Cellist, 26, is shot to death in his car

The principal cellist of the Augusta Symphony Orchestra was shot to death early Sunday in an east Augusta neighborhood, police said.

David Reader, 26, was found dead in the driver's seat of his 1998 Toyota Camry about 12:05 a.m. with two gunshots to the chest, said Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Brandon Beckman.

Mr. Reader was pronounced dead at the scene, said Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen. An autopsy is scheduled this morning in Augusta, he said.

The car's motor was still running when it was found at East Augusta Commons in the 400 block of East Boundary, said Investigator Beckman.

The victim's cello was still inside the car, he said.

Jonathan Aceto, an Augusta Symphony official and violinist, said Mr. Reader had just completed his first season with the group and was considered a very talented cellist.

Mr. Reader's final symphony performance was an outdoor Saturday night show at University Hospital's Evans campus.

"David was an outstanding young man, and a superb musician, and a sensitive and intelligent human being," said Sandra Self, the executive director of the symphony.

.Reach Timothy Cox at (706) 823-3217 or tim.cox@augustachronicle.com.

local_media_watch
local_media_watch 05/12/08 - 04:48 am
What were Reader's hobbies,

What were Reader's hobbies, other than Augusta Symphony?

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 05/12/08 - 05:59 am
Who cares? That's probably

Who cares? That's probably the dumbest single question I've seen on this forum and that's quite an achievement.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/08 - 06:14 am
WiskyDick, the implication is

WiskyDick, the implication is that Readers other hobbies could include smoking crack, pedophilia, or just "hangin' in da hood", any of which could get you shot twice in the chest.

justputtin
justputtin 05/12/08 - 06:21 am
Nice job patriciathomass, a

Nice job patriciathomass, a man gets killed and you assume. Let's just say what a tragedy and god bless this man and his family. You're too busy explaining other's posts to be sensitive.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/08 - 06:30 am
sens-i-tive

sens-i-tive

Dark Lord
Dark Lord 05/12/08 - 06:33 am
Not to be insensitive about

Not to be insensitive about the lost of someones life but I do wonder what his reason was for being in that complex at that time of night. It is not a place to be if you don't live there. It is a very high crime area and houses low income people who are known to deal in drugs and illegal activity.

PTHS2
PTHS2 05/12/08 - 06:34 am
PT - Hang in there. NBC

PT - Hang in there. NBC Augusta is reporting it was drug-related.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/12/08 - 06:35 am
I'm sorry for the family and

I'm sorry for the family and their loss, my prayers are with them. But I wouldn't be hanging out in the East Augusta commons at midnight or midday, makes you wonder?

areyoukidding
areyoukidding 05/12/08 - 06:51 am
I am truly sorry for this

I am truly sorry for this man's family. PT's family too.

sickandtired
sickandtired 05/12/08 - 06:53 am
I am still in shock and

I am still in shock and cannot believe that someone as talented as David Reader is gone.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/12/08 - 06:54 am
Yesterday there was a

Yesterday there was a wonderful article about people that grew up on Cherry Avenue in the 50's and 60's before "government intervention". The posters that didn't comment were obvious. augustachronicle.com/stories/051108/met_198414.shtml

christian134
christian134 05/12/08 - 06:56 am
My sympathies to the

My sympathies to the family....In my opinion to hang around in those areas is liken to hanging out in a snake pit and not expecting to get bitten....There are police that don't want to patrol those areas by themselves....

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 05/12/08 - 07:25 am
There are folks in this world

There are folks in this world whom you think you know but have many demons. It is so sad. You don't always know what is going on in someones life. When I read what part of town, I wondered the same thing. However, it does not dismiss the fact someone lost a life.

wise
wise 05/12/08 - 07:27 am
Not everyone that plays for

Not everyone that plays for the Augusta sympathy is rich. He could have been leaving his mothers or babies mothers house. It is a bad area but not all the people who live in this area are drug addicts or even criminals. Stop being so judgemental.

christian134
christian134 05/12/08 - 07:45 am
If I seem to be making

If I seem to be making judgments then I am sorry....It is a sorry state of affairs, if this was an innocent encounter on the part of the young man murdered, that people cannot drive through or live in the area without fear of being gunned down. Fear and looking the other way has become a way of life in these areas and for this reason the gangs are allowed to flourish...No one is talking for fear of dying....

keepinitreal
keepinitreal 05/12/08 - 07:57 am
We don't know every single

We don't know every single detail behind this tragedy, but the time he was in the area was not a good time to be roaming in that area because anyone who lives in or near it knows that it not a good place for late night activity unless you are trying to purchase drugs which usually is what's going on there. I know because I grew up in the bottom(East Boundary) and I lived in the Commons before it was called that. I hope that he was not trying to make a purchase and ended up being robbed which resulted in his death. I've seen that on many an occassion too. It's really sad that what appeared to be such a young, accomplished man's life was cut so short. My sympathy to his family.

