Family refusing to work with police in stabbing

AIKEN --- Authorities have excluded Ann Fox Smith's daughter as a suspect in her death, but three other family members are refusing to cooperate with investigators, a police spokesman said Wednesday.

And that is affecting efforts to find Ms. Smith's killer, said Lt. David Turno of the Aiken Department of Public Safety.

"We can't exclude these people," Lt. Turno said. "We need their cooperation."

On April 25 Ms. Smith's body was found at her Whitney Drive home after she didn't show up for work at Kennedy Middle School, where she was a special education teacher for 18 years. She had been stabbed to death.

Lt. Turno said that after the discovery of the 47-year-old woman's body detectives spoke with her estranged husband and two sons at least twice.

Since then, he said, Wilson Smith Jr. and one of his teenage sons have retained attorneys and have refused to speak with detectives. Ms. Smith's other son does not have an attorney, he said, but also won't talk to investigators.

Her daughter, Lauren Smith, has cooperated with detectives, however.

"We've been able to account for her whereabouts," he said, "and she's been excluded."

Detectives have also ruled out a number of friends, co-workers and acquaintances, he said. Detectives don't believe the stabbing was random or done by a stranger, Lt. Turno said.

Now they're hoping someone will come forward with information. The killer is a danger to everyone, Lt. Turno said.

"They need to be mindful that this person has killed," he said.

Reach Sandi Martin at (803) 648-1395, ext. 111, or sandi.martin@augustachronicle.com.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/22/08 - 06:24 am
Shame on the family for not

Shame on the family for not helping find their mothers killer. If this were my mother i'd be throwing them suspects, if I was not the guilty party. What are they really hiding?

Inkjet
Inkjet 05/22/08 - 07:10 am
If they don't cooperate,

If they don't cooperate, aren't they obstructing justice, and need to be charged as such? Keep them as suspects until the investigation ends.

Inkjet
Inkjet 05/22/08 - 07:14 am
Anyway, I thought that they

Anyway, I thought that they were saying she was estranged or divorcing her husband, and that he was pinned with the murder. They said there were no signs of a break in, so it would seem it was someone she knew. The way students are these days, you never know. She was dedicated to her students, and people usually meet their demise from their life's passions. Someone definitely knows something, but who?

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 05/22/08 - 08:37 am
I agree with Inkjet, those

I agree with Inkjet, those refusing to cooperate in a death should be charged with obstruction of justice.

Newsreader
Newsreader 05/22/08 - 08:51 am
Those that are not helping

Those that are not helping must have a reason for hindering the investigation. I know that if my mother was killed, I would do everything I could to help the police. If my wife were killed, I would want the police to exclude me as quickly as possible, because they could then focus on finding the guilty. A father protecting his son, or the sons protecting the father is why they are quiet. I hope I am never in the that situation. I pray for all of the family, that they will realize that the truth is the only way to get justice for the survivors, and help for the guilty. I pray for God's comfort for all: Her family, her friends, her students.

secarmain
secarmain 05/22/08 - 09:48 am
You can't jail somone for

You can't jail somone for refusing to talk. It's known as the right to remain silent. If you're smart you'll use it. Even if you're not guilty. If I were a prime suspect (EX HUsbands are prime) i'd keep my mouthshut too. They have to prove you did it, you don't have to prove you didn't.

426Hemi
426Hemi 05/22/08 - 10:52 am
Bookem' Danno! Hey, if you

Bookem' Danno! Hey, if you are innocent until proven guilty, why then can the authorities hold you in the slammer? And believe me, yes, you'd better be able to prove yourself in the court of law!

yak11
yak11 05/22/08 - 11:52 am
Guys its Aiken...good lord

Guys its Aiken...good lord what do you expect?

