Academics loath to admit media bias

After talking with a journalism professor in 1996 who had written two books condemning the national media for liberal bias, I decided to see if I could find not just a journalism professor who also thought the media was liberal, but simply one who would talk on the subject.

But it's tough, because if a liberal professor says the national media is not liberal, he would be lying, in my view, and if he said that the media is liberal and biased, he would be fired from his liberal institution.

The University of South Carolina's school of journalism, where I attended, had no comment. I asked Kent Middleton, head of journalism at the University of Georgia, what the top problems of the national media were. He said, "Economics, lowering (and) decline (of profits)." So you can look at the national media (CBS, NBC, ABC, Associated Press) without worrying about bias. Right.

As for the charge of media liberal bias, Mr. Middleton said that premise was "a mistake," and that "The New York Times is more than objective." Off campus, that paper is considered very liberal. Mr. Middleton was not so kind when asked about conservative Fox News, saying "Fox is not as objective as some of the other media" and that "(Bill) O'Reilly is not a journalist. I don't listen to him." His show, for some reason, has the largest audience on cable, likely none of them journalism professors.

When asked if he had ever done a scientific study on the news media, Mr. Middleton said: "No."

Why does this sound like a pre- 9-11 ruse by the liberal media, that implied that fellow Democrat Bill Clinton had the terrorism problem under control? That is the crux of the problem: The liberal media cannot criticize a liberal politician, even if the nation is in danger, and liberal journalism professors cannot criticize the liberal media. ...

Tom Hunter, Augusta

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/09/08 - 03:59 am
Did you conduct a scientific

Did you conduct a scientific poll of the journalism professors you approached, Mr. Hunter, or is your own inquiry into this matter purely ad hoc? Maybe the professors thought you had an ax to grind or they didn't have the time or energy to get into a nuanced discussion of the matter. Here is my take. Every major media outlet in United States with few exceptions is part of the corporate media. Money is the bottom line. Readers, listeners & viewers are needed to generate advertising sales. Commercials drive these news organizations. Subscriptions augment the bottom line. Every major corporate media organization is part of the American Establishment. They all have a pro-American Establishment bias as part of their corporate culture. High profile journalists at CNN, CBS, ABC & MSNBC are as well paid as those at FOX. Lou Dobbs, Katie Couric, Bob Schieffer, Chris Matthews, or Charles Gibson are not going to rock the boat or bite the corporate hand that feeds them in the name of objective, investigative journalism. Recently it was revealed that the Pentagon planted pro-war pundits in the media under the guise of objective analysts. Almost all are retired generals with access to the Pentagon brass & they were regularly briefed by the DOD. Nearly all of them have conflict of interest because they own shares in defense contract firms that do business with the Pentagon. The media is mostly mum on this matter. Fascism looms. The charge of liberal media bias is a canard.

younameit
younameit 05/09/08 - 04:08 am
"The love of money is the

"The love of money is the root of all (problems)." The liberal media stands to profit heavily from catastrophic, terrorist attacks. Thus, they promote policies that make us vulnerable. Liberal educators enjoy the job security that comes from pontificating on "current events" like the injustices of prosecuting "visiting middle eastern students" with a trunk filled with "fireworks." Take those so-called educators out of the classroom and they would starve. Until America finds a way to cut off the money supply (advertising dollars) to such citizens who, consciously or subconsciously, wish disastrous events for America, such Americans will be "the enemy among us."

christian134
christian134 05/09/08 - 05:01 am
Of course the media is

Of course the media is liberal....Liberalism sells whereas conservatism is just a downer....Many people run to hear the latest most sensational nonsensical "news"...It brings, it seems, a warped light into their lives....

JohnCarllStrauss
JohnCarllStrauss 05/09/08 - 05:06 am
Is Cain actually accusing

Is Cain actually accusing someone of stating their own oppinions or suspicions as if they are facts? Inconceivable! Well I guess he would recognize it better than anyone else!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/09/08 - 05:08 am
In the Manifesto, Karl Marx

In the Manifesto, Karl Marx outlined a brilliant plan for taking over a country. 1)gain control of the entertainment industry. 2)gain control of the education system. 3)gain control of the government. The media was the first to go totally liberal.

deeo1055@yahoo.com
deeo1055@yahoo.com 05/09/08 - 05:28 am
Lies and scandal "Sell news",