Dark Lord
Dark Lord 05/12/08 - 08:04 am
I can assure you folks that

I can assure you folks that he DID NOT live there and his baby momma didn't live there either. No one is being judgemental but simply being factual (for the most part)(lol). No one really knows whats going on with their friends and family. They paint the picture they want you to see and hope that you will just go with it. As much as it hurts us we have to understand that most people live an undercover life. This is usually brought to light in bad situations like this. He probably was a really good person.

Edward1968
Edward1968 05/12/08 - 08:11 am
Once again I see Pat Thomas

Once again I see Pat Thomas showing how "smart" she is. Media Watch's question is as stupid as they come.

lilcarl
lilcarl 05/12/08 - 08:13 am
im deeply saded for the

im deeply saded for the family,and i believe the young man is gone to a better place in heaven,any wherever you go, you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time,i will keep the family in my prayers ,because it mean somthing about you when you are dead an gone ,and still have people say good things about you ,may god bless you all,until these young folks change there way of life ,we will continue to see this type of voilences.god is the key and key. sneak from augusta.

gosh
gosh 05/12/08 - 08:18 am
Fox 54 News said it was a

Fox 54 News said it was a drug deal gone wrong. I agree with Dark Lord.

wsryan
wsryan 05/12/08 - 08:18 am
I knew David since he was

I knew David since he was about five years old and know his family very well. I would hope that this situation would evoke sympathy for people and the families of people who get entrapped in their personal difficulties, rather than disdain or heartless criticism.

saltydog85
saltydog85 05/12/08 - 08:20 am
David spent a couple of years

David spent a couple of years here in Atlanta earning his Master's, and when he completed it, he was hired by the Augusta Symphony. During that time, he went to our Church and we all got to know him real well. He performed for us many times. I very seriously doubt that he was in to anything bad, as he was a very serious Believer. Our entire Church is in shock, as we all got to know him quite well due to our Church being so small. My guess is that he was carjacked and forced to drive to that area to be robbed. He then was executed.

Please give him the benefit of the doubt until an autopsy and investigation of his home is completed. We are very sadened and pray for his family.

yakirz
yakirz 05/12/08 - 08:22 am
As long as this ineffective,

As long as this ineffective, idiotic "war on drugs" continues, so will incidents like this. Prohibition doesn't work; people want and will use drugs, and it would be better if they could get safe drugs from safe sources. I'd prefer a few more addicts to a few more addicts, robbery and murder.
End the drug war now. The only beneficiaries of it are tobacco and alcohol industries, and religious moralists.

Honden
Honden 05/12/08 - 08:32 am
What does a "war on drugs"

What does a "war on drugs" have to do with the death of this young man? Did the crack pipe get upset and shoot back?..I think not. I'd bet that some idiot got mad because this young man didn't have more money to steal.

my2sense
my2sense 05/12/08 - 08:38 am
My condolences go out to the

My condolences go out to the family. Regardless of whether he was buying drugs, seeing his baby's mama visiting friends etc etc, there is a mother left weeping because her baby boy is gone, there is a family that is one member short and a symphony that no longer has a cellist. I am quite sure all of these people are hurting in some shape form of fashion. Your mouth and head can say " well he shouldnt have been down there, or he chose to do drugs" but your heart will say " oh my god, a mother has lost her child." It could have been anybody- we are all just a twinkle of an eye away from a tragedy. Some of yall betta stop trippin, quit judgin and start prayin. My prayers go out to the family and friends left behind who not only have to pick up the pieces but also have to hold them in their hands, piece them together and then live with the mess that has been created by the broken pieces. I am done for the day people- as always be blessed and always remember if could have been _____ (just fill in the blank) Njoy the day.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 05/12/08 - 08:41 am
Besides the fact that he was

Besides the fact that he was shot in a bad part of town, none of you know the details. How about not jumping to conclusions- y'all sound like a bunch of pathetic snobs.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 05/12/08 - 08:43 am
patriciathomas- do you

patriciathomas- do you actually have a job? It sure seems like you're on here all day long..... if you click on "Augusta Jobs" at the top of this page you could find something to do with all your spare time.

ResoundingCadence
ResoundingCadence 05/12/08 - 08:47 am
I also was acquainted with

I also was acquainted with David and am saddened by the loss of his family and friends. There is much speculation about the events leading up to his death, but no one knows anything for sure. Regardless of his reason for being in that neighborhood and situation, his death is a tragedy. And, as many have pointed out, despite any faults or problems he may have had, this man has a loving family and many friends who are now grieving this loss…many who may be reading these comments. I would ask that you be respectful of their grief and keep any harsh or condemning thoughts to yourselves and allow David’s family and friends to grieve their loss without the added burden of your careless and cavalier opinions about the matter. If you would, instead spend your time praying for his family in this horrible time.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 05/12/08 - 09:21 am
The most offensive part of

The most offensive part of PT's remark was the word "pedophilia." You should be ashamed of yourself. Do you even know this man?

Opinionated
Opinionated 05/12/08 - 09:24 am
It's a sad thing to hear.

It's a sad thing to hear.

Developer fined by Georgia EPD

The developer of a Grovetown subdivision has been fined by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division for failing to control erosion and other water quality control violations.