Spry's decision could hurt Paine later

Paine College Athletic Director Ron Spry's recent refusal to approve funding so that his golf team could compete in the PGA Minority Collegiate Golf Championship is shocking. How can a school deny its student athletes the opportunity to vie for the championship that they have battled to qualify for all season?

Through stellar play all season that included a win at the SIAC Tournament Championship in April, the Lions qualified for the national championship tournament. The Paine College golf team was one of the favorites heading into the tournament, and had an opportunity to bring home a national championship in just its third year of existence. Paine College did not field a golf team until 2005.

The most unfortunate aspect is that these young men are not just stellar athletes, but they are racial trendsetters. Against all odds, these gentlemen have excelled in a sport that is dominated by whites and has historically excluded blacks. Many of the courses they play would not have allowed them on the grounds just a few decades ago. It is ironic that a predominantly black college famous for its unbiased guiding principles would commit such an injustice to its own student athletes.

Ron Spry's awkward explanation for not funding the trip offers more reasons to support the athletes than deny the funding: "I would not waste my time or energy to prohibit any individual or any sport from being successful. I think common sense for anyone would know that as athletic director you'd like to see all programs successful because it enhances the institution," he explained.

This decision could forever damage Paine College's stellar reputation. Prospective students, alumni, donors and athletic recruits may begin to eschew the institution and gravitate toward institutions that do not put a price tag on supporting their student athletes.

Keith G. Albert, Augusta

joesimpson
joesimpson 05/13/08 - 04:02 am
Once again I agree with this

Once again I agree with this writer as well. Someone should lose thier job over this blunder.

justputtin
justputtin 05/13/08 - 06:37 am
I agree with this writer and

I agree with this writer and joesimpson

shivas
shivas 05/13/08 - 06:58 am
Please resign Mr. Spry. This

Please resign Mr. Spry. This position is beyond you. Shameful.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 05/13/08 - 08:34 am
For once, I agree with

For once, I agree with shivas.

LaTwon
LaTwon 05/13/08 - 08:40 am
justus............. where are

justus............. where are you? please tell us how this is whitey's fault and how they implanted a chip into mr spry to control his decision making to keep minorities off of golf courses. u know there had to be a secret meeting to do this.......... : )

Yak1
Yak1 05/13/08 - 08:55 am
LaTwon okay let me see if I

LaTwon okay let me see if I can cover it. Of Course we all "KNOW" Golf is a white man's game. If Paine had gone to this and won then there would be a great problem. How is a historically Black College going to hold its head up proudly when they win in such a racist sport? Personally I think the Spry didn't want to chance having the coach of the Golf team do better than his big "$$$ Money$$$$ Sports.

Signal Always
Signal Always 05/13/08 - 09:05 am
TO YAK1: How would Paine hold

TO YAK1: How would Paine hold their head up by winning the tournament in such a racist sport? I'd assume as easily as Tiger holds his head high every time he wins a major...which is very, very often. FOR PISTOL: EDITED

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 05/13/08 - 09:16 am
Paine College missed this

Paine College missed this badly mostly due to Ron Spry, he will never support any team financially if it's not the mens basketball team. I hope the students don't transfer, Coach Spry is a hinderance to Paine.

Pistol
Pistol 05/13/08 - 10:03 am
Signal, your post is the

Signal, your post is the STUPIDEST post I've read in a long time!

teabag1963
teabag1963 05/13/08 - 11:32 am
golf is not a racist sport,

golf is not a racist sport, anyone can enjoy it, i do and am white also.is the augusta national racist? not everyone can walk around there, i've never been in there, and so? the ad probably figured, and figured correctly that very few students, or staff would attend a tournament.but, if it was a basketball tournament you would have to walk for blocks looking for a parking spot.be real here, almost all minorities love basketball, and most whites like golf, what's the big deal?

Signal Always
Signal Always 05/13/08 - 01:26 pm
Reading comprehension, it's

Reading comprehension, it's good for the mind and soul, Pistol. I would assume if you grasped the concept, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss my post. It was a response to Yak1.

Yak1
Yak1 05/13/08 - 03:08 pm
And I think if you caught the

And I think if you caught the Sarcasm....you might be able to understand.

The truth is this is all too frequent a case at Paine. If it is not Men's Basketball forget it. The only way to change it is the most important sound in College. That is "there is no sound that gets the administration's attention quicker than the sound of the donor's pocketbooks snapping shut."

Pistol
Pistol 05/13/08 - 03:59 pm
Signal, I'm glad you went

Signal, I'm glad you went back and edited so we can comprehend your thoughts. If you want to be understood, I suggest you try writing coherently.