Lies and scandal "Sell news", and we are supposed to listen to that crap and buy in?? Publishers have built in "legal freedom of the press" defenses to raise when they wrong someone, especially if they don't like them. Who else has that advantage? All you have to do is look at the last 50 years of the Augusta Chronicle to see how "Mr. Billy" and friends abuse their enemies, manipulate temporary "poliitcal stars", and then trash them for more $. Local talk radiio is the same. Under such legal protection folks with noting but their own self interest TEMPORARILY PROSPER---but their end is obvious to most of us and will not come too soon. $, envy, greed, constitutional legal shield, scarred Judges=constanly stirred pot for now, their hard demise in the future. But oh the damage to us all until they get theirs.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/09/08 - 05:30 am
Just to clarify an arcane

Just to clarify an arcane point. Classic American Liberalism is not what reactionaries have complained about since Ronald Reagan ran for office making the "L word" anathema. When right-wing reactionaries complain about "liberal media" they are complaining about a perceived progressive or left-wing bias. I contend that commercial mass media in United States have neither a progressive nor a left-wing bias. They may occasionally have a progressive commentator among a bevy of mostly conservative commentators, but that is for show or a semblance of fairness. Commercial media in this country have a pro-business, pro-Establishment, right-wing bent. IMO United States has become a haven for right-wing extremism. The pendulum is beginning to swing back toward the center, but powerful, moneyed interests control mass media markets and thereby the mindset of passive consumers of aggressive, right-wing media.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/09/08 - 05:45 am
Why don't you instruct us on

Why don't you instruct us on how fascists come to power & take over a country, patriciathomas? Younameit claims that liberals consciously or subconsciously want disaster to befall United States. Liberals are "the enemy within" he/she parrots Michael Savage. This is insane! Liberals (or more accurately progressives) want this country to change its way. United States has every right to defend itself & even to use force preemptively when there is an imminent threat. What United States does not have a right to do is to fight so-called preventive wars against any group or nation which the Commander in Chief thinks might become a threat sometime in future. The Bush Doctrine is illegal. When United States acts illegally it is foolish for right-wingers to think there will not be negative consequences for those actions. United States finds itself essentially isolated in the world as a rogue nation. This is a big reason why both our foreign policy influence & our economy are faltering. War, especially illegal, unwinnable, political wars lead to deficits, debt, inflation, recession, or worse. Progressive do not wish economic, political & military defeat in Iraq & Afghanistan to befall United States. By demanding that we stay the course regardless of the inevitable consequences, the radical right & pro-war mass media insist on the humiliation and weakening of United States. That isn't patriotism. That is poppycock and for-profit, pulp propaganda.

shivas
shivas 05/09/08 - 05:46 am
The book Mr. Hunter read waas

The book Mr. Hunter read waas by the objective journalist, Anne Coulter. Let's face it, Fox News is a front for all Liberal plots to take over the country. I blame the failure of the republicans for pushing this country towards liberalism. George Bush is actually a liberal mole. No one could fail that miserably without doing it on purpose.

JohnRandolfHardosonCain
JohnRandolfHardosonCain 05/09/08 - 06:35 am
What you lowly peons need to

What you lowly peons need to understand is that I know absolutely everything there is to know. After all I AM smarter than the top quantum physicist in the world. Steven Hawking believes that Jesus Christ is the son of god.....what a moron! Albert Einstein believed in God.....How stupid was he? So for you little people to question when I state my opinions as being anything other than facts, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I know that the president is a criminal, even though I have no evidence of it. I need no evidence because as I stated earlier, I know every thing in the world. I also have never been wrong. You can tell, because I have never admitted being wrong............................Now let the whining begin.

stadry
stadry 05/09/08 - 06:41 am
john, not so,,, but you may

john, not so,,, but you may be in 2nd place :-)

JohnCarllStrauss
JohnCarllStrauss 05/09/08 - 06:46 am
shivas.....I don't agree.

shivas.....I don't agree. Carter failed that miserably, but I think he was really trying!

JohnRandolfHardosonCain
JohnRandolfHardosonCain 05/09/08 - 06:55 am
Attention Readers! The post

Attention Readers! The post at 7:35 was not posted by me, but by someone with a similar name...bla bla bla, boo hoo hoo. He is just trying to lessen my stellar reputation as the area's smartest man!

