Enough with this anonymous minutiae

The Augusta Chronicle's Rants and Raves section, and other such sections in other newspapers -- those warts on the end of the papers' noses -- are irritating, serve no intelligent purpose and would make the paper more appealing if they were removed!

Excising that trivia would leave more room for news, features or letters with a purpose, which are signed, for goodness sakes! I mean, who really cares if Lucy's dog left a "cow patty" in Marissa's yard (except Marissa), Junior needs to turn down his amplifier after 7 o'clock, or someone needs to tell the hoods to stop razzing my (perfect) kid?

Look at it this way: If someone has a reasonable gripe or kudo, one that actually needs attention, the way to address it is either write a letter and sign it, go to the proper authorities, attend city and or council meetings, actually talk to the people involved instead of calling the paper, or go next door and tell Lucy to keep her dog in her yard!

Actually, perhaps the columns should be in the papers' comic sections, where they would fit right in!

Molly C. Gray, Aiken, S.C.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/22/08 - 05:11 am
Molly Gray, no one is

Molly Gray, no one is stopping you from starting your own newspaper. Then you can run it like a paper should be run. That's one of the many good things about America.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 05/22/08 - 06:03 am
It makes you wonder if this

It makes you wonder if this lady had meds to take in the first place. Here she is clearly posting a rant in what section? Opinion section!

christian134
christian134 05/22/08 - 06:20 am
Oh lighten up Molly :-)

Oh lighten up Molly :-)

soldout
soldout 05/22/08 - 07:12 am
We need more freedom of

We need more freedom of speech; not less.

aftbrn
aftbrn 05/22/08 - 08:56 am
The rants and raves and LTE

The rants and raves and LTE sections of this paper are the only thing entertaining to read on a daily basis. The rest of the paper is the same old boring news day after day. What happened to the days when reports actually hit the streets looking for local news to but in the paper, instead of recycling the same old crap day after day. Withou rants and rave and LTE I wouldn't even bother reading this paper. It's the closesst thing we have to real home town news generated by the people of this town.

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/22/08 - 10:03 am
I hope the little lady is

I hope the little lady is highly offended by my inane, insane, and generally offensive remarks. Mission Accomplished. One of the few pleasure I still have in life is being an obnoxious [filtered word]. Did I fail to mention this women is an idiot and likely sexually frustrated-shhhhh. She wants it a secret. I agree with aftbrn. This women is a nazi and would likely burn books and such too. The question is why does she continue to read them if they offend her so much. HMMMMMM. Very interesting.

BigPix
BigPix 05/22/08 - 10:54 am
More bad news for you Molly.

More bad news for you Molly. Like it or not, the rants and raves are here to stay. According to NPR, newspapers the way you know it will devote more resources to news analysis. The online model, like the one we are on, will provide more forum spaces for blogs and posts. These "annoying minutiae" are being read by editors from all over. These are the forums where they mine for the next story. This is an exciting time for mass media. A win-win situation for all. Anonymous bloggers and posters get to say what's going on in their respective communities. If the editors sense a trend, expect an article regarding the most pressing issues. Read the preceding posts. Those are the intended outcomes of this evolving model. Can't say it any better.

shivas
shivas 05/22/08 - 11:37 am
Molly, I agree. I take it

Molly, I agree. I take it you are referring to patriciathomas, christian134, johnsmith, jack, pureinvestments, inchristslove, dani... I like to think I am the voice of intelligence on these blogs. I am sure many will agree.

dani
dani 05/22/08 - 11:57 am
I agree with that . All on

I agree with that . All on the above list has a completely different set of values as does shivas.

christian134
christian134 05/22/08 - 12:23 pm
I am having a tiny giggle

I am having a tiny giggle shivas...:-) Oh my my shivas....

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/22/08 - 12:57 pm
Without this forum my alter

Without this forum my alter ego-Bizarro wouldn't exist. He is a white intelligent college educated egomaniacal wise [filtered word]. I am a shy african-amerian introvert with a GED, but I did sleep in an Econo-Lodge last nite.

yak11
yak11 05/22/08 - 01:04 pm
LOL..someone apparently got

LOL..someone apparently got off their medication recently.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/22/08 - 01:08 pm
She must be a poster. Who

She must be a poster. Who ruffled her feathers?

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/22/08 - 01:16 pm
I like BigPix's take. We may

I like BigPix's take. We may be influencing world policy. Perhaps some of Bizarro's ideas will come to the attention of those in the know. Maybe I will get discovered and be on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, or get a cushy govt job with an intelligence agency.

shivas
shivas 05/22/08 - 01:25 pm
Molly is one of 3 people: 1.

Molly is one of 3 people:
1. Ben Harbin
2. Marion Williams
3. Don Grantham

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/22/08 - 01:43 pm
They are all the same people.

