the other day and my waitress was terrible, she spilled 3, count em, 3 of my 9 mixed drinks on me, tripped me twice when I got up to get tips off the tables along my way to the rest room and over charged me for the two bottles of absolute vodka I was able to sneak from behind the bar while the bartender was away. If only I had a gun....

Republicant
Republicant 05/24/08 - 08:51 am
I agree with you as well PT.

I agree with you as well PT. My only wish with this would be that a mandatory safety/competency test were included on this bill. Something where a minimum score on a test that included drawing the weapon from a holster, firing and hitting a target from 10 yards or so were involved.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/24/08 - 09:06 am
Absolutely Republicant. The

Absolutely Republicant. The true meaning of gun control is very important. The concealed carry permit should be very difficult to qualify for. Competency = safety.

JesusIsComing
JesusIsComing 05/24/08 - 09:35 am
Just an example: I have a

Just an example: I have a concealed weapon permit. Once I was in a store and a man stole some expensive items and walked out. The anti-theft alarm sounded and after seeing that no one else was going to do anything, I gave chase. I pulled the man out of his car, pulled up his large sweatshirt, and all the stolen items spilled on the ground. The manager came out of the store and said, "Hold him." At that point the man ran and I was left holding the torn hood of his sweat shirt. I chased him briefly but my son was already way ahead of me - so I returned to the car to keep his accomplice from leaving. The police came and took a report. AT NO POINT DID I EVEN THINK ABOUT PULLING OUT MY WEAPON. Most people who have used weapons before have a healthy respect for their power and will not abuse them. Concealed weapons in the hands of good people are the best deterrent we have to make the bad people with weapons think before THEY act OR take care of business when they don't. Blessings.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 05/24/08 - 10:15 am
Allow concealed weapons in

Allow concealed weapons in restaurants & bars. Lower the drinking age to 18. If you're old enough to join the Army and go to war certainly you're old enough to drink.....with a concealed weapon....and a Ga education that is the lowest in the nation..shouldn't we legalise marijuana, gambling would be good...oh and prostitution...

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 10:18 am
Republicant....SC requires

Republicant....SC requires just such a test. That's why SC doesn't recognize a GA concealed permit.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 10:23 am
I4putt....are you trying to

I4putt....are you trying to prove my point that PT wouldn't get ONE single logical rebuttle....You are doing a great job.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 05/24/08 - 10:23 am
Does anyone know if it is

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a SC license while living in GA. I have a GA concealed weapon permit but as you said JohnC.S that doesnt count in SC.

I certainly agree with all the comments made today and believe we would be safer if we could carry them in establishments. Yes, I would be happy to take a competency and safety test!

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 10:26 am
Not sure

Not sure brimisjoshan.....there may be a non-resident permit, but I'm sure it would require a training course. SLED should have the info you need.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 05/24/08 - 10:27 am
Thanks JohnC.S.!

Thanks JohnC.S.!

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 10:40 am
Does it matter to the

Does it matter to the naysayers that, without exception, all states that have allowed concealed weapons have seen a drop in violent crimes, and that the violent crimes committed by licensed carriers was in the single digits? Probably not.....they will just continue to work on emotion and post tripe about legalizing pot, prostitution, etc. I guess that's the only recourse when you have no logical argument.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 10:45 am
brimisjoshan. Apparently you

brimisjoshan. Apparently you have to own property in SC to get a permit here. Here's a link to the SLED site. http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP#6

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 11:03 am
If you can get a non-resident

If you can get a non-resident permit from one of the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, and Wyoming, SC will recognize them as well. I'm not sure, but some of them may issue non-resident permits without the need for a safety course, but I doubt it.

jack
jack 05/24/08 - 11:54 am
Republicant, I agree !(gasp)

Republicant, I agree !(gasp) Here in SC you must take a firearms course from a certified instructor before you are issued a carry permit.

mgroothand
mgroothand 05/24/08 - 01:15 pm
Then answer a question for

Then answer a question for me. Is it legal to carry an unconcealed handgun in public?

thetroll
thetroll 05/24/08 - 01:17 pm
to jack i recently inquired

to jack i recently inquired about a carry permit in sc i was told that it was available but it would cost a total of 150.00 ,i live on disability and this is more than i can afford to spend on something that i could do without .i do not understand why it should be so expensive for something that i need to protect myself

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 02:55 pm
mgroothand.....It depends on

mgroothand.....It depends on the state. I know is SC it is not legal to carry an unconcealed weapon in public unless you are going to or comming from hunting or fishing.

mgroothand
mgroothand 05/24/08 - 03:17 pm
John Carl Strauss: Years ago

John Carl Strauss: Years ago I lived in the state of Wash. a neighboring state had an elk hunting season and every red blooded male in Wash carried a holstered "six shooter" for the entire season. No, I have no idea why.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 04:17 pm
It makes more sense to me to

It makes more sense to me to have it out in the open. If you were going to assault someone, would you pick the guy that MIGHT have a gun, or the guy that you KNOW has a gun?

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 07:27 pm
I've never been in a car

I've never been in a car accident, yet I think insurance is a good idea....even if it isn't required by law. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Just the boy scout in me I suppose.

crazyoldman
crazyoldman 05/24/08 - 07:39 pm
They can have my gun when

They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold stiff fingers.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 08:00 pm
You are more likely to

You are more likely to survive a car accident than a gunshot.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 08:01 pm
I'm still waiting for a

I'm still waiting for a logical reason to ban the carry of weapons.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 08:10 pm
I'm sure they pried his gun

I'm sure they pried his gun loose before they buried him.

JohnCarlStrauss 05/24/08 - 08:22 pm
My gun is not to protect my

My gun is not to protect my property, it's to protect my life and the lives of my family. My hope is to go my entire life and never kill another person (after the war). But I would hate to see my children killed because I don't like violence.

KSL
KSL 05/24/08 - 08:35 pm
Jake, I don't live in a

Jake, I don't live in a neighborhood that requires me to be armed based on history. I have had a weapon since the 80's at the suggestion of a friend. I took a class in how to use it and passed with great proficiency. Every year we have a safety presentation at one of our Realtor meetings. Every year the emphasis on means for personal protection increases due to the evidence of crimes perpetrated against Realtors. We live in changing times. I am considering the concealed weapons permit. However, in SC, you have to have permission from the homeowner, so it seems I would have to leave my protection in the car. That just doesn't do a whole lot of good. We are constantly told never to meet someone you do not know at a house, especially a vacant house. We are told to have everyone come to our office first and make a copy of their driver's license before leaving to show any property. As a matter of practicality, etc we Realtors are too often willing to fore go that and give each caller the benefit of the doubt. For that, some of us lose our lives.

mgroothand
mgroothand 05/24/08 - 09:17 pm
KathieSue, I think that being

KathieSue, I think that being a female real estate agent agent is a very dangerous job in today's world. Many of them promote themselves with photos on business cards and real estate magazines. Perverts, with no intentions of buying real estate will focus on those that appeal to them. Even with the protection methods in place, as you describe, the chances are of something going wrong are great. Please be careful!

KSL
KSL 05/24/08 - 10:31 pm
Thank you mgroothand. We are

Thank you mgroothand. We are given great advice as to how to minimize the risks as much as possible. By the way, I would love to exchange some information with you. kslouder@bellsouth.net.

Paine president resigns

George C. Bradley resigned as president of the embattled Paine College on Tuesday as the institution continues efforts to maintain its accreditation after several years of financial mismanagement ...