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/09/08 - 07:00 am
What I find ironic is that

What I find ironic is that many who declare Bush's actions as illegal are also the ones in support of illegal immigration. If it is illegal then it is criminal right? Given Fox is so popular one would assume that they are in touch with the majority of Americans and the other outlets out of touch. I find it offensive that many will characterize conservative or liberal extremists as an enemy or they are criminal, etc. when people are just following their convictions (need some mutual respect least you be enemies). Cain for example paints the right wing as fascist criminals yet I see no dictator (control of the state is Congress), and it is the Dem party platform for more control by the "state". I see no reason why you can't just disagree rather than paint your opposition as criminal, stupid, etc. Given the Communist Party USA's glowing support of the Dem party goals and ideology, I would say PatriciaThomas's concerns aren't completely unwarranted. The news media outlets are out to make money-aren't you.

justus4
justus4 05/09/08 - 07:25 am
This article is another

This article is another "talking point" argument from another conservative, when the all-media presents a story. Fact is, they are 97% white that decide which stories to run. So this poor article-writer has a problem with liberal whites, not the all-white media. Thats who he's talking about, so join the group. Minorities have to live with the garabage that the all-white, all-night media puts out daily and no one listens. Get use to it buddy, cause thats the way it is.

Freeman
Freeman 05/09/08 - 07:32 am
Mr Hunter did not ask the

Mr Hunter did not ask the right questions and did not ask the right persons or enough of them. And like Cain said, no one who is paid millions to host the news, or derivative shows referred to as news, will risk losing it like Dan Rather did. As for Congress controlling the laws and budgets, well that is partly true, but who controls Congress? Big money interests, that's who. Just like Cain said again, money talks. Therefore BS walks, and we're buying it. Hook line, and sinker.. So when money lobbies and demands their 'officials' vote for their interests they are paying them to vote for, is it correct to say Congress is in control? Not hardly. Its money, money, money. I've already addressed these questions in an earlier set of posts about 'mediated reality' the true definition of 'journalism' in America, and in the world.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/09/08 - 07:41 am
Mr. Freeman, if Dan Rather

Mr. Freeman, if Dan Rather had not reported lies as truths he would still be there. I do agree that money drives everything. But, IMO, the media slants very much to the left.

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/09/08 - 07:45 am
I agree and disagree justus.

I agree and disagree justus. I agree it is a majority white but that reflects the population. "Apparently" the majority of americans are white conservatives (I don't know this election makes me think otherwise)but you can't argue that the liberal view is not well expressed in the media. I would argue that the african-american minority has more standing in the media than other minorities-hispanic or asian. Although the hispanic influence is growing.

Freeman
Freeman 05/09/08 - 07:49 am
JTF, when Mr Rather reported

JTF, when Mr Rather reported the things that got him 'removed' it was because his sources were tainted purposely so that after his report it could be publicly debunked. He took the hit for the lying government that fed him the 'lies' he reported. As I said above, I covered this subject already earlier this week when I said the media was controlled by the government. I6t has neither a liberal or conservative bent or bias, the puppets do what the puppet masters make them do or they don't get to play in the public circus called the media. If you have never been a journalist as I have, then you don't have any foundation for your criticism of the media. I know how the system works.

Freeman
Freeman 05/09/08 - 07:56 am
Additionally, I might add,

Additionally, I might add, you should do this test for yourself. Every time you see one of those tv ads, count the number of times the images change in 15 seconds of any ad. Each change introduces a 'subliminal' message in an attempt to 'persuade' you that their product is worthy of your interest. The mind does not realize it is being 'hypnotized' into thinking exactly what the medium is trying to make you take action upon. The same is true of 'news sound-bites'. We hear the tid-bits we are fed and become hungry for more because it reaches our subconscious, we hear it repeatedly on every network with a few words changed to convince us it is different from the competing network, but ultimately, we become the automatons or 'puppets' we are made to become, because we 'trust' the face of our preferred media host or advertiser. It is called 'medium manipulation' a common practice among all forms of media.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/09/08 - 07:57 am
Notice how Bizarro throws in

Notice how Bizarro throws in the immigration issue to muddy the water. Who supports illegal immigration? No one! Progressives support immigration reform, an amnesty for undocumented workers already here, and a guest worker program. If anything it was big business that turned a blind eye to illegal immigration as long as it worked in their favor. A few short years ago, right wing radio talk show hosts including Augusta local legend Austin Rhodes were talking about how undocumented Mexican workers were "doing jobs that Americans do not want to do". Of course there were racial overtones in Rhodes comments. He implied that Blacks won't work while Mexicans will. That was the tone of the Republican radical right before popular public opinion turned xenophobic against Mexicans. Soon enough we were inundated with how Mexicans were impacting the judicial system, the health care system, the education system, the welfare system ad nauseum. How owns right wing talk radio? Big corporate media. The radical right rails against "political correctness", but then tee off when Barack Obama doesn't wear the obligatory American flag lapel pin. Get real! Right wing media rails against Jeremiah Wright but give Republicans a pass for connections to John Hagee, Rod Parsley, Sun Myung Moon, James Dobson, Michael Yousef, and other radicals of the religious right.