They are all the same people. He is like Eddie Murphy on Dr. Doolittle. He plays all the parts. Tom Cruise is pretty good with da disguises on Mission Impossible too. Dang. Hard to tell they are all fakes. hee,hee,hee.

mable8
mable8 05/22/08 - 02:28 pm
Good Golly, Miss Molly: Who

Good Golly, Miss Molly: Who got into your cheerios? Everyone has a right to their opinion, including you, and want to share those opinions with others. Since many of us WORK or have LITTLE ONES AT HOME, what better way then to express ourselves by having a daily meeting where comments are given? Of course, we do not always agree on some things, but that is the beauty of debate--however informal that debate is. If you do not like our style, I understand that no-nonsense Wall Street Journal is still open to NEW subscribers.

shivas
shivas 05/22/08 - 02:43 pm
I get all my news from the

I get all my news from the rants and raves, which is why all my friends think I am intelligent. I even talked last night about that dang fish Bizzarro was using to prove evolution. I am even better at the water cooler. I quit reading books since I discovered rants and raves!!!!!

teabag1963
teabag1963 05/22/08 - 02:49 pm
so bizarro that was you in

so bizarro that was you in the room next door to us last night?thanks for keeping my visiting sister and her kids up all night, shouting "ride em cowboy!" then clarence carter, clarence carter,clarence carter all night long.my sister wanted to call amw because she though someone was getting killed, i wanted to call cheaters because i wanted someone to get busted for cheating on their spouse.and her kids? they had to be evaluated this morning because they won't stop singing "stroke it to the left,stroke it to the right".

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/22/08 - 03:05 pm
I had a similar opinion as

I had a similar opinion as the lte writer orginally. Even wrote my very own LTE. At that time, I hadn't read too many blogs online and I thought the RNR board was vicious, nasty, and at times a chat room. After visiting other blogs, this board is not exceptional in any respect. Some of the bloggers are quite reasonable and respectable adversaries, others are outright idiots, but all make up America and Augusta and I've decided I was originally wrong. H.T. Rentfrow

critter
critter 05/22/08 - 03:11 pm
Go suck a lemon, Molly - if

Go suck a lemon, Molly - if you don't like it, don't read it.

condelieeza
condelieeza 05/22/08 - 05:11 pm
Good golly, Miss Molly

Good golly, Miss Molly
Sure like to ball
Good golly, Miss Molly
Sure like to ball
When you're rockin' and a-rollin'
Can't hear your mama call

1beachbum
1beachbum 05/22/08 - 05:12 pm
This woman is crazy! I read

This woman is crazy! I read the blogs just to have some entertainment in my daily routine at work. Shivas, Bizarro, patriciatomas, and others really crack me up! Some of the ideas are a little off, and some are even downright mean, but if you don't like it DON"T READ THEM!

Freeman
Freeman 05/22/08 - 07:02 pm
The whole idea of complaining

The whole idea of complaining publicly on a blog is to convey your irritation at something that offends you in hopes you either find camaraderie or opposition. It forms the basis for debating any argument which identifies problems of one or more and helps find middle ground where two or more parties might find relief and/or solution(s). Disagreement often leads to compromise that leaves everyone agreeable in the end. Where there is peace, love prevails. Besides, I know I can blog excessively on matters I think are important to me and gather feedback on my complaints or view points and helps me correct my errors in thinking and to discover the general consensus among peers. If your complaint has to do with why the on line paper is not like an 'old school' broadsheet printed rag, well I suggest you are missing the whole point of 'why' it is ON LINE! And another thing, I can print 1200 characters each and every time I blog and this furthers my experience as a writer and dealing with criticism for what I write. It sharpens my thinking, broadens my narrow perspectives, strengthens my valid arguments, and I could go on..It has at least one benefit... I am better because of it. So there!

HillGuy
HillGuy 05/22/08 - 08:57 pm
There are many parts of

There are many parts of newspapers that I I don't enjoy or get much use out of (such as entertainment, gossip, and style sections)..I simply choose to ignore them rather than demand trhe paper remove them. Just because I may not like something doesn't mean there are others who don't.

KSL
KSL 05/22/08 - 10:25 pm
Do the ads irritate you, Miss

Do the ads irritate you, Miss Molly, as much as the rants and raves? Remove them and there would be much more room for news. I bet you don't read all of the ads. If you can skip over the ads, skip over the other uninteresting to you sections.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 05/22/08 - 10:28 pm
How do you know how your

How do you know how your counterpart thinks if you censor his opinion? I don't always agree with PT or RCR, Rose, Bizarro Shivas or others but I do read their opinions. Lets us know where we stand among each other and how our ideas stand up against each others. I find myself agreeing with people that I'd never guess in a million years I would agree with. Makes us better people in the long run with a diverse knowledge of all things big and small.

KSL
KSL 05/22/08 - 11:14 pm
Being from Aiken, I know who

Being from Aiken, I know who Molly Gray is. I'm pretty surprised at the letter. It has been fun to see people who disagree with each other on a daily basis unite on this topic.

gnx
gnx 05/23/08 - 02:44 am
Miss Molly should take up the

Miss Molly should take up the state paper and indulge in reading the personal ads. She'll realize our cheery banter is rather appealing after all.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/23/08 - 05:05 am
Thank you Molly. You've

Thank you Molly. You've inspired shivas to write some of his best comments. I knew he was capable of humor.