Team's funding shortage is shameful

I read that the Paine College golf team won the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tournament title. However, Athletic Director Ron Spry decided that the team would not participate in the PGA Minority Collegiate Golf Championship ("Paine golf team is told to sit it out," May 10). It was deemed an "unnecessary expenditure."

Please help me understand why Paine College would field a team, play its regular schedule and not participate in an earned visit to the national championship tournament.

All Mr. Spry had to do was to reach out to the community for support. Two weeks went by before the announcement, and that would have been plenty of time to secure the support from the local community. This is a good opportunity for Paine College to fill the athletic director's position with someone who supports athletics.

The decision was not based on academic issues or punishment for some unruly behavior -- merely lack of proper planning from the athletic department. This is unacceptable!

Congratulations to Paine College Golf for an outstanding season. We're proud of your accomplishments, but saddened for the lack of leadership and support for your national championship bid.

Mike Pope, North Augusta, S.C.

joesimpson
joesimpson 05/13/08 - 04:01 am
Well said Mike I couldn't

Well said Mike I couldn't agree more. Someone should lose thier job over this.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/13/08 - 06:15 am
I agree Mike Pope. Mr Spry

I agree Mike Pope. Mr Spry should be held accountable for his action.

shivas
shivas 05/13/08 - 06:56 am
If Mr. Spry had any dignity

If Mr. Spry had any dignity or integrity of his position, he would resign and apologize. This decision is truly unacceptable. How can you ask young men to compete for the honor of the school, and then spit in their face by withholding the true honor of competing on a national level. Shameful indeed!

johnsmith
johnsmith 05/13/08 - 08:40 am
I'm with you, Mike. As I

I'm with you, Mike. As I posted on Saturday, I'd happily have written a check, and hundreds more would have, as well...

Yak1
Yak1 05/13/08 - 08:50 am
#1 Paine College nuff said.

#1 Paine College nuff said.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 05/13/08 - 08:54 am
Don't wait for this to happen

Don't wait for this to happen again...start happily writing those checks now. Support your team year round. Make your availability & willingness known before it happens. We're quick to criticise Mr. Spry, but where were we when they needed us. Send in writing a letter of financial support to your favorite college, team, group, etc. today. This happens all of the time. It can't always be someone else's fault.

jackfruitpaper833
jackfruitpaper833 05/13/08 - 09:11 am
Ron Spry has done this to the

Ron Spry has done this to the Soccer Team, Baseball and Womens Basketball as well, if any team other than his mens basketball team is in the spot light, he will not support them financially.

wise ole man
wise ole man 05/13/08 - 02:03 pm
Paine uses money to send bus

Paine uses money to send bus loads of students to demonstrate in Mississippi but when it comes to promoting something good within their own school they can not find the funds to do so. Pitiful leadership on behalf of the athletic director and the college dean to allow this to happen.

PLAYLIKETHUNDER4
PLAYLIKETHUNDER4 05/13/08 - 03:13 pm
shivas, you mare dead right

shivas, you mare dead right on this one...i think this is inexcusable.
given the chance,i feel the community would have helped....now we'll never know the pride of people coming together for a common good. this would have not only helped the team, but also gave some of us a shot at trying to do the right thing and show some unity.
truly, it shouldn't have come to that, but as i said now it's too late.
very bad deciscion on spry's part.

johnsmith
johnsmith 05/13/08 - 09:01 pm
I4Putt, we did not have the

I4Putt, we did not have the opportunity. Who knew that they were not going, until the story on Friday...?

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.