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 05/22/08 - 12:42 pm
inkjet, they are exercising

inkjet, they are exercising their rights, as any intelligent person would and should do.
the situation has gone crazy in this country, this is not russia, though most cops dress like it...

mable8
mable8 05/22/08 - 12:57 pm
Remaining silent is not an

Remaining silent is not an obstruction of justice. There is no law that says one has to provide information to the authorities. And while it is true that one is "innocent until proven guilty," that, unfortunately, is not always the case. Sometimes, it is a 'rush to judgment,' other times, it is purely circumstantial evidence, and at other times, it can be because the authorities want to cover up some criminal act they are responsible for--and the individual targeted makes a good patsy. As for the family's refusal to cooperate, their silence will only drag the case out longer--however, if the authorities did an appropriate and thorough initial investigation, preserving the evidence, then they may, by now, have been able to eliminate either all three uncooperative family members, or at least 1 or 2 of them. Too, if there is something to hide, it may not even be related to the crime but might prove embarrassing. I cannot say I sympathize with the silent family members; but it is a shame that such a talented life has been wasted and my prayers are with HER.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 05/22/08 - 01:39 pm
I guess you have played with

I guess you have played with too much lightening. You would be singing a different tune, if it was a " Brutha or Sistas" as you call them. But at least you are predictiable. With statement like " It's sheer stupidity to think that people are not going to drive DUI, what, suddenly you don't go to work, don't go to the store, don't go out to eat". You said that in defense of Harbin. You went on to defend Krouse on his land deal. However, I am willing to bet had they been a " Brrutha or a sistas" you would not be so quick to defend them.

john
john 05/22/08 - 01:55 pm
Hypo, [filtered word] are you talking

Hypo, [filtered word] are you talking about? I must not see the post you are responding to. I thought you never brought up race. Now you are playing the "if it was" bs?

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/22/08 - 03:23 pm
Scary thought: we could

Scary thought: we could actually live in a nation where our prices and wages are controlled, healthcare and housing are all government provided, all industry is state run and the right to remain a silent individual will be a memory. It takes one precedent to start the slide.

WHATDIDIDO
WHATDIDIDO 05/22/08 - 06:36 pm
I guess if you chime in at

I guess if you chime in at 1:55 pm, you may just miss something. If I wrote a post, evidently it was in response to what playlikethunder posted. The fact that it was censored and he or they deleted it, is not may fault. I know you were waiting for the opurtunity to jump my way, maybe next time you will get up a little earlier. I am sure that playlike knows exactly what I was talking about, that is why I directed it to him and not you.

marykay60
marykay60 05/22/08 - 10:27 pm
I know the older son of Ann

I know the older son of Ann Smith. He is a wonderful person. Have the investigator's not realized that he was a student at Clemson and was in the middle of exams. If they investigated right they might know all this. If they have DNA, why can they not figure out if all or any of the other's could be ruled out.

tonytonytony
tonytonytony 05/22/08 - 11:43 pm
You can take this to the

You can take this to the bank. I have know Ray Scott the man in charge of Detectives for Aiken Dept of Public Safety for thirty plus years and a lot of other officers and detectives for many years. It does not matter if the family talks or not. Ray Scott and the rest of Aiken Dept of Public Safety will not rest until this case is solved. From Chief Frommer down to every road officer. They take pride in the safety of the city of Aiken. NONE of them will rest until it is solved. If your out there and think you got away with something, wrong. Look over your sholder. There is a group that takes their job very serious and they will catch you. Not a question of if, just when. Take that to the bank.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 05/23/08 - 01:28 pm
hypoctit2008,a very

hypoctit2008,a very appropriate name,as anyone can see.
a few days ago i would tear you a new one, but in keeping with my new found philosophy, i'll just be content to consider the source.
you,justus4,shivas,and a few others are among the most racially challenged,cry baby people i've ever seen or heard.you worry about your own damn business,i'll handle mine.
i will point out that i don't care for your crude attempt at ebonics, i feel it is a dumbing down of the black race, and that's the last thing you people need.
it's spelled"brother" and "sister", but the funny thing is how really close you people act when things don't go your way...suddenly there's a hell of a lot of "sibling" rivalry......