griesella
griesella 05/09/08 - 07:58 am
deepdo-do1055. Sorry you are

deepdo-do1055. Sorry you are n ot having a good day. The sun is shining, birds are singing, all is well. Smile

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/09/08 - 07:59 am
Congress is in control and

Congress is in control and the fact they are being bought does not negate their control. Just demonstrates the fact it can be bought. Which I agree is criminal-why vote if lobbyist rule. Money does drive everything-you, me, our economy and govt, every country and govt. I would hardly say money is the enemy given all of us are trying our best to accumulate some. The fact some succeed is not an argument to take their wealth or that wealth is evil. You can do a lot of good or a lot of bad with your wealth. In a free market-capitalistic society I find it paradoxial that so many dislike those who succeed. Physicians are often portrayed as ruthless and money grubbing, yet a professional sports player with a criminal record can make ten times the money and he is a hero and a role model for our kids. Go figure.

griesella
griesella 05/09/08 - 07:59 am
randolf.You behave your bad

randolf.You behave your bad self.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/09/08 - 07:59 am
Freeman, well excuse me. I

Freeman, well excuse me. I did not know you were the authority and last word on this subject, I stand corrected. I will, if you don't mind, still consider your conspiracy theory, bunk.

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/09/08 - 08:16 am
Dang Cain you have never made

Dang Cain you have never made an on point argument you constantly mention aside issues or off topic comments.. "Progressives support immigration reform, an amnesty for undocumented workers already here, and a guest worker program." So are you saying people can commit a crime and then request amnesty for the illegal crime because it has already been committed? That is the implication of your logic. We already have a guest worker program just illegals don't use it. I worked with guest workers from china, japan, europe, etc. Tell me how your suggestions negates the fact that the mexicans broke federal law when entering our country. I guess you have no problem with terrorist illegally entering the country-time for the chickens to come home to roost eh Cain. Your suggestions support illegal immigration because it negates a crime was ever committed (we should allow all the Haitians to enter too , right), it ignores standing laws related to illegal immigration and worker visas, wait, wait, wait. I'm wrong amnesty is the way. President Bush is a war criminal and he fashioned an illegal war so I think we should follow Cain's lead and suggest amnesty for any crimes.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 05/09/08 - 08:24 am
Bizarro, I don't hire

Bizarro, I don't hire undocumented workers. Take your case up with Tyson Chicken and other big business firms that knowingly hired illegal workers. I'm for punishing the big fish who drive the system and make fortunes not the little fish who are here to feed their families. You are scapegoating on Mexicans who were lured here to work for generations. But when you can blame somebody besides our own - by all means scapegoat on the little guy whether he be American or Mexican. It worked for the Nazis.

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/09/08 - 08:25 am
Yep amnesty is the solution.

Yep amnesty is the solution. We should empty the prisons with anmesty. That will save us big bucks. We should try Bush for war crimes and then after proving his guilt offer amnesty as Cain suggests. Cain is a forgiving fellow is all I can say.

Freeman
Freeman 05/09/08 - 08:30 am
JTF- Here is a simple quote

JTF- Here is a simple quote from my intro to mass media text in my first freshman class, since you don't believe me:
.."what an individual tells himself approximates 'reality.'...communications is accurate to the extent one person understands another's sentiments, values etc, ...on the mass level accuracy is often viewed as the extent to which information transmitted by a source has been acquired and retained by the 'audience'. Mass communication produces a linking process enabling us to feel connected to the whole population, it brings about a synthesis of these values... whether we believe it (what is being communicated) is true or not, mediated reality provides reinforcement of that belief." Mass culture is used to identify the effect of mass media. In the world of instant communication, everything we do affects everyone else all the time. This is mass culture. (MediaAmerica, c.1987, wadsworth inc, Whetmore, Edward Jay) From Chapter one.

Bizarro
Bizarro 05/09/08 - 08:31 am
I'm not scapegoating. I'm

I'm not scapegoating. I'm talking about illegal mexican immigrants (not Haitians or another source). I had nothing to do with their choice to break the law. Should the poor kid who sells dope on the corner be given amnesty for his illegal activities because of the lure of easy money and the fact he is poor. I get the impression because I disagree with you that you are characterizing me as a Nazi. My retort: I know you didn't drop out of graduate school you failed out. Well over half of the students who started their PhDs and Masters work with me failed out too. It take the best and brightest to achieve in an academic setting. No. Maybe state it simpler. Yuck Fou. Fother Mucker. Yep short and sweet. Hee,hee.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...