Bill would let bikers run lights

COLUMBIA --- South Carolina may join five states that let motorcyclists, mo-ped drivers and bicyclists run red lights that don't change within a couple of minutes.

The House and Senate sent a bill Thursday to Gov. Mark Sanford that allows that, even though it raises concerns about whether intersections will become more dangerous.

Supporters say motorcyclists get trapped at red lights with sensors embedded in the road that don't respond to smaller vehicles. The legislation would require them to stop and allow them to go through the red light if the signal doesn't change within two minutes as long as they can do so safely.

Arkansas, Idaho, Minnesota, Tennessee and Wisconsin all have similar laws, said Imre Szauter, who oversees state legislation for the American Motorcyclist Association. He notes none of them have seen increased fatalities because of the law changing,

Among the states that allow post-stop, red-light running, only Tennessee requires the use of helmets, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.

South Carolina's death rates on motorcycles rose from 88 in 2004 to 109 in 2006, the last year for which the agency has numbers.

"I think the motorcyclist community is going to be very, very careful in the use of this," Mr. Szauter said.

But what about other drivers?

"It invites a good deal of subjective law interpretation -- everybody sort of deciding on their own," said Doug Hecox, spokesman for the Federal Highway Administration in Washington.

dennismyers
dennismyers 05/16/08 - 06:15 am
ga has a law like this also

ga has a law like this also how do i get a copy of this. thank you

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 05/16/08 - 06:53 am
So whose fault is it if a

So whose fault is it if a motorcyclist is hit by a driver obeying the traffic light? If the car has a green light, it's not going to stop if a motorcycle runs the red light on the cross street.

christian134
christian134 05/16/08 - 07:09 am
It is basically a silly

It is basically a silly stupid law that unfortunately has all the makings of a disaster waiting to happen......

DoubleD
DoubleD 05/16/08 - 08:15 am
Yeah, so I will just sit

Yeah, so I will just sit there on my bike at the light at 4am on my way to work until around 6am when someone else just happens to trip the sensor. There is no other choice but to run these lights even before the law. I've been sitting in the left hand turn lane and had the lights cylce over and over without ever giving me the light because no one esle was travelling forward or turning left. It would go red for cross traffic and green for the oncoming traffic. THen green again for the cross traffic. The entire time with me sitting there like a fool. So, geniuses, tell me what the fix is.

dobenator
dobenator 05/16/08 - 09:01 am
How about a more sensitive

How about a more sensitive sensor in the road?

sjgraci
sjgraci 05/16/08 - 09:08 am
How about a

How about a motorcycle/bicycle crossing button?

peppernik
peppernik 05/16/08 - 11:33 am
Casting Pool, you are a fool.

Casting Pool, you are a fool.

426Hemi
426Hemi 05/16/08 - 12:55 pm
Same thing goes for those who

Same thing goes for those who sit a car-length behind the white stop-line. At some intersections you sit too far back and they won't trip either, no matter the vehicle. I've run red, as long as it's clear, after sitting through several "cycles" of the light. If there are "cagers" around (car/truck drivers, etc.) if I can, I'll hang back a bit to let them jump in front of me so they can trip the sensors. I'd venture to say most bikers are not going to abuse this law, just to zip through an intersection. For those who do go through, they, unlike a lot of car/truck drivers will be paying MUCH more attention to oncoming/turning vehicles, and cross-traffic! THINK, SEE MOTORCYCLES!!!

426Hemi
426Hemi 05/16/08 - 01:18 pm
There are many products that

There are many products that claim to help the biker with red light woes. Here is one product that makes this claim at the link below. I don't endorse, nor disclaim it, as I've never used these devices, and probably never will.